[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

One thing to keep in mind is that when it sleeps then wakes, your Gigabit Ethernet will not function (a bit of a deal breaker for me since i need access to my company's network shares).

I don't use my card reader so i can't speak to if mine works or not, have you tested the pc card slot to verify that it doesn't see what you put in?

Yeah, I discovered this. It's not a total dealbreaker for me, as I can use wireless fine at work and home. If I NEED gigE, I can just reboot.

Right now, nothing happens when I use either PC card slot or SDHC card slot. While I don't absolutely need them, they're "nice to have"s, and I actually do use devices that use SD.

As for dual monitors, I'm wondering if it's possible to make clamshell mode work like it does on the real MacBooks (close lid without sleeping and switch to external display only), then attach a second monitor and see what happens. But clamshell mode needs to work first. Right now it just goes right to sleep on lid close.

You have a similar setup to myself. I have Chameleon Installed in the "EFI" partition, and you shouldn't have any issues then either.

I there a way I could see my EFI partition in mac os x?

From some reason The Chameleon install did not let choose the EFI partition.

Thanks

you should just have to mount the partition. Search Spotlight for Disk utility, see if another drive is detected that looks something like disk0s2 and right click that and say mount.

Thanks I'll try out.

Should I stick to the Cham2 install or just do it manually?

I find lots of guides how to do it via command line.

Is it wisely first installing it to the EFI partition?

or should I install it to the mac os x partition?

Thanks I'll try out.

Should I stick to the Cham2 install or just do it manually?

I find lots of guides how to do it via command line.

Is it wisely first installing it to the EFI partition?

or should I install it to the mac os x partition?

As long as you made those partitions and created that EFI partition, you're fine. If you're not sure or know you didn't make it - i would install to the default Mac partition. There are alot of guides for Command line Cham install, but i haven't found the need for them - the RC2 installer works just fine.

As long as you made those partitions and created that EFI partition, you're fine. If you're not sure or know you didn't make it - i would install to the default Mac partition. There are alot of guides for Command line Cham install, but i haven't found the need for them - the RC2 installer works just fine.

I mounted my EFI to partition to /Volumes/EFI and the Chameleon install did not recognize the EFI

partition, how do I resolve this?

Thanks

Hey guys.

Sorry I havent been active here for a while. Been away etc, the usual stuff. Really happy that RC3 fixed the QE/CI!

I also tried that IOUSBFamily from zPilott. For me it seams to fix so that my laptop can sleep. However my laptop wakes up straight away and gives the following reason in the kernel.log, "Wake reason = AZAL PBTN LID EHC2". I am not sure how to interpret this but to me it seams like all those four items is causing the pc to wake up (power button and lid being the obvious ones).

I found this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1247908 which I am tempted to try. It seems to fix sleep for several people plus I would like to have vanilla speedstep. Anyway been brave enough to try this?

Or did anyone have the same sleep problems as I have now?

Hey guys.

Sorry I havent been active here for a while. Been away etc, the usual stuff. Really happy that RC3 fixed the QE/CI!

I also tried that IOUSBFamily from zPilott. For me it seams to fix so that my laptop can sleep. However my laptop wakes up straight away and gives the following reason in the kernel.log, "Wake reason = AZAL PBTN LID EHC2". I am not sure how to interpret this but to me it seams like all those four items is causing the pc to wake up (power button and lid being the obvious ones).

I found this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1247908 which I am tempted to try. It seems to fix sleep for several people plus I would like to have vanilla speedstep. Anyway been brave enough to try this?

Or did anyone have the same sleep problems as I have now?

I want to try this, but 1. lspci doesn't seem to exist, and 2. where would I find the E6400's vendor and product IDs?

I want to try this, but 1. lspci doesn't seem to exist, and 2. where would I find the E6400's vendor and product IDs?

I dont know about 2. but lspci is available in most linux distributions (any small live cd should have it that you can run in a console).

I will look into this in more detail tomorrow, now it is time for some well deserved sleep :P

I mounted my EFI to partition to /Volumes/EFI and the Chameleon install did not recognize the EFI

partition, how do I resolve this?

Thanks

If after mounting it isn't showing, i wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Just install to your mac directory.

Uhm, why try this if you already have sleep working? What is ispci? and to find your vendor and prod ids just boot into windows. Right click My Computer -> click manage -> device manager -> click on the device you're interested in -> right click -> properties -> Details tab -> click drop down menu ->click hardware IDs. ta'da.

If after mounting it isn't showing, i wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Just install to your mac directory.

Uhm, why try this if you already have sleep working? What is ispci? and to find your vendor and prod ids just boot into windows. Right click My Computer -> click manage -> device manager -> click on the device you're interested in -> right click -> properties -> Details tab -> click drop down menu ->click hardware IDs. ta'da.

I am guessing he wants to do it because the ultimate goal is to have a vanilla install of OS X. If we can fix most problems through additional kexts or through EFI strings and DSDT then we can have a separate partition with this and leave the OS X unchanged. This would protect us from any future upgrade Apple might release. Using modified kexts can cause problems when Apple decide to change them in the future.

I havent had a chance to do the DSDT USB Fix today as I said. I have had a quick look but struggled to find how many "steps" our processor supports. I have got a Intel Core Duo 2 P8700, does anyone have the speedstep technical specs for it?

Btw just notice that my sleep does sort of work. But only if I leave it and the Power Management puts it to sleep, if I close the lid or press Sleep in the menu then it will wake up straight after going into sleep. Anyone seen this?

Can someone post his Dell E6400 kext?

It will appreciated it.

