MAC OS X LEOPARD RETAIL ON ASUS P5Q / P5Q PRO / P5Q-EM AND OTHERS

RoberT_XeS

Installed Mac OS X Retail Successfully  

736 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install Mac OS X Retail Successfully

• Yes
    • No

868 posts in this topic

Hey. I'm having problems getting ideneb to boot up. I followed all the instructions when i install it. When it boots up i get to the apple logo and it freezes up. I think i may have a problem with the chipset and kernel selection when i do the custom install.

Mobo -

ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor - Intel Q6600.

Video Card - Nvidia 9800 GT

If anyone needs anything else let me know and i can tell you what I have. If anyone knows what I need to select for the custom install portion of the install let me know so I can hopefully get this resolved.

Thanks in advance

When I installed iDeneb, I deselected almost everything from the installing. I added drivers later.

I choosed the default kernel.

Afterward, or you can try first, to boot with parameter -x -v... safe mode and display text instead of logo...

First of all Thank you for this guide!

I have a problem with the installation. I wanted to install on a separate SATA Disk with a CF Card boot132. Syslinux boots but the darwin doesn't appear.

Just this error:

Ebios read errror Device timeout

Block 0 Sectors 64

I assume that it is a problem with the SATA Drive. Could it be that it doesn't recognize the disk and says with this message that there is no bootable drive? Because if I plug in another HDD it appears and I could boot from there - although there is no OS. An d I can boot into iPC by this - without selecting anything.

I have installed iPC 10.5.6 on an other disk - which I plugged off when I tried to install retail.

I just didn't want to erase this working version when it can't install because of something else.

What do you know about this?

EDIT: I found this one: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...d=1054278

My conclusion is that the Maxtor 6Y160M0 is totally incompatible as a Mac OS X Boot-Disk!

The disk works if it is used as a data partition but not as boot-device. Not for boot132, setup or system. It just can't boot. Maybe it is because the disk needs almost 20 seconds to get recognized at bios init when set to AHCI.

Thanks

dawiinci

just a quick post to thank the author of that thread, that just rocks .....

I have just got some hard time to boot with the USB donkey, for any reason I was getting "missing operating system". Tried with several donkey and it finally worked, i dont explain it ...

my system is

P5Q-E

E8500

4Go RAM Crucial

HD and DVD sata

the built in LAN adapter works, the sound card as well

i m more than happy

now I m waiting for the ATI 4870 driver, i hope we will get one

actually i m running with VESA

once I get the boot cli, I type in "Graphics Mode"≠"1280x1025x32"

the problem is that I need to do that at each reboot, how can I add that boot parameter by default ???

thanks again, u did a wonderful work for the community

Thanks so much for this thread and your time & effort.

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find any answers to...

I had previously installed retail 10.5.4 onto the gigabyte p45-ds3r mb, which was done by booting off external harddrive that had a kalyway install on it and then "installing" retail from the external kalyway onto the target drive. I then ran 10.5.5 updates. After a few kext/driver edits the system was pretty stable.

Is it possible with a flashed bios to install using this method to the p5q-pro board.

Further, if I decided to have vista on one hard drive and os x on another hard drive can I still format the mac boot drive using GUID? I plan to basically use mac full time with an occasional vista boot.

Lastly, does the onboard LAN officially not work on the p5q-pro. Can any one recommend a working network card solution.

Thanks for any help... this thread/board has been so helpful.

I have only the problem , where i must transfer my informations by starting OS X first Time

he Freezes and startet then the windows new... HELP

Stand now here 6 Hours to install...

Enable the Firewire in your Bios

just a quick post to thank the author of that thread, that just rocks .....

I have just got some hard time to boot with the USB donkey, for any reason I was getting "missing operating system". Tried with several donkey and it finally worked, i dont explain it ...

my system is

P5Q-E

E8500

4Go RAM Crucial

HD and DVD sata

the built in LAN adapter works, the sound card as well

i m more than happy

now I m waiting for the ATI 4870 driver, i hope we will get one

actually i m running with VESA

once I get the boot cli, I type in "Graphics Mode"≠"1280x1025x32"

the problem is that I need to do that at each reboot, how can I add that boot parameter by default ???

thanks again, u did a wonderful work for the community

Permanent

* Boot OS X

* Open the TextEdit program in the Applications folder

* With TextEdit, open the file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

* Open the file, and add these two lines (right after the <string>Yes</string> line if you are on Tiger or <string></string> line if you are on Leopard)

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

* Replace the 1280x1024x32 with the resolution you want

* Then, in go to File >> Save As..

* Save the file as com.apple.Boot.plist on the Desktop (make sure the .plist part is there!)

* Navigate the the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder

* Drag your com.apple.Boot.plist file on the Desktop into the folder window

* When a messages appears, click Authenticate and Replace and enter your password

* You're done! Reboot OS X to see the changes

Here is an example of what the com.Apple.boot.plist file looks like with Leopard:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://

www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

when i want to boot into ideneb the screen freezes...(apple login)

could is be a problem with my geforce 9600gt ??

Try to login with -v and see what is the error message that you are receiving..........

You can also try to login with -x -F

Thanks so much for this thread and your time & effort.

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find any answers to...

I had previously installed retail 10.5.4 onto the gigabyte p45-ds3r mb, which was done by booting off external harddrive that had a kalyway install on it and then "installing" retail from the external kalyway onto the target drive. I then ran 10.5.5 updates. After a few kext/driver edits the system was pretty stable.

Is it possible with a flashed bios to install using this method to the p5q-pro board.

Further, if I decided to have vista on one hard drive and os x on another hard drive can I still format the mac boot drive using GUID? I plan to basically use mac full time with an occasional vista boot.

