Help Installing OSx86 on a Gateway P-7805u

sega_phreak

340 posts in this topic

There's nothing wrong with being 32bit MaX2, Snow Leopard is shipped that way and for a reason. Snow Leopard doesn't work in the same way that Windows does, it can run 64bit applications in the 32bit environment. So in effect you are already getting a 64bit utilization while in "32bit".

Besides, the iLife suite (09) for example, doesn't even ship in 64bit. So for most casual users of Mac OSX 64bit offers no gain in performance per se. The same can also be said for Windows.

I am a 3D artist and I can tell you now that there is nothing to worry about with being in a 32bit environment from a professional standpoint. Yes, you can see certain gains in certain areas. But they're just not substantial enough for the average user (or even a lot of professionals) to switch.

So in short, though you are running SL in 32bit - it's not as black and white as running 32bit in Windows.

And to TheOriginalPol - to get you DSDT to boot into 64bit on my laptop I had to change the boot/plist file in extras folder to "arch=86_64" I will simply change this back again and it will read your DSDT but ignore booting into 64bit. Like it did before. Simple.

-Deano

Well that last bit doesn't make any sense to me... but whatever. DSDT works fine for me, both in x32 and x64. Anyways I agree with what you said about 32 v. 64, in fact I decided to add arch=i386 back into boot.plist and use 32 bit mode... for me, it's just nicer because there are so many more things that work correctly in it -- you know, voodoomonitor, NTFS-3G, all of my recording device drivers...

Although I will say I have noticed a rather... well, noticeable drop in overall system performance.

I've had no noticeable drop in performance since being in the "32bit" environment. Maya, Final Cut and Aperture all run along faster than I can create. Which I couldn't be happier with. I now also have HDMI video and audio out which I didn't with 10.5. So that's a nice little addition I wasn't expecting to work.

Now it's just a matter of sorting out the webcam, though I'm in no rush. I have tried many different ideas - including Camtwist, to no avail. It's probably a good thing the camera is terrible, or it'd probably be the last thing to itch away at me.

Glad to see others are having a good experience too!

-Deano

Webcam will never work properly.

It does work in flash applications though by default. (betcha didn't know that!)

And you definitely want to boot 64 bit mode. I have NO problems with 64 bit mode here, and I do use applications that take advantage of it. (Logic Pro 9, if you must know.)

I personally know for a fact if you are not using a DSDT with a gateway p-series laptop, you will NOT have sleep support.

Also, enjoy resetting all of your bios options every reboot. Snow leopard tends to corrupt cmos data without a - you guessed it - DSDT fix.

In summary, do a bit more research on what DSDT actually is and what you are modifying.

It sure is nice to have only 3 kexts on my system. Those are NVEnabler, VoodooHDA and VoodooPS2.

I couldn't agree more, Necro (about DSDT). Do you have the same model as us? (the 7805u?) If so, I'd love to check out your DSDT.dsl for comparing, if you wouldn't mind uploading it.

P.S. Interesting tidbit about flash/webcam. However CamTwist still also works perfectly for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to TheOriginalPol and Deano for the Snow Leopard help in the last 2 pages. I've got little to no BSD or OSX experience and by following the directions in here I got a (mostly) working Snow Leopard installation in just a few hours!

VoodooPowerACPI and VoodooPowerMini didn't work for me (no speedstepping) but VoodooPower (thanks Deano) did. VoodooHDA for audio works great, VoodooPS2Controller/Trackpad for multitouch swiping, DSDT fixed sleep issues (among other things), eSATA works, QE works, etc!

Only things not working (that I've tested): Intel 5100 wireless & SD card reader. Anyone had any luck with those?

Picked up a Belkin F5D8053 wireless N USB adapter (RTL2870 chipset) for $25 and it works great.

Thanks for all the help guys!

• 2 weeks later...

TheOriginalPol

is myHack the last method you used ?

by the way i been following this for a a while now and i decided to try it out on my p7805u with dual boot windows 7 and Osx snow lep but with fresh installs, what do i try to install 1st?

no ones posted on this for two week now!!! is it deaD!

;)

If you do it the way I did, then it doesn't matter because you're installing the systems on two different hard drives. I have Windows 7 on my first hard drive, and Snow Leo on my second one. Since they both have their own MBRs, the bootloaders don't interfere with one another. It's also nice because I can remove one disk and it doesn't affect booting into the other system.

