[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

I actually get past the waiting for root device, which is amazing because it's about the only thing I get past, lol. What I have to put in changes everytime. I have my HDD plugged into the SATA1 and the DVD-RW into SATA2. Sometimes it's rd=disk0s3 or rd=disk1s3 depending on what seems to be random chance...

If you can access your disk utility you can right click on it and use get info to get your uuid for your HDD and DVD-RW then when you boot instead of using rd=disk0s3 you use boot-uuid="YOUR LONG UUID HERE". Unfortunately it takes a lot longer to type in the uuid everytime but it should work.

I actually get past the waiting for root device, which is amazing because it's about the only thing I get past, lol. What I have to put in changes everytime. I have my HDD plugged into the SATA1 and the DVD-RW into SATA2. Sometimes it's rd=disk0s3 or rd=disk1s3 depending on what seems to be random chance...

That's why we recommend using the UUID of the device you want to boot from - it'll never change unless you reinitialize it.

It's easier to use the boot.plist to store this information. Find your UUID of your boot device (Disk Utility - get info) and put in as your kernel flag (along with "-v busratio=20" etc.), "boot-uuid=YOUR-UUID-NUMBER-HERE" without the quotes.

The diskXsX Identifiers are tagged as each disk is ready at boot time, so you cannot predict which will be tagged first, second, etc. It's a spin-up and scan issue.

regards,

MAJ

EDIT: LOL! I just realized inspired7 beat me to this topic.

I'm still stuck with a frozen installer/ beach ball... would using a UUID instead of that rd=diskXsX really fix that? I'm using a 10.5.6 retail DVD

No.

If you manage to get the installer started and it hangs, then the issue is elsewhere. Sounds like a kext incompatibility or the installer is not able to access some drives due to a incorrect BIOS setup.

The boot-via-boot-132-then-run-installer method is fraught with much difficulty. This is why we always recommend installing via distro first to build a working system. Then, from there, create a boot-132 or boot from EFI setup.

regards,

MAJ

I'm still stuck with a frozen installer/ beach ball... would using a UUID instead of that rd=diskXsX really fix that? I'm using a 10.5.6 retail DVD

I had this problem with the Retail 10.5.6 disk

no problem with an earlier disk tho.....hmmm

My disk that worked is a backup 10.5.0 disk Others need Retail disks??

Anyone else get this working with a Retail 10.5.6 disk??

So I'm still stuck with no Sound tried different methods and drivers. Since I'm using the Asus P6T *none deluxe edition* I need to find a working Realtek ALC1200. Does anyone have any suggestion?? In addition I am also getting the "AppleHDAcontroller has corrupted the registry" error when shutting down or restarting...

Chenda, I tried using the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext you posted, but I can't get the sound to work. I have the same board as you. Is there a specific way I should install it or do I have to remove some other kext? any input or suggestion will be appreciated...

when you copy the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext into your extensions folder. Don't forget to repair the permissions.

open terminal and type in the following

sudo -s

<your password>

cd System/Library/Extensions

chown root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

chmod 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

**OR**

Download osx86tools. http://osx86tools.googlecode.com/files/OSX...ols_1.0.150.zip

and use that gui to install the kext. it will also set permissions for you.

No.

If you manage to get the installer started and it hangs, then the issue is elsewhere. Sounds like a kext incompatibility or the installer is not able to access some drives due to a incorrect BIOS setup.

The boot-via-boot-132-then-run-installer method is fraught with much difficulty. This is why we always recommend installing via distro first to build a working system. Then, from there, create a boot-132 or boot from EFI setup.

regards,

MAJ

I'm confused; are you saying we should try to installed one of the hacked distro versions first, then try to install the retail 10.5.6?

'Still waiting for root device'

Hi Guys,

I've tried this Bootloader 132 mothed over and over without joy, am using a Original Retail disc 10.5 but not mater which way I configure sata ports with the Hd & DVD I always land back at 'Still waiting for root device'

If my vast amounts of reading have leed me to understand this problem is within the bootload 132 with regards to the sata.kext, I've also tried a bootlaoder with only 1 .kext as per Frankenst1..... but again 'Still waiting for root device'

I really really need help with alternative options as it kills me that loads of you guys are running the same hardware as a Hackintosh.....

i7 920 @ stock

asus P6T Deluxe (Bios 1403)

6 gig Corsair 13333

1 x LG DVD Sata

1 x HD Cavlar 1TB

1 x GTX 260

Many Thanks In Advance

Paul

'Still waiting for root device'

Hi Guys,

I've tried this Bootloader 132 mothed over and over without joy, am using a Original Retail disc 10.5 but not mater which way I configure sata ports with the Hd & DVD I always land back at 'Still waiting for root device'

