[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

I have an ASUS p5n-e sli (i650) with 4GB RAM and an AXLE NVIDIA 8600GT with 1GB. I can boot and get it to recognize my retail DVD and begin the install but I get to the point where it checks the CPU multiplier and it reboots every time. I cannot get past it no matter what switches I use on the Darwin boot or parameter changes I make to the BIOS.

Can anyone provide any suggestions? Is there a way for me to specify busratio=xx for my system as well?

Thanks for any advice!!!

I have an ASUS p5n-e sli (i650) with 4GB RAM and an AXLE NVIDIA 8600GT with 1GB. I can boot and get it to recognize my retail DVD and begin the install but I get to the point where it checks the CPU multiplier and it reboots every time. I cannot get past it no matter what switches I use on the Darwin boot or parameter changes I make to the BIOS.

Can anyone provide any suggestions? Is there a way for me to specify busratio=xx for my system as well?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Use another boot dics to boot your leopard retail DVD, or first of all put your busratio=XX to your processor's max value

To know your busratio you have to know your CPU Frequency with its base clock for exemple 1333FSB CPU have a base clock of 333Mhz and 1066 have 266 Mhz!

eg : for a Q6600 base clock is 266Mhz (FSB=1066 (266x4)) and its frequency is 2400Mhz i can now determine its busratio by : 2400(cpu frequency)/266(base clock)= busratio = 9.0

You can use CPU Z to know that, but you have to disable C1E in your bios, cuz CPU Z will show you the smallest busratio of your CPU!

So for a Q6600 you wil have to boot with this line (according to M J's tutorial):

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=9 -v -f rd=disk1s3

Good luck

i don't know, try creating a slimbuild boot disc the same as the one from Frankest1, but also add the AppleYukon kext thingie. Google insanelymac for the slimbuild method. Let us know your results :)

Slimbuild skips on Legacy kext, takes only the native if both are present. I will try to patch the native kext adding Yukon-88E8056 to IOKitPersonalities and changing OSBundleRequired to Root.

This is driving me mad now!

Installed AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and I now have sound.

Installed LegacyAppleYukon2.kext but LAN still not working??

Also, I cannot seem to get any resolutions other than 1024x768 - I've tried a few "easy" installers for my 8800GTX but it makes no difference. Also if I open readme files, the scrolling is all corrupt..

I'm so close to getting this working, but I'm getting frustrated now!!

Please help me finish off the install! Please!!

Ok,

I now have LAN working using a post from earlier up by Lurscher and I'm typing this from in Safari :-)

Just the 8800GTX graphics card now - Safari doesn't scroll properly and the display is pants on my 30" Dell TFT.

One other thing, some keys on my keyboard are wrong.. I get ` instead of \ and so on..

Any ideas?

Really need help on the graphics driver.. I thought the 8800 series was supported ootb?

Thanks!

Sorry to keep replying!!

I have my 8800GTX working now - I had to install an NVinject.kext (I used Kext Helper to do this, as when I try with OSx86Tools, it gives an error when it does the mkdr OSX)

Anyway, just the niggles with the keyboard layout to sort now!

Again, sorry for all the replies to myself!!!

Also, I cannot seem to get any resolutions other than 1024x768 - I've tried a few "easy" installers for my 8800GTX but it makes no difference. Also if I open readme files, the scrolling is all corrupt..

Me too! I'm block i've no sound no graphic but i've lan by replacing key's and strings in a plist file in IONetworkingFamily, but i think thats the more important is graphic support cuz i can't bear the MF glitches with the mouse!

Me too! I'm block i've no sound no graphic but i've lan by replacing key's and strings in a plist file in IONetworkingFamily, but i think thats the more important is graphic support cuz i can't bear the MF glitches with the mouse!

I'm stuck with sound! I've installed the appleazaliaaudio.kext with OSX86 tools but at reboot i get no sound trought my HP! On more thing to install kext i'm obliged to install it with guest account trought admin rights cuz under my admin session kext files are recognized like folder so OSX 86 can't install it!

Ortherwise Legacy yukon2 is fully fonctionnal!

Strangely enough, I had no sound after installing the kext - however, when I went into the sound properties, and changed the volume, it miraculously started working...

I'm just trying to figure out how to dual boot now...

This is the first time I've really used OSX in anger, I did buy a 24" iMac some time ago, but took it back because the speed compared to my quad core PC was woeful..

This is now running on my Asus P6T Core i7 920, and it flies!

Really nice OS, I'm impressed.... :-)

I need to find a game to play now to see what the performance is like.. I'm running Leo in 2560x1600 :-)

Anyway, just the niggles with the keyboard layout to sort now!

psykix, did you try on system preferences->Keyboard & mouse (keyboard tab) ->change keyboard type... ?

Also, good luck with the dual boot. I stopped trying since i realised that windows kept overwritting the mbr of hybrid gpt partition.

