If you get a "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found" after time machine fix

McPhil

54 posts in this topic

fixed it with ToH ionetworkingfamily.kext replacement of .kext in extensions folder....as per previous post..

"Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWVMONUU

After placing it it /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

*password*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

reboot, and keep your fingers crossed

HTH,

The Baron "

thanks folks...sorry to intrude.

hi folks,

This worked for me too. Except I used Kext Helper b7 to load the revised kext - try it because it saves having to enter all the above code via Terminal.

My machine is an HP dx2300 pre-core Pentium 4 with 2 x SATA drives, Win XP on drive 1, Leopard 10.5.6 on drive 2, and Munky's EFI boot system. The only thing not yet working is dual boot and audio (I have only got mono audio coming from the single on-board speaker - yukk!)

Rob

fixed it with ToH ionetworkingfamily.kext replacement of .kext in extensions folder....as per previous post..

"Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

sudo -s

*password*

HTH,

The Baron "

Works great for me !! thanx

I never had problem with network card !! after installing 10.5.6 this happened.

Not only the time machine but also the crack for maya (which is based on ethernet card number) is not working.

Parallels also doesn't know my Lan card anymore !!!

Ok.. here is my two cents on this matter :)

I started to have this problem after the 10.5.6 update, don't know exactly when because, after the update TM was running.. i used it at least one time to restore back to 10.5.5 (for some testing) and another, after updating to 10.5.6 again, to backup the System. I don't use TM much so, 3 weeks after that, i went to use it and was greeted with "The built-in network interface could not be found."... WTF :P

Well, started searching and did found the solution presented here on some site but, it didn't worked.

I remembered that i saw someone mention a solution on a thread by the time of the update. Got looking and found it (Post #652). Anyway, the solution is very simple.. it involves adding your Ethernet device string to Boot.plist.. Goes like this:

- Download EFIStudio if you don't have it: GFXUtil News & Announcements

- Launch EFIStudio; in the "Device" area, click on the field were it says "Display" and change it to "Ethernet"

- Click on "Add Device" button below and in the new Editor window click on the "Write to com.apple.Boot.plist" button

- Enter you password, close the program and reboot

This is no secret, it's been around but i don't know who to credit it :)

The "backup volume could not be found" thing, was never a problem to me. That only happened when i disabled backups (if do remember correctly), it's only a matter of setting the backup disk to None and select one again.

So, if you have that problem after trying the solutions in this thread, try the ToH patched kext.

Hope this helps someone :D

Note: When i started on OSx86, the fix that i used (and still use) to get my Ethernet device recognized was, simply adding my device id (0x27dc8086) to Intel8255x.kext, inside IONetworkingFamily.kext. With time and updates it started failing, i mean, some times i had network others i'd had "cable unplugged". At some point i could only get network by using "-f" at boot prompt. I solved the problem by starting using a bootloader that uses Extra folder and placing IONetworkingFamily.kext in it.

Today and after a lot of testing placing the kext were it belongs, i got to the same conclusion. The only way i can get STABLE ALWAYS PLUGGED NETWORK, is by placing IONF.kext in Extra folder. ;)

Awesome !!! I just tried this one !!

this fixed my problem with time machine, Autodesk Maya crack, and Parallels Ethernet card ...

Thanx a bunch

• 1 month later...

Thanks azimutz, it worked for me on an ASUS P5GC/MX-1333 that has two ethernet cards (one built-in AttansicL2 and second Accton EN5038A that is a clone of RTL8139) and Leopard installed with XxX 10.5.6 final (containing PPF4).

I started to have this problem after the 10.5.6 update, don't know exactly when because, after the update TM was running.. i used it at least one time to restore back to 10.5.5 (for some testing) and another, after updating to 10.5.6 again, to backup the System. I don't use TM much so, 3 weeks after that, i went to use it and was greeted with "The built-in network interface could not be found."... WTF :lol:

Well, started searching and did found the solution presented here on some site but, it didn't worked.

I remembered that i saw someone mention a solution on a thread by the time of the update. Got looking and found it (Post #652). Anyway, the solution is very simple.. it involves adding your Ethernet device string to Boot.plist.. Goes like this:

- Launch EFIStudio; in the "Device" area, click on the field were it says "Display" and change it to "Ethernet"

- Click on "Add Device" button below and in the new Editor window click on the "Write to com.apple.Boot.plist" button

This is no secret, it's been around but i don't know who to credit it :D

The "backup volume could not be found" thing, was never a problem to me. That only happened when i disabled backups (if do remember correctly), it's only a matter of setting the backup disk to None and select one again.

So, if you have that problem after trying the solutions in this thread, try the ToH patched kext.

Note: When i started on OSx86, the fix that i used (and still use) to get my Ethernet device recognized was, simply adding my device id (0x27dc8086) to Intel8255x.kext, inside IONetworkingFamily.kext. With time and updates it started failing, i mean, some times i had network others i'd had "cable unplugged". At some point i could only get network by using "-f" at boot prompt. I solved the problem by starting using a bootloader that uses Extra folder and placing IONetworkingFamily.kext in it.

