Help Installing OSx86 on a Gateway P-7805u

sega_phreak

340 posts in this topic

*** Ok so lots of updates.

It appears I have been able to get a somewhat stable system with integrated Touchpad/Keyboard support.

I reinstalled OSX using the same settings I was playing with early on in my trials:

Iatkos v5i main system

PC EFI V9 (checked by default)

AppleDecrypt (checked by default)

SMBIOS-EFI Air

X86 ACPI

Disabler.kext (checked by default)

Intel SataAHCI

It worked!! I have been up and running with many many reboots and no real issues. I did the install with only one memory chip installed, and added the second one back in after a few reboots. (not sure if this was neccessary, but it was recomended and I am running).

I also disabled Legacy USB in the BIOS prior to my last install. I'm not sure if this was ultimately the cure. When I tried this install about 43 attempts ago, I had originally forgotten to add the Sata kext, so I did a reinstall and I am not positive if I erased the partition or not prior to adding the sata driver back into the mix. Not doing a clean install may have been the cause of my problems earlier...

Anyway like I said I am up and running pretty well. I was able to install the 9000 series video kexts following the instructions located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089 and updated the GFX strings using these instructions http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509 My card is correctly recognized as a 9800m GTS with 1GB video memory. The default resolution was automatically updated to 1920 x 1200 but QE/CI are not working. I have not done any investigation on this yet so I will keep you updated.

I was also able to get audio working using these instructions: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140869 . I attempted to install the AzaleaAudio.kext unmodified prior to using the one listed in the link above, and after running the package from the link, I had to manually copy and paste everything in the 'contents' folder over to my ./extensions/AppleAzaleaAudio.kext file. I then reregistered the file rebooted and audio output is working. Input shows no devices found, but I have not plugged in a Mic so that may be all there is to it. The function keys and volume slider on the laptop also work to control volume! :)

My next step is to try to tackle Wireless and onboard NIC although I am not terribly confident on getting the Intel WIFI working, I have not found a great deal of success stories there yet. Again any suggestions are welcome.

Can someone explain the process to the get the audio working in more detail for the 7805u Laptop. I have the same laptop and I got everything else working (expect lan and wlan of course) but I could not get the internal speakers to work, I tried all the kexts mentioned in the forum, replacing applehda folder content and etc….. but no luck. Can someone please explain a step by step process to make the speakers work?

Also Thanks to everyone in this topic, you've all been a great help!

Can someone explain the process to the get the audio working in more detail for the 7805u Laptop. I have the same laptop and I got everything else working (expect lan and wlan of course) but I could not get the internal speakers to work, I tried all the kexts mentioned in the forum, replacing applehda folder content and etc….. but no luck. Can someone please explain a step by step process to make the speakers work?

Also Thanks to everyone in this topic, you've all been a great help!

YES PLEASE I NEED IT TOO PEOPLE, COME ON!

And also, most important, VGA OUT!!!!!

Thank you heroes!

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips and instructions to get OSX working on this laptop. I've got everything going well, Quartz enabled (I think) but DVD Player gives me an error (70017 I think) which appears to be caused by an unsupported video card. I've followed all instructions on getting the 9800GTS working, seems fine, resolution is correct al etc. Any ideas? Anything you need to see as far as logs, tests, etc? I'll have access to the machine again tomorrow. Thanks!

EDIT: Apparently Quartz isn't working... I'm getting 1-4 FPS in the OpenGL diagnostics. Quartz is flagged as enabled in OSX86Tools though, any ideas?

EDIT2: For those of you trying to get the HDMI/VGA out working on your laptop, I'm afraid I can't tell you much more than recheck your drivers, works just fine on mine. Used that link to the 9800GTS drivers posted back on page 2, then ran through the second set of instructions for Quartz, plugged in my HDTV, worked just fine as a second display. However, still no decent fps in OpenGL, although Quartz IS enabled, confirmed through the System Profiler or whatever it is from About This Mac. DVD Player still gives that same error code, someone recommended deleting it and using Pacifier to reinstall from source, but I'm not sure that will work on OSX86... Anyone know for sure?

