[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

i have updated mine... i have a vary clean 10.5.4 right now, only loading in safe mode♠... but i can get beyond that with problems... following this guide has got me closer but dam this is frustrating...

Monday i'll try the tutorial with a biosupdate AND original retail dvd... if this is not working... maybe i'll give it a try with the oldschool Kalyway 10.5.2 :) , this boots on the fly. But i'll need to update the voodoo kernel manually and update to 10.5.6 :wacko:

I'll post my results...

Thanks M J! I appreciate the advice. I've been trying a bunch of these methods from a very general line. I can install kalyway 10.5.2 without a hitch but have had no luck with any retail method. Bummer.

Just for kicks...can I just get rid of the extensions.mkext and replace it with my extension folder that I've collected from other posts? Or do you think that the mach_kernel.voodoo just isn't going to do it for me?

I've a single harddrive which is IDE and my DVD drive is an LG sata. My processor's an E2160. Are you saying that I need to replace the harddrive?

BTW...thanks much for the advice on the busratio...that was it...and it got me to where I am now. Obliged.

So I have an update...more progress!!!! But not there yet :(

I removed the extensions.mkext and replaced it with my extensions folder. I booted with the same options got to a point where the drivers were all loading and the kernel linker was jettisoning...it looked like things were going to start but then I received a kernel panic:

kext[47]: root filesystem is readonly;skipping kernel link data generation

kext[47]: notice - UUID of on-disk kernel (/mach_kernel) does not match running kernel

The Retail DVD I have is either 10.5.0 or 10.5.1.

It seems to me I have a kernel conflict between the slimbuild version which I think is 10.5.6 if I read the post right and my retail DVD. I have a copy of the DVD on a USB drive and looked in the package to see if I could pull out the mach_kernel.

Does anyone know how I could address this issue?

Thanks much in advance!

Monday i'll try the tutorial with a biosupdate AND original retail dvd... if this is not working... maybe i'll give it a try with the oldschool Kalyway 10.5.2 :) , this boots on the fly. But i'll need to update the voodoo kernel manually and update to 10.5.6 :(

I'll post my results...

I've a question...

How about XxX 10.5.6. with ppf1? any results?

Monday i'll try the tutorial with a biosupdate AND original retail dvd... if this is not working... maybe i'll give it a try with the oldschool Kalyway 10.5.2 :) , this boots on the fly. But i'll need to update the voodoo kernel manually and update to 10.5.6 :wacko:

I'll post my results...

I've a question...

How about XxX 10.5.6. with ppf1? any results?

hokkie, scott_donald: I don't think you can use iDeneb, this guide is specific for RETAIL. The only thing that you can apply for sure are the bios settings, and some of the kext may be useful to you while some others may be already integrated in iDeneb. With one core enabled you can install iDeneb without any problem for sure, but then you have to find your way to enable 4 cores (it's probably a similar way, but not the exact same...). iDeneb doesn't even need EFI boot partition or boot-132, so i really wouldn't follow this guide. Just keep it as a reference!

The "still waiting for root device" means that you put the wrong rd=diskXsY. or, that you are using the wrong sata kext, and that could be the case if you are installing iDeneb following this guide. just a thought...

heistsj: that's not a kernel panic :( it's a normal warning that we get since we tell the system to run the kernel in the EFI partition, but then we boot from the system partition. the booting process normally gets past that point. please post a screenshot.

hokkie, scott_donald: I don't think you can use iDeneb, this guide is specific for RETAIL.

Hi thnx for the reply, i'll test with a retail dvd from my brother (he has one). How about XxX 10.5.6 (it's similar with iDeneb/Kalyway and so on)

hokkie, scott_donald: I don't think you can use iDeneb, this guide is specific for RETAIL. The only thing that you can apply for sure are the bios settings, and some of the kext may be useful to you while some others may be already integrated in iDeneb. With one core enabled you can install iDeneb without any problem for sure, but then you have to find your way to enable 4 cores (it's probably a similar way, but not the exact same...). iDeneb doesn't even need EFI boot partition or boot-132, so i really wouldn't follow this guide. Just keep it as a reference!

The "still waiting for root device" means that you put the wrong rd=diskXsY. or, that you are using the wrong sata kext, and that could be the case if you are installing iDeneb following this guide. just a thought...

heistsj: that's not a kernel panic ;) it's a normal warning that we get since we tell the system to run the kernel in the EFI partition, but then we boot from the system partition. the booting process normally gets past that point. please post a screenshot.

Thanks M J...I'll let it go longer...but I'm not running with an EFI partition yet. I'm starting from the slimboot on DVD and then switching DVDs. Unless I'm misunderstanding?

Also, I'm running all SATA now - hdd and dvd drive.