Lastly, does the onboard LAN officially not work on the p5q-pro. Can any one recommend a working network card solution.

Thanks for any help... this thread/board has been so helpful.

The answer is yes for all, except for the LAN.

For LAN

It is recommended to purchase Realtek 3189 and forget about the drivers for it - forever. MAC OS X, Windows, Linux, BSD install a driver automatically, the network is, at once, you never need to think about drivers for the network. (Attention: Buy only REALTEK 3189 (incl. REALTEK 3189C; REALTEK 3189D) - the price of the old $2, price of the new $5, Also Realtek there is 1000 Megabit - e.g. Realtek 8169 (Drivers also it installs at once, works well)

You can also buy

D-Link DGE-530T GigaExpress Ethernet Controller

My new problem is , that when i want install the retail OS X I become a msge : The Software to install mac Os x count found.

But that is only a Problem when the first Partition is not the Install Partition AND my HDD where i want install OS X is not the First in the list...

Thanks again, Robert!

If you dont mind, I have a few more questions about hard drives:

1. If I am going to have 2, 1tb drives internally for media/video editing, etc that will primarily be used within Mac, but may be used in Vista, what should they be formatted as. Could I leave them NTFS or do they have to be HFS? I know vista cant read HFS, but i've seen the mac deal with NTFS drives. Are there performance issues here, especially if the drives will be used within FCP, etc?

2. Vista should be ok with enabling ACHI mode, correct?

3. No version of the mac os install (kalyway, ideneb, etc) will even boot from ext-hard drive/disk on the P5Q without, the flashed bios and the ACHI mode enabled, correct?

Thanks so much.

okay.. everthing is working fine for me, except the graphics !

I use a HD2600 Pro - PCIE 256 MB Ram

and I tried the PKG installer here - didn't work

the thing with terminal and bla didn't work too..

so I need some kext for HD 2600 pro for 10.5.6

+ after installing the pkg I get some graphic errors

any help here?

okay.. everthing is working fine for me, except the graphics !

I use a HD2600 Pro - PCIE 256 MB Ram

and I tried the PKG installer here - didn't work

the thing with terminal and bla didn't work too..

so I need some kext for HD 2600 pro for 10.5.6

+ after installing the pkg I get some graphic errors

any help here?

Did you remove all the existing kexts from the Extension folder ?

If not then you should remove it first and then try..........

I hope you are using HD 2600 Pro PCIE Card.... Because there is a different driver for AGP Card......

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86952

http://netkas.freeflux.net/blog/archive/20...full-qe-ci.html

Is it possible to do Step 11 if the FAT32 partition is on a GUID disk?

I think it should work if the drive is active.......

Hi, i am trying to install iaktos 10.5.5, but I need to install it on an IDE disk as my RAID drives are set up in a dmraid (which isn't supported on mac os x), but when I go to disk utility, only my USB-drive and my SATA drives are showing up.

I noticed that IDE driver in the first post in this thread, but how Do I enable that driver so that it shows up under disk utility in iAktos ?

So I managed to install OS X86 on an IDE Drive using iDeneb, but when I start the OS, it won't boot completely. By trying to boot with -v, I eventually get a repeated error message of "Still waiting for root device"

20090129-ndri1q43y5466cstsdcikx5x7t.preview.jpg

Click for full size

Try to boot with your Bootable Flash Drive (Step 5 in Post # 1).

This will load the drivers and you may be able to boot into IDeneb........

Try to boot with your Bootable Flash Drive (Step 5 in Post # 1).

This will load the drivers and you may be able to boot into IDeneb........

I did press the F8 key to load the boot menu, however, starting iDeneb this way didn't initially work, because the boot loader on the flash drive only found my partitions on the SATA drive ( win vista x64). So I had to manually change the boot priority in the bios configuration, to set the IDE drive as first boot device. When I rebooted and pressed f8, i chose to start from the external drive where syslinux is installed, and it worked!

now i only have to find the correct driver for my ralink 2500-based wifi card, and to try to restore the retail image :)

I did press the F8 key to load the boot menu, however, starting iDeneb this way didn't initially work, because the boot loader on the flash drive only found my partitions on the SATA drive ( win vista x64). So I had to manually change the boot priority in the bios configuration, to set the IDE drive as first boot device. When I rebooted and pressed f8, i chose to start from the external drive where syslinux is installed, and it worked!

now i only have to find the correct driver for my ralink 2500-based wifi card, and to try to restore the retail image ;)

Here is the driver for you.......

Ralink RT 2500 RT2500.zip

Thanks!

How can I resize the partitions of a hard drive (mbr) from within OS X? It works on my macbook where the drive has GUID, but with MBR it doesn't seem to be possible.

Also, can someone recommend a bluetooth adapter that works with OS X? I want to use my apple wireless keyboard :)

edit: Although I installed that ralink wifi driver and rebooted a couple of times, I don't see my wifi card in the network preferences :rolleyes:

Thanks!

How can I resize the partitions of a hard drive (mbr) from within OS X? It works on my macbook where the drive has GUID, but with MBR it doesn't seem to be possible.

Also, can someone recommend a bluetooth adapter that works with OS X? I want to use my apple wireless keyboard :blink:

edit: Although I installed that ralink wifi driver and rebooted a couple of times, I don't see my wifi card in the network preferences :thumbsup_anim:

Not sure why its not working........ I found the driver by googling..........

Try this one...........

http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/..._2008_12_04.dmg

Thanks, I tried that one from ralinktech's site yesterday, too, but without success. The ralink utility that is installed with it, says "no device!!". In the network preferences, a new en0 unit shows up (so the wifi card is registered as a wirelane ethernet device).

At least the OS X Retail works :thumbsup_anim: