Help Installing OSx86 on a Gateway P-7805u

sega_phreak

340 posts in this topic

Well I'd definitely recommend giving the modded DSDT a try. For the record, it is incredibly simple to install. Once you download DSDTSE and open DSDT.dsl with it, click "Compile". Then with the Finder window that pops up, take dsdt.aml (note: *AML*) and drop it to the root of your OS X drive. That's it. It will be automatically loaded by Chameleon upon next boot.

Diano, what exactly does the loading screen do? The only time I've ever had that problem was after having to hard-reset my computer when it froze while trying to sleep. (If that's the problem, go here.)

I figured out through trial and error the real problem all along with my computer not booting into SL was not the SleepEnabler, as the one that comes with the latest MyHack is tested upto 10.6.3 beta update. What the problem actually was, was my Legacy USB was still turned enabled from booting and installing SL from the USB drive.

Now I have updated to 10.6.2 without any issues, legacy USB is off and everything is working fine. And unlike iATKOS v7, my USB devices are detected and mounted the second I plug them in!

As for the DSDT file, I will give it a try with what TheOriginalPol suggested (cheers mate!) and hopefully, for a while that should be it as far as system changes that I make :-)

Many thanks for everyones continued help, even when I'm being a whiny expat!

-Deano

Trying to open TheOriginalPol's DSDT file in DSDTSE I get this error and I am unable to to compile.

"Loading Acpi table from file ./dsdt.aml

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

AML Disassembler version 20090730 [Aug 12 2009]

Copyright © 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

TableHeader length [0x6E49202A] greater than the input file size [0x414E6]

Could not get table from the file"

Any ideas?

Okay, another quick question ... I have compiled the DSDT and then placed it in my root directory. Nothing happened, well not as I know of. TheOriginalPol states that his machine is booting in 30 seconds, mine doesn't. It still goes to the firsts MyHack loading screen, with the bar. Then to the second, with the swirl.

As far as I can tell the DSDT has done nothing, does that mean I need to also place the file in the "Extras" folder. Or does it simply mean it doesn't work with my computer?

I have also noticed the iLife suite doesn't quite the punch it should when loading. I'm updating the suite now and will see if it improves anything, performance wise.

Is there anything in MyHack files or settings that I can do to speed up boot?

Right enough typing from me for a while!

-Deano

Stop counting the booting time of myHack, you can just press 2 times on enter and the delay will disappear.

It you want to set the myHack time before booting MacOsX, just enter Timeout=TIMEYOUWANT in boot.plist and then repair permission

Max is right, that first loading bar is simply a timer.

As far as your DSDT, it sounds like you compiled a bad version. I have no idea why it wouldn't compile for you when it's the exact same dsl file that compiled fine for me -- but I think maybe I'll PM you with a copy of my .aml file. If it does work, you shouldn't notice a distinct difference -- just overall better performance, with more things working correctly such as sleep and speedstepping and stuff. Keep in mind that once you install DSDT.aml you should delete all the old disabler kexts, including SleepEnabler and LegacyAppleRTC. They will only be holding you back.

Thank you very much for your speedy replies! :-)

TheOriginalPol - After I tried and tried and came up with what I was presuming was a fully compiled DSDT, with no warnings, I placed it in the root of my Mac HD. After that I deleted all of the enabler kexts you mentioned in a post further up. After my restart though, my bloody wifi wouldn't work. It's a Broadcom 4322, or 4311. It's still being recognized by SL and connects to the router, but it now doesn't claim to connect to the actual internet!

I have seen this issue before in posts by other uses a while back, so I'll do my best to take a look around and see if I can find anything useful. Otherwise, do you think it could have been one of the disabler kexts that I deleted? Or the DSDT that may have configuration details for your Apple Wireless which is causing a conflict of sorts?

Thanks again for everyones help, it means a lot!

