736 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install Mac OS X Retail Successfully

• Yes
    • No

868 posts in this topic

hi folks,

I tryed to use this one:

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/01/install...8/#comment-1495

Its a short way to use Retail OS X with minimal doing.

My Problem is I am hanging on the Grey Apple Logo without a spinning wheel, (I had that wheel) before Bios update to a Version from this Thread. But it stuck too ...

So I dont have a idea to install it ...

Config:

320GB SATA WD Drive

16x Samsung DVD SATA drive

Core2Duo E7300

ASUS P5Q Pro V1.03

PS2 Keyboard

USB Mouse

somebody can help me ? I think some of you hanging on the grey apple too ...

thx

Boot with -v and then let me know the message in which it is getting struck......

You can also try to boot with -x -F to boot in Safe Mode and install the drivers if it is not installed, some times the OS X hangs if proper driver are not installed........

Hi Robert,

I got the P5Q-EM (first had the P5Q-EM DO, but had CPU-fan problems) I got stuck after trying to install from the RETAIL partition.

Booting from USB doesnt work for me, so tried to boot from the boot-partition. That does work! When selecting RETAIL partition, it tries to load, but then I get the message: "You need to restart your computer, push the power button...etc"

I think the boot-132 files you put on here dont work for the P5Q-EM, but in the replies I read some P5Q-EM owners did get it to work

So what am I doing wrong?..

Thanks for any help,

Dude

I finally found the reason for the standby problem. It is the Realtek 8139. If it is removed standby works. Shutdown still gives Kernel Panic.

Are there other drivers for the LAN or what could we do?

By replacing the driver for the ALC1200 I don't have a kernel panic. But the screen remains black. HDD are off but the system is still on.

I finally resolved the problem of not working shutdown. I actually followed the instructions and put all kexts from boot cd into system extensions folder.

By the way, what are all those kexts. Must we except some problems with stability and reliability? I never found complete info about their functions (all I know, some are for enabling ps2 mouse and keyboars, which I dont have).

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext (that I had before but obviously without effect)

Ok, now I can run Time Machine.

got it !

needed a Modified Bios for P5Q Pro

But now waiting for Beachball and OSX Background ?! Doesnt load futher ?!

Boot with -v and let us know the error message............

I finally resolved the problem of not working shutdown. I actually followed the instructions and put all kexts from boot cd into system extensions folder.

By the way, what are all those kexts. Must we except some problems with stability and reliability? I never found complete info about their functions (all I know, some are for enabling ps2 mouse and keyboars, which I dont have).

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

No need to worry........ Even I did the same and I am having a perfectly stable machine..........

No need to worry........ Even I did the same and I am having a perfectly stable machine..........

I tried Final cut, Color, Toast, DVD player.... and all work. It's actually better then G5 with Panther in the office.

Excuse me, a bit off topic.

Did anybody do modest (20-30%) overclock of cpu on p5q motherboard? How osx reacts on this, I read somewhere that mac os is very picky on overclocking and becomes unstable.

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

I installed these too but I was not able to shutdown/restart. Did you take the files from page 1? I installed them with kext helper.

I replaced OpenHaltRestart.kext on the HDD -> No effect - just black screen

Replaced OpenHaltRestart.kext on Flash ->Panic (so the flash kexts are more important - the HDD is ignored)

Restart works. It just takes 10 seconds when a black screen is visible.

Should I delete initrd.img when the kexts are loaded? Why is it possible that this doesn't work when we have the same hardware. Are you sure that you did not take another fix?

Could you verify that the standby is affected by the RealtekCard?

I installed these too but I was not able to shutdown/restart. Did you take the files from page 1? I installed them with kext helper

I'm booting from cd. First I used generic.iso which differs with that on first page and has a few kexts more or less in initrd.img. But for last days I managed to changed initrd.img. So, I'm using the initrd.img from first page and those kexts I put in system extensions folder.

I replaced OpenHaltRestart.kext on the HDD -> No effect - just black screen

Replaced OpenHaltRestart.kext on Flash ->Panic (so the flash kexts are more important - the HDD is ignored)

My knowledge is very limited. I imagine that initrd.img from boot media is needed only for booting, then the system kexts become active. That would have to confirm somebody else.

Are you sure that you did not take another fix?

I installed graphic drivers, also some programs, numerous times I repaired permissions, I have usb mouse and keyboard... I started with leo 10.5. and then proceed with combo update 10.5.6.

Could you verify that the standby is affected by the RealtekCard?

Sleep is not working, I get scrambled screen with moving mouse. I made experiment and pulled out my network card but I got the same result, sorry.

