[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

I would like to thank everyone for there support and effort, without you none of this would be possible.

My specs.

--------------------------

Asus P6T

Intel i7 920

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 3GB

250GB SATA HD (Other SATA HD are disconnected)

DVD writer on IDE. Set on master. Its the only DVD connected. (I discconected the slave DVD-Rom)

250GB

---------------------------

I recently purchased an ASUS P6T (Not the deluxe version). I've ran into the "check sum error, sorry.." problem. I quickly found the solution to that problem by downloading the generic 132 and replace the files from the slimbuild iso.

Heres what I did so far and my problem.

I made all of the changed in the bios. Followed it completely and even triple checked it.

1.) I am able to boot the modified boot132.

2.) Boot132 Disc booted fine. Now in darwin

3.) I pressed esc. Its asking me to enter the two-digit hexdecimal boot device. Shows [FF]

4.) I inserted my Retail Leopard DVD.

5.) Waited for the DVD/cd writer to finishing reading the disc.

6.) Press FF, because thats whats in the bracket, then I hit enter.

7.)The retail leopard dvd spins

8.)Darwin asks me to press any ket to start cd-rom, or press f8 to enter start up options

9.)I press F8. I see hd(127,1) Mac OS X Install DVD and boot:_

10.) I typed in "rd(0,1)/mach-kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3" then i press enter

At this point the dvd spins.

Then it asks me to press any key to start cd-rom, or press f8 to enter start up options.

Its like an infinite loop from step 10 to step 8. <-- This is where i get stuck

Things I've also tried n step 10:

busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3 <--- I get the same result as above loops step 10 to 8

busratio=20 -v -f <---------------I get the same result as above loops step 10 to 8

left it blank <--------------------Same thing

Can someone help me? I know This guide for the the deluxe version. But i figure this guide will be suitable. Is it not possible the just the Asus P6T? I would appriciate any help. Thanks in advance.

I am using the P6T6 Workstation Revolution w/specs:

i7 920 @4Ghz

12GB Corsair Dominator

2 - Fujitsu 147GB 15K SAS Drives - Raid 0

4 - 1TB SATA IIDrives

1 - ATI 4870x2

1 - Nvidia 9800GT

Ive unplugged all but one 1TB drive and the DVDRW. I get to the F8 prompt and swap for retail disk. Enter the rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo etc etc etc line and get a kernel panic referencing the mach kernel... Any ideas?

I'll try pulling the 4870x2 when I get home and try again, but has anyone got this installed on the board above? chipset & configs should be pretty much identical with the exception of the sas controller.

I get to step C3 and type in the rd(0,1).................. command and hit enter but nothing happens.

The install countdown just resets and starts to countdown again.

I have tried 0s3 1s3 2s3 but nothing happens when I hit enter.

I have 1 HD and 1 DVD drive installed.

BTW I am running a Rampage II extreme with a i7 920

Thanks

Can anybody try with a modified iso, taking away the seatbelt.kext and the appleSMBIOSEFI.kext, and let us know if it worked? The first one is taken from the 10.5.5, and it is needed to boot the 10.5.6 upgrade, while the second one is just for aesthetics, for showing up (fake) system information in the System Profiler. So no need for them at the installation, plus they could be causing some interference.

Hey M J,

I was wondering, reading back through the whole of the thread... I tried making my own iso as well, and encountered the feared 'beachball-bug'... So, indeed - removing those two kexts helps, but why? Do you - or anyone here for that matter - know what difference they make exactly? I now have a (partially) working install using a modified boot disc, but I'd like to learn from this as well, and am very curious about the reason for the bug...

Also, I posted this problem in another thread already, but maybe someone here has encountered it as well: I can't seem to run the DSDT patcher. Double clicking doesn't work, running it from the terminal give a permission denied error (yes, I used the dot-slash in front); and so I can't patch... And is it actually really needed to run the 10.5.6 patch?

Anyway, I'm anxious to learn :thumbsup_anim:

Many greetings!

I get to step C3 and type in the rd(0,1).................. command and hit enter but nothing happens.

