Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

sorry, my english is bad, i was trying dvd boot

well, i could sucessfully instal mac os here (leo4allv3 10.5.2), i was looking some threads on this forum, and i just typed cpus=1 that it loaded the os installer with no problem, but there is another problem (lol), i cant boot windows vista, only osx86 and it needs the dvd and this line "rd=disk0s6 cpus=1" to get in osx

here is how the hd is in osx

/dev/disk0
0: FDisk_partition_scheme					232.0gi			 disk0
1: Windows_NTFS							   27gi				 disk0s1
2: Windowst_NTFS							  47gi				 disk0s5
3: Apple_HFS disk0s6						   40gi				 disk0s6
4: Windows_NTFS							   117gi				 disk0s7

the first one its the main windows partition, the third is where osx is installed

Thanks very much verdant!

PS: sorry for my english

See here about making OS X active.......and for dual booting are you using XP or Vista.....?

It worked!!!!, but i still need the osx dvd to get in osx, but now its better

Oh, yes im usin vista x64 for dual booting

Thank You verdant!!!!!! ;)

Then try EasyBCD 1.7.2 for dual booting.....

Then try EasyBCD 1.7.2 for dual booting.....

I tried it, i added the mac entry (Generci x86), but it dont work, when i choose osx on boot screen, the screen become black and then it goes back to the boot screen.

Just one more :), is there anyway to fix the 1 core on osx? i have a core 2 duo processor, and there is no way to get in osx without this command "cpus=1".

Thanks verdant!!!!

I tried it, i added the mac entry (Generci x86), but it dont work, when i choose osx on boot screen, the screen become black and then it goes back to the boot screen.

Just one more :D , is there anyway to fix the 1 core on osx? i have a core 2 duo processor, and there is no way to get in osx without this command "cpus=1".

Thanks verdant!!!!

Try EasyBCD 2.0 public beta from here......

What kernel did you install using leo4all 10.5.2.....?

Which kernel did you choose......NForce NO-HPET SSE3 kernel?

Suggest you try upgrading to 10.5.5 using Mysticus C* Updater packages.......

Lurked here for a while. Having to post as I cannot get the iDeneb 10.5.5 patched DVD to boot.

Specs:

ECS nforce 570 slit-a v5.1

4GB ram

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

XFX PVT71PUDP3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported EXTREME Video Card

WD 250Gb Sata drive

Sony IDE DVD burner/drive

DVD boots and hangs at grey screen. Diag mode shows an error message repeating very quickly so I cannot see what it is.

photo-1.jpg

Any help would be great. I'm tearing my hair out here. Been trying to get this to boot for days.

@ railz

You are getting a SAM Multimedia Read Write failed SENSE_KEY error and since you have a PATA (IDE) DVDRW, it is pointing to a DVD patch error and/or "bad burn"........check the original .iso MD5 and patched .iso MD5 checksums for correctness and burn your DVD at a very slow speed ≤ x4, as slow as your DVD burn software will allow, i.e. x1 or x2......hopefully this will solve your problem......but also check your BIOS settings against the 570i template in post #1 in this thread and boot the DVD with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 to be on the safe side......:)

@ railz

You are getting a SAM Multimedia Read Write failed SENSE_KEY error and since you have a PATA (IDE) DVDRW, it is pointing to a DVD patch error and/or "bad burn"........check the original .iso MD5 and patched .iso MD5 checksums for correctness and burn your DVD at a very slow speed ≤ x4, as slow as your DVD burn software will allow, i.e. x1 or x2......hopefully this will solve your problem......but also check your BIOS settings against the 570i template in post #1 in this thread and boot the DVD with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 to be on the safe side...... :)

Thanks for the post!

I checked the original ISO MD5 and the patched MD5 and both came back as expected in the patch MD5 readme. Re-burnt at 2.2x and same error. I cannot find some of the entries for the 570i settings in my mobo bios - specifically Hpet. Tried -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 - same.

Thanks for the post!

I checked the original ISO MD5 and the patched MD5 and both came back as expected in the patch MD5 readme. Re-burnt at 2.2x and same error. I cannot find some of the entries for the 570i settings in my mobo bios - specifically Hpet. Tried -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 - same.

In your BIOS are you able to set AHCI mode........have you got your IDE DVDRW set as Master (which it should be).......?

