Help Installing OSx86 on a Gateway P-7805u

sega_phreak

340 posts in this topic

I am also working on getting leopard installed on this same laptop... I have tried Ideneb and Iaktos, with multitple configurations. It installs without error, but when starting up with -v swithch it freezes at:

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 669CE1E4-3509-3E06-AEDF-CEFE08E218B7

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Just a little update for anyone listening, I finally found a good install configuration with Hazard's 10.6.2 combo Snow Leopard distro. (Choose ALL AHCI fixes, NvEnabler and NOT NvInject, no DSDT patch, and default vanilla kernel). Video card recognized perfectly instantly along with full QE/CI, no weird OSx86Tools errors, and 64-bit boot w/ no flags.

PS2 support was tricky, it worked by default but no trackpad configuration support. I searched for a long time and finally found this kext which worked beautifully for me.

Now all I have left to get working is Sleep, and maybe a better audio driver. No internal Mic support, and having the same problem as Blueman now, where I'd like headphones to be automatically detected on plugin.

Anyone who could shed some light on those issues, I'm all ears. In the meantime I'll post if I get anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update if there's anyone out there.

I decided to try the myHack USB installation method, and it worked beautifully. Little known fact (or not) that our machine's hardware configuration is almost perfect for running a fully vanilla install of 10.6 - and that is exactly what I'm doing now. Vanilla kernel, and my /System/Library/Extensions/ folder is literally untouched. (I stuck a few kexts in /Extra :whistle: )

The main difference is that overall stability and speed have improved 500%. After patching my DSDT I can get from Chameleon to Desktop in less than 30 secs, and most apps launch within the first "bounce" on the dock :help:

Used same Voodoo kexts as last time, and there are some useful tips in this thread.

The only big issue is that I'm STILL having the same problems with sleep. Screen sleeps, so do my disks, and everything else hangs. Luckily after disabling safe sleep and deleting sleepimage, the system can recover from a hard reset after that.

Also, I'm having a weird internet issue that is keeping me from booting in x64 mode. I posted a thread on it in hopes to get some insight, if you guys want to have a look.

More to come!!

• 2 weeks later...

this is my first post but...ive been lurking around here...

so far iatkos v7 works really well for the gateway fx p-7805u / 7805u (i have the 1920x1200)

working:

CI/QE

complete graphics card info

wifi (changed to a bcm9432)

audio (pops at times but a restart helps fix it)

so far so good.

not workin/untested

2-finger scroll

esata

hdmi

vga

card reader slots

here's what i chose from the customize options

-iatkos v7

-chameleon v2

-extra dir

-dsdt

-appledecrypt

-smbiosenabler (believe it or not, without this, CI/QE didnt work for me) this is under smbios enablerS

-kernel 9.5

-apic driver

-disabler

-ohr

-vga/dvi

-nvenabler

-nvinject

-nvdarwin

-ahci

-intel sata/ide

-speedstep driver

-usb

-voodoo hda

-apple ps2

-laptop battery

-post install

i didnt choose anything for the network/wired/wireless (bcm9432 still worked)

i hope this helps.

by the way, i have another bcm9432 ($20 paypal or come get it. im in orange county california).

Alright guys, for those who are just starting a fresh install, I would really recommend trying out this method for Vanilla 10.6. I've got a fully-functional system running right now, including speedstepping, 64-bit, and sleep. It's.... beautiful..... *tear*

Like I said before, the myHack method worked really nicely out of the box. I chose from the install options:

- com.apple.Boot.plist

- GraphicsEnabler

- ApplePS2Controller (temporary)

- EvOreboot.kext

- IOATAFamily.kext

- LegacyAppleRTC.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- SleepEnabler.kext

Upon first boot, you can easily get your graphics card fully working by editing /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and changing the "pciroot" value from 1 to 0.

Before installing and changing any extensions, I recommend downloading OSx86Tools and backing them up to a secure location.

Go to voodooprojects.org and download VoodooBattery.kext, VoodooPowerAcpi.kext, and VoodooMonitor.kext, and install them (I like using Kext Helper b7) to enable battery meter and power management respectively.

A special 10.6 compile of VoodooPS2 and VoodooHDA can be found here. Be sure to remove AppleHDA.kext and ApplePS2.kext afterwards, or else the changes will not work. (Also if you installed the new kexts to /Extra/ then also delete the old AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.)

To enable 64-bit booting and the independence from LegacyAppleRTC, I edited my DSDT. I did many other edits, including the UHCI fix to enable sleep. If wanted, I can simply upload my DSDT.aml file (since we all have the same bios!) Mainly you need to fix the CMOS reset problem, and the USB UHCI fix. If you're a DSDT noob like I was, I reccomend DSDTSE. It's a great program that really helps you understand what you're doing (rather than just doing it for you).

