Google releases Picasa for Mac

Synaesthesia

20 posts in this topic

I see it's Intel Only. So it's probably the same windows code running in a Wine thingy. I don't think it's ugly, just not very mac-like. I must say Picasa is very fast & smooth compared to iPhoto...However I'm a iPhoto convert, and I don't think I'll be migrating just now.

The best thing is the ability to watch folders specified folders for images...

(Picasa beta review @ Ars Technica)

Maybe it's good for those who have picasa web albums' account, although there's a light weight picasa web albums up-loader plug-in for iPhoto.
I use picasaweb, and there really aren't enough compelling features to switch to Picasa over iPhoto/plugin.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how well it works with gmail. Gmail webpage sometimes just gives you those thumbnail size images to click on and open in another browser window, or download. That would be cool if Picasa could somehow make gmail picture previews better.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few crashes with Picasa on my hack, so I guess that's what the send bug report is for. Also, I get an error when uploading a vid to my Picasa web album. One small vid uploaded ok, but when I tried a 150mb one, it told me it had a 100mb limit which is too small a limit. It really needs to be 1gb like youtube because my camera makes about 100mb per minute of vid. I also got an error trying to upload that 150mb vid to youtube thru Picasa. When I used Safari the same vid uploaded fine to youtube. So a few bugs to work out on this fantastic application.

I like the way Picasa handles movies. Instead of opening in Quicktime as with iphoto, Picasa lets you view the movies in their browser along with photos seamlessly. It also lets you edit the movies too. iphoto doesn't seem to acknowledge that videos exist along with your pics, except for the movie icon in the thumbnail. If Picasa web album lets you download movies as well as youtube (1gb limit), that would make it an even better system.

I like the way Picasa handles movies. Instead of opening in Quicktime as with iphoto, Picasa lets you view the movies in their browser along with photos seamlessly. It also lets you edit the movies too. iphoto doesn't seem to acknowledge that videos exist along with your pics, except for the movie icon in the thumbnail. If Picasa web album lets you download movies as well as youtube (1gb limit), that would make it an even better system.
Picasa web albums (std) has a total size limit of 1gb, so if you could upload a 1 gig movie it would take up all your space...

Exactly what I was thinking. I did use Quicktime pro to reduce a avi movie file size. It went down from 150mb to 20mb by exporting to mp4, without losing any quality that I could see. But that step takes time, and is a pita. Youtube has some kind of a system where they don't keep the original large file. They convert your large movie, on the fly, to flash video which is tiny by comparison. That feature would be nice with picasa web album. I do like the web album otherwise. It only has a two stage zoom which is ok, but could be more zoom, with a keyboard command. The mouse panning does work nice, without having to use scroll bars. I couldn't find full screen view, other than in slideshow but then there is no zoom. You can email a pic to a specific photo album by naming the album in the email subject line, which is great. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
I understand what you're saying but Picasa isn't a Photoshop replacement.

Somebody Should throw this guy out of InsanelyMac,

everytime i see or read your comment in a thread

the more you come off as a Microsoft spy.

you're not really an apple user or fan

Look at your signature its starts with Windows 7

i've got noffin against Windows But It sucks lacks Innovation and and the sense to compete

Without monopolizing the market first MS would have been noffin

look how far apple has come, thats a real competitor..

i should think there are some Forums for windows Die Hards

you should look them up. because you're beginning to look really silly over here wasting yours and our time

i followed you from the safari 4 beta thread, to Zune phone, to here...

Go play some where else.

We'd enjoy a good objective opinion if its due, but what you're doing is just plain silly