EDIT2: For those of you trying to get the HDMI/VGA out working on your laptop, I'm afraid I can't tell you much more than recheck your drivers, works just fine on mine. Used that link to the 9800GTS drivers posted back on page 2, then ran through the second set of instructions for Quartz, plugged in my HDTV, worked just fine as a second display. However, still no decent fps in OpenGL, although Quartz IS enabled, confirmed through the System Profiler or whatever it is from About This Mac. DVD Player still gives that same error code, someone recommended deleting it and using Pacifier to reinstall from source, but I'm not sure that will work on OSX86... Anyone know for sure?

Hey! Please, can you explain exactly how did you do it step by step ?

Thank you in advance,

Gaston.

Hey! Please, can you explain exactly how did you do it step by step ?

Thank you in advance,

Gaston.

Sure thing. Follow this link for the drivers you'll need: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089 Install those, reboot.

Download NVDarwin 1.2.5 from http://www.mediafire.com/?zgnwtzym2je, install the 1024mb driver, along with the OpenGL tools. Reboot only if asked to.

Install KextHelperb7 from http://web.mac.com/v1.42ghz/Kext_Helper/So...Helper%20b7.zip, download http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PXEFK1NC, unzip, use KextHelper to install these. Run OSX86Tools from http://osx86tools.googlecode.com/files/OSX...ols_1.0.150.zip, I just checked off all eight checkmarks and told it to apply, click the enable/disable quartz button, enable it, reboot when prompted.

Please let me know your results and feel free to ask for clarification, it's rather late right now and I'm not thinking too clearly anyways. I'll have my hands back on the laptop Monday I hope. (I'm doing this for a friend of mine actually, but plan on getting myself the same machine for college.)

Sure thing. Follow this link for the drivers you'll need: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089 Install those, reboot.

Download NVDarwin 1.2.5 from http://www.mediafire.com/?zgnwtzym2je, install the 1024mb driver, along with the OpenGL tools. Reboot only if asked to.

Install KextHelperb7 from http://web.mac.com/v1.42ghz/Kext_Helper/So...Helper%20b7.zip, download http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PXEFK1NC, unzip, use KextHelper to install these. Run OSX86Tools from http://osx86tools.googlecode.com/files/OSX...ols_1.0.150.zip, I just checked off all eight checkmarks and told it to apply, click the enable/disable quartz button, enable it, reboot when prompted.

Please let me know your results and feel free to ask for clarification, it's rather late right now and I'm not thinking too clearly anyways. I'll have my hands back on the laptop Monday I hope. (I'm doing this for a friend of mine actually, but plan on getting myself the same machine for college.)

Thank you! I'm gonna try it now.

How about the audio? I haven't done this work.

Thank youuu.

Gaston

Thank you! I'm gonna try it now.

How about the audio? I haven't done this work.

Thank youuu.

Gaston

To give you a complete answer I'd have to check the system on Monday, but if I remember correctly, I just installed these kexts with kexthelper, ran OSX86Tools with those same eight checks, rebooted with -f -v and then plugged something into the side headphone port. This triggered the audio for some reason, after that point I was able to unplug the headphones I was using and so far the external speakers have continued working after several reboots. If those kexts don't work for you, please attempt to determine the Vendor and Device IDs of your audio chip, if you have Windows installed on another drive I can give you step by step instructions, but if all you have is OSX at this point, I'll have to defer to someone else on here that knows their way around better, as I've found no OSX equivilant of the LSPCI command that is present in Linux...

Myself, I'm still hoping for someone to have a fix for the DVD Player and Quartz performance problems, at least two people in this thread have gotten around 50fps in Quartz benchmarks, so I must be doing something wrong somewhere along the line. Tell me what you need to know to help me out, please.

To give you a complete answer I'd have to check the system on Monday, but if I remember correctly, I just installed these kexts with kexthelper, ran OSX86Tools with those same eight checks, rebooted with -f -v and then plugged something into the side headphone port. This triggered the audio for some reason, after that point I was able to unplug the headphones I was using and so far the external speakers have continued working after several reboots. If those kexts don't work for you, please attempt to determine the Vendor and Device IDs of your audio chip, if you have Windows installed on another drive I can give you step by step instructions, but if all you have is OSX at this point, I'll have to defer to someone else on here that knows their way around better, as I've found no OSX equivilant of the LSPCI command that is present in Linux...