Today and after a lot of testing placing the kext were it belongs, i got to the same conclusion. The only way i can get STABLE ALWAYS PLUGGED NETWORK, is by placing IONF.kext in Extra folder. :)

thanks man,this was it ! after doing this my TM works perfectly !!! thanks again, regards :D

• 2 weeks later...
not sure if this is posted.. i looked around and didnt see it so here it goes:

I was getting this error:

time.png

after i used the time machine fix in this thread on my vostro 1400:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=68708

so heres the fix that got it to work

run this in terminal as root (if you dont know what root is, or how to run something as root, put "sudo" in front of the below command):

reboot and re-configure Time Machine.

EDIT: You may need to use this patch for this fix to work on non-genuine apple hardware:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=68708

Please post your results, whether working or not!

summed up from:

http://blog.marxy.org/2008/12/time-machine...in-network.html

I'm on iAtkos 10.5.6 and this was key solution for Time Machine.

I have also tried 3 other solutions bu none of them worked for me...

Just to let you know - you someone :(

Also got this problem after installing 10.5.6, though TM is OK in 10.5.5.

I also noticed that a "_CFGetHostUUIDString: Unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" problem popped up in the terminal with the TM problem.

I searched over the internet and couldn't find a solution until I found this by MacUser2525:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1120091

Which works perfectly to me.

Share with someone who need it and thanks to MacUser2525.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping an old thread. Applying this method to my HackPro fixes Time Machine but hangs Skype and iChat. I have to Quit from Activity Monitor or use Terminal to "kill PID". I use an internally attached SATAII drive for Time Machine. I haven't tried other peer software like Transmission, etc. Other suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

"Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found." error

this worked for me

after 10.5.7 update

use property list editor to open /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

you will find network interfaces items

in item1 en0

check booleans "active" and "IObuildin" yes

save

time machine working

• 3 weeks later...
I'm on iAtkos 10.5.6 and this was key solution for Time Machine.

I have also tried 3 other solutions bu none of them worked for me...

Just to let you know - you someone :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

This was it. A real working solution!

I really appreciate it!

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who has the en2 or whatever problem for their ethernet card. TM needs en0 to work properly.

Very simple instructions on the Apple support site.

Worked like a charm for me. At the bottom of the page...

Red "i" message: "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found"

From the Finder's Go menu go to this location:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Copy the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist" to the desktop (to make a precautionary backup).

Delete the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist". Enter administrator name and password if prompted.

Restart your Mac.

Once restarted, reconfigure your the Network and Time Machine preference panes in System Preferences.

Once I did this, I opened the network preference, deleted my old network connection and created a new one...automatically named en0!

Enjoy

Azimutz!

Hi. When I try this fix and restart, the time machine isn't fixed and it seems to undo the driver for my 8600gt card as well, so it boots with thee 1024x800 (or whatever it is) default display

Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

I had this problem and and now its solved. You must also add your display device in EFIStudio.

In "select device" section select display and in next section select your graphic card (8600 GT - xxxMB for your). Click "add device" and then just reboot your hack pro.

Now your time machine will work without loosing your graphic card.

I added my graphic and network same time and then rebooted my hackintosh. I guess it wont work if you add graphic card and network card separately.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I started to have this problem after the 10.5.6 update, don't know exactly when because, after the update TM was running.. i used it at least one time to restore back to 10.5.5 (for some testing) and another, after updating to 10.5.6 again, to backup the System. I don't use TM much so, 3 weeks after that, i went to use it and was greeted with "The built-in network interface could not be found."... WTF :blink:

This is no secret, it's been around but i don't know who to credit it :unsure:

The "backup volume could not be found" thing, was never a problem to me. That only happened when i disabled backups (if i do remember correctly), it's only a matter of setting the backup disk to None and select one again.

Today and after a lot of testing placing the kext were it belongs, i got to the same conclusion. The only way i can get STABLE ALWAYS PLUGGED NETWORK, is by placing IONF.kext in Extra folder. ;)

I would just like to add that I used this fix on my MSI GX620 running 10.5.6 and it fixed my time machine problem. thanx!

I started to have this problem after the 10.5.6 update, don't know exactly when because, after the update TM was running.. i used it at least one time to restore back to 10.5.5 (for some testing) and another, after updating to 10.5.6 again, to backup the System. I don't use TM much so, 3 weeks after that, i went to use it and was greeted with "The built-in network interface could not be found."... WTF :(

This is no secret, it's been around but i don't know who to credit it :(

The "backup volume could not be found" thing, was never a problem to me. That only happened when i disabled backups (if i do remember correctly), it's only a matter of setting the backup disk to None and select one again.

Today and after a lot of testing placing the kext were it belongs, i got to the same conclusion. The only way i can get STABLE ALWAYS PLUGGED NETWORK, is by placing IONF.kext in Extra folder. :D

You are the Boss!!! :(

I've tried so many thing and this one just worked straight!! again thank you man!!! :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This one works for me! Thanks!

sudo -s

*password*

HTH,

The Baron "

• 4 weeks later...
For anyone who has the en2 or whatever problem for their ethernet card. TM needs en0 to work properly.

