[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

After some tinkering, i still can't get Dual Displays with the lid closed working. If i try from boot, the system shows the desktop loading for a moment, then sleeps. From sleep, it cannot be woken by keyboard or mouse no matter how many times i try. Anyone have any success with this or have any ideas?

Which version are u using? if 10.6.0 I have the dual screens working, with the internal monitor and one external.

The sleep doesn't work for me, but I have trackpad and touchpad working as well with working sound and microphone, and the sound controller slider working as well.

There is two remaining things only; shutdown/sleep/restart issue and the two external monitors, if its possible...

Which version are u using? if 10.6.0 I have the dual screens working, with the internal monitor and one external.

The sleep doesn't work for me, but I have trackpad and touchpad working as well with working sound and microphone, and the sound controller slider working as well.

There is two remaining things only; shutdown/sleep/restart issue and the two external monitors, if its possible...

I've got 10.6.1 and have the same setup as others earlier in the forum. I can do dual screens with the internal screen up, but i have 2 external monitors connected to my dock at work that i'd rather use. If you go with the extra folder that ponjop posted earlier, you can sleep and have the trackpad, wireless, et al working just fine. I haven't found too much info floating out there about doing this - and i'm surprised that more people don't want to output 2 monitors with their internal one closed. The one forum that i did find that had done it, had done it through EFI Strings - which is effectively what we're doing. (Chameleon RC3 w/ Graphics Detect enabled)

I've got 10.6.1 and have the same setup as others earlier in the forum. I can do dual screens with the internal screen up, but i have 2 external monitors connected to my dock at work that i'd rather use. If you go with the extra folder that ponjop posted earlier, you can sleep and have the trackpad, wireless, et al working just fine. I haven't found too much info floating out there about doing this - and i'm surprised that more people don't want to output 2 monitors with their internal one closed. The one forum that i did find that had done it, had done it through EFI Strings - which is effectively what we're doing. (Chameleon RC3 w/ Graphics Detect enabled)

If i right the OSX knows natively the dual external monitors only if the second one has been connected to the mini DVI connector. So that means for me, we do have chance to get it work, but it will be a bit more tricky:)

I'll check ponjop's folder now, thanks for the hint.

Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler switch enables the 160M and full support for multiple displays. So far, those of us that DO have multiple display HAVE onboard LCD and one given external. The idea as Doomi and I have been searching for is to get dual EXTERNAL displays working with the lid shut, without it going to sleep. So far we've both been unsuccessful, as every time we close the lid (even from boot) it falls asleep. Insomnia doesn't load correctly, either. I have yet to make it work.

While I do have sleep working fine, I would like to get SpeedStep enabled too so I can have longer battery life. 3 hours isn't bad, but with a 9-cell battery, in native Windows and Linux I get 5+ hours with minimal load. How can I go about getting the IDs for my system using lspci? What would I be looking for to add to the plist? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I also have a feeling that, if we can get SpeedStep working, we may solve the shutdown/restart problem. I'll start playing with it next week.

Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler switch enables the 160M and full support for multiple displays. So far, those of us that DO have multiple display HAVE onboard LCD and one given external. The idea as Doomi and I have been searching for is to get dual EXTERNAL displays working with the lid shut, without it going to sleep. So far we've both been unsuccessful, as every time we close the lid (even from boot) it falls asleep. Insomnia doesn't load correctly, either. I have yet to make it work.

While I do have sleep working fine, I would like to get SpeedStep enabled too so I can have longer battery life. 3 hours isn't bad, but with a 9-cell battery, in native Windows and Linux I get 5+ hours with minimal load. How can I go about getting the IDs for my system using lspci? What would I be looking for to add to the plist? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I also have a feeling that, if we can get SpeedStep working, we may solve the shutdown/restart problem. I'll start playing with it next week.

How the sleep works for you? When I click on the sleep, it goes down for a sec and came back after a beep. Once when the mac is back, I do lose the network as the en0 interface disappeared. I'm using the extra folder what ponjob gave.

The other thing: THere is a team who works on the intel 5100 cards driver:

http://emceesforum.com/

I hope there will be a public beta soon:)

I'm pretty sure i have speed step working....my 9 cell gets me somewhere around 5 hours of life in OSX.

There is a SL compile of Insomnia, and i have gotten it to work - but the problem remains, it still outputs to the INTERNAL display,even with the lid closed.

I;ve just played a bit with the dual screens and here is something which is interesting:

in the dock we have 2 DVIs and an analog.

If I plug a monitor to the DVI1 that works. If I plug an other monitor to the DVI2, it got nothing.

If I plug a DVI1+analog, all the external monitors go away.

I'm jsut playing abit with the combinations to see if anything changes.

I;ve just played a bit with the dual screens and here is something which is interesting:

in the dock we have 2 DVIs and an analog.

If I plug a monitor to the DVI1 that works. If I plug an other monitor to the DVI2, it got nothing.

