Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

I got a SATA DVDRW but I'm only able to read DVD's...

I'm using the modified AppleNForceATA for 4GB...

I presume you have tried the MeDevil AppleNForceATATest.kext? (which will not allow RAM>3GB)

I have a GA-73PVM-S2H with nforce 630i and Core 2 quad Q6600 and 9800 GTX.

I tried using IAtkos v5i and i was successfull in installing it and i have an upgradable System.

I have 1 Sata hdd on which i have XP and one Pata hdd on which i have leopard and i have 1 PATA DVD-RW.In leopard i cannot

see the Sata drive and the performance on Pata hdd is very slow in leoaprd becuse UDMA is disable i guess.

Everything is working in my leopard except the performance of my hdd So CAN ANY ONE HELP ME OUT.

I tried AppleNforceAta but i think it is not supported.

Thyank you.

First check your BIOS settings against the BIOS template for 630i in post #1 of this thread.....

Suggest you try installing Voodoo Release Version v1.0 Rev_A kernel and use c1ramp=0 in your com.apple.Bootl.plist file too........and see if it helps...... :)

OK. Already downloaded the Voodoo Kernel... it would be nice to install it using OSx86Tools to make sure everything is gonna be OK?

And about the new command line, should I put it anywhere special or just in the same line as the debug one?

[]´s

EDIT

Hi mate. Installed the Kernel trough OSx86Tools and when rebooting, no way. System don´t boot anyway. I think I will have to restore the old kernel. In fact, no I´m in doubt about the procedure I did, because in OSx86Tools when it asks for the kernel to be installed, I choose the .DMG file I downloaded from the link you provide me. Is that right???

[]´s

OK. Already downloaded the Voodoo Kernel... it would be nice to install it using OSx86Tools to make sure everything is gonna be OK?

And about the new command line, should I put it anywhere special or just in the same line as the debug one?

[]´s

EDIT

Hi mate. Installed the Kernel trough OSx86Tools and when rebooting, no way. System don´t boot anyway. I think I will have to restore the old kernel. In fact, no I´m in doubt about the procedure I did, because in OSx86Tools when it asks for the kernel to be installed, I choose the .DMG file I downloaded from the link you provide me. Is that right???

[]´s

In same line as debug kernel flag.

No, the .dmg is in fact an OS X application installer program file already! Just download it in OS X and double-click on it, to open and run the installer!

In same line as debug kernel flag.

No, the .dmg is in fact an OS X application installer program file already! Just download it in OS X and double-click on it, to open and run the installer!

Hi mate.

Recovering the kernel or installing the Voodoo one via OSx86Tools, didn´t make any difference. System still unable to boot. But let´s no worry about it. My files are safe anyway. This partition is only system used.

I´m making a fresh install of OSX via Kalyway DVD 10.5.2 that I downloaded from Mysticus. All the updates files I have were provide by him too, so files are safe. I´d love to have your help installing it from the very beginning so we can do it in a way to avoid max amount of problems. If you have the time and patience, of course. By now I´ll try to recover my last kernel so I can boot my old system again.

[]´s

Hi mate.

Recovering the kernel or installing the Voodoo one via OSx86Tools, didn´t make any difference. System still unable to boot. But let´s no worry about it. My files are safe anyway. This partition is only system used.

I´m making a fresh install of OSX via Kalyway DVD 10.5.2 that I downloaded from Mysticus. All the updates files I have were provide by him too, so files are safe. I´d love to have your help installing it from the very beginning so we can do it in a way to avoid max amount of problems. If you have the time and patience, of course. By now I´ll try to recover my last kernel so I can boot my old system again.

[]´s

Suggest you follow my Kalyway 10.5.2 install guide in my blog...... :(

If you had installed Kalyway 10.5.2 originally (as assumed in example below), you could do as follows to get your system to boot with a working kernel......

Boot from a working OS X Install DVD and go to Terminal in Disk Utility.

In Terminal type what is in quotes (minus quotes) and press Enter after each line

"cd /Volumes/Name of HDD OS X volume/"

"ls"

ls will list the files in the root directory including kernel file(s) e.g. mach_kernel, nforcekernel, kabylkernel, modbinkernel, sleepkernel, etc.

"mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_dud"

mv renames mach_kernel to mach_kernel.dud

"mv nforcekernel mach_kernel"

mv renames nforcekernel to mach_kernel

"rm mach_kernel_dud"

rm removes mach_kernel.dud

"exit"

exit closes the Terminal session

Exit Disk Utility, Click Restart button in DVD Installer menu........the system should boot from the HDD successfully by loading nforcekernel (now named mach_kernel).....

If, when you installed ToH Sleep kernel, your working kernel was not removed but rather renamed, then the above procedure will allow you to rename your previous kernel as mach_kernel......

Hope this is clearly enough explained....... :(

EDIT: If you tried to install Voodoo kernel and OSx86Tools installed it , then it may be in the root directory / too.....

Mate, let´s forget about all that.

I´ll work only in the fresh install. If that one is problematic, why should we try to recover, right?

OK. Now I have a working partition with the fresh install of OS X from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD that´s working. The only thing I didn´t install from the DVD was network drivers (I use AppleUSBEthernet Adapter) the sound ( I have the correct file to make my soundcard works perfectly) and video (added the strings of my GFX card to the boot.plist).

What should we check now? Can I install the update 10.5.5 from Mysticus, or should I do something before that?

[]´s

Mate, let´s forget about all that.

I´ll work only in the fresh install. If that one is problematic, why should we try to recover, right?

OK. Now I have a working partition with the fresh install of OS X from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD that´s working. The only thing I didn´t install from the DVD was network drivers (I use AppleUSBEthernet Adapter) the sound ( I have the correct file to make my soundcard works perfectly) and video (added the strings of my GFX card to the boot.plist).

What should we check now? Can I install the update 10.5.5 from Mysticus, or should I do something before that?

[]´s

Before updating to 10.5.5 install all required driver kexts and check that all system functions are working OK including LAN, audio and video......

Before updating to 10.5.5 install all required driver kexts and check that all system functions are working OK including LAN, audio and video......

OK mate. Everything is working like a charm. System is running smooth now on 10.5.2 Kalyway with ToH 9.2.0 Kernel.

Audio: OK

LAN: OK

Video: OK

Should I install AppleNForceATA.kext by slashack now or should I update it first?

Right now I´m booting system using maxmem=2048 -v

Waiting on you.

[]´s

OK mate. Everything is working like a charm. System is running smooth now on 10.5.2 Kalyway with ToH 9.2.0 Kernel.

Audio: OK

LAN: OK

Video: OK

Should I install AppleNForceATA.kext by slashack now or should I update it first?

Right now I´m booting system using maxmem=2048 -v

Waiting on you.

[]´s

Follow Mysticus C*'s procedure for updating to 10.5.5, using Just Restore for Audio, Lan, etc.

1. Install nForce Drivers Package with following choices => nForceATA by slashack and USB fixes/usb mount fix/Voodoo beta 2c kernel

2. RESTART to load 64 bit drivers to avoid crash/freezes

3. Install nForce Pre Patch first (Do Not Restart)

4. Combo Update next ([Do Not Restart)

5. Post Patch --Customized choices--

6. Once finished customized install, Restart

you can then run Voodoo RV v1.0 Rev_A .dmg to install Voodoo RV v1.0 Rev_A kernel....

Follow Mysticus C*'s procedure for updating to 10.5.5, using Just Restore for Audio, Lan, etc.

1. Install nForce Drivers Package with following choices => nForceATA by slashack and USB fixes/usb mount fix/Voodoo beta 2c kernel

2. RESTART to load 64 bit drivers to avoid crash/freezes

3. Install nForce Pre Patch first (Do Not Restart)

4. Combo Update next ([Do Not Restart)

5. Post Patch --Customized choices--

6. Once finished customized install, Restart...[/code]

you can then run Voodoo RV v1.0 Rev_A .dmg to install Voodoo RV v1.0 Rev_A kernel....

Mate, just one question before going to installation process... I´m using GFX strings to my boot.plist, so, should I install NVdarwin from the nForce Drivers Package or I just uncheck it and leave the way it is???

[]´s

Mate, just one question before going to installation process... I´m using GFX strings to my boot.plist, so, should I install NVdarwin from the nForce Drivers Package or I just uncheck it and leave the way it is???

[]´s

No, if you are using EFI GFX stings in Boot.plist just leave NVdarwin GFX Drivers unchecked.......

No, if you are using EFI GFX stings in Boot.plist just leave NVdarwin GFX Drivers unchecked.......

As I imagined.

Could I say that "when using strings to configure any device it´s not necessary driver or additional kexts to make it work"??

[]´s

As I imagined.

Could I say that "when using strings to configure any device it´s not necessary driver or additional kexts to make it work"??