I don't know how you reply so fast but I really appreciate all of the help...I'm trying Kalyway 10.5.2 on a parallel path to a separate IDE drive...no success there yet either...just keeps hanging during the MAC OS install...with about 13 minutes to go.

sorry i am following your guide... but doing it slowly... and incremental...

ye... well after a few days of mucking around... i started from scratch...

right now i have...

used 132 boot disc

installed retail 10.5.4

working wireless

updated to 10.5.6

this only boots off disc... and only in safe mode due to graphics card...

so in priority i have left

graphics

cores

sound

lan

then getting to boot without disk - think this is where i am going majorly wrong and screwed things up in the past...

i am having a break for a few days but think have graphics sortied but will prob try tomorrow...

Hello...

Successfull install in P6T WS Professional (for your records). Some minor glitches.

-- First install, works ok. But when I imported the user from previous computer with the migration assistant, the hard disk become corrupted, and no repair was possible. Strange...

-- New install, import right from installer now, and all works OK.

-- Some problems: Sleep does not resume graphics (black screen). I will try with the BIOS settings. Network does not respond sometimes after boot. If I remove conexion, and put it again in place, works again.

Manu1oo1

I forgot a question... This mainboard has a SAS controller and PCI-X slots. I have two SAS disks. But Leo not recognice either the integrated SAS, nor the Adaptec PCI-X (48300) that I've tried.

¿No way for this?

Thanks.

Manuelsan

Successfull install in P6T WS Professional (for your records). Some minor glitches.

Hi,

This morning i've tested and reading all possible topics, without result. I can't even boot an original retail dvd :)

Kalyway 10.5.2 will boot and install, but without all cores (tried de DSDT patch, now no boot at all)

iDeneb v1.3 no boot

XxX 10.5.6 no boot

132 boot -- OK --> retail DVD with de rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=diskXsY (tried different numbers) --> NO BOOT :(

I've:

P6T Deluxe

Core i7

3 GB Ram

Sata2 disk

Sata DVD drive (LG)

GPU: GTX260

Bios version 1003

Is there possible way to get it to work??? Tips???

Read carefully the first 4 pages of this thread. Probably, you are wrong with the F8, ESC, switch CD sequence. :(

Anyway, do not try anything else EFI/Boot-132. iDeneb and related DOES NOT WORK.

Update to my last post: You must specify S3 suspend mode in BIOS. Auto mode does not work, but S3 is operative. :)

Manu1oo1

Hi,

This morning i've tested and reading all possible topics, without result. I can't even boot an original retail dvd :unsure:

Kalyway 10.5.2 will boot and install, but without all cores (tried de DSDT patch, now no boot at all)

iDeneb v1.3 no boot

XxX 10.5.6 no boot

132 boot -- OK --> retail DVD with de rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=diskXsY (tried different numbers) --> NO BOOT :)

I've:

P6T Deluxe

Core i7

3 GB Ram

Sata2 disk

Sata DVD drive (LG)

Bios version 1003

Hokkie,

Here are a few tips: Try any of those discs with just the following: Make sure your bios settings match what is on the first post of this thread, then boot with any of those discs and press F8 then just type: busratio=20 -v -f .....not any of the other stuff. It should work. If not it could be your CD/DVD drive???.. maybe? Oh and make sure your discs are burned at slow speeds so there is no problems with he discs themselves.

R.M.

Hi,

This morning i've tested and reading all possible topics, without result. I can't even boot an original retail dvd :unsure:

iDeneb v1.3 no boot

XxX 10.5.6 no boot

132 boot -- OK --> retail DVD with de rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=diskXsY (tried different numbers) --> NO BOOT :)

I've:

P6T Deluxe

Core i7

3 GB Ram

Sata2 disk

Sata DVD drive (LG)

Bios version 1003

well i know how you feel... the retail way is the way to go...

i have a fresh 10.5.6 and cannot for the life of me get my 9600gt to work at all... and it supposedly works with just an efi string... bleh my ass... spent 5 hours today trying to get it to work...

Thanks M J...I'll let it go longer...but I'm not running with an EFI partition yet. I'm starting from the slimboot on DVD and then switching DVDs. Unless I'm misunderstanding?

Also, I'm running all SATA now - hdd and dvd drive.

I don't know how you reply so fast but I really appreciate all of the help...I'm trying Kalyway 10.5.2 on a parallel path to a separate IDE drive...no success there yet either...just keeps hanging during the MAC OS install...with about 13 minutes to go.

M J, Here is the screen shot as requested. it is a kernel panic that I just cannot get past no matter how long I wait.

post-358079-1233611715_thumb.jpg

graphic problem :) you are loading a kext not compatible with your video card, and it goes into kernel panic.

first, try booting in safe mode (add -x at the darwin prompt), and see if it boots. as i understand you still haven't been able to boot into the installation right? this should get you running with basic graphic.

after you manage to install, you have to find the right way to configure your card (might be a kext to add to the EFI partition, or a EFi string to put in the boot.plist file...)

graphic problem :) you are loading a kext not compatible with your video card, and it goes into kernel panic.

first, try booting in safe mode (add -x at the darwin prompt), and see if it boots. as i understand you still haven't been able to boot into the installation right? this should get you running with basic graphic.

after you manage to install, you have to find the right way to configure your card (might be a kext to add to the EFI partition, or a EFi string to put in the boot.plist file...)

mj just for interests sake... wat methid did you use to get your graphics working... i am struggling here...