At that point you can delete all the disabler kexts from /Extra/, including EvOreboot, LegacyAppleRTC, NullCPUPowerManagement, and SleepEnabler.

Anyways that's what I got so far. Everything major is working like a dream. Still working on card reader support, and a better audio driver. Also, this thread has some great links that really helped me out with sleep+speedstepping.

Yeah if you follow my above method, you're gonna want to go with an original retail install disc, just like it says in the myHack guide. Not allowed to post any links here, but a simple search on Google or The Pirate Bay for "Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail DVD" or something similar should bring up plenty of options...

Also don't worry if it's just 10.6.0, if you keep your system vanilla then the updates should work without a problem afterwards.

Sounds good Pol, I shall try it soon. I recently had to fix someones dell laptop and it had a broadcom joint in it. i switched it out with my 5100 and bam!.... airport in this muthafo. I didnt see anything about lan listed, is that workin out the box too? Extra optional question. Have you tried running win7 through parrallels?

Lol!! Switching the wifi on a customer's computer.... you sneaky little bugger you ;-)

Anyways, no I don't believe LAN is working OOB. I never mentioned it because I never ever use my lan port... so sorry about that. I have heard of people getting it to work though.

As for your "optional" question, I choose to answer it. Not only am I running 7 alongside SL, I am also running Ubuntu 9.10. FYI my disk configuration is as follows: HD1 (default 320GB), Win7 on first partition, Linux on 2nd and 3rd. HD2 (100GB) Snow Leo... I used to use BootThink to boot all three as it worked beautifully and automatically detected linux, but it started giving me bad problems so I use chameleon now... still working on booting linux from it (though I haven't tried very hard).

P.S. keep in mind NTFS-3G will NOT work in 64-bit at this time. I am too scared to enable R/W on the native driver... will back up my windows system then try it. haha

I would like a copy of your dsdt.dsl, TheOriginalPol.

I've excessively modified mine trying to get sleep working (doing the native speed step stuff, etc) and to no avail, but its definitely something to do with the DSDT and UHCI. I posted my copy of the stuff & kexts (exact same ones you found) a while back in a different thread.

Would love to see your modified DSDT.DSL though! Thanks!

Sorry about the delay -- just got accepted to my first college of choice (no, I'm not still in high school!) so I've been swamped... plus I had to finish/submit the album art design for my band's new album... not to mention I just got a shiny new keyboard+amp so I haven't seen the light of day for a while now ;-)

Anyways, here's my DSDT.dsl as requested. Enjoy, I hope it works as excellently on your system as it does on mine. NOTE: I had to rename the extension to .txt in order to upload it, so make sure to change it BACK to .dsl. Cheers.

Oh, and one more side note: I still am having a problem where half the time when I sleep my machine, it instantly wakes back up... when it happens it usually can be fixed by changing USB configuration (plugging/unplugging something) -- but it's still rather annoying. I've been busy so haven't tried very hard to fix the problem, but if anyone has any insight on this it would be awesome.

dsdt.txt

Installed snow leopard using TheOriginalPol's method. Worked very well. Manged to get mostly everything working. Haven't tried the sleep fix yet. Got wifi to work with a usb adapter. Have not been able to get the webcam to work. Was wondering if anyone knew of a fix. Also I ran Cinebench 11.5 on snow leopard. My opengl score was only 9.42 fps which I thought was low for our machine. If anyone else runs Cinebench let me know your results. (its free btw).

-Thanks

Blue

this is my first post but...ive been lurking around here...

so far iatkos v7 works really well for the gateway fx p-7805u / 7805u (i have the 1920x1200)

working:

CI/QE

complete graphics card info

wifi (changed to a bcm9432)

audio (pops at times but a restart helps fix it)

so far so good.

not workin/untested

2-finger scroll

esata

hdmi

vga

card reader slots

here's what i chose from the customize options

-iatkos v7

-chameleon v2

-extra dir

-dsdt

-appledecrypt

-smbiosenabler (believe it or not, without this, CI/QE didnt work for me) this is under smbios enablerS

-kernel 9.5

-apic driver

-disabler

-ohr

-vga/dvi

-nvenabler

-nvinject

-nvdarwin

-ahci

-intel sata/ide

-speedstep driver

-usb

-voodoo hda

-apple ps2

-laptop battery

-post install

i didnt choose anything for the network/wired/wireless (bcm9432 still worked)

i hope this helps.

by the way, i have another bcm9432 ($20 paypal or come get it. im in orange county california).

Thank you so much for your contribution, I need a version of OSX installed to follow the Vanilla Kernel MyHack method that TheOriginalPol's has done. Without first getting a basic installation of OSX I would not be able to follow the instructions.

Again, Thank you very much :-)

TheOriginalPol - "Upon first boot, you can easily get your graphics card fully working by editing /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and changing the "pciroot" value from 1 to 0."