Very simple instructions on the Apple support site.

Worked like a charm for me. At the bottom of the page...

Red "i" message: "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found"

From the Finder's Go menu go to this location:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Copy the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist" to the desktop (to make a precautionary backup).

Delete the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist". Enter administrator name and password if prompted.

Restart your Mac.

Once restarted, reconfigure your the Network and Time Machine preference panes in System Preferences.

Once I did this, I opened the network preference, deleted my old network connection and created a new one...automatically named en0!

Enjoy

This worked for me like a treat !

iAtkos v&7 & iDeneb 10.5.8 update

update: had already done the efi string thing already _ _ _

I started to have this problem after the 10.5.6 update, don't know exactly when because, after the update TM was running.. i used it at least one time to restore back to 10.5.5 (for some testing) and another, after updating to 10.5.6 again, to backup the System. I don't use TM much so, 3 weeks after that, i went to use it and was greeted with "The built-in network interface could not be found."... WTF :)

This is no secret, it's been around but i don't know who to credit it :)

If I run the EFI updater it works, but it breaks my video. I have an ATI x1950xt, and I use a premade GUI injector to install it. They seem to be overwriting each other. How can I get both of them in there and have them both work? Anyway I can do a "diff" of the two boot files and edit it manually?

xtort

{EDIT}

Never mind. I used Jccool's injector. The sad thing is I didn't learn anything except to use someone else's talent. :rolleyes: All good now.

This worked for me like a treat !

iAtkos v&7 & iDeneb 10.5.8 update

update: had already done the efi string thing already _ _ _

• 2 weeks later...

Mac OS is too weird. Every time I install it, regardless of the same options I choose, it behaves differently.

The last time I installed it, after 10.5.8 update the time machine didn't work. I run the EFI studio, added the network interface and everything was okay.

This time, though, after adding a network interface via EFI tool, I lost video kext, and if I added both, I got video, but time machine wouldn't work.

So, I deleted the network interfaces preference list, restarted, inserted both my graphic adapter and network interface at once with EFI tool, restarted again, and, voila! Now it works...

However, I must say that, in my case, backup made no difference whatsoever. I tried to install Snow, failed, and thought, well, no matter, I'll just go back and restore the backup. (I've done it successfully the last time). But, after my poor attempt to install Snow, I erased the iMac partition, run the boot DVD, did the restore process and restored the boot loader. And, I couldn't boot back... It kept restarting the computer. Something was wrong, but I don't know why. The question rises, if the backup is created, but it appears to be useless, what's the point of creating it? :)

Anybody has any ideas what might went wrong? I feel more confident in having a backup, but I'd like to be sure that I can eventually use it...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I found a link through a google search to an Apple Support webpage and followed the instructions and my Time machine is now working fine.

Apparently on my acer d250 aspire one the wifi card needs to be set as Airport 2. Not sure of the conflict, but once I went to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and deleted the networkinterfaces.plist file and rebooted, then upon reboot my network preference reflected that I have an Airport and an Airport 2 card. Airport is turned off and Airport 2 is on and working fine.

And Time machine is now working fine. (knock on wood)

Here is the link I found. It is about the 5th issue down on the web page under the heading Red "i" message: "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found"

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3275

I am not exactly sure what removing the plist file does but upon reboot I checked the folder and the file was evidently rebuilt based on my current configuration and resolved a conflict.

Interesting enough my Ethernet card is still not working though. If anyone knows a fix for that I'd be interested.

• 2 months later...

Excellent thread. It sums up the 3 different things I've had to use on different machines, sooner or later:

1) Use kexthelper to install an older/different IONetworkingFamily.kext ....

DFTRP (Don't Forget To Repair Permissions and all that fun stuff) DEAFTRIP

[this has, by far, been the most common fix for the machines I've been working on... lately Gigabyte boards with RealTek Ethernet (half of which require another RealTek driver to work right)

2) Using EFIStudio/OSX86Tools to write Ethernet strings to com.apple.Boot.plist

[i've needed this one rarely, so far, for Ethernet ...but I quite often use OSX86Tools for graphics)

3) and NOW @freefallindz' link to the Apple page. Thanks! Worked for me.

Given that (1) and (2) have always worked for me to fix Time Machine, I did start to wonder if this could be a problem with Mac OSX and not Hack OSX... but I was in denial....@freefalindz sealed it... some bug in this particular system ...

***I removed NetworkInterfaces.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/, restarted, then went to my Network System Preference and put it back to Automatic (I'd customized my settings and it was using the old configuration!)***

Sweet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok i had my time machine working before by using the IONetworkingFamily.kext supplied around here and worked fine the last 5 months then something happened (I don't know what) and i got the "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found" message which i get rid off by deleting the Networkinterfaces.plist, rebooting and setting up my network adaptor. my question is:

How can i access to my old backups in time machine now??

I don't want to start a new time machine, and searching for the files in the drive is not easy.

By the way even though this is my first reply I've been reading the forum for some time now so i understand terminal and other stuff, and since I'm from Mexico my english might not be that good.

thanks

YaHm