The install countdown just resets and starts to countdown again.

I have tried 0s3 1s3 2s3 but nothing happens when I hit enter.

I have 1 HD and 1 DVD drive installed.

BTW I am running a Rampage II extreme with a i7 920

Thanks

Hey Jimmy,

Are you using a Retail disc or a copy? In the latter case, you might want to try typing disk[n]s2, for the partition might be at a different place. If you have a working mac install, try using DiskUtil to check which partition of the disc has the actual data on it.

Cheers!

**Update1**

I was able to boot the 132 disc with a custom one i made. I had to add the JMicron kext.

The Boot132 attached in the first post does not for the ASUS P6T (non deluxe model)

I can upload the boot132 if you guys need it.

**Update 2**

Finished the Retail Install last night.

Updated to 10.5.6 no problems

**Update3**

I got to Step E.

After doing step E

-I enabled HT and all cores

-But When I boot, i get the following:

"Attempting to Determine CPU multiplier

Determined CPU: FSB multiplier to be 0

Says 0 but makes no sense... the kernel as shipped by apple will not support this and will cause the machine to reboot immediatly... Press y to continue or crt, alt, del to reboot.

Press y and keep going."

So i press y.

Then i get a stuck while the seatbelt.kext. It just hangs there. I waited like 20 minutes. So I restarted.

-Disabled HT and enabled only 1 core.

After this i am able to boot into Leopard without any poblems, even though it takes a long time.

Any suggestions?

**Update 4**

Just got through it. All cores are enabled. ;). Now I just need sound.

Video is working Full CI/QE on x1300 Device id=7142

Ethernet works out the box.

Working on audio and Video kext after

I am hopeing to get a full Retail install with all the cores, qe/ci, and sound by this weekend.

Hi everybody.

1. For those who have problem with the usb hotplug: as santicity said, it's probably some issue with System.kext. Please make sure that the one that gets loaded is the one in the EFI partition, and not the one in System/Library/Extensions folder. In that case, try to rename System.kext to System.kext_vanilla in System/Library/Extensions, delete extensions.mkext and reboot.

2. It looks like somebody got our sound card to work here, I gave it a try but as you can read at the end of the topic I didn't succeed. So i went back to AppleAzalia for now, but maybe somebody has time to work on it and see if it can be made to work for us as well!

3. Has anybody got the Ethernet port to work following my guide? Or have you all had to modify the device ID in the original AppleYukon2.kext?

I have now some time to spend for our MB, and I'm preparing an update to the guide which should fix once for all Network, USB and Audio issues. I want to test these things before it though, so please help me with the testing ;)

Also, please don't send me private messages, because your problem could be someone else's problem, and this topic is the right place for it.

Hey M J,

I was wondering, reading back through the whole of the thread... I tried making my own iso as well, and encountered the feared 'beachball-bug'... So, indeed - removing those two kexts helps, but why? Do you - or anyone here for that matter - know what difference they make exactly? I now have a (partially) working install using a modified boot disc, but I'd like to learn from this as well, and am very curious about the reason for the bug...

Also, I posted this problem in another thread already, but maybe someone here has encountered it as well: I can't seem to run the DSDT patcher. Double clicking doesn't work, running it from the terminal give a permission denied error (yes, I used the dot-slash in front); and so I can't patch... And is it actually really needed to run the 10.5.6 patch?

Anyway, I'm anxious to learn :)

Many greetings!

Hi Bear, somebody on this forum told me it was necessary to install seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 BEFORE updating to 10.5.6. I did it, and it worked! Since the seatbelt.kext has been taken from version 10.5.5, that could be the cause of the spinning beachball if used to boot a 10.5.4 version or even lower.

As for the DSDT patcher, well, don't really know... Try a chmod a+x dsdt_patcher from terminal to give exec permission to the patcher.

**Update1**

I was able to boot the 132 disc with a custom one i made. I had to add the JMicron kext.

The Boot132 attached in the first post does not for the ASUS P6T (non deluxe model)

I can upload the boot132 if you guys need it.

