[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

No I havent got Sleep/Shutdown/Restart to work yet. It is next on my list though! Gave up on the Intel 5100 wireless, ordered a new Dell 1397 today to replace it with.

Got bluetooth working now as well, check out this new kext http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1239975

Got volume control to almost work, mute still doesnt work though. Havent got a SD card at home to test the reader with, does it show up in system profile if you havent got a card in it?

Just a quick note to say that I have gotten most things working on my e6500 now in Snow Leopard apart from the Wireless.

I followed this guide, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954 and then I used kexthelper b7 to install the kexts in this thread.

Most of the kexts out there for our hardware does not have 64bit support yet. so to get trackpad, audio etc working I had to boot using the 32bit kernel.

Did you follow all of the DSDT guide stuff in those guides? If so, do you still need to use the kext's in this thread? I thought adding all your hardware to DSDT was supposed to take care of all of that...

Did you follow all of the DSDT guide stuff in those guides? If so, do you still need to use the kext's in this thread? I thought adding all your hardware to DSDT was supposed to take care of all of that...

No I didnt. Used a EFI string to get graphics to work. But then found out that OpenGL wasnt working so I ended up switching to natit which fixed it. Couldnt get sound to work with EFI strings so I had to use VoodooHDA. To fix the volume control I selected the Analog PCM as the Output in the Systems Preferences so I can now change the volume with the keyboard (mouse does not work though).

Going to try to get Ethernet to work with only a EFI string just as a test. Had to reinstall my whole system as I had formated the hard drive as GPT since I was under the impression Vista SP1 supported it. Whilst it technically does support it, it only works on EFI PCs, so my BIOS based motherboard would not install onto it.

No I didnt. Used a EFI string to get graphics to work. But then found out that OpenGL wasnt working so I ended up switching to natit which fixed it. Couldnt get sound to work with EFI strings so I had to use VoodooHDA. To fix the volume control I selected the Analog PCM as the Output in the Systems Preferences so I can now change the volume with the keyboard (mouse does not work though).

Going to try to get Ethernet to work with only a EFI string just as a test. Had to reinstall my whole system as I had formated the hard drive as GPT since I was under the impression Vista SP1 supported it. Whilst it technically does support it, it only works on EFI PCs, so my BIOS based motherboard would not install onto it.

Would you mind posting the KEXTs you're using with SL? I've spent the past 3 days trying to get a working SL system from retail with varying amounts of luck. I'd really appreciate the favor.

Also, if you're using the guide you posted, I'm assuming you're using Chameleon 2.0 RC1, PC_EFI v10.1 from the system drive (not EFI partition)? If so, did you run into any problems with Safe Boot? For a while, I had a system booting, but it was always booting into Safe Boot and I couldn't figure out why.

Would you mind posting the KEXTs you're using with SL? I've spent the past 3 days trying to get a working SL system from retail with varying amounts of luck. I'd really appreciate the favor.

Also, if you're using the guide you posted, I'm assuming you're using Chameleon 2.0 RC1, PC_EFI v10.1 from the system drive (not EFI partition)? If so, did you run into any problems with Safe Boot? For a while, I had a system booting, but it was always booting into Safe Boot and I couldn't figure out why.

Hi, yes when I had a working system I was running everything from one partition (kext, boot etc). I actually used Chameleon RC2 as I downloaded it by accident and it worked fine for me so I never downgraded. Need PC_EFI though on top of that to boot SL.

I was forced to reformat my whole hard drive as I stupidly thought I could reinstall Vista on a spare GPT partition (need for work). So I am redoing it now, but this time I am using a seperate partition for Chameleon and my kexts. I am struggling a bit to be honest as they wont all load from there for some reason. I also did a backup of all my kexts from my working install, however I dont really understand why but I had a look at the memory stick I copied my whole /System/Library/Extension folder to and they only contains the kexts starting with the letter A. However I have a pretty good memory of where I got everything from. So I am literally reinstall them all now and will post them here when I have it all up and working again. I even have Shutdown/Restart working now which I didnt before, however still no sleep.

Update: Ok got almost everything working now. Here is my Extra folder which i have on a separate partition with Chameleon on. Please note it includes some kexts from SL (/S/L/E) which is needed as dependencies for some of the kexts, in the future after a software upgrade you might need to copy them from /S/L/E to the /E/E folder).

