Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Thank you for the great work on this forum.

Im running A150 with iDeneb according to the original post on this forum. Went from 10.5.2 to .5 no problems.

Im using vanilla kernel. Here is my question.

Ethernet only works if plugged in while boot.

when i try to turn machine off, OSX goes off but i have to hold power button so Mobo will turn off as well. This is the only problem that bugs me right now.

I have just noticed that the autoswitch for my audio is not working.

I really dont care much about these little things but, if you could help me out with the Mobo shutdown that is greatly appreciated. I also dont care about going to .6 so i would like to switch my kernel to the latest vodoo as i read the perf is better, is that true ?

Anyone know what should i select on customize for the XXX x86 install disc ?

is there a centralized place of what works what not or what is the best distro out of the box ?

Thank you,

so i would like to switch my kernel to the latest vodoo as i read the perf is better, is that true ?

Anyone know what should i select on customize for the XXX x86 install disc ?

is there a centralized place of what works what not or what is the best distro out of the box ?

Voodoo is better than the vanilla kernel simply because it enables the Hyper Threading for the Atom chip.

If you read the previous page, pg. 34, I have written a step by step as to what to choose in the XxX distro, and I prefer this distro now, as they include tons of drivers and automatically update them with new ones when available. They are also good about applying ppf patches to correct anything with their installers. Also no problems with shut down, unless you use the voodoo kernel where there is a slight bug, but should be updated in their next release.

~Stephen

Voodoo is better than the vanilla kernel simply because it enables the Hyper Threading for the Atom chip.

If you read the previous page, pg. 34, I have written a step by step as to what to choose in the XxX distro, and I prefer this distro now, as they include tons of drivers and automatically update them with new ones when available. They are also good about applying ppf patches to correct anything with their installers. Also no problems with shut down, unless you use the voodoo kernel where there is a slight bug, but should be updated in their next release.

~Stephen

awesome dude, thx a bunch, i will image my install now and try the xxx disc

WOW! ok so its been some time coming since I have posted and I decided to do a refresh of my Acer as I was experiencing some just weird problems with my previous kalyway install up to 10.5.6. Decided to use the new XxX 10.5.6 Full Iso (check the green demon for it), as it had the most up-to-date kext's as well as bootloader. And I just wanted to share all that I had to do to get it fully functional, which quite surprisingly was not much at all, WooHoo!

And this is only for installing OS X on the AAO...

XxX 10.5.6 Full install...

Click Customize in the installer and choose...

- Essential System software

- PC_EFI9

- DSDT Patch

- Essential Kexts

- Optional Kernel: Voodoo 9.5 v1.0 - (just works better than Vanilla even under 10.5.6)

- Chipset: new ICHx

- Video: IntelGMA950 - Only the one for AAO, no others i.e. kext's or the frame buffer

- Audio: ALC268 AA1

- Network: RealTekR1000.driver, (AtherosWireless - not sure if it works as I replaced it)

- Power: ACPiBatteryManager - Chun Nan

- Others: USB Fix, Boot Prompt

- Tools - (there are a lot of really good utilities in here)

Once rebooted and up...

- Type in the following command in Terminal Mode:

- Sudo vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfigurationcom.apple.Boot.plist

- System will ask you for your password, you may enter your password

- look for "Kernel Flags" and put "cpus=2".

- Press i to insert item

Eg.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=2</string>

Press Esc

Press and hold shift than wq

Than type wq, hit enter, and exit Terminal

Install Kext...

- Open Kext Helper

- Install Seatbelt.kext (needed from 10.5.5)

- Open Disk Utility and Repair Permission and Restart

For mic use...

- Download StickMAC kext compilation file at this link >> http://www.mediafire.com/?vmwyyzdmh3y

- unzip the file

- open kext helper and drag and drop AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext

- type in password and click EASY Install

- to be safe Open Terminal

- type "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /" without ""

- reboot AAO

Battery Meter

- Decided to use the Slim Battery Manager in the Applications folder, this installs with the tools option and

works very well and is smaller

Thanks goes out to brgroup, aztec_knight, Blue-K, & Pencils, all of whom I credit for their work, previous guides and help in getting this put together. The new XxX 10.5.6 takes care of a lot, you can try the Atheros drivers, but I did a card swap to an 802.11n card (much f'ing faster and worth the $26). And just in case anyone wants to know...