Quick question, in the 1603 mod bios (Asus P5Q pro) i only see an option for the marvell ide and not sata, so am I suppose to enable this. Also i do enable it it says HD not found. Though I have AHCI enabled. I can boot into Ideneb just fine w/out a flash drive or marvell enabled also, just worried about reatil leopard.

Am I suppose to put the hd sata cable to the SATA_E1 (color orange connector in the motherboard) in order for marvell to detect the HD and also see a marvell sata option instead of ide? I currently have it hooked to the regular red SATA connecters in my mobo.

ALso The Drive Xpert control option in my bios is set to auto (in faded out gray font), it wont let me disable it.

Any help would be appreciated, got no response in another thread

Also Thank you robert for your time and help

Quick question, in the 1603 mod bios (Asus P5Q pro) i only see an option for the marvell ide and not sata, so am I suppose to enable this. Also i do enable it it says HD not found. Though I have AHCI enabled. I can boot into Ideneb just fine w/out a flash drive or marvell enabled also, just worried about reatil leopard.

Am I suppose to put the hd sata cable to the SATA_E1 (color orange connector in the motherboard) in order for marvell to detect the HD and also see a marvell sata option instead of ide? I currently have it hooked to the regular red SATA connecters in my mobo.

ALso The Drive Xpert control option in my bios is set to auto (in faded out gray font), it wont let me disable it.

Any help would be appreciated, got no response in another thread

Also Thank you robert for your time and help

If you are not able to see any HDD after booting into IDeneb then install the Marvell IDE Driver from Post # 1

SATA HDD should be connected to Red Ports

If you have IDE HDD then the Marvell IDE should be enabled

I actually do see a HDD after booting into ideneb. (all my drives are sata btw)

MY NEW FINDINGS (AND PROBLEMS):

1. I restored the Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 9E25 Retail.dmg to the RETAIL IMAGE partition. formatted it first with hfs journaled because i couldnt drag the RETAIL IMAGE partition to the restore destination box. (have marvell ide enabled & DVD drive as first in boot priority)

2. I rebooted pressed f8 when i saw the asus welcome logo. I get a blue box with options to boot with DVD drives, HDD, and the boot flash flash drive i made. I choose flash drive, but then it says "REMOVE DISK OR MEDIA PRESS ANY KEY TO START", then it automatically goes into ideneb, or the retail image partition because i see the apple logo and its loading but soon it enters into a kernal panick i guess

HERE IS THE WEIRD PART:

3. However instead of click f8 during the Asus logo when i boot, if i wait to press f8 EXACTLY when it says "CD - BOOT PRIORITY...no media" (dvd first in boot priority) I see the DARWIN BOOT saying which partition i want to boot into. I see the MACOSX, RETAIL IMAGE, and windows vista partition.

4. SO I choose to boot with -v in darwin boot's RETAIL IMAGE (no usb boot flash drive needed), i see a lot of processes and some of them are:

*package 0 didnt get an HPET

*display: family specific matching fails

*y/start up items": no such file or directory

--------------------------------------------------

I followed your (Robert) instructions, maybe i made a mistake in the process.

question: step 5 number 7 in your instruction I'm suppose to enter the flash drive's letter right? Its J according to computer under vista because I have card readers and the vista NTFS, and the empty FAT32 partition take up the other drive letters and the flash drive ends up being J.

sorry for taking up so much space and time...sigh

Boot with -v and let us know the error message............

I cant ? When I use -V it wents through and when itsready it jumps into "LEO Star" background with a nice beachball. Mouse is function here, but more isnt coming ?!

Which Graphics Card are you using ?

Also try to boot with -x -F

Which Distro are you using IDeneb or iATkos ?

I use Zotac Geforce 8500 GT (I read that it is function)

OS X Leopard 10.5.4 RETAIL

I think you are not booting with the use of Bootable USB Flash Drive.................You should boot with the help of Boot 132 USB Flash Drive.... See Step 5

Someone had the same issue earlier he booted with the USB Flash Drive it worked.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1028262

Hi Robert,

I got the P5Q-EM (first had the P5Q-EM DO, but had CPU-fan problems) I got stuck after trying to install from the RETAIL partition.

Booting from USB doesnt work for me, so tried to boot from the boot-partition. That does work! When selecting RETAIL partition, it tries to load, but then I get the message: "You need to restart your computer, push the power button...etc"

I think the boot-132 files you put on here dont work for the P5Q-EM, but in the replies I read some P5Q-EM owners did get it to work

So what am I doing wrong?..

Thanks for any help,

Dude

Try the Bootable Boot 132 CD instead of USB ....