However my shutdown/restart has stopped working again! I have however tracked the cause down to the graphics, regardless if I use my EFI string or NVinjectGo it will hang. If I remove both though so I get the standard 1024x768 then it shuts down/reboots fine. Anyone got a fix for this? Will look at Sleep now. Here is my summery so far,

Quadro NVS 160M 256: YES (Using either a EFI string or NVinjectGo)

Bluetooth: YES

Wifi (Intel 5100 a/g/n): NO (Ordered a Dell 1397 which I have been told works out of the box)

Sound: YES

LAN : YES

KeyBoard: YES (32 bit only)

KB BackLight and Screen Auto-Luminosity: YES

TouchPad: YES

TrackPad: YES

BatteryIndicator: YES

Sleep: NO

Shutdown/Restart: NO (Works if graphics are disabled)

DVD-RW: YES

FireWire: YES

Motherboard Chipset: YES

USB: Yes

So only really Sleep/Shutdown/Reboot I have to fix now. Also I dont know if this is normal but my graphics doesnt actually say if it supports QE or CI in the System Profile, it is not even displayed there as either Supported or Not. However XBench does successfully display the patterns on the QE and OpenGL test, does that mean it is actually working?

Fredde87_ExtraFolder.tar.gz

quick update: vga out out on the laptop does not work with Natit. Anyone test this with NVinjectGo?

Have not tested the VGA port on the dock yet. DVI works fine. Have not tested displayport yet either.

Shutting and opening the lid when undocked does sleep and wake the machine.

Thanks for posting that, although I still feel like I'm beating my head against a wall with SL. What install method did you use? OSInstall.mpkg or a HD restore? And where did you get your gaphics EFI string? I imagine I'll need to change that.

Thanks for posting that, although I still feel like I'm beating my head against a wall with SL. What install method did you use? OSInstall.mpkg or a HD restore? And where did you get your gaphics EFI string? I imagine I'll need to change that.

Hi, you generate the EFI string yourself. You can use mine, its for a Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M 256mb. All you specifiy is the PCI port it is on and the memory size (plus a name) and it generates a string for you. See this guide if you want to do it yourself, http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html

Just do the GFX part, I tried Audio and Ethernet and it doesnt work on the e6500.

Remember to boot in 32bit as a few of the kexts dont support 64bit yet. I used the OSInstall.mpkg method (see my post a page or two ago for the guide I used).

What is it that is not working for you? If it is boot then try to create your own dsdt.adl, however mine should work for you as well. Rememeber to add the CMOS fix when you create yours. If you get random KP, then redo all the permissions on your kext folders, both chmod 755 and chown.

Hi, you generate the EFI string yourself. You can use mine, its for a Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M 256mb. All you specifiy is the PCI port it is on and the memory size (plus a name) and it generates a string for you. See this guide if you want to do it yourself, http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html

Just do the GFX part, I tried Audio and Ethernet and it doesnt work on the e6500.

Remember to boot in 32bit as a few of the kexts dont support 64bit yet. I used the OSInstall.mpkg method (see my post a page or two ago for the guide I used).

What is it that is not working for you? If it is boot then try to create your own dsdt.adl, however mine should work for you as well. Rememeber to add the CMOS fix when you create yours. If you get random KP, then redo all the permissions on your kext folders, both chmod 755 and chown.

Thanks for all your help! I'm posting from Snow Leopard now. Just need to work out the video card and sleep when I get home. Turns out after I copied PC_EFI over to my boot partition, it needed to be chmod'ed to 755 to make it executable... strange. Never seen that in a guide, but after KPs at startup every time I happened to click the file in Finder (instead of dealing with it from the command line like I usually do) and noticed it was a 'text file,' not an executable. Somebody needs to hack the Chameleon installer pkg to include PC_EFI v10.1!

I was able to get graphics working using NVinject 0.2.1 installed directly into /S/L/E last night. Fredde, I tried your EFI string, but whenever the system should have gone to the desktop it just killed the display completely--not even a 'resolution out of range'-style black screen. Performance seems quite a bit better than before I had it installed, and I'm getting translucent menu bar and everything, but it looks like System Profiler doesn't show QE/CI anymore... ?

