Installed Mac OS X Retail Successfully  

736 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install Mac OS X Retail Successfully

• Yes
    • No

868 posts in this topic

Installed and working on a p5qse :D

Booting off a usb stick and on the net with a tplink w321??? usb

Only thing i need now is drivers for my 4850 (yeah right :D)

Overall not too painless, quite easy to install.

Specs:

4 gig of ram

1 gig hdd

Have it displaying at 1600X1200 by using the graphic mode switch and edited the boot file to make it permanent.

I have an Asus P5Q with one 120G IDE hard drive and about to attempt this guide. Do I need more than one harddrive? Is the USB flashdrive boot method necessary if I don't intend to install other OSes? Also, I'm confused to why you have to install iDeneb or iAtkos first, then restore retail image? Is there a reason for that? Ideally, I like to install retail image as I have the original 10.5.4 disk from my MBP, is that possible without installing iDeneb or iAtkos first?

System Spec:

Asus P5Q

Seagate 120G IDE

Geforce 7200 GS 128M

G-Skill DD2 4x2GB

You can't install the retail dvd without patching the installation with the new OSInstall.mpkg from step 7. Besides, if you follow the guide completely, you install iDeneb on the first partition of the drive, and then start the installation of the patched retail image from the second partition. Then you overwrite the first partition where iDeneb was installed when installing the retail version of os x.

You also need the usb flash drive boot, because that contains a newer version of the chameleon boot loader, than the iaktos/ideneb install does. If you install the retail image, it won't contain the chameleon boot loader at all, so then you ABSOLUTELY need the flash drive (or oyu can install the bootloader to an empty FAT-partition as mentioned in the guide).

Also, you don't need a flash drive, it might as well be an external SATA/IDE drive.

Yeah, but you'd also have to buy those expensive dual-layer burnable DVDs if you wanted to install the retail image directly from the dvd (because of the size of the image).. I should also note here that installing the OS from a partion of the hard drive is a lot quicker than using a DVd. Retail installs in about 9 minutes (from the hard drive) here.

How do I make my IDE drive partitioned using GUID rather than MBR, btw? I didn't find an option to do that in the disk utility program from the installation disk of iDeneb?

If you install on a GUID Partition you can use the Retail DVD and you don't have to copy it on a HDD. The only reason why patching is to enable installations on MBR Disks (parallel to Windows XP).

Yes, i install on a guid partition, but my boot 132 cd don't start it tell my there is a checksum error, with the flash usb it boot but i can't select an installation from dvd.

what can i do?

i have an Asus p5Q-E and a velociraptor hard drive. i haven't installed anything on my hard driove yet. should i install windows first and then try to install the mac os x 10.5 or can i just install the mac os x 10.5 without windows on it. i'm looking to have just a hard drive with the mac os x on it.any thoughts?

Yeah, but you'd also have to buy those expensive dual-layer burnable DVDs if you wanted to install the retail image directly from the dvd (because of the size of the image).. I should also note here that installing the OS from a partion of the hard drive is a lot quicker than using a DVd. Retail installs in about 9 minutes (from the hard drive) here.

How do I make my IDE drive partitioned using GUID rather than MBR, btw? I didn't find an option to do that in the disk utility program from the installation disk of iDeneb?

If you have an orignal DVD the first problem doesn't exist. :D Anyway even if you make a copy on the HDD you don't need to patch if you install on GUID.

You can format the HDD by making a complete new partition. You have to choose for example "1 partition". Then you can choose under options to format as GUID. You find this directly in the disk utility from Mac OS.

Ok, i've installed leopard from an external usb disk to my guid hd. Now i have a problem with the "more information" because it don't show me the features of the system.

It does not show the devices in the System Profiler but the Devices works......

I succesfully installed 10.5.6 on a p5q-se/r, initially i have created the USB flashdrive for booting as your tutorial and then i made a few modification to avoid using a FAT32 partition or the USB for booting it:

booted osx 10.5.6 with usb pendrive as described in your tutorial, then in osx i extracted the kexts from initrd.img that were on the flashdrive, launched Universal OSx86 Installer 1.2 by pcwiz and choose to install pc_efi v9 and the kext i've extracted before. All seems fine, there are disadvantages by loading those modded kext without a 132 boot (flashdrive or fat partition)?

I succesfully installed 10.5.6 on a p5q-se/r, initially i have created the USB flashdrive for booting as your tutorial and then i made a few modification to avoid using a FAT32 partition or the USB for booting it:

booted osx 10.5.6 with usb pendrive as described in your tutorial, then in osx i extracted the kexts from initrd.img that were on the flashdrive, launched Universal OSx86 Installer 1.2 by pcwiz and choose to install pc_efi v9 and the kext i've extracted before. All seems fine, there are disadvantages by loading those modded kext without a 132 boot (flashdrive or fat partition)?

