If you get a "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found" after time machine fix

McPhil

54 posts in this topic

not sure if this is posted.. i looked around and didnt see it so here it goes:

I was getting this error:

time.png

after i used the time machine fix in this thread on my vostro 1400:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=68708

so heres the fix that got it to work

run this in terminal as root (if you dont know what root is, or how to run something as root, put "sudo" in front of the below command):

mv /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist.old

reboot and re-configure Time Machine.

EDIT: You may need to use this patch for this fix to work on non-genuine apple hardware:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=68708

Please post your results, whether working or not!

summed up from:

http://blog.marxy.org/2008/12/time-machine...in-network.html

I wrote the string but it tells me that i haven't the permission...

Do i have to download a fix before? can you post the direct link? thanks so much

you have to run it as sudo. you can do this as one of two ways

1. put sudo in front of it and type in the password for the root user

sudo mv /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist.old

2. type the below, type in the roots password

sudo su

then you run this

mv /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist.old

I tried it and it didn't seem to work. Should I see all the default icons in the network prefs pane restored? Some time back I might have deleted the bluetooth, etc., and maybe an ethernet icon, so now only the airport one is shown, and when I tried to add an ethernet connection, there isn't one available. Only airport is there as an option. If I try to add a PPPoE connection, the only ethernet shown is airport. I've tried turning the ethernet on in the bios and no difference. This is on my voodoo old pentium Dell .

I tried it and it didn't seem to work. Should I see all the default icons in the network prefs pane restored? Some time back I might have deleted the bluetooth, etc., and maybe an ethernet icon, so now only the airport one is shown, and when I tried to add an ethernet connection, there isn't one available. Only airport is there as an option. If I try to add a PPPoE connection, the only ethernet shown is airport. I've tried turning the ethernet on in the bios and no difference. This is on my voodoo old pentium Dell .

yes, it should have brought back all the network devices you had deleted in the past.. did you happen to apply the time machine fix mentioned in the first post before you tried this method? If you have, your airport should show up as ethernet and your ethernet will be airport. kind of a {cenosored} fix, but it works

Possibly it didn't run properly when I tried it. No, I did not do the first fix. When I had a realtek card I used the realtek driver which did the same airport as ethernet thing. I was hesitating to try that because my airport is working so well.

Possibly it didn't run properly when I tried it. No, I did not do the first fix. When I had a realtek card I used the realtek driver which did the same airport as ethernet thing. I was hesitating to try that because my airport is working so well.

well, if you use kext helper to install the fix and it still doesnt work, you can just use the backup in \Backup Extensions\ to restore your network card and restore your preferences by deleteing NetworkInterfaces.plist and renaming NetworkInterfaces.plist.old to NetworkInterfaces.plist

i dont use os x tools much, but if it backs up kexts, replaces them, repairs the permissions, and deletes the kext cache, then yes it will. the backup most likely wont be in the same folder, but probably still in the root of your primary mac partition

• 2 weeks later...

i'm having the same issue since updating to 10.5.6, but this method isn't working for me. prior to 10.5.6, i was able to just use the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext (error was the Backup Volume Could Not Be Found), but now i'm getting the Built-in Network Interface error and nothing is working.

Anyone else have suggestions?

I am running iAtkosv5i 10.5.6 and am having the same issue.

"TIme Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found."

Can't seem to find a solution anywhere. Could it be an Apple software issue?

:P

why did i every update to 10.5.6..first sound, now this...same issue for me..tried the change in network preferences list, tried the alter permissions to the hidden file on the time machine, all to no avail...just wanted to know if anyone had any further thoughts...on the verge of time portalling back to 10.5.5 which i was only in for about 1 hr in my haste to upgrade to the latest and greatest...that will learn me...!!

please one of you really smart people out there, can you figure it out???

also tried network backup via itimemachine...no luck there either.

fixed it with ToH ionetworkingfamily.kext replacement of .kext in extensions folder....as per previous post..

"Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWVMONUU

After placing it it /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

*password*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

reboot, and keep your fingers crossed

HTH,

The Baron "

thanks folks...sorry to intrude.

I must depend really on your ethernetcard and the distro you're using. I have p5k se/epu and did a retail install of 10.5.6. and got the same problem.

i tried ericft his option but it didn't work for me. Also tried the Efi tools but that destroyed my system.

time machine , on my hackintosh

work

I think that the problem is the presence of 2 or one ethernet card , igave a realtek 8139 and a intel v100 , i' have attached a fire wire disk contenent a fresc leopard copy of a leo ppc installation m that come froma eMac g4 , Time machine work and ask me if this firewire is a time machine drive , that is .

I have a question , the time machine back up that come from a hackintoh work ehen you install a new system on a new drive?

My hackintosh work perfectly under osx 10.5.6 xxx is an hp pavilion pentium 4 3 ghz , geforce 7600 gt 256 , 1 maxtor 180 gb leo .10.5..6 +app 1 seagate 500 gb leo 10.5.6 + app . n° 3 fire wire external 500+500+ 180 this one is a frive that is dedicated for time machine from yesterday , but i don 't beleve that working correctly for the restore , someone have try?