I'd prolly install Windows first though, just because you might need it (+ Macdrive 7) for accessing your Mac disk in case you can't boot from it for any reason.

P.S. Mick, glad to know we helped get your system going ;) For the record, that wifi card doesn't work and probably never will... your best bet would be to replace it with an AirPort card, like many others in this thread did... As far as SD goes, there's a kext out there called VoodooSDHC that I've messed with a little, but no luck. Feel free to explore more with it (and let us know if you get any love!)

Here's the version I have (which obviously doesn't work for me)

VoodooSDHC.kext.zip

If you do it the way I did, then it doesn't matter because you're installing the systems on two different hard drives. I have Windows 7 on my first hard drive, and Snow Leo on my second one. Since they both have their own MBRs, the bootloaders don't interfere with one another. It's also nice because I can remove one disk and it doesn't affect booting into the other system.

I'd prolly install Windows first though, just because you might need it (+ Macdrive 7) for accessing your Mac disk in case you can't boot from it for any reason.

P.S. Mick, glad to know we helped get your system going :rolleyes: For the record, that wifi card doesn't work and probably never will... your best bet would be to replace it with an AirPort card, like many others in this thread did... As far as SD goes, there's a kext out there called VoodooSDHC that I've messed with a little, but no luck. Feel free to explore more with it (and let us know if you get any love!)

Here's the version I have (which obviously doesn't work for me)

I noticed that you had your HDMI output working. I'm getting this issue when I try to connect my HDMI cable to another monitor:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...214129&st=0

Apparently it worked in 10.6.2 but doesn't in 10.6.3. Is yours working in 10.6.3?

I don't have any extra graphics kexts at all, just using GraphicsEnabler. Working fine except for HDMI out.

Well... that link won't work for me, but I actually do have an issue with HDMI as well, when I try to hook it up to my 60''.

Sometimes when I do it it works fine, but most of the time, it will flicker on and off every second or so, with a millisecond glimpse of the actual output image and then some static (yes, static. Oldschool, huh?). No sound at all as far as I've noticed. Is that the same issue you're having?

EDIT: Actually I take it back, there is sound output when the video out works, once I switch it in Prefs. However it is extremely distorted, and almost sounds like someone is adding a Ring Mod effect and then dropping the pitch two octaves (The Cranberries sound like a robot clone of Johnny Cash).

Any ideas, anyone?

Actually I haven't even tried sound via HDMI yet. I'm just trying to get video out on it. I wish I'd tried before updating to 10.6.3 so I'd know if that was the cause.

When I plug the HDMI cable into a monitor, the monitor comes out of power saving mode but stays completely black. The laptop monitor fades blue for a moment (I think this is normal with video settings changing?) then returns, but when the desktop appears again, nothing responds to mouse clicks! If I unplug the HDMI cable, I can use the desktop again. Weird... The HDMI connected monitor stays black through the whole process.

OSX recognizes the external monitor - when I go into display preferences after unplugging the HDMI it will sometimes have the correct make & model of my external monitor listed.

I've read a lot of suggestions to update the device id in NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext but is that necessary when OSX is recognizing my card correctly already? I'll give it a try and post later.

Here's the link I meant to post before:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...214129&st=0

Plenty of people having the same problem.

Some guys have had some luck here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...7377&st=260

Try using the NVDANV50Hal.kext & NVDAResman.kext posted at the very bottom (#40) of this thread:

http://osx86.net/f7/snow-leopard-applehda-...4735/page4.html

P.S. I posted this exact same link three pages ago, FYI.

Thanks for the suggestion but the 10.6.1 kexts do not work in 10.6.3. It just boots to a blank blue screen.

Tried adding the device ID to the NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext Info.plist files but no dice, same problem.

I've read that some people have had success with EFI GFX strings. No idea what they're about but I'll read up and try that out later. Apparently there's an alternative bootloader based on Chameleon RC4 that injects these automatically and those using aren't having this issue.

I just finished DL'n snow leopard final from TPB, i also converted the file to an ISO image and about to burn to a Dl Disc. now the part that is confusing me is the USB part, can someone please provide me instructions or a guide to have a successful install?

I definitely know about EFI strings (haven't messed with them since DSDT override came out) but I did not know that they could automatically be detected and loaded, if that's what you are saying. Crazy.