What i did is i bought a separate disk on which i installed windows xp x64 there. Crysis & GTA IV run beatiful on my mid-end card :rolleyes:

beware! i made the mistake of running the windows installer and install on the secondary hdd where the primary (boot) hdd would be leopard. oh what i mistake; i dont know what it did but whatever it was, made that secondary disk unmountable from mac. fsck won't help. disk utility would hang just by clicking the disk. Had to fix my main leopard disk boot, UNPLUG it (for safe), reboot windows installer, reformat all the partition and then install again

now i have dual boot by pressing F8 during boot and choosing boot device. Probably some trick there is to have a boot menu for choosing both but i rather not become insane trying to figure out how

psykix, did you try on system preferences->Keyboard & mouse (keyboard tab) ->change keyboard type... ?

Also, good luck with the dual boot. I stopped trying since i realised that windows kept overwritting the mbr of hybrid gpt partition.

What i did is i bought a separate disk on which i installed windows xp x64 there. Crysis & GTA IV run beatiful on my mid-end card :P

beware! i made the mistake of running the windows installer and install on the secondary hdd where the primary (boot) hdd would be leopard. oh what i mistake; i dont know what it did but whatever it was, made that secondary disk unmountable from mac. fsck won't help. disk utility would hang just by clicking the disk. Had to fix my main leopard disk boot, UNPLUG it (for safe), reboot windows installer, reformat all the partition and then install again

now i have dual boot by pressing F8 during boot and choosing boot device. Probably some trick there is to have a boot menu for choosing both but i rather not become insane trying to figure out how

I think there is nothing to do with sound, i can't do it running on my PC! and can't move the sound in sound properties cuz it detectes no harware! I will really buy a mac cuz i'm fand of this system it's really good to work with it!

I have only Quartz GL enable and can't activate quartz extreme!

It's very hard to do it operationnal!

Use another boot dics to boot your leopard retail DVD, or first of all put your busratio=XX to your processor's max value

To know your busratio you have to know your CPU Frequency with its base clock for exemple 1333FSB CPU have a base clock of 333Mhz and 1066 have 266 Mhz!

eg : for a Q6600 base clock is 266Mhz (FSB=1066 (266x4)) and its frequency is 2400Mhz i can now determine its busratio by : 2400(cpu frequency)/266(base clock)= busratio = 9.0

You can use CPU Z to know that, but you have to disable C1E in your bios, cuz CPU Z will show you the smallest busratio of your CPU!

So for a Q6600 you wil have to boot with this line (according to M J's tutorial):

Good luck

I appreciate the assistance and the explanation. My cpu freq is 1800 and my base clock is 200 so my busratio=9.

I've burned the CD with the iso from the beginning of this post and I copied over the following extensions into an Extensions folder within the Extras folder:

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

JMicronATA.kext

Natit.kext

NVkush.kext

The system boots from the disk and says that the system could not find the system/library/...com.apple.Boot.plist

Then I receive the Darwin boot with:

hd(31,0) CONTENTS

I press esc and use the default boot device 9f

I put in my retail CD and then get:

hd(31,1) Mac OS X Install DVD

I type:

and it says to press any key to boot from CDrom or press F8 to specify boot options but it does not start to boot. If I then press any key or just press F8 and -v -f it boots but then gets to the same point to where it checks the CPU multiplier and reboots...

Is there something that I'm missing?

Okay, using the slimbuild from MJ it seems that I do not get the ...plist error and my system does not reboot. The install continues from my retail DVD and I just get stuck at the Still waiting for root device...

I'm wondering if it is because the slimbuild version doesn't have the jmicron extension. Could that be my issue? If so, how can I add it easily...given that there is no Extensions folder? Can I just create an Extensions folder with the jmicron extension in it and add it to the .img file and then just create an updated .iso?

As a side note...I've been using MagicISO with some mixed results under bootcamp so I may try the slimbuild method.

What i did is i bought a separate disk on which i installed windows xp x64 there. Crysis & GTA IV run beatiful on my mid-end card :D

I did that, and it tells me to press the key to the right of the shift key which I do.. It then tells me I have a European ISO keyboard I think it is... But still keys don't work properly. Strangely enough though, my volume control and mute buttons etc on the keyboard work perfectly! I'm using a Dinovo Edge keyboard..

With regards to dual boot - I have a Perc 6/i RAID 0 which runs Windows 7. OSX is installed on a separate SATA II drive (and nothing else is on the drive)

I tried using EasyBCD - it creates the bootloaders, but then if I select OSX, then hit F8 and select to boot from 81 it hits the white screen and reboots. Selecting 80 just takes me back to the boot selection...

Any ideas?

Okay, using the slimbuild from MJ it seems that I do not get the ...plist error and my system does not reboot. The install continues from my retail DVD and I just get stuck at the Still waiting for root device...

I'm wondering if it is because the slimbuild version doesn't have the jmicron extension. Could that be my issue? If so, how can I add it easily...given that there is no Extensions folder? Can I just create an Extensions folder with the jmicron extension in it and add it to the .img file and then just create an updated .iso?