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub [8086:2770] (rev 81)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port [8086:2771] (rev 81)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 01)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 01)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 01)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 01)

00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 01)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 01)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev e1)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b8] (rev 01)

00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller [8086:27df] (rev 01)

00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller [8086:27c0] (rev 01)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:27da] (rev 01)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GT] [10de:0391] (rev a1)

02:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller [1106:3044] (rev 80)

02:03.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [10ec:8139] (rev 10)

02:05.0 Communication controller [0780]: Agere Systems V.92 56K WinModem [11c1:048c] (rev 03)

02:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) LAN Controller [8086:27dc] (rev 01)

Ok.. here is my two cents on this matter :)

I started to have this problem after the 10.5.6 update, don't know exactly when because, after the update TM was running.. i used it at least one time to restore back to 10.5.5 (for some testing) and another, after updating to 10.5.6 again, to backup the System. I don't use TM much so, 3 weeks after that, i went to use it and was greeted with "The built-in network interface could not be found."... WTF :blink:

Well, started searching and did found the solution presented here on some site but, it didn't worked.

I remembered that i saw someone mention a solution on a thread by the time of the update. Got looking and found it (Post #652). Anyway, the solution is very simple.. it involves adding your Ethernet device string to Boot.plist.. Goes like this:

- Download EFIStudio if you don't have it: GFXUtil News & Announcements

- Launch EFIStudio; in the "Device" area, click on the field were it says "Display" and change it to "Ethernet"

- Click on "Add Device" button below and in the new Editor window click on the "Write to com.apple.Boot.plist" button

- Enter you password, close the program and reboot

This is no secret, it's been around but i don't know who to credit it :rolleyes:

The "backup volume could not be found" thing, was never a problem to me. That only happened when i disabled backups (if i do remember correctly), it's only a matter of setting the backup disk to None and select one again.

So, if you have that problem after trying the solutions in this thread, try the ToH patched kext.

Hope this helps someone :D

Note: When i started on OSx86, the fix that i used (and still use) to get my Ethernet device recognized was, simply adding my device id (0x27dc8086) to Intel8255x.kext, inside IONetworkingFamily.kext. With time and updates it started failing, i mean, some times i had network others i'd had "cable unplugged". At some point i could only get network by using "-f" at boot prompt. I solved the problem by starting using a bootloader that uses Extra folder and placing IONetworkingFamily.kext in it.

Today and after a lot of testing placing the kext were it belongs, i got to the same conclusion. The only way i can get STABLE ALWAYS PLUGGED NETWORK, is by placing IONF.kext in Extra folder. ;)

Ok.. here is my two cents on this matter :)

I started to have this problem after the 10.5.6 update, don't know exactly when because, after the update TM was running.. i used it at least one time to restore back to 10.5.5 (for some testing) and another, after updating to 10.5.6 again, to backup the System. I don't use TM much so, 3 weeks after that, i went to use it and was greeted with "The built-in network interface could not be found."... WTF :D

Well, started searching and did found the solution presented here on some site but, it didn't worked.

I remembered that i saw someone mention a solution on this thread by the time of the update so, i got looking and i found it. This is no secret, it's been around but i couldn't found a place were is clearly stated so, i guess it's ok to join it to this thread if McPhil agrees. Anyway, the solution is very simple.. it involves adding your Ethernet device string to Boot.plist.. Goes like this:

- Download EFIStudio if you don't have it: GFXUtil News & Announcements

- Launch EFIStudio; in the "Device" area, click on the field were it says "Display" and change it to "Ethernet"

- Click on "Add Device" button below and in the new Editor window click on the "Write to com.apple.Boot.plist" button

- Enter you password, close the program and reboot

The "backup volume could not be found" thing, was never a problem to me. That only happened when i disabled backups (if do remember correctly), it's only a matter of setting the backup disk to None and select one again.

So, if you have that problem after trying the solutions in this thread, try the ToH patched kext.

Hope this helps someone :D

Note: When i started on OSx86, the fix that i used (and still use) to get my Ethernet device recognized was, simply adding my device id (0x27dc8086) to Intel8255x.kext, inside IONetworkingFamily.kext. With time and updates it started failing, i mean, some times i had network others i'd had "cable unplugged". At some point i could only get network by using "-f" at boot prompt. I solved the problem by starting using a bootloader that uses Extra folder and placing IONetworkingFamily.kext in it.

Today and after a lot of testing placing the kext were it belongs, i got to the same conclusion. The only way i can get STABLE ALWAYS PLUGGED NETWORK, is by placing IONF.kext in Extra folder. :)

This fix worked for me also, running Iatokos 10.5.6, on an Intel 975XBX2 system, backing up now as I type.

Thx!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Azimutz!

Hi. When I try this fix and restart, the time machine isn't fixed and it seems to undo the driver for my 8600gt card as well, so it boots with thee 1024x800 (or whatever it is) default display

Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks