Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

OK. Gonna do that.

[]´s

EDIT

Take a look at this. OS X says that I don´t have enough privileges to rename those files as you suggested.

post-223908-1231438158_thumb.png

[]´s

Did you type sudo mv or just mv? Are you logged in as an Administrator or Standard User?

Yes i've tried that one too...

I think it has something to do with NForce 4...

Check out this thread......it is worth a shot..... :angel: .

Did you type sudo mv or just mv? Are you logged in as an Administrator or Standard User?

Can seem a little stupid, but I don´t know if I´m logged as Standard or Administrator. Never saw such option on OS X. :P

[]´s

EDIT

Hi. Got that freeze again. This time I was using Safari when it froze.

I really don´t have a clue what can be this freeze, since the debug line option I added to the plist doesn´t get it. I still added the c1ramp=0 to the plist but my mouse froze anyway.

I don´t know what more to do. :P

EDIT 2

I didn´t tell you that the 2 files highlighted in red are inside the IOATAFamily.kext. in my /System/Library/Extensions there are no files with the name AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext

[]´s

Can seem a little stupid, but I don´t know if I´m logged as Standard or Administrator. Never saw such option on OS X. :D

[]´s

EDIT

Hi. Got that freeze again. This time I was using Safari when it froze.

I really don´t have a clue what can be this freeze, since the debug line option I added to the plist doesn´t get it. I still added the c1ramp=0 to the plist but my mouse froze anyway.

I don´t know what more to do. :(

EDIT 2

I didn´t tell you that the 2 files highlighted in red are inside the IOATAFamily.kext. in my /System/Library/Extensions there are no files with the name AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext

[]´s

Reply to Edit 1

You may need to try DSDT patching.......see here.....here and here.....or another modded BIOS from here.....either (MS)-7350v16 *(NMS) P6N SLI Platinum or (MS)-7383v52 P6N SLI Platinum.......but you need to 100% sure of your MSI MOBO model/BIOS version in order to choose the correct modded BIOS.....

Reply to Edit 2

Yes, that is where AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext and AppleGenericPCATA.kext are situated......you need

to

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ 
 ls
 sudo mv AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext.orig
 sudo mv AppleGenericPCATA.kext AppleGenericPCATA.kext.orig
 exit

Yes i've tried that one too...

I think it has something to do with NForce 4...

Check this thread out it may help.........as this thread of mine is nForce + Intel CPU and not AMD CPU focussed, sorry I cannot be of more help....... :)

Reply to Edit 1

You may need to try DSDT patching.......see here.....here and here.....or another modded BIOS from here.....either (MS)-7350v16 *(NMS) P6N SLI Platinum or (MS)-7383v52 P6N SLI Platinum.......but you need to 100% sure of your MSI MOBO model/BIOS version in order to choose the correct modded BIOS.....

EDIT 2 is OK. Renamed files, rebooted and everything is fine. :)

About EDIT 1 reply, I´ll read all the links you sent me. I downloaded the Patcher. But... in fact... what this patcher do? I already have one modded BIOS by Kabyl. This mod he did using the original BIOS from MSI that I provided him via link. How this DSDT works? Could you provide me links? Thanx in advance.

[]´s

EDIT 2 is OK. Renamed files, rebooted and everything is fine. :(

About EDIT 1 reply, I´ll read all the links you sent me. I downloaded the Patcher. But... in fact... what this patcher do? I already have one modded BIOS by Kabyl. This mod he did using the original BIOS from MSI that I provided him via link. How this DSDT works? Could you provide me links? Thanx in advance.

[]´s

All the information is in the links I sent you......I cannot give you more useful/detailed information than these developer threads......you need to read them carefully to understand what DSDT does.....but for a useful overview see here..... ;)

All the information is in the links I sent you......I cannot give you more useful/detailed information than these developer threads......you need to read them carefully to understand what DSDT does.....but for a useful overview see here..... :)

Thanx mate.

Let me say something... renaming those files didn´t help to avoid that famous freeze of my system. Right now I´m rebooting from the last freeze and I got it using carbon copy cloner to make a backup of my working partition. I could realize, that when I use CC or Disk Utility, when it gets to certain point, it give me this freeze. When using this two apps, I´m almost sure it will hang up.

About the DSDT thing, when it comes to change anything in BIOS, I "freeze" a little. I don´t like very much working on BIOS. Some changes in it could make it unfixable, right? And here in Brazil, computer parts are quite expensive, if you know what I mean. :( If you assure me that DSDT things works with no harm to my BIOS - that´s already modded - I´d do it.

[]´s

EDIT 1

--------------------------------------------

Regarding the BIOS info, here it goes:

- A7350NMS 1.60

- AMI

In my system info into BIOS, I got this another info:

- BIOS version: V1.6 030708

That´s it.

I downloaded the DSDT Patcher and one app called Bootloader PC EFI v9 by netkas and Chamaleon, from one of those links you sent me. ;)

Thanx mate.

Let me say something... renaming those files didn´t help to avoid that famous freeze of my system. Right now I´m rebooting from the last freeze and I got it using carbon copy cloner to make a backup of my working partition. I could realize, that when I use CC or Disk Utility, when it gets to certain point, it give me this freeze. When using this two apps, I´m almost sure it will hang up.

About the DSDT thing, when it comes to change anything in BIOS, I "freeze" a little. I don´t like very much working on BIOS. Some changes in it could make it unfixable, right? And here in Brazil, computer parts are quite expensive, if you know what I mean. :) If you assure me that DSDT things works with no harm to my BIOS - that´s already modded - I´d do it.

[]´s

EDIT 1

Regarding the BIOS info, here it goes:

- A7350NMS 1.60

- AMI

In my system info into BIOS, I got this another info:

- BIOS version: V1.6 030708

That´s it.

I downloaded the DSDT Patcher and one app called Bootloader PC EFI v9 by netkas and Chamaleon, from one of those links you sent me. :D

Firstly, because of the heavy data transfer when cloning with CCC or DU, always boot PC with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048........until you are confident enough in your system as regards no KPs under any conditions...... :D

Secondly, my understanding is the DSDT Patcher 1.0.1e generates a patched version of the DSDT section in the ACPI section in your MOBO BIOS......quoting mackerintel

DSDT is a part of ACPI. Actually DSDT tells OS how to interract with  the hardware (simplified way of telling it). OSX has an incomplete ACPI  implementation which supports only a subset of DSDT. By replacing DSDT  we can declare essentially the same interface but in the way that OSX  understands. This potentially can solve nearly any ACPI-related problem  (except if OSX bypasses ACPI). Other usage case is emulating by the  means of DSDT features or hardware components not present on your  system. But this is limited to devices that use ACPI.

and outputs as a dsdt.aml file. This file should be renamed from dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml and copied to your root / directory......

The Chameleon bootloader with DSDT override function looks in the root directory / for a file named DSDT.aml and if it finds one, it overrides the DSDT loaded at bootup from your BIOS with contents of this file, which is your patched DSDT, by overwriting the loaded-up DSDT with the patched DSDT......so, AFIK, your BIOS is not modifed by this method......

So, you need fassl's DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip......and macerintel's Chameleon bootloader with DSDT override function (chameleon.zip)......note that chameleon file in chameleon.zip should become your boot file in / directory i.e root directory, if you use "Easy Install" option for Chameleon.......check that Bootloader PC EFI v9 by netkas and Chameleon has DSDT overide function included, if so OK.....

Thirdly, first try renaming AppleEFIRuntime.kext AppleHWSensor.kext if they are present in your Extensions directory, also any thermal kexts, i.e. kexts with thermo or thermal in their name, as well as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.....

First check your BIOS settings against the BIOS template for 630i in post #1 of this thread.....

Ya i changed it to those settings and this time when i had set sata in AHCI mode i could see the sata hdd in Disk Utility while installing but still i insatlled it on the PATA and again very slow transfer rates and even the installing takes very much time.After installing now i cant even see my SATA hdd in disk utility.

So now what should i do.

Thank you Verdant

ok,

I'll continue in this topic ! in first place thx, the still waiting for root device problem is fixed but...

when I try to install I get a error, I think it's my hd but I ask it anyway here you got some pics in atachment

first pic: everything goes fine you think but then... first pic.

translation of first pic:

Installation failed
Mac OSX can't be installed on your computer
The installation program has problems with the installation on 'osx'
Possibly the disk is damaged. Install the software on another disk
Click restart  to restart the computer, then retry the installation

Do I have to search another Hd?

Thx ;)

post-305749-1231540267_thumb.jpg

post-305749-1231540284_thumb.jpg

ok,

I'll continue in this topic ! in first place thx, the still waiting for root device problem is fixed but...

when I try to install I get a error, I think it's my hd but I ask it anyway here you got some pics in atachment

first pic: everything goes fine you think but then... first pic.

translation of first pic:

Installation failed
Mac OSX can't be installed on your computer
The installation program has problems with the installation on 'osx'
Possibly the disk is damaged. Install the software on another disk
Click restart  to restart the computer, then retry the installation

Do I have to search another Hd?