My system config is: 1.5 Gb RAM 320GB 7200 RPM drive, Macbook pull 802.11n mini pci-e wifi (yes an actual apple part in the Hack-Intosh) and 7200 mah battery good for roughly 5:30 hours runtime, and custom paint job :) ...

~Stephen

Edit/update...

I recommend using the XxX distro as it is the most complete with little to edit, and best drivers out of all the installers I have found.

This is uper sweet dude, im just waiting on my ghost image and i will be doing it soon. Disc is ready, cant wait.

I have my AO150 with 1.5G, 160HD, Touch Screen, internal bluetooh, and i swapped the wifi card for the 1390. What i want to do now is to update the HD and a custom decal.

Share the pics of your machine. Where did you get the paint job ? Im thinking decalgirl for a decal, but i want to pesonalize it.

EDITED:

Lame question...how do i backup my current seatbelt.kext .... i know i have to use pacifist to extract it , but i have no clue in which package to look for it.

Ok,

I got tired of waiting for the ghost image of my system, i have one that is closer to what i had so anything i will use that.

Installed according to your post on page 27 and everything went like a breeze, machine is indeed faster, about 20% i'd say. I read some people reported it going too hot, i will be very concerned if this happens to me. i hate hot machines B)

Anyway, autoswitching for audio is working out of the box, my touchscreen is up and running, i DO NOT get kernel panic while shutting it down, the same thing happens as in my previous installation, the system shutdowns but the MOBO keeps on, so i have to manually press and hold the power button ( but i dont see any kernel panic. )

What bothers me now is that everytime i turn the machine on it goes to the screen that asks me to either press "enter" or to input boot options, and i have to "enter" everytime to start. Did a lil research, but im tired so ill look tomorow, if anyone reads this and cares to point me in the direction to fix this , MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Anyway, as far as i read about this latest Voodoo, i can do the apple updates ( but im not a maniac about this stuff anyway ), so it looks like im good.

In the end this upgrade gave me a faster machine, and fixed some of the little stuff i new were buggy in my previous install, not that im crazy about them because im not.

Thank you all for the good work !!!

Hi there ppl,

One small question.

Im running 1.5.6 now on my AAO for a while, and it runs great.

But im missing one feature, and thats hooking up my external monitor. Any way how to get an external monitor working

as default screen? So that the AAO's screen is off?

Thanks!

Hey,

Does someone know how to get the startup sound to work?

Other sounds work, but this seems to be deleted...

Any ideas?

This was not deleted, quick history lesson....

The wonderful mac startup chime that most of us know about and love is actually a hardware test. It is part of a "real" macs firmware and tells us that the initial startup tests of all components has completed and is working properly. If you do not hear this chime at startup on a "real" mac, lets just say you should start praying... I would love to add this to my own little hack-intosh but I do not know if its possible due to several factors. So in short it was not deleted its just not there as it only comes with Mac firmware!

This is uper sweet dude, im just waiting on my ghost image and i will be doing it soon. Disc is ready, cant wait.

I have my AO150 with 1.5G, 160HD, Touch Screen, internal bluetooh, and i swapped the wifi card for the 1390. What i want to do now is to update the HD and a custom decal.

Share the pics of your machine. Where did you get the paint job ? Im thinking decalgirl for a decal, but i want to pesonalize it.

EDITED:

Lame question...how do i backup my current seatbelt.kext .... i know i have to use pacifist to extract it , but i have no clue in which package to look for it.

I actually did the paint job myself, I will see about setting up a pic on here later, and I actually think the XxX install includes the correct seatbelt.kext. If this was not included the keyboard and trackpad would not work right after install and reboot.

Ok,

I got tired of waiting for the ghost image of my system, i have one that is closer to what i had so anything i will use that.