Still no joy with SleepEnabler, although that seems to be fairly common around these parts with 10.6. I'll keep hacking away.

as chad has dicovered and a note to others, be aware not all graphics drivers or enablers are optimal. I am having greatsucess with NVinject in S/L/E and I think I choose an 8600GS chipset. I have the translucent menu bar and most importantly flash videos play back in HD mode smoothly. Previously with EFI injection system enabler would report CI/QE were enabled but youtube HD playback would be jittery. With NVinject this hasn't been the case. YMMV.

The NVInjectGO might even be better, never tried it

Can you directly install 10.6 now? What are KEXTS you have to install once 10.6 Retail is installed?

Look at Fredde's post a page or so back with a .zip file. Those are the KEXTs you need for an E6400/6500. I followed the same guide he mentioned—Chameleon on a separate partition, etc. I used DSDT Utility to get my DSDT file. His EFI string for graphics didn't work for me (since he's an E6500, and I'm an E6400, I'm guessing) so I used NVinject, which has been working great for me. Still no sleep for me though.

I skimmed over the posts and it seems like no one has (as of yet) gotten sleep and video working at the same time, is that the case? I am still running 10.5.6 with the voodoo kernel since it is the only way I could get video and sleep working at the same time, and both are 100% mandatory for me. It doesn't look like apple has released the sources for the kernel yet, so it looks like a new voodoo kernel is not an option yet.

I skimmed over the posts and it seems like no one has (as of yet) gotten sleep and video working at the same time, is that the case? I am still running 10.5.6 with the voodoo kernel since it is the only way I could get video and sleep working at the same time, and both are 100% mandatory for me. It doesn't look like apple has released the sources for the kernel yet, so it looks like a new voodoo kernel is not an option yet.

Look back a page - I managed to get it working under 10.5.7, and I thought someone reported success under 10.5.8. I don't have a reason to upgrade to SL yet, so I'm staying put with sleep + CI/QE under 10.5.7

Just a quick note to say that I have gotten most things working on my e6500 now in Snow Leopard apart from the Wireless.

I followed this guide, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954 and then I used kexthelper b7 to install the kexts in this thread.

Most of the kexts out there for our hardware does not have 64bit support yet. so to get trackpad, audio etc working I had to boot using the 32bit kernel.

Freede,

Could you pls exactly which steps you have followed? In there it says to find EFI ID and others. Thanks!

Look at Fredde's post a page or so back with a .zip file. Those are the KEXTs you need for an E6400/6500. I followed the same guide he mentioned�"Chameleon on a separate partition, etc. I used DSDT Utility to get my DSDT file. His EFI string for graphics didn't work for me (since he's an E6500, and I'm an E6400, I'm guessing) so I used NVinject, which has been working great for me. Still no sleep for me though.

I don't see any zip file posted by Fred.. How do you use the NVinject?

Hi, yes when I had a working system I was running everything from one partition (kext, boot etc). I actually used Chameleon RC2 as I downloaded it by accident and it worked fine for me so I never downgraded. Need PC_EFI though on top of that to boot SL.

I was forced to reformat my whole hard drive as I stupidly thought I could reinstall Vista on a spare GPT partition (need for work). So I am redoing it now, but this time I am using a seperate partition for Chameleon and my kexts. I am struggling a bit to be honest as they wont all load from there for some reason. I also did a backup of all my kexts from my working install, however I dont really understand why but I had a look at the memory stick I copied my whole /System/Library/Extension folder to and they only contains the kexts starting with the letter A. However I have a pretty good memory of where I got everything from. So I am literally reinstall them all now and will post them here when I have it all up and working again. I even have Shutdown/Restart working now which I didnt before, however still no sleep.

Update: Ok got almost everything working now. Here is my Extra folder which i have on a separate partition with Chameleon on. Please note it includes some kexts from SL (/S/L/E) which is needed as dependencies for some of the kexts, in the future after a software upgrade you might need to copy them from /S/L/E to the /E/E folder).