You need to boot with the use of Boot 132 Files otherwise the installation will not go through..........

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288

OK.. Here is how my install of retail 10.5.6 went...

Hardware:

-P5Q PRO

-C2D E8400

-4 GB kingston RAM

-Asus 8600GT silent 512 MB

-1 TB WD Caviar Black HDD, unplugged the Vista drives, just in case.

-Optiarc 7200A (PATA)

-Sweex cheapo ethernet card (realtek 8169) worked OTB, purchased for the install

-Samsung 2232bw monitor

-Logitech Media keybord 600 (EU) or Access keyboard 600 (US), purchased for the install, works but some function keys don't.

-Logitech MX400 mouse, logitech's driver installed OK

-Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX, furter on that below...

-2 USB flash drives, one for boot 132, other for GParted

Install

-Got iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) and retail .dmg image of 10.5.6 burned on a DVD DL.

-Flashed the BIOS with 1613 Vista SLIC, checked & Vista works fine afterwards.

-Set the bios according to instructions manually.

-First tried Gparted, then partitioned the drive from the installer itself, with GUID, iDeneb creates a FAT32 boot partition with 200MB. The instructions in the first post could be a bit clearer on how to partition with GUID.

-Installed IDeneb, no prob.

-Copied the .dmg to hard drive and restored it.

-Didn't need to integrate OSInstall.mpkg

-Booted from the USB.

-Installed retail, got the end warning

-Rebooted, booted from the USB

-Install info etc.

-OS X 10.5.6!!

-Installed drivers with kext helper:

-ALC1200 (didn't remove previous kext) OK

-Marvell IDE from the first post. OK

-And the other drivers:

-NVKUSH only not Nvidia kext. OK Quartz extreme works in profiler.

-AHCI & orange icons patch. OK

-Logitech mouse driver. OK

And now for the experiences. The first one is a candidate for inclusion into the first post, others are just questions and remarks:

- When you install onto a GUID partition, you cannot setup boot 132 onto the FAT32 partition from Windows, because it will not see it. This may be solved by using SYSLINUX from GParted terminal, but I didn't have the time to play with that yet.

Vista minor inconvinience:

-I installed Vista with IDE set in BIOS and did not yet find the way to switch to AHCI drivers. When I try to install them the system goes BSOD. Is there a way to install them? Maybe from the safe mode?

OS X troubles

-When I try to change the resolution from the system settings the whole screen goes light blue and I must restart?

-The Processor does not report temperatures. I tried iStatPro and the temperature app included with iDeneb. Is there a way to fix this?

-You cannot control the volume on the digital output of the sound card. I use it with a receiver and would like to be able to do that.

-The webcam does not work. Macam sucks in terms of framerate and picture quality, and generally does not work properly in Skype, or at all in Photo booth. The USB microphone also has issues. There is another driver, on the Macam errata, but I haven't tried that yet. Does anybody have a solution to this???

-From all the function keys on the keyboard only a few function. Is there some way to deal with this?

When I solve these issues I can contemplate using the system seriously. :)

You can never control the volume of a digital output, because the sound is compressed and send to the receiver. The receiver decompresses the sound and controls the volume. It same thing on windows.

Robert, you received my pm?

cheers,

Dude

You can never control the volume of a digital output, because the sound is compressed and send to the receiver. The receiver decompresses the sound and controls the volume. It same thing on windows.

cheers,

Dude

In the PM You have not mentioned anything.............You have just quoted my previous reply...........

cheers,

Dude

Err, no.. In windows my tray slider WORKS, as well as the slider in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

But that's not by far the biggest issue I have. I would like to avoid having to buy a new webcam, and I would like to avoid adjusting IDE<->AHCI in BIOS every time I reboot...

Keyboard buttons and volume control are lower on my list of priorities.

BTW, common knowledge but nonetheless, SYSLINUX for Linux and Win32 is already integrated with GParted. How convenient for that GUID boot 132 partition...

Err, no.. In windows my tray slider WORKS, as well as the slider in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

But that's not by far the biggest issue I have. I would like to avoid having to buy a new webcam, and I would like to avoid adjusting IDE<->AHCI in BIOS every time I reboot...

Keyboard buttons and volume control are lower on my list of priorities.

BTW, common knowledge but nonetheless, SYSLINUX for Linux and Win32 is already integrated with GParted. How convenient for that GUID boot 132 partition...

You can install the AHCI driver for your system.

Download the AHCI Driver ICH10R_AHCIRAID_Driver_XPVista.zipand follow the steps given in this forum for installing AHCI Driver..

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=137296