[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

Thanks,

Could you please writea brief description about each kext?

I don't know if i need all ofthem.

thanks

Honestly, I gathered these out of all the kexts you see in this thread, plus the links to other threads. I haven't done any experimenting as to what works and what doesn't, since I don't want to risk breaking anything. If/when I set up another E6400 with Snow, I'll go through the kexts one by one to see what is and isn't needed. There are four of us at my workplace who have these, but we all used the same (my) template, so none of us have messed around with the additional kexts yet.

Honestly, I gathered these out of all the kexts you see in this thread, plus the links to other threads. I haven't done any experimenting as to what works and what doesn't, since I don't want to risk breaking anything. If/when I set up another E6400 with Snow, I'll go through the kexts one by one to see what is and isn't needed. There are four of us at my workplace who have these, but we all used the same (my) template, so none of us have messed around with the additional kexts yet.

Do think I could use some of the kext you provided in mac os x 10.5.8?

Vanilla (99%, only a few modified kexts) Mac OS 10.6.1. I'm trying to keep my system as vanilla as possible, because it works just fine as it is. Everything loads from Extra via Chameleon, except for SleepEnabler, IOUSBFamily and ClamShellDisplay.

My Extra folder: http://timmins.net/~calaverx11/CalaverX11Extra.zip

My most recent rundown:

- 3D accel/QE/CI/etc. (GraphicsEnabler)

- Audio I/O (VoodooHDA)

- Keyboard, Trackpad, Touchstick (minus scrolling)

- Lid sleep (ClamShellDisplay, SleepEnabler, IOUSBFamily)

- WiFi (Dell 1510)

- Ethernet (Intel, no sleep)

- Battery power (~3.5 hours on full charge)

- eSATA (See below)

- Camera

- Sprint 5720 Mobile Broadband (install Sprint SmartView from sprint.com/downloads, any Novatel device)

- Bluetooth (DellBluetoothHCI)

- IEEE-1394

eSATA works by plugging in a drive and applying power at boot, before the OS loads, OR by plugging in and applying power to the device, the sleeping/waking the machine. OS X recognizes it as an external drive, but knows it's not USB as it shows up in the SATA device chain in System Profiler.

Still not working:

- PC Card slot

- SDHC; I see people have this working...HOW?

- Shutdown/restart

Here's the kext to get SDHC to work. Enjoy. Can you show me how to sleep with clamshelldisplay, sleepenabler, and iousbfamily? I got it to sleep with IOUSBFamily.kext installed in S/L/E (and going into apple --> sleep to get sleep to work) but i can't sleep just by closing the lid.

VoodooSDHC.kext.zip

Here's the kext to get SDHC to work. Enjoy. Can you show me how to sleep with clamshelldisplay, sleepenabler, and iousbfamily? I got it to sleep with IOUSBFamily.kext installed in S/L/E (and going into apple --> sleep to get sleep to work) but i can't sleep just by closing the lid.

You need to put ALL THREE in S/L/E and fix permissions using Disk Utility. If it doesn't work, then I don't know what the problem is...I did just that, and it worked, like magic. Some people may have different cases.

Still no dual monitors from the dock with the laptop closed, right?

No, sorry.

No-go on the VoodooSDHC...is there something else I need to do to make it work? Is simply popping in an SD card going to show up as a drive on the desktop, or is there another stipulation?

Do think I could use some of the kext you provided in mac os x 10.5.8?

All the kexts from Fredde87 and others relating to Snow were meant for Snow. The kexts from earlier on in the forum will work fine in 10.5.8, even on the E6400. I was running 10.5.7 for several months until 10.6 came out.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your PM and also your extra folder. I pretty much get most of the things work beside the Mic and sleep.

Is there any things i need to do to enable the mic and sleep beside copy paste your extra folder?

I saw you post some explanation in several post above. do you mind to provide a more details steps? I am very new to OSX and even Mac.

Beside that, i found a way to install Snow Leopard by just using CD, do not need existing working Leopard, USD thumb drive or even secondary hard drive. And also able to dual boot with windows 7. I will try to write the guide and post it soon.

thanks.

Vanilla (99%, only a few modified kexts) Mac OS 10.6.1. I'm trying to keep my system as vanilla as possible, because it works just fine as it is. Everything loads from Extra via Chameleon, except for SleepEnabler, IOUSBFamily and ClamShellDisplay.

My Extra folder: http://timmins.net/~calaverx11/CalaverX11Extra.zip

My most recent rundown:

- 3D accel/QE/CI/etc. (GraphicsEnabler)

- Audio I/O (VoodooHDA)

- Keyboard, Trackpad, Touchstick (minus scrolling)

- Lid sleep (ClamShellDisplay, SleepEnabler, IOUSBFamily)

- WiFi (Dell 1510)

- Ethernet (Intel, no sleep)

- Battery power (~3.5 hours on full charge)

- eSATA (See below)

- Camera

- Sprint 5720 Mobile Broadband (install Sprint SmartView from sprint.com/downloads, any Novatel device)

- Bluetooth (DellBluetoothHCI)

- IEEE-1394

eSATA works by plugging in a drive and applying power at boot, before the OS loads, OR by plugging in and applying power to the device, the sleeping/waking the machine. OS X recognizes it as an external drive, but knows it's not USB as it shows up in the SATA device chain in System Profiler.

Still not working:

- PC Card slot

- SDHC; I see people have this working...HOW?

- Shutdown/restart

can someone repost ponjop's extra folder its not available anymore. I having mostly sleep, restart, shutdown issues others have mentioned in this thread. For example when i try to sleep it acts like it goes to sleep then comes back out of sleep and nothing really works prompting a hard shut down

Hmm, I don't know why it doesn't work, the voodoosdhc.kext is installed in my /Extra/CustomExtensions folder and not S/L/E. Is your voodoosdhc.kext installed in /extra/extensions/ ? I heard there are some problems using /extra/extensions. I'm currently using pfix script (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/10/pfix-v2-1-released/) to fix my permissions. The SD card will just pop up like a regular hard drive. I will try the lid sleep now, thanks!

No-go on the VoodooSDHC...is there something else I need to do to make it work? Is simply popping in an SD card going to show up as a drive on the desktop, or is there another stipulation?

All the kexts from Fredde87 and others relating to Snow were meant for Snow. The kexts from earlier on in the forum will work fine in 10.5.8, even on the E6400. I was running 10.5.7 for several months until 10.6 came out.

What would be awesome is that whoever is running this machine (e6400) with snow leopard could put together a step by step guide on how to do it (bios settings, kexts, etc) to sort of consolidate the information in this thread into something workable. Right now there is a bunch of info swirling around it is hard to figure out what to follow and so forth.

that would be awesome from reading everything and experimenting with my e6500 i feel like i am where the successful ones were about 4-6 weeks ago. I cannot get sleep to work, i cannot get volume control to work.

I keep trying the IOUSBFamily.kext for sleep but can't get permission to the file in S/L/E even after changing permission on the file itself

Installing snow leopard is a breeze i got that down i should after doing it ten times in the last 3 days :)

Any other suggestions or a quick bullet point list of do's or even don'ts would be most appreciated for those of s not up to full speed yet

What would be awesome is that whoever is running this machine (e6400) with snow leopard could put together a step by step guide on how to do it (bios settings, kexts, etc) to sort of consolidate the information in this thread into something workable. Right now there is a bunch of info swirling around it is hard to figure out what to follow and so forth.

I'm going to do just that soon. I'm still toying with it to get as much as possible working, but I fully intend on writing up a Snow Leopard E6400 tutorial when it's done.

My configuration:

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M (for PC Card - ExpressCard is optional, but all my company's machines use PC)

Intel Core2 Duo 2.26GHz

Hitachi 160GB SATA-II HD

Intel ICH(?) High-definition Audio

Alps Precision Touchpad with Trackpoint and EZ-Scroll

4GB DDR2-800MHz PC2-6400 SDRAM (2x 2GB SODIMM)

Creative 1.3Mp Webcam

Broadcom USH SmartCard and Fingerprint reader

Ricoh 4-in-1 card reader w/SDHC

Dell Wireless370 Bluetooth

Broadcom Dell 1510 802.11a/b/g dual-band WiFi

Novatel Sprint 5720 EV-DA RevA dual-band cellular

TS-U633 DVD+RW Multi-layer optical drive

Dell UltraSharp 14.1" WXGA+ 1440x900x32bit@60Hz LCD

I think that's it.

Hmm, I don't know why it doesn't work, the voodoosdhc.kext is installed in my /Extra/CustomExtensions folder and not S/L/E. Is your voodoosdhc.kext installed in /extra/extensions/ ? I heard there are some problems using /extra/extensions. I'm currently using pfix script (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/10/pfix-v2-1-released/) to fix my permissions. The SD card will just pop up like a regular hard drive. I will try the lid sleep now, thanks!

I'll try again. It was installed in Extra. I may have a conflicting driver somewhere. Have you checked my Extras/Extensions folder? I know that nothing in my S/L/E is modified save for a backed-up IOUSBFamily.kext. If something is conflicting I'll have to isolate it.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your PM and also your extra folder. I pretty much get most of the things work beside the Mic and sleep.

Is there any things i need to do to enable the mic and sleep beside copy paste your extra folder?

I saw you post some explanation in several post above. do you mind to provide a more details steps? I am very new to OSX and even Mac.

Beside that, i found a way to install Snow Leopard by just using CD, do not need existing working Leopard, USD thumb drive or even secondary hard drive. And also able to dual boot with windows 7. I will try to write the guide and post it soon.

thanks.

You're welcome. If you're using the VoodooHDA driver (like I am) you need to set your audio out device to "Analog PCM #0: PCM" to enable volume control. The Mic LEVEL is controlled under the OUTPUT tab by "Analog PCM #1: Recording level," but the INPUT "Analog PCM #1: Microhphone #2" needs to be selected.

How did you get Snow Leopard to install from the DVD?

I actually already wrote a tutorial on it and post it. But seem like still waiting it got approve by the moderator. I intended to start a new thread for SL with E6500/E6400 since this is more for Leopard and also in order to keep the tutorial on top of the thread. If it is not going to get approve, i will post the whole tutorial here later tonight.

according to this: (read it carefully for specific information)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1272472

you can use this guide to get E1505/6400 working on SL

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

it is my understanding, from reading lots of posts noob76 and TheGreatDeceiver both have a E1505/6400 running. so, i just follow their posts to find all the answers to my questions :-)

i got sleep working i used mkext to install IOUSBFamily.kext and sleep worked on reboot but when it comes out of sleep the system is very unresponsive and no internet, etc. I also get errors on boot concerning hibernation, etc

A new guide would be most welcome

i got sleep working i used mkext to install IOUSBFamily.kext and sleep worked on reboot but when it comes out of sleep the system is very unresponsive and no internet, etc. I also get errors on boot concerning hibernation, etc

A new guide would be most welcome

But at least the sleep is working:) I think until somebody confirm the sleep works with wake up as well, I won't play with it.

Right now the sleep/shutdown/restart is the only problem I would need solution for on SL.

according to this: (read it carefully for specific information)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1272472

you can use this guide to get E1505/6400 working on SL

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

it is my understanding, from reading lots of posts noob76 and TheGreatDeceiver both have a E1505/6400 running. so, i just follow their posts to find all the answers to my questions :-)

Where was this guide a month ago? :D

Looks like they beat me to it, then. I have a spare hard drive and E6400, I'll give these a shot and see what the results are.

Hi,

I just post my guide to the forum. Below is the link.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194738

I guess this is the simplest way to install it on E6500.

What i missing now is the patch to make all the other device working. If you can help to provide how do you make the sleep work, that will be great.

Where was this guide a month ago? ;)

Looks like they beat me to it, then. I have a spare hard drive and E6400, I'll give these a shot and see what the results are.

I can get sleep to work but when you wake up the system nothing really works and you get errors in chameleon when you reboot. I've seen some suggestions of force wakeup in chameleon

My first attemptthe system would go to sleep then wake back up immedately and was useless then after reinstalling the kext and fixing permissions I would get full sleep with the glowing power button but upon wake it was hard to open anything and ethernet stopped working

I'm begging to think the sleep issue is not just a kext but a kext combined with the proper chameleon settings

Hello everyone I took time this weekend and worked on sleep support. The first attempt I could get my e6500 to sleep and wake up but I would not have bluetooth support. I figured that out by replacing my iousbfamily.kext. So here are instructions to hopefully get it to work for you also.

1. remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Extra/Extenstions folder if it exists also make sure it is not in s/l/e

2. recompile Extensions.mtext using Kext Utility

3. reboot

4. go to System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter you should now see "Start up automatically after a power failure" and click that checkbox

5. go to s/l/e and copy iousbfamily.kext to your desktop for safe keeping

Note: When I tried to use sleep without replacing iousbfamily.kext my machine would start to sleep but after a few seconds the machine would start back up.

6. I don't know if this is the correct way to install, but it works for me. I now deleted iousbfamily.kext from s/l/e and installed the new one which you can download below with Kext Helper or OSXTools

7. Reboot and after the laptop restarts you should have full sleep support, OS works perfectly (Bluetooth and wifi works after coming out of sleep)

By the way closing the lid also puts the laptop to sleep.

Hope it works for you like it does for me. Now if we can fix reboot and shutdown I'll have 100% Snow Leopard support

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

Hello everyone I took time this weekend and worked on sleep support. The first attempt I could get my e6500 to sleep and wake up but I would not have bluetooth support. I figured that out by replacing my iousbfamily.kext. So here are instructions to hopefully get it to work for you also.

1. remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Extra/Extenstions folder if it exists also make sure it is not in s/l/e

2. recompile Extensions.mtext using Kext Utility

3. reboot

4. go to System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter you should now see "Start up automatically after a power failure" and click that checkbox

5. go to s/l/e and copy iousbfamily.kext to your desktop for safe keeping

Note: When I tried to use sleep without replacing iousbfamily.kext my machine would start to sleep but after a few seconds the machine would start back up.

6. I don't know if this is the correct way to install, but it works for me. I now deleted iousbfamily.kext from s/l/e and installed the new one which you can download below with Kext Helper or OSXTools

7. Reboot and after the laptop restarts you should have full sleep support, OS works perfectly (Bluetooth and wifi works after coming out of sleep)

By the way closing the lid also puts the laptop to sleep.

Hope it works for you like it does for me. Now if we can fix reboot and shutdown I'll have 100% Snow Leopard support

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

I've tried your guide, but even if I have removed the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from both locations, I have no option for startup after a power failure

Has it worked for anybody else?

Btw, are u using 32 or 64 bit?

I've tried your guide, but even if I have removed the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from both locations, I have no option for startup after a power failure

Has it worked for anybody else?

Btw, are u using 32 or 64 bit?

I'm running 32bit, I guess I should of mentioned that. The checkbox only appears in the "Power Adapter" section.

I'm running 32bit, I guess I should of mentioned that. The checkbox only appears in the "Power Adapter" section.

Can you provide more details step on 2 and 6?

e.g: the link to the tools you use (there are so many version) and also where are those files located and how to recompile them?

I fairly new to MAC. and as you can see in the previous post that i post, i try to write a guide that can easily help those people like me to install hackintosh on E6500.

thanks.

Can you provide more details step on 2 and 6?

e.g: the link to the tools you use (there are so many version) and also where are those files located and how to recompile them?

I fairly new to MAC. and as you can see in the previous post that i post, i try to write a guide that can easily help those people like me to install hackintosh on E6500.

thanks.

Step2: Run the kext utility. You shouldn't care about the version as all of them doing the same...

Kreeg: WOuld you mind sharing your kext output? I mean if you go to terminal and open up the next command:

kextstat

I wouold like to see which versions of which kexts you have. THanks in advance

ps: I've attached mine (no reboot, no sleep, no poweroff, no hibernate, everything else is working)

kexts.rtf