Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

This may seem like a super noob questions but....

I've been able to boot and install iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 many times.

I always get errors relating to nforceata (don't have exact errors tho they vary)

Now the noob part.... should I have patched my DVD with new nforceata ktexts?

Really noob part.... from my understanding after an install... if I can't get the initial boot i have three options

1. Install all over again

2. Use install DVD to replace needed ktexts

3. Use win/MacDrive to replace needed ktexts

meaning that once I've installed the first time.. I just need to play with all my ktext until my hardware works with the kernel?

I've tried iDeneb with stageXNU and older kernels

also with new and old nforceata's

Back to the question... that's the general procedure correct?

Do you get a "still waiting for root device error" and/or "IOATAController blocking bus." and/or "SAM MEDIA READ / WRITE failed" error?

The general procedure is to:

1. Confirm you have the correct BIOS settings

2. Use a USB keyboard and USB mouse (wired preferably to avoid the need for special drivers)

3. Partition and format your OS X volume as Master Boot Record (MBR) and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

4. Check that you can boot off the Install DVD and install OS X without error, using -v enabling any boot error messages to be reported, e.g. do you get a "still waiting for root device error" and/or "IOATAController blocking bus." and/or "SAM MEDIA READ / WRITE failed" error on booting from the iDeneb DVD?

What errors do you get when booting from the OS X system on your HDD after installation.....?

5. Initially install without video, audio and network drivers unless you know 100% that the DVD has the correct drivers (kexts typically) for your video, audio and network device chipsets....

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have never gotten "still waiting for root device" or "IOATAController blocking bus"

I have seen "SAM MEDIA READ/WRITE failed" - Can't remember when or why... Probably was experimenting with different nforceata.ktext

But to answer your questions

1. BIOS correct (used your .gif on page 1)

2. Using USB keyboard and mouse

3. I've been partitioning with non MBR (maybe this is my problem)

4. I can boot off DVD and install perfectly, on restart (initial boot of osx) is where i get errors

- I am at work so I can't confirm exact errors (will do during my lunch break in 30 min)

I believe most errors on initial boot (after clean install) dealt with the "...has dependencies on both apple.something.something and apple.somethingelse.somethingelse"

This has shown its head at different stages of the boot and for different hardware....

Like I said I'll get pics and error messages shortly....

5. This is mainly what I don't understand.... If i manually install the ktext later using Darwin... what do I put the new ktexts on? Must I apply then to a DVD image then burn it and install from there? USB install?

I can boot the dvd and install... how do I update ktext for hardware 1 by 1 post install? I know I have to identify the problem hardware first and then take action... but I don't understand the install process for installing *post* install ktexts

As always thanks for the invaluable help!

Nick

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have never gotten "still waiting for root device" or "IOATAController blocking bus"

I have seen "SAM MEDIA READ/WRITE failed" - Can't remember when or why... Probably was experimenting with different nforceata.ktext

But to answer your questions

1. BIOS correct (used your .gif on page 1)

2. Using USB keyboard and mouse

3. I've been partitioning with non MBR (maybe this is my problem)

4. I can boot off DVD and install perfectly, on restart (initial boot of osx) is where i get errors

- I am at work so I can't confirm exact errors (will do during my lunch break in 30 min)

I believe most errors on initial boot (after clean install) dealt with the "...has dependencies on both apple.something.something and apple.somethingelse.somethingelse"

This has shown its head at different stages of the boot and for different hardware....

Like I said I'll get pics and error messages shortly....

5. This is mainly what I don't understand.... If i manually install the ktext later using Darwin... what do I put the new ktexts on? Must I apply then to a DVD image then burn it and install from there? USB install?

I can boot the dvd and install... how do I update ktext for hardware 1 by 1 post install? I know I have to identify the problem hardware first and then take action... but I don't understand the install process for installing *post* install ktexts

As always thanks for the invaluable help!

Nick

The install DVD should have the nForceATA kexts on it........either original or nForce-test......so it depends on your Customize selections.......also after installation initially boot with -v -f........

There are various ways to post-install kexts......I can guide you on that.......we first need to sort out what errors you are getting on booting from the HDD installed system.....if it is a "SAM MEDIA READ/WRITE failed" error then choose nForceATATest in Customize when installing......

Yes I have tried both new and old nForceATA kexts. I have tried many boot flags.... I've tried those, cpus=1, -v -x (verbose,safe) and many others never been able to accomplish an initial boot. As I said before, I'll get you specifics shortly. I know its impossible to advise otherwise.

