Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

The most recent official Acer Aspire One bios is v3305 released last October

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/noteb...as_one_110.html

I dont get kernel panic using the 10.5.4 version.

Ahh I see what it is... that is from the Euro site, its not posted on the US site... I will have to update that when I get home, maybe that will fix it... Thanks...

~Stephen

Update

Apparantly there is a Bios version 3307 that was released on the 13th of november... hmmmm

http://sites.google.com/site/maclesblogspotcom/

Let me know if anyone has some success with this...

Does anyone know how to install (and run) Parallels 4 on Aspire One running OS X (installed with this topic help)?

Tried 4 yesterday. Its a no go. During install Parallels reports that it only runs on CPUs that support 'virtualization'

Bill...

Does anyone know how to install (and run) Parallels 4 on Aspire One running OS X (installed with this topic help)?

Tried 4 yesterday. Its a no go. During install Parallels reports that it only runs on CPUs that support 'virtualization'

Bill...

And the reason for this is that the Atom chip does not, and probably will not support virtualization, remember this chip is being geared towards UMPC's and internet tablets. Intel at one point said they were not going to be that great of a chip in a netbook, yet they seem to do pretty well.

~Stephen

Update/Question

Has anyone been able to change the Bios to use 64Mb of shared video memory vs the 8 for the GMA950?

Thanks, I am running the 10.5.5 PowerManagement.bundle and the Battery manager.kext works just fine, but the problem is during shutdown, it kernels panics, do you get this under the 10.5.4 powermanagement bundle?

And I am also running the 3305 bios, I will double check to be sure, but I remember doing the update..

~Stephen

Update

I just checked and I do have the most recent bios its 3304 not 3305, so I am a little clueless right now about the kernel panic...

Seeing the same thing on shutdown 'IF' I'm running off battery. If I'm

plugged in the the charger shutdown is 'normal'. Same with 10.5.4 and

10.5.5 powermanagement.bundles

Bill...

So I decided to do the 3307 BIOS update, ad thus far it works well. It is definitely nice to have many levels of brightness to choose fro now for the display. Will keep you posted on anything else that might change otherwise it did not brick my machine =)

~Stephen

Thank you for writing this tutorial. It worked well. I opened it up and swapped with Dell 1390 wireless card. Everything is working now. And I am using voodoo_beta2 xnu kernel so there is also hyperthreading.

Does any one know whether it is possible to enable two finger scrolling on AA1? If yes I will then do it. If not, I will not bother trying. Thanks~!

Hi everyone, I got my aspire One with a triple boot with XP, Leopard and Ubuntu on it for some time now (used this thread for instaling OSX) and after stalking this thread for some time now I guess I'll contribute a bit here.

I've beeen using a power management bundle I extracted from a kalyway installaton (can't remember the version) and it works just fine, displays battery in time and percentage, no kernel panics, etc. If anyone wants it here it is.

PowerManagement_bundle_powermanagement.rar

Hi everyone, I got my aspire One with a triple boot with XP, Leopard and Ubuntu on it for some time now (used this thread for instaling OSX) and after stalking this thread for some time now I guess I'll contribute a bit here.

I've beeen using a power management bundle I extracted from a kalyway installaton (can't remember the version) and it works just fine, displays battery in time and percentage, no kernel panics, etc. If anyone wants it here it is.

PowerManagement_bundle_powermanagement.rar

Thanks, just installed this and it appears to be working great! Thank you much.

And if there is no chance of sleep whatsoever, has anyone enabled/tested putting the AA1 under 'deep sleep' in OS X?

Just an idea, for those of us like myself who need to be able to move quickly with their OS X enabled AA1:

Under OS X, install InsomniaX (prevents the computer from going to sleep under OS X)

Now, download the hibernation dashboard widget

Ensure the widget is set to Deep Sleep, not safe or regular.

I have no way of testing this until my external CD bay arrives and I can actually install OS X, but if anyone would like to try it, I would definitely appreciate it!

