2. 2. Does it work successfully?

• Yes, no issues
    • Yes, minor issues/annoyances
    • No, Intel Pentium M/4/D
    • No, Intel Core or newer
    • No, AMD K8
    • No, AMD K10 or newer
    • No, other CPU
  3. 3. How do you rate the usefullness of VoodooPower?

• No use
    • Poor
    • Mediocre
    • Useful
    • Very useful
    • My life depend on it

351 posts in this topic

for me the GUI doesn't work

output:

Process:		 GenericCPUPMControl [1103]
Path:			/Users/cri900/Desktop/GenericCPUPMControl.app/Contents/MacOS/GenericCPUPMControl
Identifier:	  com.superhai.GenericCPUPMControl
Version:		 ??? (???)
Code Type:	   X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [136]

Date/Time:	   2009-01-08 00:42:11.665 +0100
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
 Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
 Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
 Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

Works great with GenericCPUPMControl.app on GA-P35-S3G. I haven't seen any issues with shutdown or anything yet.

Just one question: Do I need to keep GenericCPUPMControl.app open all the time or does VoodooPower.kext work in the background without GUI?

Works great with GenericCPUPMControl.app on GA-P35-S3G. I haven't seen any issues with shutdown or anything yet.

Just one question: Do I need to keep GenericCPUPMControl.app open all the time or does VoodooPower.kext work in the background without GUI?

No, throttling works without the app.

Also remember that the showing of all values (menue, window) all time with often updates takes CPU cycles / cpu load !!

At least running it in akku mode i would recommend to avoid running the app all of the time - saves power running .kext only!

No, throttling works without the app.

Also remember that the showing of all values (menue, window) all time with often updates takes CPU cycles / cpu load !!

At least running it in akku mode i would recommend to avoid running the app all of the time - saves power running .kext only!

thank you for enlightment.

sysctl -a | grep freq shows the kext is doing its job - P4 model 651 @ 3.40 GHz

This is weird though (but I guess it has nothing to do with your kext):

hw.cpufrequency_max: 3400000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 3400000000

min. should be 2400000000

GenericCPUPMControl GUI shows completely wrong values like -1800 and shows my CPU as having two cores although it's just plain HT.

I get the same problems on my Q6600

hw.cpufrequency_max: 2992000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 2992000000

and i get negative values ion the app aswell

But now, it correctly displays my cpu frequency, which is good :)

Short answer to some questions.

hw.cpufrequencymin/max is not updated from the kext, it is per design, will maybe come back in a future release.

the app will not be updated, but source is available, so fix it if you want.

the kext is, by design, meant to run unnoticeable and in the background.

i will add possibilty to turn off the shutdown/restart hack in a future version

i read this thread from time to time, but any bugs or issues reported here is so meaningless and without useful info that i don't want to spend time to even look through. if you have issues post it at appropriate places.

last a comment on the poll,

85% uses a inte core type cpu, 8 % uses older intel cpus. I got 1 bug report for intel cpus so i think it is more or less working as it should on Intels.

This totals the userbase to around 93% of those who voted.

7% uses amd, which of half of them uses older k8 cpus and other half uses k10/k11.

K8: 1 of 4 reports amd k8 as not working and i got two bug reports, but with very little info.

K10/11: 3 of 4 reorted it not working. but i have no (0/zero) bug reports on those cpu arch.

One reported 1 "other" type of cpu as not working, which is obvous as only amd and intels are supported.

Out of these numbers I don't see a reason to continue support for amd. As I don't have an amd cpu myself and testers are almost nonexisting and the lack of interest from the remaining, I think that is the conclusion.

THanks for doing further dev Intel only!

I think AMD fans/groups could get fixed that self!- using your source.

To focus to one cpu vendor includes much,much !! cpu types,.... with all their special problems.

I also said it at Vooddoo (the kernel) thread: AllinOne Kernel (AMD_ALL+INTEL_ALL) will slow down develop+fixing - they also dont have AMDs to test.

First. I'm on AMD machine. And of course it's sad to hear that there would be no AMD support. Just have tried the extension and got freeze BEFORE reboot without even KP. This extension can be very useful for me (and many others, of course). As an example - I have replaced PSU in my box with new one just because the old one got "stinky" for one simple reason - it can't stand the in-case temperature and power consumption of CPU. This would never happen on Windoze - C'n'Q really works!

Would be REALLY great to have this thing working on Os X.

Second. In my opinion OsX86 is all about alternative - alternative to Microsoft software, to Apple hardware, and this is all about the freedom of CHOICE. Maybe there are so less AMD users because of less support for their cpus. And with better support there certanly will be much much more of us.

Sorry for beeng so "toomanywordy", and maybe to much pathetic.

PS. Not an AMD fan (maybe just Alternative fan :rolleyes: )

Short answer to some questions.

hw.cpufrequencymin/max is not updated from the kext, it is per design, will maybe come back in a future release.

the app will not be updated, but source is available, so fix it if you want.

the kext is, by design, meant to run unnoticeable and in the background.

i will add possibilty to turn off the shutdown/restart hack in a future version

i read this thread from time to time, but any bugs or issues reported here is so meaningless and without useful info that i don't want to spend time to even look through. if you have issues post it at appropriate places.

last a comment on the poll,

85% uses a inte core type cpu, 8 % uses older intel cpus. I got 1 bug report for intel cpus so i think it is more or less working as it should on Intels.