On my lunch break I plan to:

- triple check BIOS

- Clean install to IDE drive with MBR - Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5

- no kexts for video, network, audio

- will use non-test version (old version) of nForceATA and XNU kernel (I've seen many 680i's installed this way)

- not sure if i'll need any other fixes..... guess the error messages will tell me if I forgot to install any?

- boot and record messages

I'll get back to you with the results! I'm sure you're excited hehe...

Thanks for your patience

Nick

Here's what happened

Preface:

I didn't have a camera avaliable to take a few screen shots, and I know that is the best way to help you troubleshoot my problems with me. I am sorry about this inconvenience. I will try to be as detailed as possible in the process, and I am sorry if it gets a little long in parts.

About DVD-ROM used...

My BIOS was taking forever to detect my IDE HDD. I figured it was cable/jumper settings so I played with them. I switch both the HDD and IDE DVD-ROM to CABLE SELECT. Cable is connect at motherboard with (blue end plug) then to HDD (middle plug) then to DVD-ROM (end plug). My BIOS recognized both HDD and DVD-ROM immediately thereafter. Now I have tried getting my DVD-ROM(IDE) to boot, but at "boot cd:" it never boots and moves to booting off the HDD. My SATA DVD-ROM boots perfectly and this is the DVD-ROM I use for installs. That is I use my SATA DVD-ROM not my IDE for installs due to not being able to boot off the IDE DVD-ROM. The IDE DVD-ROM is an old one from work and might not work. I haven't tested it really. I know it will not boot a CD-ROM of Gparted either. But let me say again my SATA DVD works!

1st: I disconnected all drives but my IDE HDD, IDE DVD, and SATA DVD

I check all my bios settings and all seemed correct. (no lan, no second core, etc...)

2nd: I booted the iDeben v1.3 10.5.5 from my SATA DVD-ROM using "-v -f" and these are the notable things I saw in order:

ACPI System State [s0 S3 S4 S5]

Extension com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator has dependencies on both "com.apple.kernel" and "com.apple.kpi"

AppleNForceATA warning phy connection failed (It did detect 1 device. I believe it might have been my sata dvd-rom)

CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page p[41]

MSDResponder could not find host

I don't think any of them are too serious, because my dvd boots perfectly for installing.

3rd: DVD booted I first used Disk Manager to partition my drive. I chose 1 partition named it OSX and used Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I forgot to choose MBR, but I figured this might not be a problem since I only have 1 non-Windows drive plugged in at the moment. Let me know if I messed up here... sorry

I then moved to the customize menu and selected only two things: StageXNU 10.4 kernel and nForceATA (the non-test version)

It installed perfectly and asked me to restart.

4th: Now I'm booting off the new install on my IDE HDD. I used flags "-v -f" once again. Everything seemed to be loading better than it ever has before!

I noticed errors about the PCI drivers being used by both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi. These erros came early in the loading process, and everything continued to load without a pause.

Then the loading DID come to a pause

It was about 15 seconds into the loading of OSX and this is what it said:

Platform configurator Timed Out *waiting to write symbols* (put the last part in *...* b/c i'm not sure exactly how that was worded)

My monitor then lost signal and went black. The HDD was still being accessed, so I waited to see if my display would come back. I waited about 5 min. and the HDD light had mostly stopped blinking and my display

was still out. I think it actually loaded something b/c my power button wouldn't just turn the pc off as it would if I was in BIOS.

My monitor btw is an SAMSUNG LN40A550

Input Video Compatibility PC Input: Analog RGB

1080i/p, 720p, 480i/p

That is the end of my most recent install.

I think its my nvidia GFX card. I never installed those drivers. Might I try the forced resolution and color depth? If so what is the syntax for that again?

another note if it helps...

The supported resolutions for my HDTV are:

1360 x 768

1280 x 1024 (SXGA)

640 x 350

800 x 600 (SVGA)

1440 x 900

640 x 480 (VGA)

1024 x 768 (XGA)

other inputs:

480i

480p

720p

1080i

1080p

Vista displays 1080p on this HDTV with my eVGA 8800 GTS 512 (G92)

When I get back home I'm going to try and boot OSX using "-v Graphics Mode=1280x1024x32@60"

If I can boot using that then I can use MacDrive to update my kexts for my other devices.