Anyways, good news!! I'm posting a version of VoodooHDA that woks MUCH better with our chipset! The internal mic works great, and headphones are now automatically detected on plug (FINALLY). Sleep works, mute works, and even HDMI *sorta* works. Only if I do the exact following:

-Choose it from the output menu in Prefs

-Open up Audio Midi Setup.app

-click HDMI output and "Configure Speakers..."

-SWITCH the left and right speakers around

-then change format to 2ch-16bit

-THEN change format to 48000hz

...in that exact order. Only. Then sound becomes clear and not distorted. I'd love to see if anyone else can recreate this, as I think it's the most hilarious solution ever.

Anyways.

I'm also completely rebuilding my DSDT, so I'll post that when I'm finished as well.

Aussie:

The point of the USB installer is not to use a disc. Instead, you are writing the image to a USB stick and booting off of THAT. Same thing, really -- just way faster, and the filesystem is still writable. Just go to the myHack website, I swear it's really plain and clear. Also, make sure you enable Legacy USB in your BIOS.

EDIT: almost forgot -- credit and thanks to Goldcity for that modified VoodooHDA.

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

I just finished DL'n snow leopard final from TPB, i also converted the file to an ISO image and about to burn to a Dl Disc. now the part that is confusing me is the USB part, can someone please provide me instructions or a guide to have a successful install?

I just made an image of the retail SL DVD into a DMG and 'burned' that to a USB stick. What format was your SL image originally? You probably didn't need to convert to ISO but you should be able to follow the directions on the myHack page with an ISO just the same.

I won't repeat all the directions but basically you're writing the SL DVD image to a USB stick and then you're installing myHack on to the USB stick (includes the Chamelon bootloader and some kexts, etc.) After that you should be able to boot from USB and install Snow Leopard.

Be aware that on our machines you'll need a USB keyboard and USB mouse during the installation and until you get VoodooPS2Controller installed on Snow Leopard after installation.

I definitely know about EFI strings (haven't messed with them since DSDT override came out) but I did not know that they could automatically be detected and loaded, if that's what you are saying. Crazy.

Anyways, good news!! I'm posting a version of VoodooHDA that woks MUCH better with our chipset! The internal mic works great, and headphones are now automatically detected on plug (FINALLY). Sleep works, mute works, and even HDMI *sorta* works. Only if I do the exact following:

-Choose it from the output menu in Prefs

-Open up Audio Midi Setup.app

-click HDMI output and "Configure Speakers..."

-SWITCH the left and right speakers around

-then change format to 2ch-16bit

-THEN change format to 48000hz

...in that exact order. Only. Then sound becomes clear and not distorted. I'd love to see if anyone else can recreate this, as I think it's the most hilarious solution ever.

Anyways.

I'm also completely rebuilding my DSDT, so I'll post that when I'm finished as well.

Aussie:

The point of the USB installer is not to use a disc. Instead, you are writing the image to a USB stick and booting off of THAT. Same thing, really -- just way faster, and the filesystem is still writable. Just go to the myHack website, I swear it's really plain and clear. Also, make sure you enable Legacy USB in your BIOS.

EDIT: almost forgot -- credit and thanks to Goldcity for that modified VoodooHDA.

Thanks for posting the modified VoodooHDA!

The bootloader I was talking about is AsereBLN. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I'm hoping to today.

I'd love to check out that new DSDT whenever it's done too, the last one was great!

Hello all, I'm a recently joined member of the Hackintosh community with my Gigabyte i5 desktop pc... after having success with that I decided to look into installing SL on my Gateway 7805u. Prompt google searching brings of only a few tidbits of info regarding this install.... the main one being this thread itself.

After reading through the many pages of this thread and trying to evaluate the best way to approach this install (considering the advancements made over such extended period of time), I went a completely different route. I decided to install my purchased retail vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my laptop the same way I did on my desktop pc... and that was by using TonyMac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

Basically, all you need is a burned [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd courtesy of Tonymac and the link above. And a copy of Snow Leopard. The only adjustments made when entering Bios are to adjust Boot disk priority to CD. You don't even need to disable LEGACY USB! And throughout the whole install to bootup.. I didn't have to connect an external mouse or keyboard as the computer recognized the laptop's keyboard and trackpad! Annndd sound works right out of the box as well. Display works too.

Has anyone else tried this? I thought I would pipe in.. bc I'm new to the scene and not very comfortable with kexts and editing DSDT's. The only things that don't work are the ethernet and of course the wireless card... but we know the remedy to that. I am unable to check firewire.

