Mac OSX on ASUS P5Q and ASUS P5Q PRO AND SOME OTHER P5Q MOBO ALSO

RoberT_XeS

Installed and Working  

331 members have voted

1. 1. Did it work for you........

• Yes
    • No

544 posts in this topic

Install the drivers in my archive after installing the OS.

Download and install the Chameleon 2.0 bootloader, then place the files from my archive in /extra/extensions.

I've updated the 'guide' with more information.

Install the drivers in my archive after installing the OS.

If i install OS now...will it still work??

how to install it after i have installed the OS...

plz tell me because i have never used Mac before... i know its different than PC...so plz help...

thanks in advance...

If you are new to this hobby and your aim is to install and run vanilla 10.5.6, one approach is to install a 10.5.6 hackintosh distribution first (iPC 10.5.6 final is good) and then try to shave the patches off one by one until you can run all your patches from /extra and /extra/extensions. Once you get there you can then use the Chameleon 2.0 installer to format and prepare your EFI partition on a secondary GPT/HFS+J formatted hard drive, copy your patches there and go ahead and install retail on it.

You may want to try a different approach. I wanted a simple vanilla install and did not want to go via a patched install. In fact in turned out to be easier that way. This is what I did in a nutshell:

1) Attached a drive via USB interface to my mac

2) Formatted it as an OS X drive

3) Installed OS X on it from an image (use the instructions in the vanilla install sticky)

4) Installed Chameleon 2.0 (don't forget to change install location or you'll bork your mac)

5) Install appropriate kexts using OSX86 tools. For latest kexts check Marionez's posts, the guy is amazing.

6) Now install the right P5X-XX Bios on your Hackintosh

7) Move drive to Hackintosh

8) Boot from USB drive

9) Use Carbon Copy to copy USB drive to the system drive

10) Refine and enjoy.

I realize you may not have a Mac or extra drives in which case you will work a little harder to burn and boot a cd or create a usb stick to boot from.

Have fun.

But that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I'm just going to use my hackintosh to do it instead of a real mac. I already have OSX installed, I'll install retail on an internal SATA drive instead of a USB drive. I don't need to patch my BIOS, already have a working DSDT.aml.

Just waiting for the hardware to arrive in the mail.

But that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I'm just going to use my hackintosh to do it instead of a real mac. I already have OSX installed, I'll install retail on an internal SATA drive instead of a USB drive. I don't need to patch my BIOS, already have a working DSDT.aml.

Just waiting for the hardware to arrive in the mail.

I misunderstood your intention. There seems to be a lot of people feeling that they need to start from a patched version and use parts of it. With the bios mod and chameleon you can install retail directly then use OSX86 to install kexts.

Yep that's right but you still need a Mac or a working hackintosh installation to begin with. Or at least have hackintosh experience.

Another thing is, if I started from a real mac, I would never know the quirks of my PC hardware. I wouldn't know how the right settings to put in smbios.plist or make adjustments to Chameleon 2.0 in the boot.plist, I would have no way to test whether it worked or not.

I wouldn't know what patched kexts I'd need to put on my Chameleon 2.0 Boot CD. I wouldn't have my patched DSDT.aml with hand edited on board LAN with time machine fix and fully working 9800GTX+ graphics. It's pretty damn nice to see the intro video with full acceleration and sound on first boot.

So, if you can't find a boot-132 or Chameleon 2.0 CD image for your motherboard for download anywhere, you have to start the process of installing retail by getting a hackintosh install up and running first.

That's why I keep saying, don't knock the hackintosh distros, they have their place.

That's why I keep saying, don't knock the hackintosh distros, they have their place.

Not knocking, just wondering. I will try a non-distro method with a leopard retail disk on a spare drive. I am really curious to see if retail can be installed straight up.

I will post results this weekend.

Yes IDE is the problem.....

It is not that easy to install OSX on IDE....Even I used to look around many threads to find a solution for installing OSX on IDE...

You can just buy a IDE to SATA Converter and then try to install and it will wrok... The converter is very cheap you can buy it easily.....

I am really curious to see if retail can be installed straight up.

It's certainly possible on more compatible motherboards.

There are people on here who install retail with just the generic boot-132 image and the right BIOS settings.

ASUS P5Q series boards can't boot retail without a patched BIOS or DSDT.aml.

ASUS P5Q series boards can't boot retail without a patched BIOS or DSDT.aml.

I agree 100%. I have noticed that some people are against flashing the BIOS. I had no issue with this and am wondering why some people are so against this. Does it reduce multi-os compatibility?

I have noticed that some people are against flashing the BIOS. I had no issue with this and am wondering why some people are so against this. Does it reduce multi-os compatibility?

I don't know about compatibility, but I would guess not.

DSDT patching is not unknown in the Linux community. I don't know if they patch the same stuff that we do though.

My main gripe is not with the patching itself but that all the noobs think that they have to flash their BIOS to install and run OSX on their PCs.

Things often go wrong when people don't understand what they're doing or why they're doing it.