Hopefully I am having a display problem and I will be able to boot using the command mentioned above.

If anyone has any pointers on an eVGA 680i board please feel free to comment

Thanks in advance

Nick

Hi there,

You are making progress!

IDE DVDROM should be set to Master and IDE HDD set to slave as you have done using Cable Select......you may be able to use IDE DVDROM if you set jumpers on it and HDD as Master and Slave......also turn off SMART HDD monitoring if enabled......

If the last part on boot screen was "OKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols" you should be OK.....

Try booting with -v -x -f to install a base set of kexts......should give you workable video......

then use Disk Utility to see how the OS X volume is partitioned.....I generally recommend MBR as it gives most users fewer problems and is better for multi-boot systems.....

If you do, then tell me what you see under System Profiler, Graphics/Displays.....

Then try

1. After rebooting by typing -s at the boot: prompt and waiting for the prompt

:/ root# to appear, type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for :/ root# to re-appear:

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext

followed finally by exit.

"logout" will then appear on screen followed by "Jettisoning kernel linker" and the rest of the verbose booting screen, resulting in successful booting into the OS X Welcome screen and music.....

2. The System Profiler shows under Graphics/Displays, 1024x768 resolution 32-bit Color depth and 32MB VRAM with Software Driven CI and QE Not Supported, and against Kernel Extension Info: No kext loaded

3. Then run the Mysticus nForce Drivers Installer Package.......to see if that gives you working CI/QE video.....for switchable resolutions on-the-fly, try swapping the monitor DVI or VGA (via VGA-to-DVI adapter) connector to the other DVI port on the GFX card.....

If NVdarwin does not give you working video then see here in this thread......and here......

I've tried booting with

-v -x -f

-v Graphics Mode=1280x1028x32@60

Both load pretty far... it seems like its trying to leave verbose mode and load a GUI. My screen goes out but my computer stays on and keeps loading things.

Here are a few screens. First one is when everything first loads and second one is right before the crash... a line comes up just before it crashes but i can't read that fast. If there is a mode to go line by line so i can read it please inform me.

p1000780tm3.jpg

w2560.png

p1000788za9.jpg

w800.png

Maybe attach a standard PC monitor?

I've tried booting with

-v -x -f

-v Graphics Mode=1280x1028x32@60

Both load pretty far... it seems like its trying to leave verbose mode and load a GUI. My screen goes out but my computer stays on and keeps loading things.

Here are a few screens. First one is when everything first loads and second one is right before the crash... a line comes up just before it crashes but i can't read that fast. If there is a mode to go line by line so i can read it please inform me.

p1000780tm3.jpg

w2560.png

p1000788za9.jpg

w800.png

Maybe attach a standard PC monitor?

Please list your iDeneb Customize selections........

I only selected StageXNU kernel i think its called.... and also seleced nForceATA - NOT the test one

Also the last line that appears before my screen blanks out says something along the lines of:

no profile found for network device <--- not exact words but meaning the same thing

I also tried to boot with only -v

I got the "waiting on root device error" that way.

Also having 8 Gb of ram installed a problem? Or is that an old problem?

That error goes away after booting in "-x" and then doing security mode, still won't boot without -x even after security update. Im having same EXACT problem.

I've been booting all along with -v -x -f and still get this message... I have no clue what to do now.

I only selected StageXNU kernel i think its called.... and also seleced nForceATA - NOT the test one

Also the last line that appears before my screen blanks out says something along the lines of:

no profile found for network device <--- not exact words but meaning the same thing

I also tried to boot with only -v

I got the "waiting on root device error" that way.

Also having 8 Gb of ram installed a problem? Or is that an old problem?

Based on iDeneb 10.5.4, iDeneb 10.5.5 choices would be similar....

Language Translations: Your choice

Additional Fonts: Your choice

X11: Select

AMD Patch: Not selected

Audio: Not selected

Chipset: AppleNForceATA-Test selected ONLY

Kernel: Stage XNU 9.4.0

Network:

- Ethernet: No selection (Realtek RTL8169 driver now integrated!)

- Wireless: No selection

Fix: No selections EXCEPT

- AppleSMBIOS: AppleSMBIOS Mac Pro

Video: No selections

Applications: Your choice

You need to initially delete video kexts as indicated earlier......i.e. no kext loaded, in order to put System into basic VESA mode

then boot with -v maxmem=2048 to avoid any RAM issues at this stage with 8GB RAM

It worked! I have booted into Leopard. Now to find out what kexts I need.