In addition it would be nice to add explanation on which kext I should add into:

EFI partition /Extra/Extenstion folder.

and which kext i should add to the leopard 10.5.7 Extensions folder.

Right now the situation is as follows:

I can boot using boot-132 cd.

When I try to boot using chameleon via my EFI partition I'm getting a message saying:

A restart is needed....

I've tried the kext from boot-132 cd by placing them in my EFI/Extra/Extensions folder and a mkext file was created and placed in the Extra folder.

Please help me out I've tried almost everything...

Thanks (I hope this time I'll find the solution)

Hi Lads,

I'm just wondering have anybody seen the system profiler window which shows the graphic properties correctly, but without the QE at all:

Quadro NVS 160M:

Chipset Model: Quadro NVS 160M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06eb

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

IF anybody has idea why it is completely missing, not even not supported, please let me know... I can't find anything related.

kexts10.6_dooky.zip

Can someone post his Dell E6400 kext?

It will appreciated it.

In addition it would be nice to add explanation on which kext I should add into:

EFI partition /Extra/Extenstion folder.

and which kext i should add to the leopard 10.5.7 Extensions folder.

Right now the situation is as follows:

I can boot using boot-132 cd.

When I try to boot using chameleon via my EFI partition I'm getting a message saying:

A restart is needed....

I've tried the kext from boot-132 cd by placing them in my EFI/Extra/Extensions folder and a mkext file was created and placed in the Extra folder.

Please help me out I've tried almost everything...

Thanks (I hope this time I'll find the solution)

Grab ponjop's extra folder(earlier in this form, maybe 2 pages back) and basically take it's contents and put it where your own are presently. That SHOULD be all the more you need to do (except editing his UUID out and putting your own in the SMBIOS.plist and UUID.Kext's info.plist. Use the utility i referenced earlier and build a new mkext. That is the basic setup i have right now on my SL partition (presently in 7 because i need to be able to output dual monitors for work)

Grab ponjop's extra folder(earlier in this form, maybe 2 pages back) and basically take it's contents and put it where your own are presently. That SHOULD be all the more you need to do (except editing his UUID out and putting your own in the SMBIOS.plist and UUID.Kext's info.plist. Use the utility i referenced earlier and build a new mkext. That is the basic setup i have right now on my SL partition (presently in 7 because i need to be able to output dual monitors for work)

Thanks for your help.

I grabbed ponjop's extra folder before but the message "A restart is needed" showed up.

I did not changed the UUID, so I'll try this out.

do u think this casued the kernel panic?

when I boot mac os x with the -v option I did not see that the kext from my /Extra/Extenstion folder

were loaded, only the offical kext and thats casued the kernel panic message, what do you think?

I think its something related to permission or something like that.

I grabbed the kext from boot-132 which I was able to boot with it and still no luck.

Do I need to replace some official kext with my modified kext?

Thanks

Thanks for your help.

I grabbed ponjop's extra folder before but the message "A restart is needed" showed up.

I did not changed the UUID, so I'll try this out.

do u think this casued the kernel panic?

when I boot mac os x with the -v option I did not see that the kext from my /Extra/Extenstion folder

were loaded, only the offical kext and thats casued the kernel panic message, what do you think?

I think its something related to permission or something like that.

I grabbed the kext from boot-132 which I was able to boot with it and still no luck.

Do I need to replace some official kext with my modified kext?

Thanks

I'm getting this kernel panic message:

"No HPETs available cpu(s) configured incorrectly"

How do I fix it?

Thanks

dual screens with 160M:

Just a new question:

Has anybody been able to get dual screens working with NVS 160M card?

If yes, please let me know how, I would VERY appreciate it!

If possible with kext as well, pls.

Thanks in advance

I'm getting this kernel panic message:

"No HPETs available cpu(s) configured incorrectly"

How do I fix it?

Thanks

Sounds directly related to the AppleIntelCpuManagement.kext File.

Did you rebuild that extensions.mkext file? Use the Kext Utility and drag the extensions folder to the program, and make sure that you delete the old one prior to that. After running the utility you should find an extensions.mkext in your extra folder.

slightly off topic now with the snow leopard discussion, but displayport does not work on my setup with core vidia and 10.5. To get digital output I have to go off the DVI port on the dock.

Firewire has been tested, works great. I don't think I ever mentioned it but eSATA has always been working too. PCMCIA is still untested.

Sounds directly related to the AppleIntelCpuManagement.kext File.

Did you rebuild that extensions.mkext file? Use the Kext Utility and drag the extensions folder to the program, and make sure that you delete the old one prior to that. After running the utility you should find an extensions.mkext in your extra folder.

I did rebuild the extensions.mkext.

I'll delete the AppleIntelCpuManagement.kext from the leopard directory and will remake the mkext file.

Edit: Now I can boot mac os x via Chameleon.

I suspect that the kext located in my EFi partition are not being loaded.

How can I make sure what kext were loaded?

Thanks

I did rebuild the extensions.mkext.

I'll delete the AppleIntelCpuManagement.kext from the leopard directory and will remake the mkext file.

Edit: Now I can boot mac os x via Chameleon.

I suspect that the kext located in my EFi partition are not being loaded.

How can I make sure what kext were loaded?

Thanks

Does anyone know how to change resolution to 1440x900 using Intel 4500MHD graphics card?

Thanks

After some tinkering, i still can't get Dual Displays with the lid closed working. If i try from boot, the system shows the desktop loading for a moment, then sleeps. From sleep, it cannot be woken by keyboard or mouse no matter how many times i try. Anyone have any success with this or have any ideas?