I just tried InsomniaX and the hibernation widget. Running together, and running separate, under various different settings. None worked - (all resulted in the computer rebooting) :star_sunglasses:

But I should mention that with InsomniaX enabled - I can now close the laptop and the computer will remain on (the screen will turn off though) - then when reopening - voila, the computer is still running. It may not exactly be sleep (more like awake with head down and eyes shut) but that will do for now I suppose. ;)

I just tried InsomniaX and the hibernation widget. Running together, and running separate, under various different settings. None worked - (all resulted in the computer rebooting) :(

But I should mention that with InsomniaX enabled and the hibernation set to disabled - I can now close the laptop and the computer will remain on (the screen will turn off though) - then when reopening - voila, the computer is still running. It may not exactly be sleep (more like awake with it's head down and eyes shut) but that will do for now I suppose. :D

That is awesome to hear, I wonder why the whole thing won't go to sleep then... hmmm but I do have one question. Does it get any warmer when you do that? I would try this only because there would be short times where I need to have it "sleep"...

Hi there,

im just wondering something, if I don't have a external CD/DVD drive how do I install OSX on the Acer One? Can all the information need be booted from a USB stick?

All the best

NSCXP2005

Simply put, yes you can as long as the Flash Drive has enough space. Would you want to???? umm from what I have heard the time frame to get this done is many hours, so I would say plan on watching a few movies or get some video games to play...

~Stephen

Just a quick add on...

For anyone curious about the Video Memory that reads 8MB in the Bios. The whole GMA950 and 945 Express Chipset is setup so that the base amount of shared memory is set to 8MB. And apparently when the system calls on it, ie (I think the System Software) it will dynamically increase or decrease the amount used. On other forums I have found some macbook owners trying to increase the amount as the GMA 950 can utilize up to 224MB of shared memory. But it appears and god willing, that if the driver is written correctly for the GMA 950 in OS X for the Aspire One, OS X is hardwired to only use 64MB of shared memory no matter what. So it looks like that again, god willing the driver was written correctly, OS X will automatically set the system to use 64MB vs the standard 8MB listed in BIOS.

~Stephen

That is awesome to hear, I wonder why the whole thing won't go to sleep then... hmmm but I do have one question. Does it get any warmer when you do that? I would try this only because there would be short times where I need to have it "sleep"...

InsomniaX is sort of an interesting substitute for the sleep issue for now anyway. It isn't really sleep at all but rather it does the opposite and keeps your computer awake (except the monitor) But at least I can close the computer and re-open it now.

And it's kinda cool to listen to music with the laptop closed - which is what InsomniaX was programmed for I believe.

I probably wouldn't worry too much about the aspire one overheating from this. But I would want to test that more thoroughly before leaving it that way for hours at a time just to be sure.

Longest I left the AAO on with the top down was 10 minutes (listened to some music on the computer with it shut) and it wasn't any hotter than normal, which isn't very hot at all.

I think they made that warning statement to consider for laptops that run with much higher heat. My wife has a HP pavilion laptop that gets incredibly hot above the top left of the keyboard - so for that particular computer if it were able to stay on with the monitor closed for an extended period of time, I wouldn't be surprised if the screen melted :(

One problem I am experiencing is the InsomniaX application isn't loading on startup (even though "load on startup" is checked in it's settings) so I have to open it and and enable it whenever starting up the computer.

Anyone know how to make it open on startup? (Added it to login items under System Prefs->Accounts->Login Items. That did the trick. Thanks SBMac.)

Even better, I would still like to see someone actually come up with a true fix for the sleep issue, so please don't give up on that yet!

One problem I am experiencing is the InsomniaX application isn't loading on startup (even though "load on startup" is checked in it's settings) so I have to open it and and enable it whenever starting up the computer.

Anyone know how to make it open on startup?

Have you tried to add it to your login items under the User Accounts in System Preferences? That could fix the problem, hopefully...

~Stephen

Update

I have also installed Insomniax and it works well for closing the display, no heat issues from what I can see but don't put it into a case as that heat will build rapidly.

Hey guys,

I have finally installed mac on my AA1.

It was working fine until i came to the update step.

I had updated with 10.5.4

Then when i was updating with 10.5.5 the laptop freezed so powered it off and turned it On again now it does not boot mac.

Whenever i load it say restart.

I tried safe mode what not

Mac Os : not found that what it says.

What do i do.

Reinstall or can i restore the system.

Please help me out guys

Hey guys! THANK YOU for this thread, I successfully installed Mac 10.5.5 last night using these directions, and I could not have done it without them....!!

One Newbie question though... What Software Updates are safe to install AFTER everything is set up? Should I be using the Software Updates program, and just grab the stuff there, or do I have to be more selective on what to grab??