I looked into displays there is only one resolution there and thats it.

Where exactly is system profiler?

I looked under system preferences for the monitor... is this correct?

I will post a how to for installing with the evga 680i mb and intel soon... just in case there are any out there in my situation.

Anyways.. how can I find out what isn't installed correctly and what is?

I've found system profiler and you are correct there is no kext loaded for my video card.

Since the supplied kexts didnt work with my PC what would be the best ones for my board and video?

It worked! I have booted into Leopard. Now to find out what kexts I need.

I looked into displays there is only one resolution there and thats it.

Where exactly is system profiler?

I looked under system preferences for the monitor... is this correct?

I will post a how to for installing with the evga 680i mb and intel soon... just in case there are any out there in my situation.

Anyways.. how can I find out what isn't installed correctly and what is?

I've found system profiler and you are correct there is no kext loaded for my video card.

Since the supplied kexts didnt work with my PC what would be the best ones for my board and video?

Glad to help...... ;)

Suggest you first try using Mysticus C* nForce Drivers Installer (see post #1 in this thread).......it will install Voodoo Beta 2C but there is an installer for Voodoo 9.5.0 Kernel Release 1.0 Package (Rev A) you can run afterwards......but read Voodoo Kernel User Documentation too......

Mysticus C* nForce Drivers Installer will also install slashack nForceATA......also try NVdarwin option for your video......

post-200327-1228956814_thumb.gif

Okay installed the nForce updates. My internet is working perfectly, so is usb and everything else. The one problem I have is I can't change my resolution. Still only have one option for resolution. I installed NVdarwin and applied the correct patches. System profiler detects my 8800 GTS 512 perfectly. Here is what it says:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0600

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.4

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Like I said I can ONLY display 1024 x 768... there is no other option under displays.

Anyways thank you so much for your help. You are a very intellegent one! I would have never figured out my errors otherwise. I OWE you one! Oh and I will be writing a little "how to easy method worked for me" tutorial for 680i owners.

Thank you Verdant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick

Okay installed the nForce updates. My internet is working perfectly, so is usb and everything else. The one problem I have is I can't change my resolution. Still only have one option for resolution. I installed NVdarwin and applied the correct patches. System profiler detects my 8800 GTS 512 perfectly. Here is what it says:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0600

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.4

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Like I said I can ONLY display 1024 x 768... there is no other option under displays.

Anyways thank you so much for your help. You are a very intellegent one! I would have never figured out my errors otherwise. I OWE you one! Oh and I will be writing a little "how to easy method worked for me" tutorial for 680i owners.

Thank you Verdant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick

Glad to help...... :lol:

To get full CI/QE and more solutions with your 8800GTS 512MB GFX card, see here and here and here.....

Thanks for the reply.

I've been reading up on this, and I tried all last night to get it working.

I am using Krazubu's method (second link you gave me).

Only problem is... when I was having problems booting initially, you had me remove Geforce.kext Ge*.kext and NV*.kext.

I think the NV*.kext has deleted NVDANV50Hal and NVDAResman

I don't see them in the extensions folder..... I do see Geforce bundles (about 5) for all series in my extensions folder... should I delete these?

I know my device id and researched all this last night, but what creates those folders mentioned? Maybe I need to reinstall them and then I'll be able to edit them?

If it matters I am using a DVI --> VGA adapter for my card. My HDTV has VGA input for pc only. I also have a DVI ---> HDMI I COULD use if it matters.

Also, what are the benefits of EFI? I used a MBR partition table when I installed therefore I can't install EFI. Would there be an advantage going back and trying GUID and EFI? I don't mind reinstalling since you've shown me how to interpret the errors I've come across...

Thanks for the reply.

I've been reading up on this, and I tried all last night to get it working.

I am using Krazubu's method (second link you gave me).

Only problem is... when I was having problems booting initially, you had me remove Geforce.kext Ge*.kext and NV*.kext.

I think the NV*.kext has deleted NVDANV50Hal and NVDAResman

I don't see them in the extensions folder..... I do see Geforce bundles (about 5) for all series in my extensions folder... should I delete these?

I know my device id and researched all this last night, but what creates those folders mentioned? Maybe I need to reinstall them and then I'll be able to edit them?