Installed according to your post on page 27 and everything went like a breeze, machine is indeed faster, about 20% i'd say. I read some people reported it going too hot, i will be very concerned if this happens to me. i hate hot machines :D

Anyway, autoswitching for audio is working out of the box, my touchscreen is up and running, i DO NOT get kernel panic while shutting it down, the same thing happens as in my previous installation, the system shutdowns but the MOBO keeps on, so i have to manually press and hold the power button ( but i dont see any kernel panic. )

What bothers me now is that everytime i turn the machine on it goes to the screen that asks me to either press "enter" or to input boot options, and i have to "enter" everytime to start. Did a lil research, but im tired so ill look tomorow, if anyone reads this and cares to point me in the direction to fix this , MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Anyway, as far as i read about this latest Voodoo, i can do the apple updates ( but im not a maniac about this stuff anyway ), so it looks like im good.

In the end this upgrade gave me a faster machine, and fixed some of the little stuff i new were buggy in my previous install, not that im crazy about them because im not.

Thank you all for the good work !!!

As far as your shut down problem, what version of BIOS is your machine at?

When you startup and get that prompt where you have to hit enter, this is normal, it was the boot prompt option in the installer. If you did not do that you would lose this pormpt entirely, in case you had to make changes during the boot later on, it would not be there. And Voodoo does allow for updates from Apple, just not full system updates, like 10.5.6 and up, you would need to change to the vanilla kernel for that. Oh and dont worry about it running hot, some heat will be coming out as Voodoo enables hyperthreading and that automatically runs slightly higher as its processing 2 threads at once, instead of 1.

~Stephen

As far as your shut down problem, what version of BIOS is your machine at?

When you startup and get that prompt where you have to hit enter, this is normal, it was the boot prompt option in the installer. If you did not do that you would lose this pormpt entirely, in case you had to make changes during the boot later on, it would not be there. And Voodoo does allow for updates from Apple, just not full system updates, like 10.5.6 and up, you would need to change to the vanilla kernel for that. Oh and dont worry about it running hot, some heat will be coming out as Voodoo enables hyperthreading and that automatically runs slightly higher as its processing 2 threads at once, instead of 1.

~Stephen

1) Spoke too soon, just noticed that on batery the kernel panic does happen.

2) Is there a way, now that the system is perfect for me, to bypass the "press enter to start darwin" prompt ? all i want is hit power and let the os boot by itself.

3) I installed some updates fine, thx for that, im not going to install security 2009-001 as it broke my mac mini and i had to applejack it to get it working properly again.

4) I will try to keep cool about the running too hot, maybe i will use it outside a bit ( so freakin cold here in toronto ).

5) Thanks for the good work! I love my new setup, Voodoo is muchhh faster.

p.s.: I just started installing this very same disk on a Dell E6500. So far got ethernet, video, webcam to work fine without much work. Audio drivers are bit off work. Anyway ... thank you for all the responses but if you can help with item number 2 it will make it even better!!!

ps2: iLife 09 works flawlessly on it!

1) Spoke too soon, just noticed that on batery the kernel panic does happen.

2) Is there a way, now that the system is perfect for me, to bypass the "press enter to start darwin" prompt ? all i want is hit power and let the os boot by itself.

3) I installed some updates fine, thx for that, im not going to install security 2009-001 as it broke my mac mini and i had to applejack it to get it working properly again.

4) I will try to keep cool about the running too hot, maybe i will use it outside a bit ( so freakin cold here in toronto ).

5) Thanks for the good work! I love my new setup, Voodoo is muchhh faster.

p.s.: I just started installing this very same disk on a Dell E6500. So far got ethernet, video, webcam to work fine without much work. Audio drivers are bit off work. Anyway ... thank you for all the responses but if you can help with item number 2 it will make it even better!!!

ps2: iLife 09 works flawlessly on it!

#2 I have not found a way around this as of yet, but again if you do not install this, you lose the prompt all together, better to have it with a slight annoyance than not at all. The security update worked just fine for me, and what is the BIOS version you have installed on your AAO?

~Stephen

dear all,

I have two questions

First)

i have a problem with the MIC , the sound is very low and can not be calibrate with the key "appleHDA" from StickMAC™ .