There are no files available from Mysticus C* - only a link to apple

???????

The link is in post #1 of this thread...... :rolleyes:

Try EasyBCD 2.0 public beta from here......

What kernel did you install using leo4all 10.5.2.....?

Which kernel did you choose......NForce NO-HPET SSE3 kernel?

Suggest you try upgrading to 10.5.5 using Mysticus C* Updater packages.......

Sorry to answering too late

well i dont remember what kernel i selected, and there is not nforce no-hpet ss3 in leo4all setup

im gonna try the mysticus package

Thank You Very Much Verdant!!

News Update: Successful clean system installation and subsequent operation of Leopard 10.5.6 on External eSATA HDD OS X volume partitioned as MBR connected to my system ......see my blog entry.....Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (nForce 650i) + Q6600 running full CI/QE, USB 2.0, audio, networking (RTL8169 NIC), eSATA, and Firewire 400 (IEEE1394a) operation...... with subsequent manual installation of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext for 6GB RAM operation..... :)

This success bodes well for Mysticus C* next surprise for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOS..... ;)

@ breakingbad

Hi Mysticus and Verdant.

Well I´m writting to you because I need a little help with my system. My system is very unstable and I don´t know why it happens.

I know that are a few logs we can enable to check what happens but I don´t know where to enable this. I know you two are very busy people, but I believe you´re the one can help me. As I use only the files provided by Mysticus, I believe it would be easier to know what are the contents of it, so there´s nothing changed to make OS X working.

Just to tell what´s happening for example, when I use Toast to burn a CD or DVD, sometimes system freezes and shows up that grey screen telling to push the power button down for a few seconds or press restart button. Or sometimes my system just freeze and I have to restart it.

By now, I´m only asking you to tell me how to enable system log files so I can´t provide proper information about what´s happening to my system so you could analyze it and tell what to do.

Thanx in advance for your attention and knowledge.

Describe the nature of your problems.......but be aware that Toast is known to cause issues.......see here......

Try adding debug=0x144 to the line between <string></string> line below <key>Kernel Flags</key> in com.apple.Boot.plist. This should AFIK give you information about any kernel panics that occur when running OS X........ :)

@ breakingbad

Describe the nature of your problems.......but be aware that Toast is known to cause issues.......see here......

Try adding debug=0x144 to the line between <string></string> line below <key>Kernel Flags</key> in com.apple.Boot.plist. This should AFIK give you information about any kernel panics that occur when running OS X........ :(

Hi verdant.

My problem is very similar to that one discribed on the topic you told me to visit. Converting files to DVD or sometimes simply burning an DVD or CD.

Well, I didn´t tried adding the code you told me to, but I´m pretty sure I´m going to do it.

I even downloaded that PDF file you provided in the first post so I can configure my BIOS as it should be. I believe my BIOS settings is pretty fine, since was Mysticus the one who helped me in the very begin.

Could you point me one topic or web site where I can get explanation about the difference on MBR or GUID partitions?

I have 2 HD´s on my computer as you can see in my sig, but I use the SATA one to OS X and the PATA one to run Windows. So, I don´t use dual boot.

THNX again.

[]´s

EDIT:

Couldn´t add the "debug" line because my com.apple.boot.plist don´t have the lines you mentioned above. :)

Hi verdant.

My problem is very similar to that one discribed on the topic you told me to visit. Converting files to DVD or sometimes simply burning an DVD or CD.

Well, I didn´t tried adding the code you told me to, but I´m pretty sure I´m going to do it.

I even downloaded that PDF file you provided in the first post so I can configure my BIOS as it should be. I believe my BIOS settings is pretty fine, since was Mysticus the one who helped me in the very begin.

Could you point me one topic or web site where I can get explanation about the difference on MBR or GUID partitions?

I have 2 HD´s on my computer as you can see in my sig, but I use the SATA one to OS X and the PATA one to run Windows. So, I don´t use dual boot.

THNX again.