If it matters I am using a DVI --> VGA adapter for my card. My HDTV has VGA input for pc only. I also have a DVI ---> HDMI I COULD use if it matters.

Also, what are the benefits of EFI? I used a MBR partition table when I installed therefore I can't install EFI. Would there be an advantage going back and trying GUID and EFI? I don't mind reinstalling since you've shown me how to interpret the errors I've come across...

You can use EFI with MBR.....

You do not delete the bundles and can download kexts here.....

DVI----->VGA adapter is no problem.......it is what I have to use......

Okay during lunch I did a fresh install just to be safe.

I never got the EFI loader to work for me.

Now I've got NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, and NVinject.kext from downloads

I've edited my device id in all three 0x060010de

I have one display so I wont need NVCAP

I will get home and place all three in the Extensions folder

Then I will repair permissions to all three.

Then Restart...

Is this right? Am I missing something?

Okay during lunch I did a fresh install just to be safe.

I never got the EFI loader to work for me.

Now I've got NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, and NVinject.kext from downloads

I've edited my device id in all three 0x060010de

I have one display so I wont need NVCAP

I will get home and place all three in the Extensions folder

Then I will repair permissions to all three.

Then Restart...

Is this right? Am I missing something?

Not that I can think of currently apart from setting IOProbescore in Info.plist from xxxxx to 0

1. Open the Info.plist of your injecter, e.g. NVinject.kext or NVdarwin.kext or NVkush.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/XXXXXXX.kext/Contents/Info.plist

2. Find this line

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>XXXX</integer>

3. Replace XXXX with 0

4. Save the new file to the desktop, move the file back and overwrite the original one. You will need to authenticate.

5. Fire up the terminal and type the following 3 lines to repair the permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

sudo chmod -R go-w /system/library/extensions

sudo rm /system/library/extensions.mkext

6. Exit and Reboot, QE/CI should be back.

......but it does seem that full CI/QE does seem to be elusive for some......

I know that some regard NVkush as better than NVinject or others recommend EFIStudio......

You are a saint. I'll let you know how everything goes

If you have the Asus SupremeFX audio card then Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer package should hopefully work...... :) Not relevant since different 680i MOBO.....

Sorry that you have not got your eVGA 8800 GTS 512 (G92) GFX card working with full resolutions,CI/QE yet........ :)

Its actually the realtek 885 onboard audio.

I've tried this method (link)

His board as listed is my exact same board.

Same vendor, device, subsystem (10ECE601), and revision 1001.

Inside the 885.text the subsystem id does not match 10ECE601 (its in all numbers in the 885 dump - base ?? not sure) and the revision says 100101.

The 10ECE601 is what Vista shows in device manager and rev 1001 as well.

Why does the dump have other values in it?

I try installing it using the appleHDA patcher v1.2, 1.8, 1.7 all with no luck.

System profiler says "no onboard audio" every time...

I'm lost... help?

Not that this applies to you, but my 8800GTS 512 (G92) works perfectly with the NVInject 0.2.1 drivers, no kext editing needed. In fact, they were installed right from the disk. However, if you are trying to use EFI strings for your graphics card then I cannot help as I haven't tried that yet on my desktop.

Its actually the realtek 885 onboard audio.

I've tried this method (link)

His board as listed is my exact same board.

Same vendor, device, subsystem (10ECE601), and revision 1001.

Inside the 885.text the subsystem id does not match 10ECE601 (its in all numbers in the 885 dump - base ?? not sure) and the revision says 100101.

The 10ECE601 is what Vista shows in device manager and rev 1001 as well.

Why does the dump have other values in it?

I try installing it using the appleHDA patcher v1.2, 1.8, 1.7 all with no luck.

System profiler says "no onboard audio" every time...

I'm lost... help?

Try using following procedure:

1. Get AppleHDAPatcher 1.20 and some ALC885 codec dumps I have collected from here.....

2. Unzip AppleHDAPatcher 1.20 to same folder you have put the ALC885 codec.txt files in BUT do not open the patcher by double-clicking on the icon......

3. Drag and drop the appropriate ALC885 codec.txt file onto the AppleHDA Patcher 1.20 icon......you will be prompted for your password....enter it....

4. Reboot with -v -f

5. Check that you have the required AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext in your /System/Library/Extensions folder.......if not install both using Kext Helper b7.....

Before going to step 2 some have run and installed AzaliaAudio package BUT not rebooted