Myself, I'm still hoping for someone to have a fix for the DVD Player and Quartz performance problems, at least two people in this thread have gotten around 50fps in Quartz benchmarks, so I must be doing something wrong somewhere along the line. Tell me what you need to know to help me out, please.

Hi WinterTiger Thank you!

About the VGA port, it does not work for me. Now it shows in AboutThisMac 1024MB RAM on Graphics but it works like before, when I connect the VGA and "DETECT" the displays, the External VGA does not show anything and the Bultin LCD turn black, but the computer seems keep working.

About audio, I'll try in now in minutes IT WORKS!! THANK YOU!!, thank you.

Finally, About your problem with Quartz: I haven't had problem with this. Just do this, it pretty simple...

megaprimal,

Finally got QE/CI working ...here`s the steps...

1) delete efi string from your com.apple.boot.plist

2) download nvinstaller v.52 from http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20

3) install nvinstaller and during installation choose 512mb ram option do not choose go/mobile option, it gives black screen.

4) Reboot using -v -f flags and

done !!!

QE/CI works....!!!

Webcam doesn`t work, at least not in photobooth.

...anyways hope it works for you.

onj88

you install this, restart and Voala! QE/CI works. I enable OPENGL before from OSX86 Tools, maybe it will help to you.

Here you have my some screenshots about Graphics.

ojk0u1.jpg

Thank you,

Gaston

Hi WinterTiger Thank you!

About the VGA port, it does not work for me. Now it shows in AboutThisMac 1024MB RAM on Graphics but it works like before, when I connect the VGA and "DETECT" the displays, the External VGA does not show anything and the Bultin LCD turn black, but the computer seems keep working.

About audio, I'll try in now in minutes IT WORKS!! THANK YOU!!, thank you.

Finally, About your problem with Quartz: I haven't had problem with this. Just do this, it pretty simple...

you install this, restart and Voala! QE/CI works. I enable OPENGL before from OSX86 Tools, maybe it will help to you.

Here you have my some screenshots about Graphics.

Thank you,

Gaston

Gaston,

Thanks a lot, I had used the wrong package as I thought I found a newer version of NVInject, which appears not to be the case. I'll be sure to try version 0.52 on Monday. When you say 'enable OpenGL from OSX86Tools' do you mean the Enable/Disable Quartz option or is there something I missed? I don't currently have the system infront of me, but I'll look on Monday and attempt to see if there are any extra drivers or strange video modes on mine that may be causing the VGA output to work.

Regards,

Tiger

EDIT: I'll probably find it when I boot up the machine Monday, but since I'm here, could someone please explain the following or at least link me to some site that will explain it? "delete efi string from your com.apple.boot.plist" in reference to instructions for graphics. Thanks.

WinterTiger,

I`m the one the wrote the instructions to get qe/ci working, if you haven`t added the string to the boot plist before installing drivers then you don`t have to do anything.

I hope it works for you.

Onj88

WinterTiger,

I`m the one the wrote the instructions to get qe/ci working, if you haven`t added the string to the boot plist before installing drivers then you don`t have to do anything.

I hope it works for you.

Onj88

Onj88

Thanks, I don't recall putting the string in, but I think I accidentally followed both sets of instructions for QE/CI, so now I have no idea at all what state this machine is in... I'm in the process of following yours again, but I can't for the life of me get About this Mac to say Quartz Extreme is supported, and my FPS in the benchmarks is still about 4fps. I'll report back after I redo your instructions a second time. Thanks again!

EDIT: No luck, still shows same results. Where's that boot.plist just in case I need to delete the string.

Onj88

Thanks, I don't recall putting the string in, but I think I accidentally followed both sets of instructions for QE/CI, so now I have no idea at all what state this machine is in... I'm in the process of following yours again, but I can't for the life of me get About this Mac to say Quartz Extreme is supported, and my FPS in the benchmarks is still about 4fps. I'll report back after I redo your instructions a second time. Thanks again!

EDIT: No luck, still shows same results. Where's that boot.plist just in case I need to delete the string.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Any luck with the lan/wlan?