Thanks again for the help on this!!

cts

Does any one know whether it is possible to enable two finger scrolling on AA1? If yes I will then do it. If not, I will not bother trying. Thanks~!

Yes trackpad scrolling possible - I just did this to mine :)

Here's how to do it: Follow all of the instructions ranova gives at the following url:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

NOTE: After step four, your trackpad may become a bit shakey :wacko: so having an external mouse will make finishing the remaining steps much easier. I did it without an external mouse but it requires just a bit of patience to operate that "caffinated mouse"!

Once you get to step 6 it should be controllable. But don't forget to do step 9 or your mouse will act up again after you restart.

It works pretty good! I haven't had time to try to optimize the settings yet though.

With my current settings its not a two finger scrolling but rather:

• finger tip = normal mouse
  • pad of finger flat = scrolling

Here's my current FFscroll Settings (pretty much default):

• Vertical Scrolling Sensitivity and Speed settings: low
  • Samples to log: 8
  • Sample Threshold:60
  • Sample Decline Threshold:10

Then theres two more settings at the bottom of the window but I don't know what they are cause they don't fit on the screen under the System Preferences window :withstupid:

A few bugs I've noticed so far:

• If you try to use the pad callibration in FFscroll, it doesn't seem to do anything and you will have to force quit to get out of it.
  • A few times when vertical scrolling the scrollbar was jumping around sparatically. Moving the sensitivity slider in FFscroll fixed this both times it happened to me.
  • Drag-lock has stopped working for me. When double tapping windows won't drag but it does lock (you can't single click anything until you double tap again) Since this isn't working right for me at the moment, I've turned drag-lock off all together. So consider which is more important to you (trackpad scrolling or trackpad dragging) before doing this install. Surely there's a way to have both but that will require a bit more tweeking.

If anyone comes up with some good settings for FFscroll for the Aspire One please post them.

Hey guys,

I have finally installed mac on my AA1.

It was working fine until i came to the update step.

I had updated with 10.5.4

Then when i was updating with 10.5.5 the laptop freezed so powered it off and turned it On again now it does not boot mac.

Whenever i load it say restart.

I tried safe mode what not

Mac Os : not found that what it says.

What do i do.

Reinstall or can i restore the system.

Please help me out guys

I had the same damn thing happen to me on one of the installs I was running, it took me a few to get things just right, and the only thing I could do was a full re-install. When the update freezes it screws with very important system files and just goes fubar. Sorry no fix other than total re-install.

I'm pulling the trigger! Just a quick question. How does Leopard run on Acer One? the atom 1.6 CPU is good for the big Leopard?

Remarkably Leopard runs pretty smoothly, I use this guy for just some basic things nothing to intensive and it works very well. Office, internet, email, ichat all run just fine. Have not tried anything to intensive just because that is what my other computers are for :) . This is just to get me through school,,,

Hey guys! THANK YOU for this thread, I successfully installed Mac 10.5.5 last night using these directions, and I could not have done it without them....!!

One Newbie question though... What Software Updates are safe to install AFTER everything is set up? Should I be using the Software Updates program, and just grab the stuff there, or do I have to be more selective on what to grab??

I know this is going to sound like I am being a {censored}, but I am really not trying to be. I know its a 10 page forum but please try to read as much as you can. I know personally I have said 3 times now that you can run all updates using the Vanilla Kernel, as well as the countless others who have said this as well. Before you post, please try to read as much as possible. There are soo many others that have the same questions and problems that a lot of us do, and its quite thoroughly documented here. I know it sounds harsh but just throwing this out there. Please Read this forum before asking your ?'s Thank you

~Stephen

I know this is going to sound like I am being a {censored}, but I am really not trying to be. I know its a 10 page forum but please try to read as much as you can. I know personally I have said 3 times now that you can run all updates using the Vanilla Kernel, as well as the countless others who have said this as well. Before you post, please try to read as much as possible. There are soo many others that have the same questions and problems that a lot of us do, and its quite thoroughly documented here. I know it sounds harsh but just throwing this out there. Please Read this forum before asking your ?'s Thank you

~Stephen

Sorry, I did read through most of the 10 pages, but missed this..... :unsure: Thanks though. I have another problem, but will reread this stuff before posting......

HEY I *can* be taught! Post #171 will hopefully fix my Kernel Panic at shutdown issue, will try in a second. :)

cts