[]´s

It is usually necessary to remove natit, NVkush, NVinject, or NVdarwin kexts if you are using an EFI string for your GFX card......but you will still need the GeForce kexts, NVDANxxHAL kexts, NVDAREsman.kext, IONDRVSupport.kext etc.....and GeForce*.bundles.......ATI*.kexts and ATI*.bundles if you have a ATI GFX card....etc.

It is usually necessary to remove natit, NVkush, NVinject, or NVdarwin kexts if you are using an EFI string for your GFX card......but you will still need the GeForce kexts, NVDANxxHAL kexts, NVDAREsman.kext, IONDRVSupport.kext etc.....and GeForce*.bundles.......ATI*.kexts and ATI*.bundles if you have a ATI GFX card....etc.

OK.

I´m using GeForce GFX and I added it to boot.plist via EFIStudio and worked fine. No trouble at all.

Well, the fact is I got a KP right when I was start the Post Patch file from Mysticus and now I´m recovering my partition.

Here is the pict I took from the KP. This time the debug line worked fine. :D Take a look at this and tell me if I should add the c1ramp=0 to the plist as you recommend before.

64f9c262881253dcd788294fc86e14882g.jpg

I hope I can make it work.

[]´s

EDIT

Now I´m facing another problem. When I need to clone my partition and I use it through Disk Utility inside OS X, when time to end is estimated about 8 minutes my system freezes and I need to reboot. That´s bad, so I thought... I can use Disk Utility booting from Kalyway DVD. Well, it does the cloning fine, but seems to copy the bootloader too, so I´m with a partition with the system, but the bootloader is not working. This way, I´m able to clone the working partition but unable to boot from it. :)

OK.

I´m using GeForce GFX and I added it to boot.plist via EFIStudio and worked fine. No trouble at all.

Well, the fact is I got a KP right when I was start the Post Patch file from Mysticus and now I´m recovering my partition.

Here is the pict I took from the KP. This time the debug line worked fine. :) Take a look at this and tell me if I should add the c1ramp=0 to the plist as you recommend before.

64f9c262881253dcd788294fc86e14882g.jpg

I hope I can make it work.

[]´s

I think the problem is your GeForce.kext and NVDAResman.kext versions......once you have recovered your partition boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 and then run nForce Drivers Installer this time choosing NVdarwin Stage 1 and Stage 2 512 MB.......then restart with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048.......and run pre-patch....Combo update.....post-patch (DO NOT RESTART after pre-patch and Combo update, and run installer logs so you can follow progress).....

You can delete NVdarwin later and use your EFI string......

I think the problem is your GeForce.kext and NVDAResman.kext versions......once you have recovered your partition boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 and then run nForce Drivers Installer this time choosing NVdarwin Stage 1 and Stage 2 512 MB.......then restart with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048.......and run pre-patch....Combo update.....post-patch (DO NOT RESTART after pre-patch and Combo update, and run installer logs so you can follow progress).....

You can delete NVdarwin later and use your EFI string......

Thanx mate. Right now I´m installing the OSX again because my Disk Utility seems to be not working as it should.

But as soon as I get it installed, I´m gonna follow your steps.

In this case of NVdarwin, what´s your opinion about it? Better using it or using strings?

[]´s

Thanx mate. Right now I´m installing the OSX again because my Disk Utility seems to be not working as it should.

But as soon as I get it installed, I´m gonna follow your steps.

In this case of NVdarwin, what´s your opinion about it? Better using it or using strings?

[]´s

I would follow Mysticus C*'s advice

If you are upgrading from below 10.5.3 versions, you must select either nvkush or nvinject with correct memory amount for your nvidia gfx card. There is also a limited number of gfx strings as well, but use it at discretion! Make sure what you are choosing. NFORCE mobo owners MUST also chooce nforce fixed nvidia gfx driverers as well.

So, I recommend trying this:

1. Boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048

2. Run nForceATA by slashack and usb fixes/usb mount fix/voodoo beta 2c kernel

3. Restart

4. Run nForce Pre-patch (with Installer logging on) and don't close installer window or restart

5. Run Combo Updater (with Installer logging on) and don't close installer window or restart

6. Run post-patch, choosing NVdarwin GFX Drivers/NVdarwin 512MB and Patched NVDIA Drivers options...as well as your other selections......

I would follow Mysticus C*'s advice

If you are upgrading from below 10.5.3 versions, you must select either nvkush or nvinject with correct memory amount for your nvidia gfx card. There is also a limited number of gfx strings as well, but use it at discretion! Make sure what you are choosing. NFORCE mobo owners MUST also chooce nforce fixed nvidia gfx driverers as well.