I'm looking into porting linux drivers for the lan, but your best bet now if you've got wireless is to buy a cheap usb wireless adapter. I've been using a TP-Link 321G (based on the RT73) which can be had for about $15 on ebay. If you decide to use this particular card, let me know and I'll post a link to the drivers.

Any luck with VGA out? People!!!

This has been a bit of a thorn in my side lately as well. I was mistaken when I told you I had it working earlier, as I was booted into Vista at the time when I had my external plugged in. I'll keep looking into it. It seems to recognize an external display being plugged in, but doesn't know what to do with it, so maybe we should talk to whoever is maintaining the Aquamac 9800 drivers?

Any luck with the lan/wlan?

No luck on the WLAN yet but with $20 (actually it was free when it was all said and done) I was able to use onj88 suggestion and I bought myself an Apple airport extreme Card. It was very easy to install, removed 5 screws to remove the back panel, removed the 2 wires on the intel wireless card, removed the intel card from PCIe slot, placed the 2 wires on the mac card and slid the mac card into the PCIe slot whenre the old intel card was located.....put the intel card back on ebay and got $20 for it =) It takes no more than 5 minutes to swap out WLAN cards, well 10 minutes if you decide to put it up for sale on ebay =)

Ebay link to Mac Airport Extreme PCI-e cards

Im triple booting OSX, XP (32 bit) and Vista 64. Both Vista and OSX installed the drivers for the mac wlan card automatically, for win XP I installed Dell 1500 driver. The dell driver I downloaded from Dell's website was originally an EXE so it wasnt able to install properly because it didnt really recognise my card as a true dell 1500 so I used winrar to extract the files from the EXE and then I installed the drivers manually by clicking on the update drivers button in the device manager and pointing it to the drivers located in the unzipped dell install package.

I think this is the best way to do it since you will have true built in WLAN and you will not have to mess with USB adapters.

I have attached the unzipped drivers I used for you XP 32bit people out there who decide to go this route. I would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this thread, it really made my life easier and saved me from a few grey hairs LOL

As soon as I was online on OSX I went ahead and I updated it without a problem =)

Mac_airport_extreme___Dell_1500_DRIVER.rar

• 4 weeks later...

Of course I will!!!! You are the best people that help me to introduce in this hackintosh world, so if I could made a fix I must share it.

d23 9800m GTS 1GB Driver KEXT v1.0 Beta

##############

DO THIS PEOPLE WHO HAD ALREADY INSTALLED OTHER VIDEO DRIVERS

##############

1. You MUST uninstall ALL your video KEXT or EFI drivers/patches

2. RESTART WITH -f -v

3. See if your Graphic cards is not detected and without ANY drivers, then continue

##############

PEOPLE WHO HAD DELETED GRAPHIC DRIVERS OR NEW OSX INSTALLATION

##############

1. Download this KEXT (the driver)

2. Download this MAGNIFICAL tool (thanks to Winter Tiger)

3. Extract the driver and the KEXT installer Tool

4. Open the KEXT installer tool

5. Drag and Drop the driver into the previous app

6. Write in the app your password

7. Click INSTALL

8. Reboot

9. -f -v

.....wait....and...

WOALAAAA!!

######################

Now waiting the Intel WiFi Driver and/or saving money to the PCI Express Card....

######################

###CREDITS###

Thanks to Aqua-Mac for explain to me the NVCAP

Thanks to all of you people!

See you

Gaston.

Sweet! I will try this later. Thanks for sharing man!

Of course I will!!!! You are the best people that help me to introduce in this hackintosh world, so if I could made a fix I must share it.

##############

##############

2. RESTART WITH -f -v

3. See if your Graphic cards is not detected and without ANY drivers, then continue

##############

##############

7. Click INSTALL

8. Reboot

9. -f -v

.....wait....and...

WOALAAAA!!

######################

Now waiting the Intel WiFi Driver and/or saving money to the PCI Express Card....

######################

###CREDITS###

See you

Gaston.

How long does it take to reboot when rebooting with -f -v ? I think I'm getting stuck waiting

##############

##############

2. RESTART WITH -f -v

##############

##############

7. Click INSTALL

8. Reboot

9. -f -v

.....wait....and...

WOALAAAA!!

######################

######################

###CREDITS###

See you

Gaston.