I'd appreciate it at least. I keep turning blank CDs into coasters that won't boot on the non deluxe. If you get a chance to post what you did with DSDT for it as well, it'd be great... I've got a modified iDeneb (mostly) working on it, but having a rough time switching to retail.

I'd appreciate it at least. I keep turning blank CDs into coasters that won't boot on the non deluxe. If you get a chance to post what you did with DSDT for it as well, it'd be great... I've got a modified iDeneb (mostly) working on it, but having a rough time switching to retail.

Here is the iso i used to boot the retail dvd on my ASUS P6T(base model/non deluxe whatever u wanna call it)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gdgm1zuum4m/ASUS

As for DSDT.. i followed instructions on the first post.

Mj,

I had no problems with the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

I will rename the system.kext and see if it works. Ill keep u posted. Thanks again for everything.

Once i get this working. My system will be at 100% =)

Hi Bear, somebody on this forum told me it was necessary to install seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 BEFORE updating to 10.5.6. I did it, and it worked! Since the seatbelt.kext has been taken from version 10.5.5, that could be the cause of the spinning beachball if used to boot a 10.5.4 version or even lower.

As for the DSDT patcher, well, don't really know... Try a chmod a+x dsdt_patcher from terminal to give exec permission to the patcher.

That actually did it! After giving the exec permission to the patcher, it still spat errors at me; I had full access permissions for myself and admins already, but still had errors - so I just made the folder writeable by anyone, which finally solved the problem. In other words - finally have my DSDT patched ^_^

Weird thing is: I ran the patch many times before on earlier installs (all non-retail), and never had the problem yet.. What it *might* be though: I have to boot in safe mode, otherwise I keep getting a waiting for root device error (firewire I believe).. Might that have been it?

I'll keep working on this install as soon as I've got some more time (tonight/tomorrow :unsure:)

Thanks again for the help!!

(these are the moments I feel a bit more knowledge of *nix systems would be nice...)

I had no problems with the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

yes, but the new kext should enable the microphon line in, which means being able to use skype!

Bear, i suggest you disable every device not strictly needed at least for the installation, you'll be able to troubleshoot better :)

it's something to do with the drive numbering, as soon as I moved that drive to the primary sata port it booted up fine.

This had me stuck for hours.

- 10.5.0 installed fine

- updated to 10.5.6 (I didn't do _anything_ else yet -- no EFI fiddling, nothing)

- reboot failed with "Still waiting for root device".

I was using ports 4 and 5 (the side-mounted port interfere with my cable routing -- hate em). As soon as I switched to ports 1 and 2, 10.5.6 booting was able to continue.

3. Has anybody got the Ethernet port to work following my guide? Or have you all had to modify the device ID in the original AppleYukon2.kext?

It didn't work for me. I updated to 1.5.6 before trying it, and still nothing -- I can only see a Firewire interface under Networks. I'm not sure if I need to back out of that kext installation before trying the other route... do I? And how? ;p

The DSDT patch doesn't seem to have done anything for my installation. I ran it exactly as listed on page 1 (copying and pasting all commands except the editor, as I prefer vi). The second pass after editing shows some warnings but no errors, and the cp didn't complain -- but I still have to hit Y to boot, and the boot still pauses for several minutes.

Bear, i suggest you disable every device not strictly needed at least for the installation, you'll be able to troubleshoot better ;)

I think I'm going to lose it... I'm going crazy over Still Waiting for Root Device Errors, it will give me nightmares...

Okay, here's the deal: I use the exact same strings everytime I boot, but 9 out of 10 times, the system will hang on a waiting message.. Why? I haven't changed anything to my system, just reset it, so why won't you work?!? *shouts at his comp case, breaking down*

I am at my wits end... Rebooting my system 20 times just to get into OS X - if I get that far at all - is getting too much for me.. :(

I tried turning off everything I don't need (ethernet, firewire, sound), but it doesn't matter.

Starting without the safeboot string (-x) seems entirely out of the question...

