[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

On another note, mostly to M J, but to others as well: up to now, I haven't been able to run 10.5.6 at all actually. I got the Waiting bug a lot before the update, but always afterwards. The same actually goed for non-retail installs. All the distro's I tried for direct 10.5.6 had it, independently of flags or kernel used, and after trying to update from iDeneb 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 with iDeneb's own update package, I got it again (10.5.5 working like a charm, as always). Is there something I'm missing, is there an action I must take before being able to run 10.5.6? I somehow fail to see the problem, and slowly just thinking it might be worth it to just wait for the end of the month - if that will help at all, of course..

I too was unable to boot into a 10.5.6 upgrade by following this thread. But I was able to do it just fine by using the full automated installer script (option 1) in the Gigabyte thread. It worked peachy, especially after updating (I had to do some manual syncing of seatbelt in order to mount the upgrade dmg since I installed from 10.5.0 and it uses a 9.6 kernel requiring the 10.5.6 seatbelt). I still wasn't able to enable HT and the other cores (still haven't managed that at any stage of any installation), but perhaps revisiting DSDT will fix that.

I'll try the kext downloads from some other machines -- that is so odd...

[update]

Looks like the zip problem I was having might have just been permissions; the Extensions folder unzips without read access, and I didn't catch that, so I was copying only one empty file fork (for only 3 kexts) from a ghost Extensions folder in the __MacOS X directory (which shouldn't be visible to begin with -- something got munged somewhere in the creation of this). I'll try it again tonight from home -- probably will work fine now ;p

I too was unable to boot into a 10.5.6 upgrade by following this thread. But I was able to do it just fine by using the full automated installer script (option 1) in the Gigabyte thread. It worked peachy, especially after updating (I had to do some manual syncing of seatbelt in order to mount the upgrade dmg since I installed from 10.5.0 and it uses a 9.6 kernel requiring the 10.5.6 seatbelt). I still wasn't able to enable HT and the other cores (still haven't managed that at any stage of any installation), but perhaps revisiting DSDT will fix that.

I'll try the kext downloads from some other machines -- that is so odd...

[update]

Looks like the zip problem I was having might have just been permissions; the Extensions folder unzips without read access, and I didn't catch that, so I was copying only one empty file fork (for only 3 kexts) from a ghost Extensions folder in the __MacOS X directory (which shouldn't be visible to begin with -- something got munged somewhere in the creation of this). I'll try it again tonight from home -- probably will work fine now ;p

Hi,

Glad you got it working!

During the DSDT routine in the post-patch script, did the installer find the the aliases and delete them? I'm trying to find some real world feedback on this, as I only have the Gigabyte board and the aliases don't come into play on it.

What I'd like to do is find out what process is working for you ASUS users, so I can make sure it's incorporated in the script. If there's something else that needs to be done or automated, like getting all cores working (I thought the alias trick would have been it), just let me know. I want to make this process as painless as possible.

Also, were the included kexts for the P6T Deluxe workable? Or did you have to use your own set?

regards,

MAJ

Hi,

Glad you got it working!

During the DSDT routine in the post-patch script, did the installer find the the aliases and delete them? I'm trying to find some real world feedback on this, as I only have the Gigabyte board and the aliases don't come into play on it.

What I'd like to do is find out what process is working for you ASUS users, so I can make sure it's incorporated in the script. If there's something else that needs to be done or automated, like getting all cores working (I thought the alias trick would have been it), just let me know. I want to make this process as painless as possible.

Also, were the included kexts for the P6T Deluxe workable? Or did you have to use your own set?

regards,

MAJ

The Kext in the efiv2 folder should work. The extension folder have its permissions set to root. thats why u can't open it from ur user account. once ur in terminal. just follow the insructions. Its pretty straight forward.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

In Phase 4, where it says

cd <directory containing kexts>

cp -R *.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions)

You should be in the terminal logged in as root. Type in "cd" the hit the space bar key. Then navigate to the extensions folder and drag it to the terminal. Then enter. Since u are logged in as root. if you type "ls" you should see the "Etensions.mkext."

