[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

Thanks for breaking it down, that actually does help. I have been using this script though (following the steps outlined at the beginning of this thread to the T) and have been getting the "still waiting on root.." error at step C3 and am trying to determine why.

I'm wondering if the 10.5.6 retail DVD is different setup than 10.5.5 and maybe a different slice? Or if perhaps my DVD drive isn't being found when I give rd=disk1s3 even if I only have 1 HDD and 1 DVD attached.

Any other ideas?

Sounds like you are not pressing the correct sequence of keys once the bootloader (123) has run.

Post on what to press at boot

Thanks all- this is a great guide!

I am wondering how to verify the steps as I go along?

When I try to fix something, do I need to start over completely?

Here are two examples:

After I enable HT and all cores in the BIOS and reboot:

1. It still asks to press 'y' to continue.

2. It hangs at:

MAC Framework sucessfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

When I go back into the BIOS and disable HT and all cores this does not happen.

I assume this a problem with my DSDT patching?

After I setup my EFI partition and reboot I hang at this screen

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boot0: done

boot1: startupfile

I see .fseventsd / UUID issues when booting from the Boot-132 CD with -v.

System - CPU: i7 920, MB: Asus P6T, HD: WD320Gb SATA, RAM: 2 x 3Gb 1066MHz

I am trying to do this on my P6t Deluxe.

My root device is not found when I dont go in -x.

But when I append this: "rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f -x rd=disk1s3". It says got boot device, but it freezes when it get to the actual install i.e. Welcome to OS X installation or I might get to the disk utility if I do it quickly but then the mouse and keyboard freeze.

Is there a case of a certain optical drive not being supported, etc? I have a Samsumg OEM Dvd writer, connected via SATA.

Been at this for long hours, anyone know got any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks all- this is a great guide!

I am wondering how to verify the steps as I go along?

When I try to fix something, do I need to start over completely?

Here are two examples:

After I enable HT and all cores in the BIOS and reboot:

1. It still asks to press 'y' to continue.

2. It hangs at:

MAC Framework sucessfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

When I go back into the BIOS and disable HT and all cores this does not happen.

I assume this a problem with my DSDT patching?

After I setup my EFI partition and reboot I hang at this screen

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boot0: done

boot1: startupfile

I see .fseventsd / UUID issues when booting from the Boot-132 CD with -v.

System - CPU: i7 920, MB: Asus P6T, HD: WD320Gb SATA, RAM: 2 x 3Gb 1066MHz

Somethings gone amiss with your EFI partition installation

I have had this happen beofre.

Boot into single user mode ( add -s)

mount the EFI partition on say your TMP directory

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /tmp

go to your Desktop / EFI folder

cd /Users/Blah/Destop/EFI***

re run the EFI setup again

Do the EFI / fdisk / install bootloader step again.

unmount the EFI partition

cd /

umount /tmp

reboot

see if that works

I am trying to do this on my P6t Deluxe.

My root device is not found when I dont go in -x.

But when I append this: "rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f -x rd=disk1s3". It says got boot device, but it freezes when it get to the actual install i.e. Welcome to OS X installation or I might get to the disk utility if I do it quickly but then the mouse and keyboard freeze.

Is there a case of a certain optical drive not being supported, etc? I have a Samsumg OEM Dvd writer, connected via SATA.

Been at this for long hours, anyone know got any ideas?

Thanks

Using a retail 10.5.6 disk?

or an earlier one?

I had this issue with the 10.5.6 retail disk.... no prob with an earlier one

also how have you got your system configed?

drives on which ports? and how many connected etc?

mouse keyboard in which ports?

Stanza

Using a retail 10.5.6 disk?

or an earlier one?

I had this issue with the 10.5.6 retail disk.... no prob with an earlier one

also how have you got your system configed?

drives on which ports? and how many connected etc?

mouse keyboard in which ports?

Stanza

Yea I am using a retail 10.5.6 disk.

I have a SATA 1 DVD. SATA 2 HDD. ---> Only one DVD and one HDD.