As a side note...I've been using MagicISO with some mixed results under bootcamp so I may try the slimbuild method.

Have you any IDE device in your system? This message means that the "installer" did not find the hard drive or so... So you've to check your PC for P ATA device and remove it! I think it's the solution to your problem! It was the same problem with me so i bought a SATA DVD drive instead! And it works!

But what you've done interessted me:

I've burned the CD with the iso from the beginning of this post and I copied over the following extensions into an Extensions folder within the Extras folder:

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

JMicronATA.kext

Natit.kext

NVkush.kext

I have yet video support but no quartz extreme! Will try with lursher's method, and where can i find the NVKush.kext, cuz for the moment for video i use PCWiz package for 9800GTXC graphic card, but as i say it beore it works not totally!

heistsj, this guide is specific for the Asus P6T Deluxe, which has a LGA1366 socket, i.e. the new core i7 processors by intel. I don't know how far you will get with your system... you could use it as a very general line to follow, but you will need different files and not all sections may apply to you...

I will try Aqua-mac's 9000 series installeur V2 for fully graphic support with GFX strings for 9800GTX! But first i want to know the manipulation to remove my actual pkg file for graphic support called PCWiz9800GTX?

I don't no how remove a pkg file, i've only see that this package installer (PCWiz9800GTX) have create at root directory a backup file containing all the OOTB N'vidia Kext, i suppose it's normal!

Thanks for help!

heistsj, this guide is specific for the Asus P6T Deluxe, which has a LGA1366 socket, i.e. the new core i7 processors by intel. I don't know how far you will get with your system... you could use it as a very general line to follow, but you will need different files and not all sections may apply to you...

Thanks M J! I appreciate the advice. I've been trying a bunch of these methods from a very general line. I can install kalyway 10.5.2 without a hitch but have had no luck with any retail method. Bummer.

Just for kicks...can I just get rid of the extensions.mkext and replace it with my extension folder that I've collected from other posts? Or do you think that the mach_kernel.voodoo just isn't going to do it for me?

Have you any IDE device in your system? This message means that the "installer" did not find the hard drive or so... So you've to check your PC for P ATA device and remove it! I think it's the solution to your problem! It was the same problem with me so i bought a SATA DVD drive instead! And it works!

But what you've done interessted me:

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

JMicronATA.kext

Natit.kext

NVkush.kext

I have yet video support but no quartz extreme! Will try with lursher's method, and where can i find the NVKush.kext, cuz for the moment for video i use PCWiz package for 9800GTXC graphic card, but as i say it beore it works not totally!

I've a single harddrive which is IDE and my DVD drive is an LG sata. My processor's an E2160. Are you saying that I need to replace the harddrive?

BTW...thanks much for the advice on the busratio...that was it...and it got me to where I am now. Obliged.

Thanks M J! I appreciate the advice. I've been trying a bunch of these methods from a very general line. I can install kalyway 10.5.2 without a hitch but have had no luck with any retail method. Bummer.

Just for kicks...can I just get rid of the extensions.mkext and replace it with my extension folder that I've collected from other posts? Or do you think that the mach_kernel.voodoo just isn't going to do it for me?

I've a single harddrive which is IDE and my DVD drive is an LG sata. My processor's an E2160. Are you saying that I need to replace the harddrive?

BTW...thanks much for the advice on the busratio...that was it...and it got me to where I am now. Obliged.

Probably cuz for the retail install i've no IDE support yet (With a P6T Deluxe Mobo!)

You should definitely do that! As for the voodoo kernel, I'm pretty sure it works for you, but you should search if your processor runs with vanilla kernel, that would be less hassle for you.

Also, you might not need the busratio flag at all, that is absolutely needed only for i7 I think... And having an IDE drive will be a problem for sure, if you replace it with a SATA it will be easier, I don't know if you can install on a IDE drive? You would probably need the right kext for your IDE controller...

hi all,

i'm here again for other problems

In did a fresh install from a Retail disc (10.5.0)

but did'nt follow exactly your tutorial.

I installed PC EFI v9 Bootloader and used the /Extra/Extensions folder

For the kexts, I took

- EFI_pack v2 from this thread,

- added the system.kext from the last voodoo kernel,

- and the ICH10R kexts from netkas

For the gfx, i used a efi string for my Geforce 9600 GT, works well.

I updated to the 10.5.6 with the combo update

now everything seems to work fine.

but I get a KP every 5 minutes :

Panic (CPU 2 caller 0x001A8927): Machine Check at 0x001A9F56, thread: 0x96C87D8, trapno:

But it doesn't show more.

And its not linked to what i'm doing, because it happens when it's idle, updating, migrating files, or surfing.

in addition to that i saw that in activity monitor i have only one core.

i don't understand that because i have all cores enabled and HT too. and I patched the DSDT.aml file...

Please help, cause I dunno what to do now...