Thx ;)

First suggest you try using DVD Installer Disk Utility to partition the HDD as MBR as before but then format the HDD as MS-DOS (FAT) and reformat as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then use Disk Verify to check the formatted HDD.......also set IDE DVDRW as Master and IDE HDD as Slave if you have not already.......otherwise if your MOBO has two IDE channels, then try HDD and DVDRW on separate channels, each as Master......

Ya i changed it to those settings and this time when i had set sata in AHCI mode i could see the sata hdd in Disk Utility while installing but still i insatlled it on the PATA and again very slow transfer rates and even the installing takes very much time.After installing now i cant even see my SATA hdd in disk utility.

So now what should i do.

Thank you Verdant

Assuming that Windows is booting fine from the SATA HDD, then Disk Utility should see the SATA HDD.....if not then the Install DVD has not loaded the correct kext at boot up for your MOBO Southbridge chipset......seems unlikely with IAtkos v5i......

So, also recheck that BIOS settings have not changed back to factory defaults rather than the settings, especially IDE/SATA settings, needed for OS X......

Also do a really clean install by using DVD Installer Disk Utility to partition the IDE HDD as MBR as before but then format the HDD as MS-DOS (FAT) and reformat as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then use Disk Verify to check the formatted HDD.......

Some forum members suggest that OS X is "happier" with SATA HDDs than PATA HDDs.......I am not convinced........so check out slashack's thread and ATA drivers here......

I was wondering if anyone could help me get around the 'still waiting for root device' error. My info is as follows:

MOBO: ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 C55+MCP55P

Chipset: nForce 650i SLI

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz, not overclocked

DVDR: LITE-ON SATA 16x DVD+-R/RW

HDD: 500gb SATA for Vista, 700gb SATAfor storgage, 32gb SATA for OSX (no partitions, all separate disks)

Hoping to dual boot vista and osx 10.5 from two different HDDs.

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

PCI: Just 1 set of extra USB ports.

From my research, I think the process is getting held up because I'm trying to use a SATA DVD drive and an SATA HDD. I think OSx86DeFacto could help me out, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be grateful as well. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone could help me get around the 'still waiting for root device' error. My info is as follows:

MOBO: ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 C55+MCP55P

Chipset: nForce 650i SLI

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz, not overclocked

DVDR: LITE-ON SATA 16x DVD+-R/RW

HDD: 500gb SATA for Vista, 700gb SATAfor storgage, 32gb SATA for OSX (no partitions, all separate disks)

Hoping to dual boot vista and osx 10.5 from two different HDDs.

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

PCI: Just 1 set of extra USB ports.

From my research, I think the process is getting held up because I'm trying to use a SATA DVD drive and an SATA HDD. I think OSx86DeFacto could help me out, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be grateful as well. Thanks!

1. Have you set your BIOS MOBO settings to match the recommended settings for 650i in my BIOS template in post #1 of this thread.....

2. Since you wish to dual boot, I recommend you partition the OS X SATA HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR), then erase it as MS-DOS (FAT) and re-erase it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)......then use in Vista EasyBCD 1.7.2......but if not successful then try EasyBCD 2.0 Public Beta.......

3. Which OSx86 Install DVD versions have you available to try.....? How much MOBO RAM is installed? How much VRAM does your GFX card have?

4. Whichever you use, initially do not choose any audio, network or video driver selections in the Customize menu......your optimum GFX card driver may need hunting down......

5. See my blog for detailed installation guides for ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus using various OSx86 Install DVD distributions....... ;)

1. Have you set your BIOS MOBO settings to match the recommended settings for 650i in my BIOS template in post #1 of this thread.....

2. Since you wish to dual boot, I recommend you partition the OS X SATA HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR), then erase it as MS-DOS (FAT) and re-erase it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)......then use in Vista EasyBCD 1.7.2......but if not successful then try EasyBCD 2.0 Public Beta.......

3. Which OSx86 Install DVD versions have you available to try.....? How much MOBO RAM is installed? How much VRAM does your GFX card have?

4. Whichever you use, initially do not choose any audio, network or video driver selections in the Customize menu......your optimum GFX card driver may need hunting down......