Booting from boot-132 disc or local install doesn't change... It almost seems a physical problem in the system... The longer it's on, the more I get the error?

Any help would be welcome, as would any advice - even "stop trying"... :( :( (which I think I will, for now...)

edit: without changing *anything* from a bootable system: haven't been able to boot into the system for the past 45 minutes. I'm stopping now, going to get some shuteye... I don't expect anyone being able to solve this out of the blue, but I keep wishing...

edit: Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention at what point this happens: all of them. From after installing retail (10.5.0) up to after the update to 10.5.6, with increasing frequency. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to boot into 10.5.6 at all as of yet..

Is this normal output for the DSDT patcher?

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 6 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 73 Optimizations

Compiling done, if it worked, you have now a patched DSDT in dsdt.aml
If the compiling went wrong, you could force to build it with ./DSDT\ Patcher -f (try this DSDT at your own risk)

rm: dsdt.dat: No such file or directory
mkdir: ./Debug: File exists
mv: ./dsdt.dsl: No such file or directory
tar: ./Debug/ciparis.tar: File shrank by 135699 bytes; padding with zeros
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Should that tar file message be in there? It isn't mentioned in the guide... I've tried this both ways, ignoring it and not ignoring it, and no matter what I do, I still have to hit "y" when booting, and frequently there is a several minute delay just before the OS loads. The messages sitting on the screen while it waits are:

IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols

InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces. could not update platform UUID

ciparis: i wouldn't worry about those errors, ciparis.tar does't look like a necessary file. as for the delay, did you enable 4 cores + HT? that should do it, or maybe you have to install the voodoo kernel... i don't remember exactly at what point it happened, just keep going with the installation!

bear: the only thing i can think of, is to take a break, and then start a fresh installation... you know computers, sometimes this kind of things solves every problem automagically.

bear: the only thing i can think of, is to take a break, and then start a fresh installation... you know computers, sometimes this kind of things solves every problem automagically.

Hey MJ,

Heh, I figure that might be a good idea :P

I tried again this morning (turned off all onboard extra's; then tried booting from cd and hd both, with and without -x and -legacy..) but to no avail. I'll just let it slip for now, or at least - the retail install..

Right now, I'd just want 10.5.6 to work, so I can install my graph card (4870), as I'd like to do some video editing - which is the main reason I bought this rig in the first place, because my old iBook just can't take it anymore :P

Had problems with *.6 installs with distro's as well... Maybe I should try flashing my bios as well.

Anyway, for now, I'll just let it go for a few days, I guess..

Thanks for all your help and patience in any case :P

By the way, one more question - have you understood how the install of PC_EFI v9 works? I've tried using that as well, but haven't managed much as of yet.. (tried that to install snow kitten :P)

By the way, one more question - have you understood how the install of PC_EFI v9 works? I've tried using that as well, but haven't managed much as of yet.. (tried that to install snow kitten :( )

I have a working system and I'm not gonna touch it for a loooooong while! I haven't looked into any other solution!

jimmy: the chmod a+x is needed only if the DSDT patcher doesn't run at all giving you some permission error. from terminal type this:

chmod -R a+xw DSDT_patcher_folder

I have a P6T (non-deluxe) mobo and am trying to follow this guide. I'd like to get it working in vmware though. The steps I'm taking are as follows...

1) Use DaemonTools to mount boot 132.

2) Start up vmware

3) Hit F8 when prompted

4) Use DaemonTools to switch the mounted iso to the retail dvd

5) Hit [Esc] in vmware

6) This brings up a boot device hex selection.

-----I leave it at the default (9F) = "EBIOS read error: Device Timeout, Block 0 Sectors: 64". After about 20 of these messages come up, I get the boot prompt again. Putting in the next step (busratio -v etc), brings me back to the device selection.

-----Using anything else (80,81,AF are ones I remember trying) don't give the EBIOS error but does result in the boot > hex prompt loop.

Could anyone offer any assistance please? I don't even know if vmware will work.

So I guess that means this is not the answer for me.