Second)

I change my wifi card by a dell 1500n broadcom 43xx working fine with Airport but can not be controled with the wificontroller (switch). I didn't install any key to recognise this card.

If i use one time the switch to disable my wifi card i can not enable her again. Airport still disable and impossible to change the status if i click on it.

Do you have any solution for me?

Thanks

FIXED: I was about to quit when i did -f in the prompt ( and i was think F*** this ..... ) and it came back on

im having this exact same problem, i used the ao1 switch to turn the card off to watch a movie thinking baterry life would be better, and i cant enable it again ;)

im so desperate please help help helppppp :hysterical:

#2 I have not found a way around this as of yet, but again if you do not install this, you lose the prompt all together, better to have it with a slight annoyance than not at all. The security update worked just fine for me, and what is the BIOS version you have installed on your AAO?

~Stephen

my bios is 3304

do u know anything about the wifi switch ?

hi,

nice guide... but I have got some problems with that...

1. nothing happens if I tpye "Sudo vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" in ... so I copied the file to the desktop... changed it ... and then I changed permissions and copied it back...

is that a problem or is that ok?!

2. If i do the 10.5.5 update my acer hangs-up ... the last time at 51% ... then I just can power off the machine and then the MacOSX is destroid and I can reinstall everything... Why does the update from 10.5.5 always hang up?! Is the problem that I have a never bios version than 3304 ... I use the latest bios... I think it's 3308 ... Is that a problem?!

Thanks for help!

FIXED: I was about to quit when i did -f in the prompt ( and i was think F*** this ..... ) and it came back on

im having this exact same problem, i used the ao1 switch to turn the card off to watch a movie thinking baterry life would be better, and i cant enable it again :)

im so desperate please help help helppppp :D

my bios is 3304

do u know anything about the wifi switch ?

The switch will only work under windows, when you disable the card on the mac side, it will not come back on unless you either do a complete re-install, or unseat the wifi card and place it back in. The best way to conserve the power would be to just turn Airport off via the Airport menu. For the Bios I would recommend updating to at least 3305 as it fixed some error I cannot recall in 3304. I am running 3309 as it was to fix a problem with charging the battery and so far so good. Updating this might fix your problem with shutting down,

hi,

nice guide... but I have got some problems with that...

1. nothing happens if I tpye "Sudo vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" in ... so I copied the file to the desktop... changed it ... and then I changed permissions and copied it back...

is that a problem or is that ok?!

2. If i do the 10.5.5 update my acer hangs-up ... the last time at 51% ... then I just can power off the machine and then the MacOSX is destroid and I can reinstall everything... Why does the update from 10.5.5 always hang up?! Is the problem that I have a never bios version than 3304 ... I use the latest bios... I think it's 3308 ... Is that a problem?!

Thanks for help!

In response to #1, I would recommend not copying it to the desktop to change it,I would recommend backing up a copy, and then changing the direct file via the command line. As for response to #2, I would recommend using a newer distribution such as the XxX 10.5.6 final iso, and apply ppf #3. This way you do not have to worry about doing any of the updates and some of the underlying software has been fixed. To install from this distribution you can follow these simple guide that I created on the previous page of this forum from the compilation of others' work. I would also recommend updating your bios to version 3309.

~Stephen

The switch will only work under windows, when you disable the card on the mac side, it will not come back on unless you either do a complete re-install, or unseat the wifi card and place it back in. The best way to conserve the power would be to just turn Airport off via the Airport menu. For the Bios I would recommend updating to at least 3305 as it fixed some error I cannot recall in 3304. I am running 3309 as it was to fix a problem with charging the battery and so far so good. Updating this might fix your problem with shutting down,

In response to #1, I would recommend not copying it to the desktop to change it,I would recommend backing up a copy, and then changing the direct file via the command line. As for response to #2, I would recommend using a newer distribution such as the XxX 10.5.6 final iso, and apply ppf #3. This way you do not have to worry about doing any of the updates and some of the underlying software has been fixed. To install from this distribution you can follow these simple guide that I created on the previous page of this forum from the compilation of others' work. I would also recommend updating your bios to version 3309.