If my vast amounts of reading have leed me to understand this problem is within the bootload 132 with regards to the sata.kext, I've also tried a bootlaoder with only 1 .kext as per Frankenst1..... but again 'Still waiting for root device'

I really really need help with alternative options as it kills me that loads of you guys are running the same hardware as a Hackintosh.....

i7 920 @ stock

asus P6T Deluxe (Bios 1403)

6 gig Corsair 13333

1 x LG DVD Sata

1 x HD Cavlar 1TB

1 x GTX 260

Many Thanks In Advance

Paul

Hey Paul, I have a very similar setup:

i7 920, p6t Deluxe but mine is v2

6 gig OCZ

1 LG DVD sata

1 WD Caviar green 1TB

1 GTS 250

I've been getting the same error (waiting on root) with the slimbuild bootloader no matter which installation i try (have tried retail 10.5.6 and ideneb 10.5.5) and at the same place. I'm beginning to suspect the same conclusion you have. Anyone have any idea's what else we should try?

EDIT: the command I'm using is

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=diskXsY

(Various values of X and Y)

Can anyone elaborate what 'rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo' means during the install? I have a vague idea but if anyone knows in detail or where i could find that info that would be helpful.

Also, if the wrong X and Y are given... will the installation still start but result in the 'waiting on root' error?

I'm confused; are you saying we should try to installed one of the hacked distro versions first, then try to install the retail 10.5.6?

It has a greater margin of success.

With the new Mac Pro out and using the new Nehalem CPU will this mean we can run a vanilla kernel?

Yep.

Hey Paul, I have a very similar setup:

i7 920, p6t Deluxe but mine is v2

6 gig OCZ

1 LG DVD sata

1 WD Caviar green 1TB

1 GTS 250

I've been getting the same error (waiting on root) with the slimbuild bootloader no matter which installation i try (have tried retail 10.5.6 and ideneb 10.5.5) and at the same place. I'm beginning to suspect the same conclusion you have. Anyone have any idea's what else we should try?

EDIT: the command I'm using is

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=diskXsY

(Various values of X and Y)

Can anyone elaborate what 'rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo' means during the install? I have a vague idea but if anyone knows in detail or where i could find that info that would be helpful.

Also, if the wrong X and Y are given... will the installation still start but result in the 'waiting on root' error?

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo describes where the kernel is located and its name. In this case it is located on disk 0, partition 1 (EFI), on the root directory.

rd=diskXsY describes which disk is the boot volume. This example is discribed as disk X (should be the same as the kernel disk #), partition Y (would be some number above 1). The diskutil list command in Terminal would reveal what contains the OS X partition. Alternatively, one could use the boot-uuid=SOME-32-CHARACTER-UUID-NUMBER to describe the boot volume. This is more predictable, as this ID doesn't change when a drive is added or removed from the system, as is the case with diskXsY.

EDIT: If the wrong values are given for diskXsY, then the kernel will load all the kexts in the EFI partition and stall, as it cannot proceed further without a valid Mac OS X volume with system files. The telltale sign here is seeing the boot log displaying info regarding the EFI installed kexts, but not able to find or resolve dependencies for the kexts that are installed on the main partition in S/L/E.

regards,

MAJ

when you copy the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext into your extensions folder. Don't forget to repair the permissions.

open terminal and type in the following

sudo -s

<your password>

cd System/Library/Extensions

chown root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

chmod 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

**OR**

Download osx86tools. http://osx86tools.googlecode.com/files/OSX...ols_1.0.150.zip

and use that gui to install the kext. it will also set permissions for you.

This is the exact way I installed the Kext, I even used Kext Helper B7, but same result. I wonder if it's conflicting with some other kext, but I might just re do my install and see if that helps...

It has a greater margin of success.

Yep.

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo describes where the kernel is located and its name. In this case it is located on disk 0, partition 1 (EFI), on the root directory.

rd=diskXsY describes which disk is the boot volume. This example is discribed as disk X (should be the same as the kernel disk #), partition Y (would be some number above 1). The diskutil list command in Terminal would reveal what contains the OS X partition. Alternatively, one could use the boot-uuid=SOME-32-CHARACTER-UUID-NUMBER to describe the boot volume. This is more predictable, as this ID doesn't change when a drive is added or removed from the system, as is the case with diskXsY.

Thanks for the reply; a couple follow up questions.

How can/do I load osx terminal (and access the diskutil) if I can't get OSX to install? Is there a way to create a boot disk with diskutil? (this is a new machine that I just put together and isn't even formatted yet... i was under the impression that this would occur during installation, please tell me if I've been mis-informed.)

if rd(0,1) describes where the kernel is located during the install, should that not mean that it would be located on the DVD?

