AMD breaking up comfirmed.

^_^

13 posts in this topic

Well it's about time. AMD has long been behind, and while they started out good, this has been coming for ages.

um didnt they just sell to one of their own companies? And the head guy from AMD fab is justing moving over to the new company. They also got 8 billion in cash for this deal.

Dont freak out yet they are still sticking around, but intel only needs a couple more generations of better chips to take them out of the mainstream market and server market

No, they just split into 2 companies.

But don't count AMD out though, if AMD is smart, they'll start doing what ATI is doing. Best performance for price ratio. Which the new 9950 Phenom 125watt tdp quads, are priced lower than the major quads from intel besides the q6600, which it even beats. Plus, there are rumors that the denab cpus from AMD can get up to 4.3 ghz overclock on air.

If you need any recent indicator of how competition is vital, look at ATI's latest cards. The only way nVidia could respond in the short term was to drop the price of their new (and overpriced) 260 and 280 cards. I'm not dissing the cards, but jeez how did we get to the stage of paying more for a gfx card than a whole PC? The fact that they could suddenly shave off a sizable chunk of the cost shows how much they've been gouging customers of late.

I've been using nVidia for years after seeing too may issues in the old days with ATI drivers. But I don't want to see them have their own way. They "took care" of 3DFX back in the day and if ATI were to bail out gfx card users would be screwed. Plus I'd love a nice low-power cpu/mobo combo to use as an always-on home server. The Atom looks nice but Intel currently pair it with a mobo chipset that drains more power than the CPU. With Via's nano also holding it's own it's important for everyone to see AMD/ATI keep the pressure on the big players. We wouldn't have the cheap-as-chips C2Ds if it weren't for Intel trying to knock AMD out of the low-cost performance CPU sector.