On modern motherboards it's almost hard to do it wrong but not everybody has boards with backup BIOS ROM, and there is still a possibility of a power outage while flashing or that there's something wrong with the patched BIOS. And other things beyond my imagination..

Another perspective is that by downloading a BIOS patched by someone else you open your system to things like this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/bios-viru...kdoor,7400.html

If a new BIOS comes out and you need it for some reason (like added RAM/CPU compatibility or something) you have to wait until someone else patches it for you if you can't do it yourself.

From my point of view it's much easier not to mention totally risk-free to use DSDT.aml. People should be able to boot at least a hackintosh distribution with CPUS=1, make a DSDT patch and then boot normally with all cores working. The end result is the same but it is a much more flexible method. And now, with Chameleon 2.0 you can make a boot CD with DSDT.aml on it.

I have been in pcs for 25 years so firmware upgrades are second nature to me. Seeing as the P5Q has had a stable firmware for so long and the Juzzi version was widely used it seemed a no-brainer to me.

That being said I completely understand and agree with your points, thank you for clarifying.

Please help me to install Leopard On Msi P45 Platinum.

I have "XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2" Install Disc

When i Boot This DVD System Restarted 

Please helpme to install this 

My System Config

Intel Q6600

Msi P45 Platinum

Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512 MB 

4 GB RAM

500 GB HDD

LG DVD RW

Yours Faithfully 

Play DVD BOY

Just wanted to say thanks to the author for all your hard work, my HackIntosh (in a Quicksilver case of corse) is running like a charm using your guide! I can't wait to get my hands on a Retail DVD to be truly running Mac OSX, until then, congrats are in order!

You will be able to see Mac OS X option on the windows boot loader if you follow the below give guide

After the installation if you are not able to see the boot menu of osx then do the following steps.

If you are using Windows XP (Also Works fine if you are using both Windows XP and Windows Vista)

1. Download tboot.

2. Extract this file in to the C:\ Drive. If you have installed Windows XP on C:\ Drive.

3. Open Boot.ini and then type C:\tboot="Mac OSX Leopard"

If you are using Windows Vista Only

If the PC is Vista only, put ntldr(get one from your XP installation CD), tboot and a boot.ini file to your Vista boot partition, for example [boot loader]timeout=0

default=c:tboot [operating systems]c:tboot="Mac OSX Leopard" Vista will automatically detect and add the Leopard entry on next boot. Also, for Vista users, you may use bcdedit to add tboot, but the ntldr way is much much more easier. Anway, if you prefer the native Vista bootloader, here is how:

1. put tboot on Vista boot partition, usually C:\
  2. Open a command prompt and make sure it's running as administrator and type:

bcdedit /create /d "Mac OSX Leopard" /application bootsector This will retrun a {ID}
  3. Use the command line below to add the tboot, replace the {ID} accordingly: bcdedit /set {ID} device bootbcdedit /set {ID}
    path tbootbcdedit /displayorder {ID} /addlast

Dear Robert,

Plz your help, after installing, and then rebooting the computer, I only seen message :

boot0:MBR

boot0:done

boot1:starup file

Right now I cannot login to my XP and my Leopard .. plz help.

BR,

PANJI S

Dear Robert,

Plz your help, after installing, and then rebooting the computer, I only seen message :

boot0:MBR

boot0:done

boot1:starup file

Right now I cannot login to my XP and my Leopard .. plz help.

BR,

PANJI S

Dear ALL,

Anybody can help me to cek my command at boot.ini :

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)C:\tboot="Mac OSX Leopard"

hi all. i've installed ideneb 10.5.6 on my p5q 3 weeks ago and everything was working flawlessly until i pressed the sleep button by mistake. After i did that, the computer restartet immediately and the bios was reset (saying an overclocking attempt failed).

Since this incident, my system freezes randomly. I've already re-flashed my bios with the patched one posted here, and i've already re-installed the system 3 times, but the freezes remain.

Does anyone know how i could track this one down ?

thanks !

hi all. i've installed ideneb 10.5.6 on my p5q 3 weeks ago and everything was working flawlessly until i pressed the sleep button by mistake. After i did that, the computer restartet immediately and the bios was reset (saying an overclocking attempt failed).

Since this incident, my system freezes randomly. I've already re-flashed my bios with the patched one posted here, and i've already re-installed the system 3 times, but the freezes remain.

Does anyone know how i could track this one down ?

Hi,

should be no problem at all...

I have had this several times so far.

Simply revert bios settings to the desired ones like AHCI for disks,

and what is even more important if you have several hard disks you should check up

boot priorities and set them up in desired sequence.

Or before this press F8 during boot and choose to boot from the proper disk.

you should be able to boot the system.

If so, next time during boot set adequate BIOS settings.

Good Luck :-)

Matuszczak

thanks for the info. i've reinstalled everything all over and put my osx harddisk on sata port 1. also, i think

i had a mess with my ram. i use 4 x 1 gb ram modules, 2x 1 pair, which were not sitting in there synchronously i think.

After doing some hardware modifications, everything's up and running again :D

thanks !