However my shutdown/restart has stopped working again! I have however tracked the cause down to the graphics, regardless if I use my EFI string or NVinjectGo it will hang. If I remove both though so I get the standard 1024x768 then it shuts down/reboots fine. Anyone got a fix for this? Will look at Sleep now. Here is my summery so far,

Quadro NVS 160M 256: YES (Using either a EFI string or NVinjectGo)

Bluetooth: YES

Wifi (Intel 5100 a/g/n): NO (Ordered a Dell 1397 which I have been told works out of the box)

Sound: YES

LAN : YES

KeyBoard: YES (32 bit only)

KB BackLight and Screen Auto-Luminosity: YES

TouchPad: YES

TrackPad: YES

BatteryIndicator: YES

Sleep: NO

Shutdown/Restart: NO (Works if graphics are disabled)

DVD-RW: YES

FireWire: YES

Motherboard Chipset: YES

USB: Yes

So only really Sleep/Shutdown/Reboot I have to fix now. Also I dont know if this is normal but my graphics doesnt actually say if it supports QE or CI in the System Profile, it is not even displayed there as either Supported or Not. However XBench does successfully display the patterns on the QE and OpenGL test, does that mean it is actually working?

Fredde87_ExtraFolder.tar.gz should be OK for E6400 w/nvidia 160M right?

Also your boot.plist shows "arch=x86"? I thought it should be "arch=i386"

Yeah read a mixture of things, some people say i386, some say x86 and some say -x32, all seem to work though so I just left it on the first one that did it for me.

I just checked and the guide I posted before has been updated since I did it. I basically did the following steps, 1-2, 3b (Install from Mac OS X 10.6 DVD, there seems to be two steps called 3b), 4-6. Skip the part about EFI strings (EFI Studio/EFI XML) as others have said you will probably end up using NVinject for graphics. Use my dsdt.aml file I posted in my zip file as it should be identical to yours. There is a link in that guide though to another one explaining how to create your own if you want to.

coolguy1: Are you just trying to copy the whole image to your usb drive? If so it wont work as FAT doesnt support files over ~4gb. Format it as something else or use Disk Utility to extra the image onto your usb drive.

Also, Fredde's EFI string for graphics didn't work for me. I was doing some other reading online, and it turns out that the 160M in the E6500 is actually different than the 160M in the 6400. :D

I used NVinject 0.2.1, the same one I was using in 10.5.6, and my graphics work fine. Unfortunately, I had to install it in /S/L/E because I couldn't find all the dependencies and I'm lazy, but if someone figures out how to get it working in /Extra I'd be interested.

Still no sleep or shutdown/restart for me.

Thanks Chad and Fredd. I am finally inside OSX 10.6!! YAYYYYY!!

I used Fredds, EFI ID in boot.pl file and it worked fine for me too! But, like he pointed out already.. "Also I dont know if this is normal but my graphics doesnt actually say if it supports QE or CI in the System Profile, it is not even displayed there as either Supported or Not."

Only thing pending are to find KEXTS for:

- Dell 1394 Wireless b/g card

- Dell Wireless Broadband 5720 (Sprint)

Hopefully Sleep/Shutdown/Restart will be resolved, it is really big issue. Since when I power-off directly, the BIOS for some reason does some extra steps and dont boot until 5-6 mins :) . Do you guys have this problem too?

Coolguy1, i've never actually let mine hang that long. After OSX shuts down (maybe 30 seconds), i just hard power off. Also, I have OSX seeing the GFX card correctly - it's able to push out the correct display settings for whatever monitor - and all the ranges in between. However, the system is clearly NOT using it for graphics. All the animations (Dock Expose, Spaces, etc) feel sluggish and jittery - the way it feels when the system isn't using the GFX card for accelerated graphics. I tried EFI strings, and NVinject - neither have worked sucessfully(in giving me fluid animations). Ideas?

Hopefully Sleep/Shutdown/Restart will be resolved, it is really big issue. Since when I power-off directly, the BIOS for some reason does some extra steps and dont boot until 5-6 mins :( . Do you guys have this problem too?

Go check inside your BIOS settings... I don't remember what the option's called, but it's something along the lines of "quick boot." Make sure it's on.

Coolguy1, i've never actually let mine hang that long. After OSX shuts down (maybe 30 seconds), i just hard power off. Also, I have OSX seeing the GFX card correctly - it's able to push out the correct display settings for whatever monitor - and all the ranges in between. However, the system is clearly NOT using it for graphics. All the animations (Dock Expose, Spaces, etc) feel sluggish and jittery - the way it feels when the system isn't using the GFX card for accelerated graphics. I tried EFI strings, and NVinject - neither have worked sucessfully(in giving me fluid animations). Ideas?

I used the EFI string from Freed, all the animations are working fine for me.

Try his EFI Sting from com.apple.boot.list, smbios.plist, dsdt.aml located here: Fredde87_ExtraFolder.tar.gz