Type in "cp -R Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI"

Then continue on to step 4 of Phase 4. Good luck. Just reply if u need help. Ill be on here later tonight.

you're gonna have to delete the aliases by hand. the patcher gives us a human-readable file, from which we have to manually delete those lines...

I'm not able to say anything about the installer as of yet, as I haven't used it; but what I can do, is confirm that just deleting the aliases works.

With a bit of luck, I'll be trying your method as well over the weekend. Alas, this still doesn't answer the question why this method works for some, not for others - after all, we have the same mobo's.. So it's either the bios config, or extra hardware: IDE drives instead of S-ATA, different graphics cards, more...? Perhaps someone has hidden knowledge on dissecting root device errors? Now that would be nice... ;)

Greetings,

AiBear

ps: MAJ, you might want to consider aknowledging the current year is 2009, and not - as you write in the dates of your updates - 2008 :(

Hi,

Glad you got it working!

regards,

MAJ

Thanks! It found and deleted 15 aliases. This was more than I was expecting it to find -- when I run the tutorial in this thread there are fewer (although there are some other Aliases farther in -- not sure if your script was referring to the latter ones, or if there were just more core aliases from this DSDT run).

I'm going to drop M J's kexts into the chameleon installation from your script and see if that gets the cores going. Fingers crossed :(

Success! Finally :unsure:

MAJ: the first 9 aliases should be deleted, but not the last 6 (apparently). The last 6 are in a different section and don't look like the first 9 CPU ones (see page 1 of this thread).

I ended up just re-running the tutorial in this thread, making sure to get the *right* extensions folder this time (there are two in the archive, and the one you can see into from the finder is the wrong one). It worked fine, finally. It boots in no time, and is very fast. The supplied networking kext did not enable the ethernet adaptor, but AppleYukon did. 10.5.6 update went fine as well.

P6T Deluxe

WD Velociraptor in SATA port 1

Samsung SATA DVD recorder in port 2

Old notebook SATA drive in port 3 or 4.

i7 920

Diamond Radeon 4870 1GB

2X DDR3 2GB (Patriot 6GB kit; my 3rd dimm is awaiting RMA).

I can't get anything higher than default resolution so far; time to try the new Radeon drivers...

I ended up just re-running the tutorial in this thread, making sure to get the *right* extensions folder this time (there are two in the archive, and the one you can see into from the finder is the wrong one).

Sorry to bother you about this again, but could you specify what you mean? This is the archive from this thread, right? I somehow didn't encounter two folders there...?

ps: MAJ, you might want to consider aknowledging the current year is 2009, and not - as you write in the dates of your updates - 2008 ;)

Ha! So, I'm a year behind. Thanks for the heads up! :D

Success! Finally :)

MAJ: the first 9 aliases should be deleted, but not the last 6 (apparently). The last 6 are in a different section and don't look like the first 9 CPU ones (see page 1 of this thread).

<snip>

Interesting. Thanks for that feedback.

Are you saying that there were other aliases outside the "Scope (_PR)" tag that were getting deleted that shouldn't have been? I have the script deleting each line that contains the "Alias (P" string.

You and anyone else wouldn't happen to have a old dsdt.dsl file with all the aliases to send my way, would you?

I'm wondering what other aliases it was deleting.

regards,

MAJ

Sorry to bother you about this again, but could you specify what you mean? This is the archive from this thread, right? I somehow didn't encounter two folders there...?

No bother at all :(

When unzipped by the native 10.5.x unzip app after downloading, that folder reveals a directory structure like:

__MACOSX (visible to all)

-->EFI_pack

---->Extensions (visible to all)

------>AppleSMBIOS.kext

-------->Contents (empty)

------>AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

------>System.kext

EFI_pack (visible to all)

-->com.apple.Boot.plist

-->mach_kernel.voodoo

-->Extensions (root-visibility only)

---->AppleSMBIOS.kext (the real one)

---->AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext (the real one)

---->dsmos.kext

---->IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

---->LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

---->LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

---->seatbelt.kext

---->System.kext (the real one)

I kept grabbing the wrong ones; I'd be logged into terminal as root, but I was dragging the visible Extensions folder into terminal to set the path to CD into. This is why the EFI tutorial's update.sh was always failing (it was only trying to grab three empty kexts), and my installations never worked.