[]´s

EDIT:

Couldn´t add the "debug" line because my com.apple.boot.plist don´t have the lines you mentioned above. :)

For MBR versus GUID see here.......personally, as I triple boot OS X, Vista and Ubuntu, I prefer to use MBR as it interacts more naturally with the PC BIOS, and with separate HDDs for each OS and external eSATA HDDs, the volume resizing capability of GUID is not a big enough advantage to use it instead of MBR

for com.apple.Boot.plist, modify the com.apple.Boot.plist file as follows:

1. Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

3. Type in (without any spaces anywhere except where there are spaces) the needed missing lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v debug=0x144</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

4. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press Ctrl O and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

5. Press Ctrl X to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

For MBR versus GUID see here.......personally, as I triple boot OS X, Vista and Ubuntu, I prefer to use MBR as it interacts more naturally with the PC BIOS, and with separate HDDs for each OS and external eSATA HDDs, the volume resizing capability of GUID is not a big enough advantage to use it instead of MBR

for com.apple.Boot.plist, modify the com.apple.Boot.plist file as follows:

1. Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

3. Type in (without any spaces anywhere except where there are spaces) the needed missing lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v debug=0x144</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

4. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press Ctrl O and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

5. Press Ctrl X to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

Thanx mate.

I added the line to my com.apple.Boot.plist as mentioned. ;) Now, if my system gets a KP, how to save the log file to post somewhere like MediaFire??

About the MBR or GUID, I believe that if MBR interacts better with the BIOS settings, even using different HD´s to boot different systems it will be better to use MBR anyway, am I right?

[]´s

Thanx mate.

I added the line to my com.apple.Boot.plist as mentioned. ;) Now, if my system gets a KP, how to save the log file to post somewhere like MediaFire??

About the MBR or GUID, I believe that if MBR interacts better with the BIOS settings, even using different HD´s to boot different systems it will be better to use MBR anyway, am I right?

[]´s

Wait until you get a KP and then see what the best way to save and report the log will be......

I use different HDDs for booting different OSs and after experimenting with both, I decided to use MBR...... :D

Wait until you get a KP and then see what the best way to save and report the log will be......

I use different HDDs for booting different OSs and after experimenting with both, I decided to use MBR...... :)

OK mate...

Now let´s wait for the KP. :)

I´m almost sure that it would happen next time I use Toast. LOL! Talking about "toast"... would you recommend me another program for toasting some CD/DVD´s? Installed tomorrow one called SimplyBurns, but as the name says, think it´s to simple, if you know what I mean. :)

About the MBR or GUID, I will keep using the MBR scheme as it´s better than GUID. ;) I asked you about that because I installed from Mysticus updates one package called nForce Chipset Tools that came one soft named EFIStudio and when I hit the button to install EFI it says I have to be in GUID mode to install it. As I don´t know much about that, I started looking for some answers.

Just now, with some of this programs I´m realizing some of the things Mysticus told me when I was installing OS X for the firs time. Mysticus is such a great guy but sometimes he can be very hard on people. Many of this things I still don´t realize what it serves for, what made me went to a book store and buy a book on Mac OS X Leopard so I can learn more. ;)

So, let´s wait for the KP.

I hope soon I´ll be posting here some log files.

[]´s

EDIT

Hi mate. I use one program from pcwiz called OSx86 Tools - that you may know it very well - and I used one resource from it called Download and Install Hardware Drives and it found 3 files for my hardware. So my doubt is... is it safe do install it without having any problems?

The files the program downloaded was: ALC880 - nForceethernet driver - NVInject 4.1.

[]´s

OK mate...

Now let´s wait for the KP. :)

I´m almost sure that it would happen next time I use Toast. LOL! Talking about "toast"... would you recommend me another program for toasting some CD/DVD´s? Installed tomorrow one called SimplyBurns, but as the name says, think it´s to simple, if you know what I mean. ;)

About the MBR or GUID, I will keep using the MBR scheme as it´s better than GUID. ;) I asked you about that because I installed from Mysticus updates one package called nForce Chipset Tools that came one soft named EFIStudio and when I hit the button to install EFI it says I have to be in GUID mode to install it. As I don´t know much about that, I started looking for some answers.

Just now, with some of this programs I´m realizing some of the things Mysticus told me when I was installing OS X for the firs time. Mysticus is such a great guy but sometimes he can be very hard on people. Many of this things I still don´t realize what it serves for, what made me went to a book store and buy a book on Mac OS X Leopard so I can learn more. ;)

So, let´s wait for the KP.

I hope soon I´ll be posting here some log files.

[]´s

EDIT

Hi mate. I use one program from pcwiz called OSx86 Tools - that you may know it very well - and I used one resource from it called Download and Install Hardware Drives and it found 3 files for my hardware. So my doubt is... is it safe do install it without having any problems?

