[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

hey still having big problems...

cant get 9600gt to work...

with the drivers from the drivers thread for it - i insall and get no change except scroll is screwed...

with drivers and efi string - same as above...

with drivers, efi string, nvdarwin 1.25... i get a reboot into a blank black screen...

all in 10.5.6...

any ideas???

also how with the new chameleon affect an install when it is released???

@johnathandoe:

USB: should work with voodoo+10.5.6... what is the problem exactly?

RAID: no way, i'm sorry. motherboard raid is still software raid, which requires a driver. and of course the driver does not exist for mac. i don't think there is a fix for your prblem...

@hokkie: did you install the retail? where do you get stuck? post us a scrennshot. as for the kernel, choose the newer non-vanilla option. 9.5.0 vanilla will not work for sure.

did others have issues with Suspend Mode? mine is set to [AUTO] and works perfectly, but for some it has to be set to S3? tell me so i can update the guide!

it's definitely a problem with your graphic card driver!

mmh, are you sure ?

'cause I removed the efi string so it doesn't load the driver.

but I got the same kernel panic, and a new install didn't get any better.

I tried with another graphic card too : nVidia 7300 GT 256 MB

and with a new EFI string I got the same KP ...

And I looked at this thread : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=131914

I have the same model, so how can I have a driver problem, when the driver is natively supported.

I see that I have the same KP that Heistsj had a few days ago.

And It seems I have the same hardware than scott_donald

Last thing, my EFI strings are made with OSX86Tools

mmh, are you sure ?

'cause I removed the efi string so it doesn't load the driver.

but I got the same kernel panic, and a new install didn't get any better.

I tried with another graphic card too : nVidia 7300 GT 256 MB

and with a new EFI string I got the same KP ...

And I looked at this thread : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=131914

I have the same model, so how can I have a driver problem, when the driver is natively supported.

I see that I have the same KP that Heistsj had a few days ago.

And It seems I have the same hardware than scott_donald

Last thing, my EFI strings are made with OSX86Tools

i have had the same kernel panic at one time or another... cant rem whaich install... done so many...

onigoetz, if you read along the lines of the KP you will see something about com.apple.GeForce and com.apple.NVDAResman... it is something about graphics. if you use EFI strings i think you should delete every NATIT, NVInject and NVKush kext you have... but i might remember wrongly...

anyway, as your problem is about graphics, i suggest you try to get your help elsewhere: this topic is specific about the Asus MB, and beside keeping this thread cleaner you will also find way more qualified people in the graphics section of insanely. :D

Hi all,

to contribute to this thread I quickly wanted to share my experiences installing my brand new OS X Box Set (10.5.6+iLife 09+iWork 09) on the following HW:

Asus P6T Deluxe

Core i7 920

12 GB DDR3

Western Digital SATA II HD 500GB on SATA1

Asus DRW22B1LT DVD Writer

Asus GeForce 9600GT Silent 512 MB/GDDR3

I was somewhat wary of trying this as I could not make iDeneb 1.3 work, i.e. it Bootet from DVD, installed on HD an booted, but immediatly rebootet :-( - so I decided to try the Retail-Disc method.

Following this howto worked for most part for me flawless (evaluated only to the point of sucessfull HD Reboot) with a OS X server 10.5 which was the only Retail-Disk in reach, but for licensing Reasons I did not want to leave it at that. I purchased above mentioned Box Set (which is good value I think).

I was quite frustrated that the install with the 10.5.6 Retail hung with the dreaded "Still waiting for root device" - no BIOS adjustment or SATA-port-swapping could solve this.

SOLUTION: in Step C.3. use

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -legacy -v -f rd=disk[n]s3

With the added "-legacy" everything went smooth, only DVD access at installation appeared excessivly slow (installation on HD took 30 minutes or so)

Setup of EFI patition as described in HOWTO.

I was not able to get the LegacyYukon Drivers to work - no way. I installed AppleYukon2.kext (search the forum) and the worked staight away.