Ha! So, I'm a year behind. Thanks for the heads up! ;)

Interesting. Thanks for that feedback.

Are you saying that there were other aliases outside the "Scope (_PR)" tag that were getting deleted that shouldn't have been? I have the script deleting each line that contains the "Alias (P" string.

You and anyone else wouldn't happen to have a old dsdt.dsl file with all the aliases to send my way, would you?

I'm wondering what other aliases it was deleting.

regards,

MAJ

There's the all known "Alias (P00n, CPUn)", nine times, and then, a lot further on, you can find six lines of "Alias (PRSA, PRS*)".

editThis means that changing the OUTPT=`sed '/Alias (P/{;d;}' Debug/dsdt.dsl` line to OUTPT=`sed '/Alias (P0/{;d;}' Debug/dsdt.dsl` will suffice; just did that, and it worked indeed :D

I've uploaded the whole dsdt.dsl file from my mobo (updated with 1303 bios) here. (considered making it a codebox, but that's waaaaay too big). Hope you'll be able to work with it, in case anything else needs to be done.

No bother at all :D

When unzipped by the native 10.5.x unzip app after downloading, that folder reveals a directory structure like:

__MACOSX (visible to all)

*snip*

I kept grabbing the wrong ones; I'd be logged into terminal as root, but I was dragging the visible Extensions folder into terminal to set the path to CD into. This is why the EFI tutorial's update.sh was always failing (it was only trying to grab three empty kexts), and my installations never worked.

I must add, I find it remarkable a folder starting with an underscore would be visible in Finder.. It makes making such mistakes easier indeed :unsure:

Glad you worked it out - now let's hope my install will work soon as well :) I'd love to do some video edit benching here.. :D

*edit* bashes head against desk... it's not the underscore-folders that are invisible, it's the dot-folders.. heheh - sorry bout that ^^

There's the all known "Alias (P00n, CPUn)", nine times, and then, a lot further on, you can find six lines of "Alias (PRSA, PRS*)".

editThis means that changing the OUTPT=`sed '/Alias (P/{;d;}' Debug/dsdt.dsl` line to OUTPT=`sed '/Alias (P0/{;d;}' Debug/dsdt.dsl` will suffice; just did that, and it worked indeed :)

I've uploaded the whole dsdt.dsl file from my mobo (updated with 1303 bios)

Thanks for that, AiBear!

Very helpful.

Just made that change, so it should be okay until we get over 99 logical cores! :( I could just limit the search/replace to that general area, but that complicates things. KISS.

EDIT: Oh, and I just realized that you figured that out and tested it. Heh!

regards,

MAJ

Thanks for that, AiBear!

Very helpful.

Just made that change, so it should be okay until we get over 99 logical cores! :) I could just limit the search/replace to that general area, but that complicates things. KISS.

EDIT: Oh, and I just realized that you figured that out and tested it. Heh!

regards,

MAJ

Ehm, well - yes, but there seems to be a problem. I only tested the file creation, and the output given at the time was that it had encountered 9 lines, so I just presumed it went okay; but when booting with the thus created dsdt file, the system still hangs (just tested it now, sorry). Which my system does often anyway - still with the root device bug. Booting with one core in safe mode worked, but just before I could manually do a dsdt patch (to check if it's not a problem with my system) - Finder gave up. I'm afraid I have to go now, so I'll try to do this tonight. I'll also check the manually corrected .dsl file against the automatic one, to see if there are any differences that could cause this.

In other words: I'm afraid it was a (partially) false alarm; I'll leave the file on the server for now, and I'll be testing more later on.