Great I will try that....

You used MBR or GUID

Me too have installed pc_efi9. I don't create a fat32 partition for copy the file of usbflash drive, i've installed leopard and then installa pc_efi9 and all work very well. I use a guid hd.

It does not show the devices in the System Profiler but the Devices works......

Good! The system works very well only the soundcard has a problem, it works only stereo mode with azaliaaudio, there is another kext?

Nothing, i've read this topic and works only stero output.

Somebody suggest me a internal soundcard that works 100%?

Thanks guys ;)

Hello everybody. That's a great post. I doubt of buy a Gigabyte (for Mac OS X better compatibility) or buy a Asus (because I think that's a better product), and finally, when I found this post I decided to buy an ASUS P5Q Pro.

And now, I've a question, that I can't solve reading the entire post because I can't found anything with the same problem.

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro (BIOS 1613 with Vista SLIC)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

RAM: 4 x KINGSTON DDR2 667 Mhz 1 GB

HD: Seagate SATA 320 GB

Optical: LG SATA DVD-RW 22x

USB: Kingston DataTraveler2 4 GB

I format USB Drive in FAT32, marc only partition as active, syslinux M:, copy all the files in the zip to the drive, and boot from the USB and...

only have a black screen with a white lighting dash.

Any sugestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Hello everybody. That's a great post. I doubt of buy a Gigabyte (for Mac OS X better compatibility) or buy a Asus (because I think that's a better product), and finally, when I found this post I decided to buy an ASUS P5Q Pro.

And now, I've a question, that I can't solve reading the entire post because I can't found anything with the same problem.

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro (BIOS 1613 with Vista SLIC)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

RAM: 4 x KINGSTON DDR2 667 Mhz 1 GB

HD: Seagate SATA 320 GB

Optical: LG SATA DVD-RW 22x

USB: Kingston DataTraveler2 4 GB

I format USB Drive in FAT32, marc only partition as active, syslinux M:, copy all the files in the zip to the drive, and boot from the USB and...

only have a black screen with a white lighting dash.

Any sugestions?

Many thanks in advance.

1. Format the USB Flash Drive.

2. Open CMD and enter CD C:\1\win32 (I suppose you extracted the Syslinux files into C:\1\ folder)

3. Type in the command syslinux.exe -ma R: if your drive letter is R, this will make the USB Flash Drive Acive and will also copy ldlinux.sys into the Drive (This is visible only if you unhide the system files from Tools> Folder Option > View > )

4. Copy the contents from the Boot 132 into the USB Flash Drive.

5. Now check if the drive is Active and then reboot..

Robert, amazing job... U've helpt out a lot of people, including me.

I got the retail running but after my update to 10.5.6., os x start but give me a blue screen and doesnt do anything. I see the harddrive led going on occasionally so ive got the idea that the os x has been started, but it doesnt show on the screen. Any suggestions?

I'm running on P5Q pro, nvidia 9800 gtx

Thanks

edit:

now I deleted the nvrush kext and it worked. So i downloaded some kext for my nvidia and when I start the os x, the screen powers off ... even when I start it with: -x -F -v

any suggestions?

Robert, amazing job... U've helpt out a lot of people, including me.

I got the retail running but after my update to 10.5.6., os x start but give me a blue screen and doesnt do anything. I see the harddrive led going on occasionally so ive got the idea that the os x has been started, but it doesnt show on the screen. Any suggestions?

I'm running on P5Q pro, nvidia 9800 gtx

Thanks

edit:

now I deleted the nvrush kext and it worked. So i downloaded some kext for my nvidia and when I start the os x, the screen powers off ... even when I start it with: -x -F -v

any suggestions?

Try this

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98666

to. RoberT_XeS

plz answer me.

I will upload it when I get home, I am in my office right now.....

Its pity much the same only thing I need to change is the AppleVIAATA.kext file that also if you need the IDE HDD working otherwise you can use the same Boot 132 Files as mine.

I will upload it when I get home, I am in my office right now.....

Its pity much the same only thing I need to change is the AppleVIAATA.kext file that also if you need the IDE HDD working otherwise you can use the same Boot 132 Files as mine.

thanks.

i will use your boot 132 version.(ide use.->Marvell 6102 chipset)

ASUS P5Q EM DO mainboard SOUND realtek ALC1200, Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network .IDE Marvell 6102 chipset

do you know intel 82567lm full working sleeping?If don't use i will use realtek 8139 lancard.

and i use ps2 keyboard and mouse.however USB to PS2 adapter buy.patch need?

ATI RADEON USER!

Thanks!!!

(ASUS P5Q SERIES FULL WORKING?

example: iee1394,e-sata, hot swap, sleeping.)