Graphics:

Since 10.5.6 natively supports the 9600 GT no third-party drivers are neccessary,

you need to put your device-ID into NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext als described here and put an EFI String into your com.apple.Boot.plist as described

elsewhere. Thats it - in my case next System boot was Dual Screen with all bells and whistles.

If you are, like me in a Situation where you need to access Disks with linux Filesystems (ext2/ext3) on them, don't bother with Ext2FS found on SourceForge (which simply would not take some of my linux partitions despite beeing checked under linux), use the Driver from Paragon Software http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/,

with the free 10 Day trial you should be able to copy over all of your data.

I hope some of my observations are of use to you, Tons of thanks to the orignal writer of the Howto and all involved to make this happen.

PS: Sorry for my english, am not a native speaker...

Jens

I have completed the steps (A through to F) several times and I can boot into 10.5 no problems and have completed step F and it boot's from the EFI without the DVD.

Then when I install the 10.5.6 update and reboot it errors with waiting for root device.

Asus Rampage II Extreme

Intel i7 920

GTX260

6GB DR3

250GB Sata II Maxtor

2x 150GB Raptor RAID0 (Vista)

Pioneer SATA DVD

it's something to do with the drive numbering, as soon as I moved that drive to the primary sata port it booted up fine.

The boot time was extraordinarily fast too, very impressed makes my Mac Pro seem decidedly slow.

When I change the BIOS from AHCI to RAID so I can boot my Vista RAID0 the boot fails again with waiting for root device.

But if I change the BIOS back to AHCI it works again.

I don't mind the extra step but I would guess it can't be too difficult to get it working with RAID enabled too.

if you want to dual boot without accessing the SATA settings in the BIOS, that's impossible. if you set it to RAID you will only boot vista, as mac will give you a "still waiting for root device" loop 'cause it doesn't read the RAID; and if you set it to AHCI only mac will boot, Vista will try to boot from the first disk but it will fail because the data is split between the two disks... maybe i haven't understood what you need?

I have the LAN and Audio fully working on the Rampage II Extreme.

Graphics I've hit a brick wall with, I pretty much knew it was going to be a problem due to the lack of support for the nVidia GTX 260. I edited com.apple.Boot.plist to get the resolution up to 1920x1200 which works ok apart from I can't seem to get a picture when I play movies in VLC.

WOW, this is FAST.

I also have a Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad Core (2xDual Core) with 4GB RAM in it.

I did a quick comparison transcoding an .mkv file to .mp4 with VisualHub.

Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM = 18minutes

ASUS RIIE i7 920@3.8GHz 3GB RAM = 9minutes

It was literally TWICE as quick as the real thing.

First of all, amazing work guys. MJ first of course, but thanks to a lot of the posters that provided info as well. I followed the thread from beg to end, I have a nearly working system up but I still can't get my LAN working. I couldn't follow exactly which driver lurscher used. Can you spell it out for the newbie? lol sorry. I tried AppleYukon2, LegacyAppleYukon2, Yukon2 (from the auto installer in the osx86 tools)...nothing seems to work. I installed an older realtek card for now but I really want gigabit on this machine.

I'm using a P6T asus deluxe and a i7 920 with 3GB of RAM. The only thing out of spec is my EVGA 260 =(. Which i know I've heard plenty of people saying its not supported, but is there anything I can do to get better support for it? more than the bare minumum? I admit I'm pushing the default drivers cause I've got my resolution set to 1920x1200 with the com.apple.boot.plist...but sometimes when I scroll, or move a window...stuff starts overlapping each other. (picture of when I move a textedit window).

post-281214-1234803874_thumb.png

When I resize, or minimize then un minimize a window, its fine after that. I don't know much about QC/QE or QE/QI stuff, whatever it is called..but will that help me? will GFX strings help me? I've tried to do my research...but all I ended up with was more options than guidance.