USB keyboard and mouse connected on the chassis usb ports which are connected to the Mobo obviously.

Also I have the HD 4870 1GB videocard, not sure thats an issue during the install.... I was trying safe mode with -x and it would still freeze.

Thanks

USB keyboard and mouse connected on the chassis usb ports which are connected to the Mobo obviously.

Also I have the HD 4870 1GB videocard, not sure thats an issue during the install.... I was trying safe mode with -x and it would still freeze.

Thanks

On mine I had the keyboard mouse in the 2 usb ports under the ps/2 keyboard port.

the other ports had issue until later in the install process.

Also I have heard others and I also have had the install fail / stall at the welcome screen if the network cable is disconnected

Anyone got working system on P6T(not deluxe)?

Trying to install 10.5.6 Retail with no success.

Everything goes well, but when graphics starting, it hangs forever.

Tried with -x, tried Nvidia 9600 and Ati 2600.

Thought it is AHCI related, so added LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext to Extra/Extensions.

After graphic installer starts, i have ~1 min, then it hangs. So i manage to open Utils/System Profiler. In Serial-ATA it shows correct data: ICH10R AHCI Controller.

Tried 9.5.0 and 9.6.0 voodoo - no success.

Tried a lot of other kexts - no success.

Reading this post(and others of course) for an week or so, nothing found about P6T Common.

Also, is there any way to disable this annoying graphic installer? I'm coming from unixes and became in use to control everything at command line.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Thats essentially the same problem that I have. That it hangs after a ~1 min. Anyone know the solution? Could it be the dvd drive? I am using an OEM Samsung. any suggestinos?

Thought it is AHCI related, so added LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext to Extra/Extensions.

After graphic installer starts, i have ~1 min, then it hangs. So i manage to open Utils/System Profiler. In Serial-ATA it shows correct data: ICH10R AHCI Controller.

Reading this post(and others of course) for an week or so, nothing found about P6T Common.

Also, is there any way to disable this annoying graphic installer? I'm coming from unixes and became in use to control everything at command line.

Thanks, Stanza,

I'm going to start with a fresh 10.5.1 install, and redo the DSDT patch and EFI partition.

If I get that far I will try this firewire & usb & network fix.

ok I fixed my firewire & usb and network problems.

copied the IONetwork & IOUSB and firewire kexts from OSX to the EFI partition and ran the update.sh again

USB / Firewire / network works as it should now :-)

Come on someones gotta know why it gets to the install and then hangs... I've tried what stanza said about the network cable, usb ports and also 10.5.4. Still gettitng the same results.

Thanks

Thats essentially the same problem that I have. That it hangs after a ~1 min. Anyone know the solution? Could it be the dvd drive? I am using an OEM Samsung. any suggestinos?

I've got it running in a regular ASUS P6T... But only after I threw the 10.5.6 dvd away, and used a 10.5 dvd.

Also I have it running from a SATA-Drive on the Jmicron controller, cause I'm using the ich10r controller in raid mode. But that shouldn't matter...

Do you have another vid card you can try Chris?

Might be a little bit NEW for what we are doing? altho I am guessing it shouldn't..... so long as it does standard VESA modes? even basic 800x600 or 1024x768 should get you through the install screen.

How long have you left it stuck? it does hang it places for a good 7-10mins

Stanza

hi all, I'm back !

I have news for you.

1) my problem isn't really solved. but I saw that JayDee48 has the same as me : freeze after 5-10 minutes.

as he said, I deactivated all cores, and everything's working fine.

I'll wait for 10.5.7 to get this working

2) USB Hot Plug

M J, you were right, your System.kext version was the right one. but in the EFI partition it doesn't work. and when you directly install it in S/L/Ex ... It WORKS !

3) Ethernet

this is still a problem to me. but I'll have to try some other things.

Hope It'll help you for usb hot plug

EDIT: and a little question. I saw that the only difference between EFI PACK V2 and V3 is the removal of IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext. but, why ?

It's never mentionned in the topic. could it be this causing the freezes ?

Still plugging away with my i7 920, Asus P6T.

At reboot I am still getting this error:

Determined CPU: FSB multiplier to be 0

CPU says its multiplier is 0 which makes no sense. The kernel as shipped by Apple will not support this and will cause the machine to reboot immediately. Press ‘y‘ to continue or Ctrl, Alt, Del to reboot.

No biggie, I just press y and it continues.

I am wondering if I am missing something in the patch your DSDT step.

Back again; had some more trouble.

Somehow, my EFI partition got b0rked after I had edited my Boot plist.

At first, my system wouldn't boot by itself: at the prompt, I would have to press enter to go on. So I went into the plist on the EFI partition, adding {Quiet Boot / Yes} and {Timeout / 3} flags. This made booting impossible, and gave me some weird [[Node]] message on startup.

So I reloaded onto an iDeneb disc and edited the plist from within it's terminal, removing the Timeout flag. Upon rebooting, I still got the same error..

The weird part comes here: when I went back into iDeneb's Terminal, I wasn't able to mount the EFI at all.. *sigh*

After trying different repairs on the boot disk (thought it might be the system), I finally just got p*ssed off this morning, erased the whole EFI and reinstalled it. Worked perfectly on reboot, with manually entered flags at startup. I re-edited the boot plist to reflect the UUID and flags, exactly as I had entered it manually; but on reboot, I got the lovely Root Device fail again :) This I don't understand... What's so different between manual input and plist input of boot flags? I would presume they work the same..

In any case, I might just try to install the new Chameleon (though I'm not entirely sure about using a RC); and if I have time, I'll play around with the different kexts and kernels. Any thoughts on that?

On that note: has anyone tried the new AnV-XNU 1.4 kernel? (or, for that matter, the two previous versions? If I'm well informed, 1.1 worked quite nicely, right MAJ? :D )

One other question, last one (for now): on boot, is it possible to define a different Boot.plist to boot from? On the prompt for example? In other words: let's say I have two boot partitions, and one is defined in the plist, can I have a spare file I can load? Or do I need to manually put in the other UUID to override it (if at all possible)?

*edit*: Just found this in the Chameleon docs; I presume it works similarly under other booters..

config=<file>			 Use an alternate Boot.plist file.

Many greetings to all, and thanks :(

AiBear

Do you have another vid card you can try Chris?

Might be a little bit NEW for what we are doing? altho I am guessing it shouldn't..... so long as it does standard VESA modes? even basic 800x600 or 1024x768 should get you through the install screen.

How long have you left it stuck? it does hang it places for a good 7-10mins

Stanza

I can state the 4870 is *not* too new for this, as I'm using one myself, with 1Gb onboard, and it works just fine; especially once you get your system up and going and install the newest Natit. VESA modes include most (all?) 4:3 resolutions; including 1024x768 and 1600x1200 - don't try anything outside of 4:3, as it won't work.

@ChrisV09: how long have you waited though? I've had my installations making escapades of up to 45minutes and even one entire hour during the boot procedure of the install DVD. As long as it doesn't *really* freeze: wait. Try loading it and go make yourself dinner for example, that tends to take a lot of waiting stress off of the whole routine.

Good luck!

AiBear

To the people using P6T non-Deluxe and not being able to boot/install:

Have you tried tweaking your own boot-132 disc? As there are some differences between the Deluxe version for which the disc in this thread is made and the non-Deluxe, you might have to remove / add a few kexts.

Differences are: P-ATA controller (Marvell 88SE6111 vs JMicron JMB363), LAN controller (Marvell 88E8056 vs Realtek 8111C), Audio controller (ADI AD2000B vs Realtek ALC1200), Firewire (Via VT6308 vs VIA VT6315N)... Although I'm not certain if this could cause problems, it's possible that it might interfere with your hardware. As you can see from posts #57 through #59 in this very thread, a few kext differences can cause this error. (At least, if I got what's happening to you guys right..)

Back again; had some more trouble.

Somehow, my EFI partition got b0rked after I had edited my Boot plist.

At first, my system wouldn't boot by itself: at the prompt, I would have to press enter to go on. So I went into the plist on the EFI partition, adding {Quiet Boot / Yes} and {Timeout / 3} flags. This made booting impossible, and gave me some weird [[Node]] message on startup.

So I reloaded onto an iDeneb disc and edited the plist from within it's terminal, removing the Timeout flag. Upon rebooting, I still got the same error..

The weird part comes here: when I went back into iDeneb's Terminal, I wasn't able to mount the EFI at all.. *sigh*

After trying different repairs on the boot disk (thought it might be the system), I finally just got p*ssed off this morning, erased the whole EFI and reinstalled it. Worked perfectly on reboot, with manually entered flags at startup. I re-edited the boot plist to reflect the UUID and flags, exactly as I had entered it manually; but on reboot, I got the lovely Root Device fail again :) This I don't understand... What's so different between manual input and plist input of boot flags? I would presume they work the same..

In any case, I might just try to install the new Chameleon (though I'm not entirely sure about using a RC); and if I have time, I'll play around with the different kexts and kernels. Any thoughts on that?

On that note: has anyone tried the new AnV-XNU 1.4 kernel? (or, for that matter, the two previous versions? If I'm well informed, 1.1 worked quite nicely, right MAJ? :D )

One other question, last one (for now): on boot, is it possible to define a different Boot.plist to boot from? On the prompt for example? In other words: let's say I have two boot partitions, and one is defined in the plist, can I have a spare file I can load? Or do I need to manually put in the other UUID to override it (if at all possible)?

*edit*: Just found this in the Chameleon docs; I presume it works similarly under other booters..

config=<file>			 Use an alternate Boot.plist file.

Many greetings to all, and thanks :)

AiBear

Okaaaaaay... And yet I'm extremely ashamed of myself at this point... My system only booted with manual uuid input.. After triple-checking the uuid for typos, I started getting annoyed - and then suddenly I saw I missed one block.

But I've learned from this that indeed, it's best to use uuid instead of rd=diskXsY, as this changes sometimes (at boot, my mac disk is disk0, once in the system - it's disk1, as it's on connector 3, and my windows disk is on 1; as I don't know at which moment it changes, uuid seems a better choice..)

Again, ashamed.. :)

Still - I will try Chameleon 2 :)

Greetings to all,

AiBear

I can state the 4870 is *not* too new for this, as I'm using one myself, with 1Gb onboard, and it works just fine; especially once you get your system up and going and install the newest Natit. VESA modes include most (all?) 4:3 resolutions; including 1024x768 and 1600x1200 - don't try anything outside of 4:3, as it won't work.

@ChrisV09: how long have you waited though? I've had my installations making escapades of up to 45minutes and even one entire hour during the boot procedure of the install DVD. As long as it doesn't *really* freeze: wait. Try loading it and go make yourself dinner for example, that tends to take a lot of waiting stress off of the whole routine.

Good luck!

AiBear

Wow, 45 minutes, I will admit that I havent left it alone for that long... maybe 20-25 mins at the max.... there where I usually have it "freeze" or hang on me after I click disk utility for the partitioning.. also do you suggest that I load the natit.kext on the boot 132 prior? or I can just do the install in safe mode i.e. -x because otherwise it just restarts saying "display: family specific matching fails". And yea the new kext from netkas is awesome! Can't wait.

2saz60l.jpg

The only issues, I see is the regular Firewire error in the verbose during the load and these lines:

extension org.tgwbd.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort is not loadable

Can't determine dependencies for org.tgwbd.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort.