5. See my blog for detailed installation guides for ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus using various OSx86 Install DVD distributions....... :)

Thanks for helping me out, btw. :)

1. I'm reading up on the bios settings now. I printed it out and I'm going to check those right after I finish this post. Stay tuned.

2. Also researching how to format as MBR

3. I have: iPC 10.5.6 OSX86, iDeneb 1.3, and Kalyway 10.5.2

- mobo RAM: 4gigs

- Graphics Card vram: 256mb

4. k :)

5. Next on the list.

Thanks for helping me out, btw. :)

1. I'm reading up on the bios settings now. I printed it out and I'm going to check those right after I finish this post. Stay tuned.

2. Also researching how to format as MBR

3. I have: iPC 10.5.6 OSX86, iDeneb 1.3, and Kalyway 10.5.2

- mobo RAM: 4gigs

- Graphics Card vram: 256mb

4. k :)

5. Next on the list.

2. Go to Partition tab in Disk Utility......

3. Go for iPC 10.5.6 OSx86 and use my install guide, i.e. latest entry in my blog......boot patched DVD with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048......using guide covers 4. and 5......... :)

2. Go to Partition tab in Disk Utility......

3. Go for iPC 10.5.6 OSx86 and use my install guide, i.e. latest entry in my blog......boot patched DVD with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048......using guide covers 4. and 5......... :)

I changed my bios settings to match the pdf in this thread for 650i, but i couldn't find the setting for "ahci" which I recall from another thread as possibly being important.

I guess I have to take out the drive, plug it into my external case, then plug that into my mac laptop, then use disk util? Is there a way to do it in vista?

Thanks again for being so helpful! :)

I changed my bios settings to match the pdf in this thread for 650i, but i couldn't find the setting for "ahci" which I recall from another thread as possibly being important.

I guess I have to take out the drive, plug it into my external case, then plug that into my mac laptop, then use disk util? Is there a way to do it in vista?

Thanks again for being so helpful! :)

Your BIOS does not have ACHI mode......see my BIOS settings in my blog entry dated Monday 25th August 2008.....

Your iPC OSx86 Install DVD has Disk Utility on it.......so just boot from the iPC DVD as per my blog guide.....

Toast Crashing Issues

Three things to try.....found in my Web trawls...... :)

1. Remove XviD_1.0alpha QT component in /Library/QuickTime if it is present.....

2. Disconnect any Firewire and USB devices (except keyboard and mouse obviously) before launching Toast....

3. If the Toast icon bounces in the dock and then crashes before the application actually launches, then search OS X volume for a "My CD.disc" file and double-click on it.....it may cause Toast to launch and ask for the security code details......before continuing the launch.....

A.

1. Evga nForce 650i Ultra 775 T1 (non sli)

2. 650i

3. Intel Quad Q6600 B3, 2.4 GHz (stock)

4. Ill take photos later, sorry.

5. 1 PATA (IDE) DVDRW Drive

6. 1 Raptor 150GB 10kRPM, 1 WD2500JS (250GB 7200RPM)

7. Windows XP installed on raptor, WD Caviar is brand new (want to install on this HD)

8. Windows XP Pro x32

9. Evga GeForce 8800GTS 512MB Crysis Edition (thats what it said on the NCIX site)

10. Extra USB port thing plugged into PCI, and a Creative Xifi Gamer Sound card (I bought Bose companion 5's so the card is only used for my 5.1 headset/mic)

11. 10 USB 2.0 ports, and basically every port on the 650i and antec 900.

B.

1. iDeneb 10.5.5 v1.3 / and some md5.rtf file that came with it

2. I would like to know if installing this on the extra hard drive, i would have to boot back onto XP to get missing sound drivers/ethernet port drivers/video drivers. I also read that there are some mac installations which install all the drivers for you, is iDeneb one?

First suggest you try using DVD Installer Disk Utility to partition the HDD as MBR as before but then format the HDD as MS-DOS (FAT) and reformat as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then use Disk Verify to check the formatted HDD.......also set IDE DVDRW as Master and IDE HDD as Slave if you have not already.......otherwise if your MOBO has two IDE channels, then try HDD and DVDRW on separate channels, each as Master......

still the same problem, will try with another hd from a friend now

Ok, I also tried Iatkos one time because kalyway doesn't work and then I got another error (see attachment)

:)

I want kalyway running on my pc!!

This is what I do in disk utility:

I partition my hd (ide 80gb)

format it as ms-dos

format it again as mac os extended journal

partition it as mac os MBR

What Am I doing wrong?

post-305749-1231589769_thumb.jpg