The files the program downloaded was: ALC880 - nForceethernet driver - NVInject 4.1.

[]´s

If the kexts downloaded from the database that OSx86Tools links to work for you then OK......otherwise search the OSx86 forum for the best kexts to drive your audio, video and LAN devices and just install using OSx86Tools or Kext Helper b7....... :)

If the kexts downloaded from the database that OSx86Tools links to work for you then OK......otherwise search the OSx86 forum for the best kexts to drive your audio, video and LAN devices and just install using OSx86Tools or Kext Helper b7....... ;)

In fact, I believe I don´t need to do nothing because my system works fine with the actual kexts.

For GFX - NVDarwin

For Audio - ALC888 inject (6 ports)

For LAN - Apple USB Ethernet Adapter

So, I won´t change anything by now.

I´m only waiting on Mysticus Update package to update to 10.5.6. :)

[]´s

In fact, I believe I don´t need to do nothing because my system works fine with the actual kexts.

For GFX - NVDarwin

For Audio - ALC888 inject (6 ports)

For LAN - Apple USB Ethernet Adapter

So, I won´t change anything by now.

I´m only waiting on Mysticus Update package to update to 10.5.6. ;)

[]´s

Regarding CD/DVD burning software, I use NTI Dragon Burn......see here......download a trial version.......

Regarding CD/DVD burning software, I use NTI Dragon Burn......see here......download a trial version.......

Thanx for the tip.

I´m going to download it right now.

[]´s

EDIT - KP ISSUE

Hi mate. Didn´t took so long to get a KP. What surprised me most I was not using Toast, I was using Adobe Bridge CS4.

Here are the links for the pics I could take during the KP. So, if I´m not asking much, could you take a look at this to see what may be the problem??

Thanx in advance.

Here we go:

940d9fabef11f7d03e3a0c7d67460f962g.jpg e6bb06c3cc9c54c610508658e549a1482g.jpg 5f710582ef208744bf0a93b06e04a3592g.jpg

Thanx for the tip.

I´m going to download it right now.

[]´s

EDIT - KP ISSUE

Hi mate. Didn´t took so long to get a KP. What surprised me most I was not using Toast, I was using Adobe Bridge CS4.

Here are the links for the pics I could take during the KP. So, if I´m not asking much, could you take a look at this to see what may be the problem??

Thanx in advance.

Here we go:

940d9fabef11f7d03e3a0c7d67460f962g.jpg e6bb06c3cc9c54c610508658e549a1482g.jpg 5f710582ef208744bf0a93b06e04a3592g.jpg

Go to Terminal and type

uname -a

and post the resulting output from Terminal.........

You can try renaming AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext as AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext.original, and then rebooting.....

Go to /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily/Contents/PlugIns/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist to check Info.plist of AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext :

<string>AppleOnboardPCATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x59551002 0x43761002 0x43491002</string>

for your nForce device IDs.......device ID examples shown; the device IDs in your kext may differ.....that is your nForce device IDs.......run DPCIManager to find them.....

Go to Terminal and type

uname -a

and post the resulting output from Terminal.........

You can try renaming AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext as AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext.original, and then rebooting.....

Go to /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily/Contents/PlugIns/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist to check Info.plist of AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext :

<string>0x59551002 0x43761002 0x43491002</string>

for your nForce device IDs.......device ID examples shown; the device IDs in your kext may differ.....that is your nForce device IDs.......run DPCIManager to find them.....

Hi verdant. Thanx for your fast reply. I appreciate that. :(

Well, that´s the result from the uname -a typed in terminal as you asked.

Darwin breaking-bads-mac-pro.local 9.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0: Fri Aug 1 21:34:49 EST 2008; ToH & StageXNU:xnu-1228.5.20/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

That´s what I got till now.

I´m going to follow the other steps so I can post it here. I´ll post as an edit for us not to get lost on the conversation. :P

[]´s

EDIT 1 - AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext (info.plist line content)

<string>0x002d100b</string>

When I got to this folder in Finder, my file as highlighted in red. Red generally means something´s wrong.

post-223908-1230694529_thumb.png

EDIT 2 - DPCIManager result screen

post-223908-1230693793_thumb.png