So, I recommend trying this:

1. Boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048

2. Run nForceATA by slashack and usb fixes/usb mount fix/voodoo beta 2c kernel

3. Restart

4. Run nForce Pre-patch (with Installer logging on) and don't close installer window or restart

5. Run Combo Updater (with Installer logging on) and don't close installer window or restart

6. Run post-patch, choosing NVdarwin GFX Drivers/NVdarwin 512MB and Patched NVDIA Drivers options...as well as your other selections......

Hi there.

Finally update went fine and is booting. I´m booting excluding one parameter from maxmem=2048 cpus=1 -v every boot. :P

Seems to be working.

[]´s

Hi there.

Finally update went fine and is booting. I´m booting excluding one parameter from maxmem=2048 cpus=1 -v every boot. :P

Seems to be working.

[]´s

After the update you should not need anything apart from -v to boot with if you want to check for smooth booting (I always boot with -v).......so not sure what you are excluding?

After the update you should not need anything apart from -v to boot with if you want to check for smooth booting (I always boot with -v).......so not sure what you are excluding?

I made myself misunderstood. I wanted to say that I was booting using the complete line maxmem=2048 cpus=1 -v. After watching it boot fine, I reduced to maxmem=2048 cpus=1 and so on untill I can boot using any flags. :P I made you confuse. My bad.

After installing everything, I came back to our post #251 and I realized I still have the same kexts as that time. Two more than you said you have in your system. Don´t understand why those files are there, and they´re still red highlighted.

By now, I added the -v debug=0x144 to my boot.plist so I can check any problems and report errors the best way. Should I take any special steps now that system is updated?

[]´s

I made myself misunderstood. I wanted to say that I was booting using the complete line maxmem=2048 cpus=1 -v. After watching it boot fine, I reduced to maxmem=2048 cpus=1 and so on untill I can boot using any flags. B) I made you confuse. My bad.

After installing everything, I came back to our post #251 and I realized I still have the same kexts as that time. Two more than you said you have in your system. Don´t understand why those files are there, and they´re still red highlighted.

By now, I added the -v debug=0x144 to my boot.plist so I can check any problems and report errors the best way. Should I take any special steps now that system is updated?

[]´s

Using slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext and Voodoo RV v1.0 Rev_A kernel, you should no long need maxmem=2048 nor cpus=1......see post #1 in this thread about my tests with 6GB RAM and 4 cores running.... :wacko:

If you are running everthing as you wish on 10.5.5, you can now set c1ramp=0 in your com.apple.Boot.plist if you have any mouse/freeze issues......

I would rename those two red highlighted files, as they are not present in my 10.5.4 or 10.5.5 system installs.......

Using slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext and Voodoo RV v1.0 Rev_A kernel, you should no long need maxmem=2048 nor cpus=1......see post #1 in this thread about my tests with 6GB RAM and 4 cores running.... :)

If you are running everthing as you wish on 10.5.5, you can now set c1ramp=0 in your com.apple.Boot.plist if you have any mouse/freeze issues......

I would rename those two red highlighted files, as they are not present in my 10.5.4 or 10.5.5 system installs.......

Hi verdant.

Now I don´t need any flags to boot. I was doing that just on trial basis. System is booting fine and real smooth. I think that my problem in freezing can mouse issue as you said, because when I got this freeze, mouse gets stuck, but the animations of the system like the rainbow, flashing bar of typing and the animation of progress keeps running like the system is still function.

I´ll add the c1ramp=0 line to the plist right now and will rename that files highlighted in red. Any suggestion on names to rename those files?

Thanx very much for your help and patience.

[]´s

Hi verdant.

Now I don´t need any flags to boot. I was doing that just on trial basis. System is booting fine and real smooth. I think that my problem in freezing can mouse issue as you said, because when I got this freeze, mouse gets stuck, but the animations of the system like the rainbow, flashing bar of typing and the animation of progress keeps running like the system is still function.

I´ll add the c1ramp=0 line to the plist right now and will rename that files highlighted in red. Any suggestion on names to rename those files?

Thanx very much for your help and patience.

[]´s

Rename as you have done according to post #254 by adding .orig after .kext.......as I indicated in post #253.....

Rename as you have done according to post #254 by adding .orig after .kext.......as I indicated in post #253.....

OK. Gonna do that.

[]´s

EDIT

Take a look at this. OS X says that I don´t have enough privileges to rename those files as you suggested.

post-223908-1231438158_thumb.png

[]´s