My only concern is that there can be optimizing that can be done to further utilize the hardware. Some programs seem to lag a but (ie the multiple bounces of docked applications before they are actually displayed onscreen). I played songs in itunes though and there doesn't seem to be sound lagging, I haven't tried Mic in or HDMI out yet...

Huh. That install method seems pretty cool... essentially I think it's the same as myHack method (use small installer to temporarily enable booting from a retail install disc, then use same installer on the actual system), only more or less thorough. You are right, just as with the myHack method, it is very basic (so that it may work for a wider variety of equipment or course) and there are many more things that can be done afterwards to increase your system's performance and functionality.

Speaking of increased functionality, has anyone ever tried the VGA out?? For the year and a half I've had Leo on this machine, it never worked for me -- but I just now tried plugging in an external monitor, clicked "Detect Displays" in prefs, and BAM! It works beautifully!! I can finally use my recording & graphics editing software like I used to....

Huh. That install method seems pretty cool... essentially I think it's the same as myHack method (use small installer to temporarily enable booting from a retail install disc, then use same installer on the actual system), only more or less thorough. You are right, just as with the myHack method, it is very basic (so that it may work for a wider variety of equipment or course) and there are many more things that can be done afterwards to increase your system's performance and functionality.

Speaking of increased functionality, has anyone ever tried the VGA out?? For the year and a half I've had Leo on this machine, it never worked for me -- but I just now tried plugging in an external monitor, clicked "Detect Displays" in prefs, and BAM! It works beautifully!! I can finally use my recording & graphics editing software like I used to....

Yeah - not sure when VGA support started working (I updated to 10.6.3 immediately) but it works perfectly.

Unfortunately I need digital video output, but HDMI->DVI works for now.

Thanks for the suggestion but the 10.6.1 kexts do not work in 10.6.3. It just boots to a blank blue screen.

Well I can upload my NV kexts, who knows maybe they're different. Try these and see if you get any love. If you get errors or KP's try putting them in /Extra, that's actually where I have mine. Also double check that your Boot.plist has both Graphics Enabler=y and PciRoot=0.

Links (too big to upload here):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zwztqvzy3ht/...V40Hal.kext.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmigitzntkj/...V50Hal.kext.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n2nynijnnoj/...Resman.kext.zip

Well I can upload my NV kexts, who knows maybe they're different. Try these and see if you get any love. If you get errors or KP's try putting them in /Extra, that's actually where I have mine. Also double check that your Boot.plist has both Graphics Enabler=y and PciRoot=0.

Links (too big to upload here):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zwztqvzy3ht/...V40Hal.kext.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmigitzntkj/...V50Hal.kext.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n2nynijnnoj/...Resman.kext.zip

Thanks! I'll give those a try later today.

Hello all, I'm a recently joined member of the Hackintosh community with my Gigabyte i5 desktop pc... after having success with that I decided to look into installing SL on my Gateway 7805u. Prompt google searching brings of only a few tidbits of info regarding this install.... the main one being this thread itself.

After reading through the many pages of this thread and trying to evaluate the best way to approach this install (considering the advancements made over such extended period of time), I went a completely different route. I decided to install my purchased retail vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my laptop the same way I did on my desktop pc... and that was by using TonyMac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

Basically, all you need is a burned [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd courtesy of Tonymac and the link above. And a copy of Snow Leopard. The only adjustments made when entering Bios are to adjust Boot disk priority to CD. You don't even need to disable LEGACY USB! And throughout the whole install to bootup.. I didn't have to connect an external mouse or keyboard as the computer recognized the laptop's keyboard and trackpad! Annndd sound works right out of the box as well. Display works too.

Has anyone else tried this? I thought I would pipe in.. bc I'm new to the scene and not very comfortable with kexts and editing DSDT's. The only things that don't work are the ethernet and of course the wireless card... but we know the remedy to that. I am unable to check firewire.

My only concern is that there can be optimizing that can be done to further utilize the hardware. Some programs seem to lag a but (ie the multiple bounces of docked applications before they are actually displayed onscreen). I played songs in itunes though and there doesn't seem to be sound lagging, I haven't tried Mic in or HDMI out yet...

i installed successfully and i also updated but it turns out that once i updated im stuck at a load screen

Loaded Hfs+file [system/Library/coreservices/systemversion.plist] 479 bytes from 435afb0

what does that mean?