If I plug a DVI1+analog, all the external monitors go away.

I'm jsut playing abit with the combinations to see if anything changes.

I don't think changing the combination will change anything. I think the issue comes down to the fact that our graphics card can only drive two monitors at any given time (windows or OSX). In windows, we can close the lid, and windows disables that monitor and allows us to drive to externally. In OSX, we close the lid and it sleeps - so we run Insomnia to prevent that, and the monitor never disables. We need to get OSX to either a) wake from sleep with a mouse and keyboard(which normal macs can do - for this very purpose) or ;) get it to stop displaying to the internal monitor, thereby freeing it up to go to the 2nd monitor.

I don't think changing the combination will change anything. I think the issue comes down to the fact that our graphics card can only drive two monitors at any given time (windows or OSX). In windows, we can close the lid, and windows disables that monitor and allows us to drive to externally. In OSX, we close the lid and it sleeps - so we run Insomnia to prevent that, and the monitor never disables. We need to get OSX to either a) wake from sleep with a mouse and keyboard(which normal macs can do - for this very purpose) or ;) get it to stop displaying to the internal monitor, thereby freeing it up to go to the 2nd monitor.

Basically I don't care about the lid. It can be open as well, we would need an application or driver which disables the internal monitor in case you start it and enables the second one somehow. I agree our card can't handle 3 monitors, but why the OSX doesn't disable it when it works with Native macbooks? Is is a restriction of the chameleon video driver?

Basically I don't care about the lid. It can be open as well, we would need an application or driver which disables the internal monitor in case you start it and enables the second one somehow. I agree our card can't handle 3 monitors, but why the OSX doesn't disable it when it works with Native macbooks? Is is a restriction of the chameleon video driver?

I don't think so. I think OSX is seeing the NVM 160 perfectly. If i had to guess, i'd say it is a limitation of the ClamshellDisplay.kext not properly disabling the monitor when it closes (because the only reason i can figure the monitor disables when i close the lid is because the system is sleeping)

I don't think so. I think OSX is seeing the NVM 160 perfectly. If i had to guess, i'd say it is a limitation of the ClamshellDisplay.kext not properly disabling the monitor when it closes (because the only reason i can figure the monitor disables when i close the lid is because the system is sleeping)

I'm after a reinstall now:) THe only thing I have done is to re-copy my extra folder to the original place and the only thing which is different is the sleep. I don't know why, but when I close the lid the system still up..

So i can confirm with a closed lid, you don't even have 2 monitors:(

How the sleep works for you? When I click on the sleep, it goes down for a sec and came back after a beep. Once when the mac is back, I do lose the network as the en0 interface disappeared. I'm using the extra folder what ponjob gave.

I'm not sure, honestly. I've effectively re-built my machine from scratch. Since doing so and successfully getting sleep working again, I have no issues with lid-up or lid-down sleeping. I'd say double-check your kexts to see if anything could be conflicting.

I'm not sure, honestly. I've effectively re-built my machine from scratch. Since doing so and successfully getting sleep working again, I have no issues with lid-up or lid-down sleeping. I'd say double-check your kexts to see if anything could be conflicting.

From scratch ? Cool. So, what's working and not on your E6400, now ? Mind sharing you extra folder ?

I'm having problem getting native resolution on my Intel 4500MHD and Etherent connection

on Intel 82567.

I'm using Intel8256MM kext and my mac detects my card the problem is that i'm getting invalid ip address starting with 169.

Has anyone managed to have a working Etherent and native resolution on mac os x 10.5.7 vanilla?

If so, please share what you did.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

I'm having problem getting native resolution on my Intel 4500MHD and Etherent connection

on Intel 82567.

I'm using Intel8256MM kext and my mac detects my card the problem is that i'm getting invalid ip address starting with 169.

Has anyone managed to have a working Etherent and native resolution on mac os x 10.5.7 vanilla?

If so, please share what you did.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

THe 169.... ip is the buit-in ip in case there is no available dhcp server. Have you tried to setup manual ip addressing on your ethernet? I presume the manual ip wont be available from the rest of the network but it would be a good test.

I guess the ethernet card doesn't work properly but cant see the relation with the graphics resolution.

THe 169.... ip is the buit-in ip in case there is no available dhcp server. Have you tried to setup manual ip addressing on your ethernet? I presume the manual ip wont be available from the rest of the network but it would be a good test.

I guess the ethernet card doesn't work properly but cant see the relation with the graphics resolution.

I'll try this option.

but I just wanted to know if this network card works for someone else who has Dell E6400.

The graphics resolution is not related to the LAN issue.

I just need to setup the native resolution and the LAN connectivity.

If there is someone who managed to have both native resolution and LAN working on Dell E6400/E6500

please let me know.

I'll try this option.

but I just wanted to know if this network card works for someone else who has Dell E6400.