But the System Moves on... and does fine I guess... will leave it there until it gets working now :rolleyes:

ChrisV09, any luck yet? :)

And yea the new kext from netkas is awesome! Can't wait.

what new kext you meant?

just want to say... i left it for entire night to "Gather disk information"

it seems he gathered a lot of info... :)

but did not allow me to continue installation

tried a plenty of kexts variations

various versions - 10.5.4, 10.5.5, 10.5.6

various DVD disks at various(low) writing speed burnt with various burners

i even(pst, pst) removed all PCI devices and cleared CMOS(thinking macs actually has no PCI)

tried variations of DDR3 channels setup

tried different HDD

etc etc

ChrisV09, any luck yet? :)

what new kext you meant?

just want to say... i left it for entire night to "Gather disk information"

it seems he gathered a lot of info... :censored2:

but did not allow me to continue installation

tried a plenty of kexts variations

various versions - 10.5.4, 10.5.5, 10.5.6

various DVD disks at various(low) writing speed burnt with various burners

i even(pst, pst) removed all PCI devices and cleared CMOS(thinking macs actually has no PCI)

tried variations of DDR3 channels setup

tried different HDD

etc etc

Good Day: are you getting the same error > appleahciport not loadable? if so I was wondering, maybe we have to install the driver for ich10r ahci. Asus CD came with it and I think its done via floppy drive.

I might be wrong. CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS.

This is really really frustating... I left it there for like 5 hours and nothing. Now I went ahead and bought a ATAPI/IDE Drive... but I keep getting the "Still waiting for the root device".

Along with that I still get the

extension org.tgwbd.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort is not loadable

Can't determine dependencies for org.tgwbd.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort.

What is that? I have ahci enabled but I still keep getting that... has something changed with the 6T Deluxe V2.

I have been trying this for like 5 days now.... same issue... someone has to know.

Ive just tried taking out the LegacyAppleAHCI kext and loaded the install... even though those errors don't show up... it still hangs at the install... I worked really fast and got till here this time :

116kmjs.jpg

Left it there again.. for a really long time... but nothing. I really think somethings have changed at the Deluxe V2, but wish I knew how to check what.

Thanks

HAS ANYBODY GOT THIS WORKING ON ASUS P6T DELUXE V2. If so on what settings and did you change anything from the original post.

Left it there again.. for a really long time... but nothing. I really think somethings have changed at the Deluxe V2, but wish I knew how to check what.

I'm beginning to think you are right, except I can't even get past the still waiting on root error during install.

I've tried:multiple combination's of USB DVD, SATA DVD, IDE DVD, SATA HDD, IDE HDD to no avail. (what combination has worked *sorta for you Chris?)

I'm also using a PS2 keyboard... I've read bits and pieces about it causing problems, is that true?

I seem to recall someone earlier mentioning that they recommend installing a hacked version before attempting to install the retail DVD because it alleviates some issues. If that is true, what version would you recommend that will work on the p6t del v2 and is there a decent tutorial about? I'm talking about a fresh install as I've never had a working osx86 version up and running yet... I'll start anywhere... i just want to see it work on my rig :hysterical:

Many thanks in advance.

Just a fast reply, I'll try doing a longer bit this evening:

The 'beach ball' problem only occurs before actually entering the setup; once you're inside (like you guys are), it's bound to be something else.

AHCI is basically the setting OS X uses to access your harddrives - you shouldn't use it in IDE mode (afaik, it won't work). It looks it's either freezing while accessing your drives, or just freezing after a short time. Could you try doing other things / using other apps than Disk Utility, like Terminal for example, and just browse around - to see whether the system locks up then as well.

Also: ps/2 is NOT supported in the Retail installation method with the boot-132 disc provided. You'd have to install a ps/2 kext on your own.

As for the video drivers: wait with those until your system is actually up and running; it's really just a small thing once your system's up, but can cause plenty of problems before it is.

Just for info: could you guys mention (again, I konw, sorry) how many harddrives you're running, how everything is connected, which boot-132 disc you're using and what *exact* command you type?

And yes, it's a good thing to install a distro first, to at least be able to partition your drive, have a backup, see if it runs at all, etc etc... I personally recommend iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) and iAtkos v5i (10.5.5), as I've had the best results with those two. If you do that: remember to install a patched kernel!

Greetings and good luck,

AiBear