Anyway....any help with the LAN would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, I absolutely LOVE this machine now =D.

oh and not to get greedy or anything, but anyone tried to get 'sleep' working? haha

I'm assuming that the Asus P6T uses the Marvel Yukon 88E8056 NIC if so I used the below guide to get mine working:

Open the terminal and type the following:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

(find and change: <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>)

(to: <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>0x436211AB</string>)

(to: <string>0x436411AB</string>) <-- change "62" to "64"

(find and change: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper$</string>)

(to: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper$</string>) <-- change "53" to "56"

Ctrl O <--- Thats letter O

Enter

Ctrl X

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Reboot.

Ah, thank you joker..that did it. Well almost but not exactly. What you suggested helped...but it would not work until I copied the AppleYukon2.kext (the one who's Info.plist you told me to modify) to my desktop and used the osx86 tools to install it. For some reason, like lurscher, my IONetworking kext isn't getting referenced or whatever. Anyway...hope this helps others who were clueless about this issue as well. Thanks again all.

still curious about the video card issue but I'll post on video card thread about it.

Ok, some new issues, heh.

So i gave in and got an ati 3870 to replace my gtx260 for now. Now I'm getting this when I boot up through EFI:

post-281214-1234909822_thumb.jpg

Any ideas? It doesn't come up if boot up with -x. I rebuilt my dsdt file and put it in the EFI disk, still no luck. Installed drivers for the 3870 from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107526 still no change.

I'm getting mutlimonitor support under safe mode even, so that makes me very happy...but still irking me that i'm in safe mode.

Update: aaaand I just noticed I don't have audio =(. But that just might be due to the fact I'm in safe mode, so i won't fret yet.

Ok, got it fixed....

I had a <key>'Graphics Mode'</key>

in my com.apple.boot.plist for the gtx260...I guess my ati card didn't like that, once I took it out...everything is perfect, even audio...now to install xnu, vmware, and try my vpn software again (it had crapped out earlier =p).

Hi everyone, i need help installing kayway 10.5.2 in my new rig, to the guy that make kalyway work on its p6t deluxe please help me with the settings you put at the bios, i put the settings posted in this forum but doesnt work with kalyway for me... -_-

please help me...

this is my system

asus p6t deluxe

intel core i7 920

corsair dd3-1600 6gb

evga gtx280

corsair 750tx

sound blaster audigy se

samsung spinpoint f1 1tb sata

samsung dvdrw ide

I have almost perfectly installed 10.5.6 Retail one small Problem is that USB hotplug still doesn't work.

I read somewhere it might be System.kext from the Voodoo Kernel that needs to be installed? Any body have any idea how to fix?

Followed guide step to step so that's good for sure!

I have almost perfectly installed 10.5.6 Retail one small Problem is that USB hotplug still doesn't work.

I read somewhere it might be System.kext from the Voodoo Kernel that needs to be installed? Any body have any idea how to fix?

Followed guide step to step so that's good for sure!

I have the same problem. If I plug in a usb jump drive, and leave it in while booting up, the plugs seem to work fine after that.

Sorry I can't give an explanation, but I don't understand what causes this problem.

I also have problems with my install...

My specs.

Intel 920 Core i7

Asys p6t deluxe

4gb DD3 1333 Mhz

Asus GT8600GT

320 GB Sata II

SB Audigy SE

DVD-drive

My OS X is a downloaded Image of 10.5.6 . I have an earlier version of OS X for my macbook, but I suspect it won't work because it checks the version of my computer.

Anyway, after a few attempts I survived al the dreaded errors, like waiting for boot device etc.

Now, when I install my precious little OS X it just freezes at random moments. Sometimes it's when I format my drive and partition it, or when the install program checks the disk, or while it's installing. I waited a while, but it didn't come back. Any ideas what this could be? I did all the recommended Bios settings.

Could it have something to do with the IntelCPUPowermanagement things, wich overheats the cpu? I saw quick mention of it being 'blacklisted' in the voodoo kernel msg screen...