-Deano

Update - After installing SL and Voodoo kext files my computer was running fine. Then I installed TheOriginalPol's DSDT compiled file and deleted EvOreboot, LegacyAppleRTC, NullCPUPowerManagement, and SleepEnabler from my extras folder. Shortly after I restarted and very quickly realized that LegacyAppleRTC is needed by my computer or it won't connect to the internet. Unfortunately, due to me needing that kext it also means that even though I have TheOriginalPol's compiled DSDT, I can't boot into 64bit.

Other than that, the computer is running fine. But certainly no more efficient than it was before DSDT. I am beginning to wonder if it's worth me installing the DSDT and instead just leaving the extras folder as it is. After all, it works perfectly well for me as a system when I leave it alone.

I'd love to get into 64bit but it's looking like for whatever reason I can't. I need LegacyAppleRTC for my wireless to connect to the internet correctly, yet TheOrignalPol's DSDT can't put me into 64bit mode unless it's gone!

-Deano

PS: Other than that, I love my system running SL!

Dude... i had that EXACT same problem, and it took me a very long time to figure it out. It was a pain in my a**. In order for your internet to work, you either need the DSDT fix or LegacyAppleRTC (which, yes, means you can't run 64-bit). I know you don't wanna hear this, but what it looks like is that for whatever reason, that DSDT compiliation is not working for you. (you DO have a P-7805u, right??)

What that means is that you're gonna have to learn a little about DSDT modding, and then extract, modify, and compile your own version. I can direct you to a few great guides that really helped me get the hang of it:

A great starting point that really gives you a good general idea:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f84/a-quick-guide-to-dsdt-t3436/

I'd start by using this program and going with the files it gives you:

http://pcwiz###computer.com/index.php?opti...0&Itemid=48

At that point I'd download DSDTSE and mess around. when you get your bearings, THESE are the three main fixes you need to do:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=515

-- keep in mind you can use DSDTSE instead of Fassl's patcher

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

-- to fix sleep... this one is not tricky, but tedious

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

-- for speedstepping, and maybe just better performance. Very simple!

Other than that, you'll just need to do a lot of SEARCHING. That's a good thing to be able to do -- it makes you more self-dependent, 'cause no offense, but nobody likes to be bothered by every single simple question other users may have. After all -- that's what the forums are for, reference!!

The best of luck to you.

How are you checking those values?

By checking the P-State Value of the 2 core in Voodoo monitor (not the list of possible core state).

I'm stuck at the lowest value (793 I think) and it affect general performance.

Quick Question: I would just like to ask if anyone knows whether these readings from my Voodoo Monitor App are correct. It seems to me like it is only utilizing half of my CPU potential. Any ideas or corrections?

Under "Information" Tab:

CPU Clock: 2261 MHz

FSB Clock: 1064 MHz

Bus Clock: 266 MHz

CPU vendor: GenuineIntel

CPU brand: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz

CPU core: Intel Core Duo/Quad (45nm)

CPU count: 2

CPU mobile: Yes

CPU Tjmax: 105

Under the "Status" Tab:

CPU0 1197MHz x4.0 1.244V 39 C

CPU1 1197MHz x4.0 1.244V 42 C

And then the top line under the "P-States" Tab:

1 2261MHz x8.5 1.244V 0x4822 0x11

Sorry for listing all of that, I would have uploaded resized and cropped screenshots, but the upload server wasn't available. Now from what I can gather the application is stating that my CPU/s are running at a clock speed of 1197MHz. When I open an application the animated bar of Voodoo Monitor App moves up as if to suggested it is beefing up my CPU/s but then the readings under the "Status" tab are always the same, no matter what I am doing with my computer.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope someone can shed some light on the situation. Other than that, loving SL on the 7805u!

-Deano

PS: I read in another forum post that many people suggest taking away a certain group of Kext's in order to sort this problem, I would much rather check with you guys first before going ahead and deleting random kext's!

Here is a link to my reading through CPU - X:

http://rapidshare.com/files/364631043/CPU_-_X_Reading.png

I'm actually pretty sure at this point that the response time of my apps loading is not quite what it should be. They bounce for a few times and then lay there (depending on the app) and then finally load after a few seconds. Granted, this isn't something that particularly bothers me coming from a PPC Mac. But I do think my computer needs a little extra speed boost when loading apps and that would fix my whole system. As for everything else my system is running perfectly. I'm just not sure whether or not my whole system is being utilized correctly.