I'm thinking (by your explanation)

EDIT: If the wrong values are given for diskXsY, then the kernel will load all the kexts in the EFI partition and stall, as it cannot proceed further without a valid Mac OS X volume with system files. The telltale sign here is seeing the boot log displaying info regarding the EFI installed kexts, but not able to find or resolve dependencies for the kexts that are installed on the main partition in S/L/E.

that this is the case because of where my install keeps hanging (for both retail and ideneb). I get past the cpu multiplier error message by pressing 'y' and then the screen res changes and the configuration starts and stalls after failing to initialize the firewire security (here is a similar screen shot to where my stall is happening, i'm on the road right now and will post a true screenie when i get back home.)

sorry if these seem obvious or if i'm way off. I really do appriciate all the help and hope this helps others who've had similiar problems.

Progress!! Finally

H Guys,

Finally made it to the Apple Wallpaper just before it starts installing, its been hanging for around 45mins without moving..... we can still move the mouse and the ball is spining but no further movement......

The progress has come about due to a schoolboy error...... I entered my line just as the post advises with deviation

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk[1]s3

Now using

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3 BINGO BANGO!!

Now I'm waiting with a spining ball with the sky night awaiting further instruction.....

PS...... DVD sata1 - HD Sata2

Using these instructions I am all up and running, I have a problem with VMWare though which I think is linked to the voodoo kernel being called mach_kernel.voodoo

If I change the kernel name to mach_kernel and update the com.apple.Boot.plist to reflect the change will that work without causing other problems.

Also anyone got an idea on how and where can we get the new vanilla kernel from the latest Nehalem Mac Pro so we can try it out on these puppies :-)

Thanks for the reply; a couple follow up questions.

How can/do I load osx terminal (and access the diskutil) if I can't get OSX to install? Is there a way to create a boot disk with diskutil? (this is a new machine that I just put together and isn't even formatted yet... i was under the impression that this would occur during installation, please tell me if I've been mis-informed.)

if rd(0,1) describes where the kernel is located during the install, should that not mean that it would be located on the DVD?

No, because you can't run the vanilla kernel on the DVD without a instant reboot or KP (if it progresses that far). The boot-132 method replaces the vanilla kernel with a hacked one (generally) and a few modified kexts.

In order to boot a DVD, the BIOS has to direct attention to a hacked kernel (rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo) and supporting kexts located elsewhere first. After they are loaded, then control can be turned over to the on-DVD system files (located at rd=diskXsY or boot-uuid=UUIDNUMBER).

I'm thinking (by your explanation)

that this is the case because of where my install keeps hanging (for both retail and ideneb). I get past the cpu multiplier error message by pressing 'y' and then the screen res changes and the configuration starts and stalls after failing to initialize the firewire security (here is a similar screen shot to where my stall is happening, i'm on the road right now and will post a true screenie when i get back home.)

sorry if these seem obvious or if i'm way off. I really do appriciate all the help and hope this helps others who've had similiar problems.

I'm sure the issues have started way before the Firewire security message. That message is common and only relates to IP over Firewire or Firewire networking.

It just looks like the patched kexts are loading, but the BIOS is not handing control over to the right partition (DVD) afterward. Just a guess.

Using these instructions I am all up and running, I have a problem with VMWare though which I think is linked to the voodoo kernel being called mach_kernel.voodoo

If I change the kernel name to mach_kernel and update the com.apple.Boot.plist to reflect the change will that work without causing other problems.

Also anyone got an idea on how and where can we get the new vanilla kernel from the latest Nehalem Mac Pro so we can try it out on these puppies :-)

Yes, you should be able to just rename the kernel to "mach_kernel" without the quotes. No problem. That is the common spelling. It has the voodoo extension to keep it from being overwritten by any software updates that contain kernel updates.

No word on the anticipated new kernel. Can't wait.

regards,

MAJ

No, because you can't run the vanilla kernel on the DVD without a instant reboot or KP (if it progresses that far). The boot-132 method replaces the vanilla kernel with a hacked one (generally) and a few modified kexts.

In order to boot a DVD, the BIOS has to direct attention to a hacked kernel (rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo) and supporting kexts located elsewhere first. After they are loaded, then control can be turned over to the on-DVD system files (located at rd=diskXsY or boot-uuid=UUIDNUMBER).

so is there a method to find the UUID before a new installation or can you only find it once you've installed a version of OSX?

I'm sure the issues have started way before the Firewire security message. That message is common and only relates to IP over Firewire or Firewire networking.