By the way: why choose for efi v8 instead of v9? Any specific reasons?

Greets, AiBear

Could someone PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE help .. PLEASE <beg>

I am on step 1 (yes I know, pathetic) and I got stuck.

I burned the Linux boot 123 cd and got the Check Sum Error

Did some searching and found I had to download the Generic ISO and replaced the contents of what's attached on the front page into the Generic ISO image.

Now when I boot , I get this "bad packet, trying to wing it" error message.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I have tried different CD rom Drives.

I have a P6t Delux board.

Ehm, well - yes, but there seems to be a problem. I only tested the file creation, and the output given at the time was that it had encountered 9 lines, so I just presumed it went okay; but when booting with the thus created dsdt file, the system still hangs (just tested it now, sorry). Which my system does often anyway - still with the root device bug. Booting with one core in safe mode worked, but just before I could manually do a dsdt patch (to check if it's not a problem with my system) - Finder gave up.

I'm curious why your system still hasn't behaved compared to others. Have you done a full CMOS clear (via the motherboard jumper, with power supply off) followed by a load defaults? What BIOS version? Also, did you take care to make sure the partitions all got cleared? I did this by switching to a different partition map in Disk Utility, formatting like that, and then switching back to GUID just to be sure it really nuked it.

Note that I didn't get my system to boot with all cores either when using MAJ's awesome script, only a single core -- I don't know whether it would have or not had I tried again, but this tutorial suddenly worked perfectly when I finally built the EFI correctly so I stopped fiddling.

Ehm, well - yes, but there seems to be a problem. I only tested the file creation, and the output given at the time was that it had encountered 9 lines, so I just presumed it went okay; but when booting with the thus created dsdt file, the system still hangs (just tested it now, sorry). Which my system does often anyway - still with the root device bug. Booting with one core in safe mode worked, but just before I could manually do a dsdt patch (to check if it's not a problem with my system) - Finder gave up. I'm afraid I have to go now, so I'll try to do this tonight. I'll also check the manually corrected .dsl file against the automatic one, to see if there are any differences that could cause this.

In other words: I'm afraid it was a (partially) false alarm; I'll leave the file on the server for now, and I'll be testing more later on.

By the way: why choose for efi v8 instead of v9? Any specific reasons?

Greets, AiBear

Hey, AiBear,

Let me know what you find out on your system. Hope it's running! If you don't want to bother with the DSDT file comparison, just sent me the script-updated version (that doesn't work) and I'll compare it with a "hand-edited" version. On the other hand, I just hope it wasn't the DSDT file that contributed to your issues. Thanks for your help.

Regarding EFI v8: At the time, that version was already scripted and easy to reuse. Version 9 is generally on a GUI installer and I didn't want to bother. But, as it turns out, I've just rewrote the installer script for EFI v9 Chameleon (v1.0.11) and uploaded it in my tutorial. It supports boot graphics, as well.

It's been an interesting process. The EFI v8 required all partitions unmounted, so that created a little bit of work to guarantee that they all get unmounted. The newer EFI v9 bootloader doesn't require that, so I stripped out all that code. However, it turns out I still needed the same process for separate feature I added - drive activation - all partitions need to be unmounted to write to the boot block with fdisk. The reason why I had to add the activation feature with unmounted partitions was because it was normally done during the pre-patch, when all partitions were unmounted anyway. Now, because unmounting is not needed for the bootloader install, I had to add the unmounting process for activation.

I've kept the activation process separate from the pre-patch so that the user can choose to activate a different partition.

Hope that all makes sense. I had to re-read it and re-write it to make it more clear. :D

regards,

MAJ

update in the front page :D

M J,

I noticed you have the string quoted for the AppleYukon2.kext with the "dollar" sign at the end:

Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper$

The only keys I've ever found had " SA" at the end (notice the space, too), as shown below:

Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA

Thought you might want to fix that before it confuses someone else. :D

regards,

MAJ