@MJ - Thank you for all of the work you have done on this topic. After a break, I finally got up and running. :P

Just a few issues remain:

USB - still not working. Is there a fix?

RAID :censored2: - I have 3 HD in my system; 2@Raid 0 for Vista and 1 for OSX. I am only using the controller on the motherboard. When I have the BIOS in RAID (not AHCI) I can see both OSes from the bootloader, but I can only boot to Vista successfully. Booting to OSX get me "waiting for root device" loop. I suspect that this is because OSX doesn't know what to do with the RAID controller. When I have the BIOS in AHCI mode, then I have no problem getting into OSX, but Vista is obviously not bootable (also not an option from the bootloader).

Do I need a kext or something to get this working? I am open for any suggestions.

Thank you-

JD

Read carefully the first 4 pages of this thread. Probably, you are wrong with the F8, ESC, switch CD sequence. :thumbsup_anim:

Anyway, do not try anything else EFI/Boot-132. iDeneb and related DOES NOT WORK.

Update to my last post: You must specify S3 suspend mode in BIOS. Auto mode does not work, but S3 is operative. :thumbsup_anim:

Manu1oo1

Hi,

Thnx that's the best tip I got so far (S3 was probely the issue), but... always a but :thumbsup_anim:

I can boot all the different osx's, but not the retail, it just hangs on different times. I know that it's in the guide, but I waited several times more than 45 min and longer!

The second problem is witch kernel must i choose in different osx's? 9.5.0, but with a kernel panic -- 9.2.0 very slow booting with hangs or kernel panics (even tried -x -v -f )

@johnathandoe:

USB: should work with voodoo+10.5.6... what is the problem exactly?

RAID: no way, i'm sorry. motherboard raid is still software raid, which requires a driver. and of course the driver does not exist for mac. i don't think there is a fix for your prblem...

@hokkie: did you install the retail? where do you get stuck? post us a scrennshot. as for the kernel, choose the newer non-vanilla option. 9.5.0 vanilla will not work for sure.

did others have issues with Suspend Mode? mine is set to [AUTO] and works perfectly, but for some it has to be set to S3? tell me so i can update the guide!

Hi guys, I've been following this thread and preparing to take a dive into OSX86. Here's my Hardware.

Core i7 920

Asus P6T Delux

OCZ 3x2GB Ram

Evga gtx 260

Question

1) Do I need to buy a new video because it's not supported? If so, which one do you guys recommend thats comparable in terms of performance ?

2) Would my logitech Di novo Edge keyboard / mouse still work under OSX86?

Thanks a million!

Hi guys, I've been following this thread and preparing to take a dive into OSX86. Here's my Hardware.

Core i7 920

Asus P6T Delux

OCZ 3x2GB Ram

Evga gtx 260

Question

1) Do I need to buy a new video because it's not supported? If so, which one do you guys recommend thats comparable in terms of performance ?

2) Would my logitech Di novo Edge keyboard / mouse still work under OSX86?

Thanks a million!

as far as video card i have no idea... but for the keyboard... from what i have got working - retail 10.5.6 without any graphics drivers the keyboard worked fine but the built in trackpad didnt... but again i never installed the mac drivers... which i assume would solve this...

as far as video card i have no idea... but for the keyboard... from what i have got working - retail 10.5.6 without any graphics drivers the keyboard worked fine but the built in trackpad didnt... but again i never installed the mac drivers... which i assume would solve this...

Thanks for the reply. I seems like others on this thread whom have the GTX 260 have gotten it to work so I was curious. I might sell my GTX 260 and get one thats compatiable with OSX86.

@johnathandoe:

USB: should work with voodoo+10.5.6... what is the problem exactly?

RAID: no way, i'm sorry. motherboard raid is still software raid, which requires a driver. and of course the driver does not exist for mac. i don't think there is a fix for your prblem...

@hokkie: did you install the retail? where do you get stuck? post us a scrennshot. as for the kernel, choose the newer non-vanilla option. 9.5.0 vanilla will not work for sure.

did others have issues with Suspend Mode? mine is set to [AUTO] and works perfectly, but for some it has to be set to S3? tell me so i can update the guide!

@MJ:

My apple keyboard and mouse (both USB) work just fine. But, if I plug in a flash drive or anything else, nothing shows up in OSX. I am running 10.5.6 w/voodoo. One thought I had, when I did the install, was I supposed to copy the three kext (AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext, and System.kext) from the EFI_pack_v2/_MACOSX/EFI_pack/Extensions/ directory in the EFI_pack_v2 file? If so, I probably missed it during the install. When I copied stuff into the EFI partition, I did it from EFI_pack_v2/EFI_pack/Extensions/ , the one that also had the mach_kernel.voodoo and com.apple.Boot.plist in it. If I screwed up, please let me know where to copy these files to. I'm just thinking that this could be the root of my problem.

mmm... i think i screwed something up making the EFI_pack_v2... try substituting the provided system.kext with the one shipped with voodoo kernel and see if that fixes it.