And as for editing my DSDT, I don't have issues with Sleep ... never have, Intels speed-stepping is a a powersaving feature, that in all honesty I would rather get rid of than tweak. So I really do just want to know what I am not doing that would cause the apps to load that little bit slower? Is it due to all this powersaving kext's and speed-stepping {censored} I have on my computer? If so just tell me what to delete to get rid of the bloody stuff.

-Deano

Thanks for confirming Pol. As the Oscars has recently come and gone I would like to take this opportunity to make my own thanks. I would like to thank TheOrginalPol for all of his help and persistence in ensuring at least some of us are able to run a very, very close Mac clone.

With regards to the CPU issue, it's admittedly annoying knowing that I have two processing cores and only the equivalent of one is being used. CPU - X reports all of my details correctly, yet for some reason OSX is not utilizing the cores correctly.

I think it may have something to do with the speedstepping/energy saving management. The computer seems to always run the cores at half the speed no matter what I do.

The main reason why this is disappointing is I was hoping to carry on my 3D work in OSX without having to be concerned about power (with the laptop we have), yet it seems Windows will still rule the roost for now when it comes to power utilization on my laptop.

All said and done though, the system works perfectly for the average user and in fact far beyond. And again, my many, many thanks go mainly out to TheOriginalPol for achieving what I thought (at the beginning of this journey) would be impossible.

Cheers to all,

-Deano

I FIXED THE VOODOO POWER PROBLEM!

I stumbled across this file online and installed it using Kexthelper B7. Although I already had a voodoopower.kext I figured I would give it a go. I restarted, opened up Voodoo Monitor App and it worked! To test keep Voodoo Monitor up while opening a program, say iMovie - and if it works it should show the CPU/s going up and down in MHz.

I currently don't even have a DSDT installed, so I know it isn't required - but I don't see it conflicting with any DSDT you all have currently installed.

So make sure to download the kext file, install and see what happens!

All the best and I hope it works!

-Deano

Also, I'd like to add that software is now loading as fast as I would expect it too on a true Macbook Pro! :-)

VoodooPower.kext.zip

Nice!! So you noticed a boost in system performance? What about boot time?

EDIT: Tried it, didn't seem to make any difference. Performance is the same but that might be because it's already working correctly, idk. What exactly changed for you, in VoodooMonitor? Now the only difference for me is instead of it saying x4.0 constantly, it says x3.0 constantly. Am I missing something here?

TheOriginalPol - after some work and some added kexts I managed to get your DSDT to work with my laptop. I booted up into a 64bit environment, great. But then I noticed my speedstepping wasn't working! The same issue you're currently having.

After some digging I found out that one or more of the voodoopower kext's are not compatible with SL 64bit. Hence the speedstepping isn't working in the 64bit environment.

To test this I took away your DSDT and booted into the 32bit environment, and with it it brought back speedstepping and full utilization of both cores when needed.

I can only presume that my idea worked for MaX2 (glad it worked mate!) due to him not being in 64bit. I am of course only presuming ... can you confirm this MaX2?

So, the problem seems to mainly stem from voodoopoweracpi.kext. Which I believe is still only 32bit.

The simple way around this would for you to edit your DSDT to boot into 32bit but keep all over changes. That way OSX can detect are hardware correctly but we aren't lumbered with only having 50% or so of our cores being utilized.

I know I personally would greatly appreciate you editing your DSDT for 32bit, I would learn and do it myself. But to be honest looking after my beautiful screaming daughter (6 months) prevents me from concentrating on anything right now. I know, I know, excuses!

-Deano

Huh! Well I will certainly try booting into 32-bit mode soon. And, if it means more speed and better performance, I will keep booting into 32. (I had indeed removed VoodooPowerACPI, seeing as I thought that was the problem at first...)

P.S. DSDT is not 32/64 bit particular. It deals directly with the computer's BIOS so to speak. You really should read up on it, it's an entirely different concept than kernel extensions or anything else.