Did anyone else have the problem where the dsdt patcher did not create a .aml file

I followed the process exactly like MJ explains but after I run the patcher for the second time there is no .aml file to copy to the root.

BTW I am running a

Rampage II Extreme with a i7 920 processor

Does anyone else have this config and can send me their .aml file?

Any help would be great!!!!

JN

yes, but the new kext should enable the microphon line in, which means being able to use skype!

Oh nice.

Hot plug seems to work for me from the get-go. Once i did all of the 10.5.6 and software updates. my machine didnt reconized my iphone for some reason. But I re-installed iTunes and its wokring fine now.

I'll try and download the new kext tonight to see if I can get the mic working.

So I guess that means this is not the answer for me.

Did anyone else have the problem where the dsdt patcher did not create a .aml file

I followed the process exactly like MJ explains but after I run the patcher for the second time there is no .aml file to copy to the root.

BTW I am running a

Rampage II Extreme with a i7 920 processor

Does anyone else have this config and can send me their .aml file?

Any help would be great!!!!

JN

pm me your email address. I send it to you once i get home. The only thing u have to do is upload it to ur EFI partition.

Check for the linked guides on the first post.

Well, to be honest, it sounds like you're running the patcher without pointing it to the debug/dsdt.dsl file.. But just to be certain: what exactly do you put into the terminal, and do you get any error(s)?

I have a working system and I'm not gonna touch it for a loooooong while! I haven't looked into any other solution!

Yeah, I can somehow feel what you mean :)

I'll be fighting with a fresh install over the next days, I guess there's no choice if I want it to work properly :P

Just to be certain: which onboard extra's do you have switched on? And what retail version did you use?

Many thanks again :)

AiBear

I'm still getting nowhere with this; I've tried two different BIOS versions (1206 and 1303) and I get stuck in the same place: when doing the EFI setup, update.sh fails to find any kexts, and the only way I can boot is via the CD. Trying to boot from EFI gets stuck with MDNSResponder complaining about a bunch of "can't find user-specified computer name" errors, and loginWindow never starts. Before that there's a configd warning about not being able to set UUID due to no network interfaces.

I'm using the 6.1 version from the EFI thread -- is that what everyone else has used?

I'm just going to start over again, but I'm starting to have little hope this is going to work any better no matter how many times I repeat it or how precisely I follow the guide :/

EFI_pack_v2.zip (2,5 MB)

Are these kext files supposed to be empty? If not, then this zip does not unzip properly for me. I think the directory structure is hosed (looks like it went from Mac -> PC), and the kext bundles are empty if you choose "show package contents". This seems to be causing a failure in kextcache (required step for EFI partition).

kextcache -a i386 -t -m /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/*.kext
kextcache: ??5: couldn't get volume UUID
can't add kernel extension /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext (not a bundle) (run kextcache on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)
can't add kernel extension /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext (not a bundle) (run kextcache on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)
can't add kernel extension /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/System.kext (not a bundle) (run kextcache on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

Are these kext files supposed to be empty? If not, then this zip does not unzip properly for me. I think the directory structure is hosed (looks like it went from Mac -> PC), and the kext bundles are empty if you choose "show package contents". This seems to be causing a failure in kextcache (required step for EFI partition).
They're indeed *not* supposed to be empty. It's weird that they should be, I unpacked em on both mac and pc, without problems. I presume telling you to redownload is obsolete, as you probably tried that many times already.. But it's a fact you'll need them..

On another note, mostly to M J, but to others as well: up to now, I haven't been able to run 10.5.6 at all actually. I got the Waiting bug a lot before the update, but always afterwards. The same actually goed for non-retail installs. All the distro's I tried for direct 10.5.6 had it, independently of flags or kernel used, and after trying to update from iDeneb 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 with iDeneb's own update package, I got it again (10.5.5 working like a charm, as always). Is there something I'm missing, is there an action I must take before being able to run 10.5.6? I somehow fail to see the problem, and slowly just thinking it might be worth it to just wait for the end of the month - if that will help at all, of course..