It just looks like the patched kexts are loading, but the BIOS is not handing control over to the right partition (DVD) afterward. Just a guess.

so, assuming that the answer to my first question is:

there is no way to find the UUID without having a previous version of OSX installed on my machine; and also assuming that I only have 2 drives (an HDD and a DVD, both SATA), are my possible choices for X of diskXsY 0 and 1 or could it be any number at all?

you installed the retail version 10.5.5 correct, and you used Y=3? Could this number be different for a retail version of 10.5.6 (and is there a way to confirm this)?

really trying to dig into this and fully appricaite your answers.

so is there a method to find the UUID before a new installation or can you only find it once you've installed a version of OSX?

there is no way to find the UUID without having a previous version of OSX installed on my machine; and also assuming that I only have 2 drives (an HDD and a DVD, both SATA), are my possible choices for X of diskXsY 0 and 1 or could it be any number at all?

you installed the retail version 10.5.5 correct, and you used Y=3? Could this number be different for a retail version of 10.5.6 (and is there a way to confirm this)?

rd=disk0s1 < should be your HDD (disk0) slice/partition 1 (EFI partition)

rd=disk0s2 < should be your HDD (disk0) slice/partition 2 (OSX partition)

rd=disk1s3 < should be your DVD Drive (disk1) slice/partition 3 (LEOPARD DVD)

so to install I would use

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo < 1st half of line = load voodoo kernel off boot disk

rd=disk1s3 < 2nd half of line = load rest of stuff off of DVD Drive partition 3

Then once installed this will change the rd= part to now look at your hard disk not the DVD to load

so

rd=disk1s3 < DVD partition 3

becomes

rd=disk0s2 < HDD partition 2

the initial boot loader / voodoo kernel loading stays the same until you have loaded your stuff on the EFI partition and made it bootable (by following the intitial instructions posted.

then your com.apple.Boot.plist in the EFI partition file changes once again the sequence of the boot loader

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo

becomes

bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo

think of it this way

(rd = root disk)

(0,1 = disk 0 partition 1) disk numbering starts at 0 and works it's way up "binary numbers"

(0,0 = disk 0 partition 0 ... the boot sector)

(/mach_kernel.voodoo load kernel called mach_kernel.voodoo)

rd=disk0s1 < should be your HDD (disk0) slice/partition 1 (EFI partition)

rd=disk0s2 < should be your HDD (disk0) slice/partition 2 (OSX partition)

rd=disk1s3 < should be your DVD Drive (disk1) slice/partition 3 (LEOPARD DVD)

so to install I would use

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3

Thanks for breaking it down, that actually does help. I have been using this script though (following the steps outlined at the beginning of this thread to the T) and have been getting the "still waiting on root.." error at step C3 and am trying to determine why.

I'm wondering if the 10.5.6 retail DVD is different setup than 10.5.5 and maybe a different slice? Or if perhaps my DVD drive isn't being found when I give rd=disk1s3 even if I only have 1 HDD and 1 DVD attached.

Any other ideas?

I have 6 partitions (3 internal drives and 1 eSATA), so using the diskXsY IDs gets messy because they come online at different times and those disk identifiers are always different and don't describe the same drive. That being the case, I use UUID for the boot plists.

The UUID is generated when you initialize a drive and remains unchanged until you reinitialize it.

You can use Disk Utility/Info on a partition to see this UUID or type in Terminal:

diskutil info /Volumes/YOURDRIVENAME | grep UUID
or
diskutil info /dev/diskXsY | grep UUID

best of wishes,

MAJ

Anyone had any luck with getting sleep to work on their p6t deluxe? I have version 2 of the board and have everything working except sleep now. Also my dvd drive lights up occasionally even with no disc in it. Does anyone know a starting point of how to get sleep to work?

Anyone had any luck with getting sleep to work on their p6t deluxe? I have version 2 of the board and have everything working except sleep now. Also my dvd drive lights up occasionally even with no disc in it. Does anyone know a starting point of how to get sleep to work?

sleep works perfect on mine. "P6T Deluxe OC PALM version"

Did you change the S3 option in the BIOS? to like the original poster suggested ?

Has anyone got all their USB ports working properly?

My 2 ports near the PS/2 keyboard port work .... sort of

And the front ports work .... sort of

Buy sort of, I mean if things are plugged in a boot the OS recognizes them, but not when plugged in after boot time. (Hot swap)

The rest (under network ports) seem to not work at all :-(

As for my network ports, well I have given up on them, I manage to get them working sometimes but not others. So I have disabled them in BIOS and just use a 3COM 905 card I had laying around. This card work every time without fail.

So I have this machine up and running, but not perfectly as yet.

I have Asus EN9400GT working fine with HEX code in boot.plist file Dual Head (2 monitors)

Sound works, tho not quite right as yet. Only "Rear Panel" front (green) speakers work. "Rear Panel" rear (black) output seems deadly silent. Headphone front output works.

Firewire doesn't work on the rear Panel either. Devices seem to be detected in the system profiler, but they don't show up anywhere else.... ie mount as a drive. I haven't tried the front or additional Firewire (red port on motherboard) asyet, as I don't have the correct cable

CPU > All cores work

All memory detected and fine

Still fiddling and searching for answers to get this board sorted properly

Stanza