The graphics resolution is not related to the LAN issue.

I just need to setup the native resolution and the LAN connectivity.

If there is someone who managed to have both native resolution and LAN working on Dell E6400/E6500

please let me know.

Actually mine is running the same as almost everybody's in here. Chameleon graphics enabler = yes, that makes the 1440*900 native resolution and with that you still have network...but as far as I know you will lose the restart/shutdown...

Otherwise you can try to solve the problem with efi string... I had never luck with that..

Btw, has anybody solved the shutdown/reboot with chameleon identified graphic card?

Actually mine is running the same as almost everybody's in here. Chameleon graphics enabler = yes, that makes the 1440*900 native resolution and with that you still have network...but as far as I know you will lose the restart/shutdown...

Otherwise you can try to solve the problem with efi string... I had never luck with that..

Btw, has anybody solved the shutdown/reboot with chameleon identified graphic card?

Are you running mac os x 10.5.7 vanilla?

I'll try the Chameleon graphics enabler = yes option.

Did you assign a static IP? or the DHCP server works for you?

Thanks

Hi All,

I try to follow this guide. But i have a question that hope someone can help me.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

According to the PDF guide, the step 3, are you running the OSX (Leopard) from the same machine in order to prepare the installation for SL? I confuse, because from the partition that show earlier part in the PDF, i did not see the original Leopard partition.

thank.

Native resolution Mac os x 10.5.8

has anyone managed to setup a native resolution on 10.5.8?

if so please upload the 3100FB.kext

I encountered this error when the 3100FB got loaded:

loaded version 1.7.3 of module com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily differs from requested version 1.7.3

(UUIDs differ)

how do I solve it?

thanks

Are you running mac os x 10.5.7 vanilla?

I'll try the Chameleon graphics enabler = yes option.

Did you assign a static IP? or the DHCP server works for you?

Thanks

No, im running on 10.6.1 with graphicsenabler and dhcp assigned IP through a belkin usb wifi..but the built-in lan works as well.

From scratch ? Cool. So, what's working and not on your E6400, now ? Mind sharing you extra folder ?

Vanilla (99%, only a few modified kexts) Mac OS 10.6.1. I'm trying to keep my system as vanilla as possible, because it works just fine as it is. Everything loads from Extra via Chameleon, except for SleepEnabler, IOUSBFamily and ClamShellDisplay.

My Extra folder: http://timmins.net/~calaverx11/CalaverX11Extra.zip

My most recent rundown:

- 3D accel/QE/CI/etc. (GraphicsEnabler)

- Audio I/O (VoodooHDA)

- Keyboard, Trackpad, Touchstick (minus scrolling)

- Lid sleep (ClamShellDisplay, SleepEnabler, IOUSBFamily)

- WiFi (Dell 1510)

- Ethernet (Intel, no sleep)

- Battery power (~3.5 hours on full charge)

- eSATA (See below)

- Camera

- Sprint 5720 Mobile Broadband (install Sprint SmartView from sprint.com/downloads, any Novatel device)

- Bluetooth (DellBluetoothHCI)

- IEEE-1394

eSATA works by plugging in a drive and applying power at boot, before the OS loads, OR by plugging in and applying power to the device, the sleeping/waking the machine. OS X recognizes it as an external drive, but knows it's not USB as it shows up in the SATA device chain in System Profiler.

Still not working:

- PC Card slot

- SDHC; I see people have this working...HOW?

- Shutdown/restart

Vanilla (99%, only a few modified kexts) Mac OS 10.6.1. I'm trying to keep my system as vanilla as possible, because it works just fine as it is. Everything loads from Extra via Chameleon, except for SleepEnabler, IOUSBFamily and ClamShellDisplay.

My Extra folder: http://timmins.net/~calaverx11/CalaverX11Extra.zip

My most recent rundown:

- 3D accel/QE/CI/etc. (GraphicsEnabler)

- Audio I/O (VoodooHDA)

- Keyboard, Trackpad, Touchstick (minus scrolling)

- Lid sleep (ClamShellDisplay, SleepEnabler, IOUSBFamily)

- WiFi (Dell 1510)

- Ethernet (Intel, no sleep)

- Battery power (~3.5 hours on full charge)

- eSATA (See below)

- Camera

- Sprint 5720 Mobile Broadband (install Sprint SmartView from sprint.com/downloads, any Novatel device)

- Bluetooth (DellBluetoothHCI)

- IEEE-1394

eSATA works by plugging in a drive and applying power at boot, before the OS loads, OR by plugging in and applying power to the device, the sleeping/waking the machine. OS X recognizes it as an external drive, but knows it's not USB as it shows up in the SATA device chain in System Profiler.

Still not working:

- PC Card slot

- SDHC; I see people have this working...HOW?

- Shutdown/restart

Thanks,

Could you please writea brief description about each kext?

I don't know if i need all ofthem.

thanks