Would I system restart after this change has been made, and upon system change would graphics then be fully enabled?

Cheers and thank you for your time, also congratulations on the college acceptance!

After trying TheOriginalPol's method, I successfully booted into Snow Leopard and was drooling over the gorgeousness in no time at all. This morning I went to boot into Snow Leopard and it won't boot past the MyHack loading screen (the first MyHack screen with the bar).

I have tried not having any USB devices plugged in during boot, didn't work. I tried plugging USB devices in during boot, didn't work. I have had "Legacy USB" disabled since I started the installation, so I know it isn't that.

A little more information; I have Windows 7 on my main drive (that came with the laptop) and Snow Leopard was installed on a 160gb Samsung hard drive, located in the second internal drive bay.

Other than just installing the VoodooHDA and iWork I can't see what I did wrong. I am hoping it's my drive and not the installation, because I really want this to work. My plan is to get rid of Windows, and install Snow Leopard on the stock standard drive next weekend.

Anyway ideas on what could be going wrong?

Many thanks for your time,

-Deano

Also I didn't change my DSDT or take any files out of my Extra folder or Boot, even after installing Voodoo HDA and Voodoo Battery - do you guys think that may be what is wrong? Maybe next time I should follow every aspect of TheOriginalPol's instructions, even down to using the DSDT file.

Thanks again,

-Deano

Also, hate to jam the forum - but is there an easy way to install the DSDT file? I have downloaded DSDTSE and unless I am missing something the "Install" option stays grayed out. Do I have to compile the DSDT before I can install it?

Anyway, sorry to ask yet more questions :-(

-Deano

I figured out the DSDT install issue, I will just cross my fingers and hope it works. I am pretty sure it is was the lack of TheOriginalPol's edited DSDT that caused the issue with my booting of the first attempt at vanilla Snow Leopard.

My install fails to boot now also. I only installed the new version of itunes and microsoft office. I didn't install the modded DSDT file. Deano did you find a way to boot into Snow Leopard or did you have to reload it? I am also wondering if the new DSDT file fixes the problem.

Thanks

-Blue

Okay, I have just spent another few hours reloading Snow Leopard onto my computer, after the failier to boot. Again I install the first round of updates from Apple everything goes fine. I install Voodoo HDA and VoodooPS2, restart and all is fine.

Then I download TheOriginalPol's DSDT file and install it using DSDTSE - I have no way knowing whether it has sucessfully installed as I have no idea how to tell. I install second round of updates from Apple, and then after a restart my computers goes through the normal boot process and stops at the iHack screen.

I have no idea what's going on, all I know is that it's frustrating as hell. At this point I know it isn't Windows 7 on the other internal hard drive, it's either something to do with the second round of Apple updates or my computer needs to have that DSDT file and I didn't install it correctly (high likelyhood).

-Deano

Found issue, SleepEnabler.kext is not compatable with 10.6.2 update from Apple. Or at least mine wasn't. So I got the new one from here 10.6.2 Compatible SleepEnabler

I installed it in the Extras folder and in another one located in the system. I installed it by simply using my Windows 7 and Macdrive to drag and drop the new Kext's into place.

Hope this helps!

-Deano

After trying TheOriginalPol's method, I successfully booted into Snow Leopard and was drooling over the gorgeousness in no time at all. This morning I went to boot into Snow Leopard and it won't boot past the MyHack loading screen (the first MyHack screen with the bar).

I have tried not having any USB devices plugged in during boot, didn't work. I tried plugging USB devices in during boot, didn't work. I have had "Legacy USB" disabled since I started the installation, so I know it isn't that.

A little more information; I have Windows 7 on my main drive (that came with the laptop) and Snow Leopard was installed on a 160gb Samsung hard drive, located in the second internal drive bay.

Other than just installing the VoodooHDA and iWork I can't see what I did wrong. I am hoping it's my drive and not the installation, because I really want this to work. My plan is to get rid of Windows, and install Snow Leopard on the stock standard drive next weekend.

Anyway ideas on what could be going wrong?

Many thanks for your time,

-Deano

Just a little correction here.

I said before you should disable USB Legacy when booting for iatkos V7, but, for the myHack installation, you need to enable USB legacy or your computer will not detect your USB drive during the boot.

Then just follow instructions of myHack (booting from USB drive, select the Snow Leopard installed partition, install myHack)

other thing:

for the DSDT.dsl, just compile it with DSDTSE. You will see a dsdt.aml, rename it to DSDT.aml and put it in the EXTRA folder (without the bugging software)

There are many hints to see if it works. For myself, I didn't have know stupid CMOS reset and sleep now restart by himself instead of crashing and do nothing with a CMOS reset surprise at the end.

Otherwise, if you('re able to)see the line localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete when booting with -v , it works