~Stephen

found that weird too.

On the wireless i as said, i was able to fix it using the -f switch at the boot options. i updated my bios to 3309 and im getting a better baterry life now, around hour and half, i really need to buy the other batery

Anyway i love my install now .... So we confirm updates from apple work on the voodoo kernel right ?

Im not installing security 2009-001 as it screwed up my mac mini install ...even though a lot of people report sucess with it using a hackingtosh im not willing to risk it!

My next step is setup my VMWare fusion !!!!

Have a great night

In the terminal

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

it will now open a terminal-based text editor

go to

<key>Timeout</key>

<string></string>

change it to

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

Hit Ctrl+O to write the file. Hit Y when it asks to overwrite. Then hit Ctrl+X to close the editor. Now you have a 1 second timeout, before it continues to boot. You can change this into any number.

While you're at it. You can also at

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=2</string>

if you are running Voodoo.

Although I like the terminal some people don't. Alternatively you can yse OSX86Tools and hit the Add EFI Strings/Boot Flags button and change the settings there:

post-110063-1236331855_thumb.png

Thanks for the guide, Up and running smooth on my ACER Aspire one AOA150-1777

*Installed using OSXMSIWind.ISO*

Sounds working*<----- alc268 Driver needed

Video Working*<-----OOTB

Both SD Drives working* <-----Drivers needed

Webcam working* <-----OOTB

WIFi working*<------ mackerintel IO80211family.kext <-----Requires to hold the wireless button at power up, and a second push at the HDD menu for it to work every time.

Very happy over all, wireless I can live with as it only a small process to achieve working. Re-Apply Drivers after 10.5.6 update.

Mostly Vanilla system :rolleyes:

I've attached mackerintel Modded IO80211FAMILY.KEXT--- I've added more Wireless Cards to it.

Picture2-4.png

very nice ... Wiki is working with that kext ... but it doesn't find any networks ... What's the problem !? How can I fix that ?! What did I do wrong ?! Please help me!

found that weird too.

On the wireless i as said, i was able to fix it using the -f switch at the boot options. i updated my bios to 3309 and im getting a better baterry life now, around hour and half, i really need to buy the other batery

Anyway i love my install now .... So we confirm updates from apple work on the voodoo kernel right ?

Im not installing security 2009-001 as it screwed up my mac mini install ...even though a lot of people report sucess with it using a hackingtosh im not willing to risk it!

My next step is setup my VMWare fusion !!!!

Have a great night

Apple updates work with the Voodoo Kernel, the only ones that do not are System Updates i.e 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6 as those need special care, and the security update works just fine, it could have been a fluke with your mini.

~Stephen

In the terminal

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

it will now open a terminal-based text editor

go to

<key>Timeout</key>

<string></string>

change it to

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

Hit Ctrl+O to write the file. Hit Y when it asks to overwrite. Then hit Ctrl+X to close the editor. Now you have a 1 second timeout, before it continues to boot. You can change this into any number.

While you're at it. You can also at

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=2</string>

if you are running Voodoo.

Although I like the terminal some people don't. Alternatively you can yse OSX86Tools and hit the Add EFI Strings/Boot Flags button and change the settings there:

post-110063-1236331855_thumb.png

Thank you man, i really appreciate your help, i have set a 5 sec timeout and that works really good for me.

I followed the instructions for using the XxX 10.5.6 disk on my A150, but after following all the steps, the screen resolution doesn't run in the native 1024x600 resolution. I tried installing the AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, ClamshellDisplay.kext and Natit.kext kexts, but after fixing disk permissions and rebooting, well, it wouldn't boot past the grey Apple screen. Any ideas how I can make it run in the native resolution?

Edit: Never mind! I fiddled with it, it works so long as you don't install the AppleIntelGMA950 kext. Duh!

• 3 weeks later...
Any tips on getting wireless to work? I did the kismac thing and it doesnt come up with any wifi networks...

i had the same proble with my previus install (kalyway 10.5.5) and my atheors wifi card... so i decided to swap my card... it's worth the $... i hate to follow a lot of steps just to get a simple internet connection...