This totals the userbase to around 93% of those who voted.

7% uses amd, which of half of them uses older k8 cpus and other half uses k10/k11.

K8: 1 of 4 reports amd k8 as not working and i got two bug reports, but with very little info.

K10/11: 3 of 4 reorted it not working. but i have no (0/zero) bug reports on those cpu arch.

One reported 1 "other" type of cpu as not working, which is obvous as only amd and intels are supported.

Out of these numbers I don't see a reason to continue support for amd. As I don't have an amd cpu myself and testers are almost nonexisting and the lack of interest from the remaining, I think that is the conclusion.

Hi,

Thanks for your work, it's really good!

Could you add the possibility to do a profile thing? Like defining real steps of throttling where we can set frequency and voltage ourselves.

I've done some testing on my Pentium M and I know exactly what voltages and frequencies I can use to have stability and less consumption.

Regards,

Naunaud.

First. I'm on AMD machine. And of course it's sad to hear that there would be no AMD support. Just have tried the extension and got freeze BEFORE reboot without even KP....

PS. Not an AMD fan (maybe just Alternative fan :thumbsup_anim: )

Yeah. I dont have much money (most reason why OS X on hackintosh insted of real Mac) but

why you dont try to switch to intel ?!

An used board isnt too expensive at ebay !!

And you save a lot of trouble (no voodoo kernel troubles / no log waits for that ...../ no AMD specific problems)

I recommend, if os x fans want to stay with that OS, to look for an Intel based solution.

I'd love to post a bug report and test it for you, but I don't know what exactly to report. I don't think just posting "it doesn't work" would do any help... :thumbsdown_anim: The kext loads nicely, no error reports whatsoever in the logs, it gets detected by the GenericCPUPMControl app, but it does absolutely... nothing... I couldn't find any info as to why it doesn't do anything, which means my bug report would have no debugging information at all... :censored2: Any suggestions?

I recommend, if os x fans want to stay with that OS, to look for an Intel based solution.

...and I thought that the point of OSX86 was to make it available for the broadest range of hardware available?

And sometimes, we just need hardware with more features than what intel can offer us. :blink: Hey, not everyone has enough money (or the space) to buy another PC just to test OS X on it. By the time you're done testing, that specific PC bought just to test OS X would have no use, and be a waste of money and space. But that's just my 2 cents. No offense.

I'd love to post a bug report and test it for you, but I don't know what exactly to report. I don't think just posting "it doesn't work" would do any help... :rolleyes: The kext loads nicely, no error reports whatsoever in the logs, it gets detected by the GenericCPUPMControl app, but it does absolutely... nothing... I couldn't find any info as to why it doesn't do anything, which means my bug report would have no debugging information at all... :D Any suggestions?

I wonder if it ever occured to you that the debug version of the kext had a purpose. And reading.... the first post of this thread as well as the www.superhai.com forum.

There is a difference of 15º C beetween Temperature Monitor app- and GenericCPUMControl app- monitoring, is it normal and do you know which is the right value ?

I use VoodooPower, but it was the same with older one.

Thanks again,

cheers

Hi,

I first ran Voodoo Power about a week ago with an E4400. Watching GenericCPUPMControl.app and MSR Tools, it showed the correct frequencies and was very quick to Auto Throttle up with load and back down when load was gone.

Today, I installed a Q9300, and the frequencies are sometimes incorrect in GenericCPUPMControl.app compared with the correct ones in MSR Tools. Also, it seems quite delayed in throttling up or down. Maybe everything is working as it should. Either way, here is my bug report.

Also, this is unrelated to your work, but my E4400 showed up correctly in About this Mac, but my Q9300 shows as 2.5GHz Unknown. Perhaps you can tell me why. Is this a function of my munky EFI bootloader or maybe the AnV AppleSMBIOS I am using in my EFI Extras? My install is all Vanilla. Thanks for the great work!

vplog.txt.zip

Before all thanks for the great work!

I have an AMD Turion ML-32 1.8 Ghz, so a K8 Family CPU. The kext work, in fact the frequency became 800 mhz, but the system and the animations became very slow! It's why I have a ATI XPRESS 200M without QE and CI?

Thanks and by!

P.S. I use IDeneb 10.5.5 with kernel StageXNU 9.4.0

Before all thanks for the great work!

I have an AMD Turion ML-32 1.8 Ghz, so a K8 Family CPU. The kext work, in fact the frequency became 800 mhz, but the system and the animations became very slow! It's why I have a ATI XPRESS 200M without QE and CI?

Thanks and by!

P.S. I use IDeneb 10.5.5 with kernel StageXNU 9.4.0

Yes, thats the reson ! Without QE/CI all screen IO is very slow when cpu is slower !

For you its simple not usable !

When you have no QE/CI the cpu must do lot of more work, uses much more cpu power.

If you reduce cpu mhz with speedstep (no QE/CI) your powersaving is near zero when much screen IO.

Because the cpu will longer run on less cpu MHZ - longer run takes more power consumption , total = less powercomsumtion(by less MHZ) but longer run(to full MHZ) = no power savings !!

Hi, It works perfectly in my Laptop...

but I want to adjust multiply in manually.

It works normally 3X multiply but it's so low freq.

I want to use 5X - 7X - 9X - 11X - 13X or 5X - 9X - 13X

How can I edit this mode..... please answer this question.