Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

I had an AA1 1492 model. Nice. I had loaded Leopard on an external drive. Worked great except for wireless. I was going to get a Dell 1390 card but before I could...

I was trying an install to a USB 4 gig flash drive... did all the blessing etc. I went away for a few minutes and left the DVD to do its install. I came back and the computer seemed to be asleep. I tried to wake it.... it was dead. For the next day I tried to resuscitate the machine, it was well and truly borked.

I'd only had it for 3 days so I took it back. Acer replaced it but it came back with a really old BIOS, so old that it wouldn't wake from sleep in windows and it wouldn't boot from USB ports (so U couldn't flash the BIOS). They also screwed up the return of the batteries but that is another story.

I ended up just leaving it at the store and they are gonna try to get a Wind U100 for me.

I really don't know what happened during the install and my absence, whether the machine over heated or if it was a manufacture problem but needless to say I wasn't impressed with the Acer's response.

Just my experience with Acer. Bla.

Khan

I ended up just leaving it at the store and they are gonna try to get a Wind U100 for me.

I really don't know what happened during the install and my absence, whether the machine over heated or if it was a manufacture problem but needless to say I wasn't impressed with the Acer's response.

Just my experience with Acer. Bla.

Khan

WOW!!! :unsure::):blink::blink::blink: I cant believe that happened to you, I have been pretty impressed with this little thing so far, here is to hoping that doesn't happen... esshhh I feel your pain...

~Stephen

I had the same prob with 10.5.5, followed the guide to the letter (even though ive installed os x loads before) then went through the updates, both worked fine, then 10.5.5 {censored}ed it up, even with the script running...

Then i redid it all, and this time, with 10.5.5 I used the pre and post update patches here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102 AND the script (to be safe) and it worked.

(By the way, the guide is now on aspireoneuser.com/forum)

Rory

Voodoo kernel release candidate has been released

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

supports Intel Atom processors and it improves performance.

My AAO with voodoo boots faster and programs runs / opens quickly. A 20% + increase performance score as per xbench. :)

Copy the mach_kernel.voodoo at the root folder. Its advisable to install it modifying your

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

file and change the Kernel key to point to the Voodoo kernel. You can also remove the "cpus=1" at the Kernel Flags just like the original install (or put "cpus=2")

After installing and you want to upgrade via Apple sofware update. Restart your AAO and press F8 at Darwin boot and just type "mach_kernel cpus=1" without the quotes . This will log you using the vanilla kernel and you can update thru Apple.

Update...

Well I just got a few new upgrades in the mail yesterday and finally got everything going. I now have a Seagate 320GB 7200 RPM drive in the AAO and 1.5 GB Ram using a Geil 1 GB Stick of DDR2-667 Cas Latency 4. It does make a slight difference, and the snappier drive is nice as well. I also have one of those 9 Cell batteries that are on ebay and its nice, I get just about 7:30HRS of use with all of this, and the battery puts a slight incline to the AAO for typing. Next to come is the Apple Macbook 802.11n mini PCI-E card. And there is another Bios update out, 3308 but I have heard there are some problems, sticking with 3307 for now and liking it.

~Stephen

Update...

Well I just got a few new upgrades in the mail yesterday and finally got everything going. I now have a Seagate 320GB 7200 RPM drive in the AAO and 1.5 GB Ram using a Geil 1 GB Stick of DDR2-667 Cas Latency 4. It does make a slight difference, and the snappier drive is nice as well. I also have one of those 9 Cell batteries that are on ebay and its nice, I get just about 7:30HRS of use with all of this, and the battery puts a slight incline to the AAO for typing. Next to come is the Apple Macbook 802.11n mini PCI-E card. And there is another Bios update out, 3308 but I have heard there are some problems, sticking with 3307 for now and liking it.

~Stephen

It will sure boost performance of AAO if you upgrade the HDD to 7200rpm instead of using the default 5400rpm speed and more....if you'll use the voodoo kernel with a standby vanilla kernel . :)

It will sure boost performance of AAO if you upgrade the HDD to 7200rpm instead of using the default 5400rpm speed and more....if you'll use the voodoo kernel with a standby vanilla kernel . :)

Ok flat out stupid question since I am still drunk off my ass(LOL) from turkey day and just what the hell, how do I install the voodoo kernel and use that separately from the Vanilla Kernel/keeping both at the same time?

~Stephen

Update...

Now that I am sober, I will leave the funny message just because, but seriously it would be most helpful for a small little guide on how to do that, If I remember correctly you would just choose which kernel in darwin at load, but not certain if its a semi-permanent solution, or if you have to choose it every-time on boot.

Ok flat out stupid question since I am still drunk off my ass(LOL) from turkey day and just what the hell, how do I install the voodoo kernel and use that separately from the Vanilla Kernel/keeping both at the same time?

~Stephen

Yeah, I'd love to do the same here, especially if it means a performance boost or maybe some magic sleep functionality, etc.

i'd like to thank this guide for getting my leopard up and running on my AAO A110. runs quite snappy on SSD actually with the ocassional lag due to the write and after installation, updates and using xslimmer, ive only got 1gb left. any software recommendation to slim down the installation furthermore?

~Stephen

Update...

Now that I am sober, I will leave the funny message just because, but seriously it would be most helpful for a small little guide on how to do that, If I remember correctly you would just choose which kernel in darwin at load, but not certain if its a semi-permanent solution, or if you have to choose it every-time on boot.

here we go, got the voodoo kernel installed in no time, now activity monitor shows 2 cpus!

download the kernel from the link above.

put mach_kernel.voodoo in your /osx/ root directory, the root of your osx HD.

if you're logging in as root, go and edit this file directly:

/library/preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

if you aren't logged in as root, copy that file to your desktop

set the permissions so you can save to it (get info in finder)

change the part in the file where it says "mach_kernel" to "mach_kernel.voodoo"

and change cpus=1 to cpus=2.

save it

copy it back to /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration/

it will ask you to authenticate and enter your password

open up terminal and do this:

sudo -s

(enter password)

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

chown -R root:wheel com.apple.Boot.plist

then reboot and that's that.

if you want to go back to the vanilla kernel, just remove .voodoo from that file, ie, do the steps basically in reverse.

(thanks to this thread too http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132745)

Now to see if this has solved my shutdown issue. Then there's fan control. Anyone get any form of fancontrol going? My laptop is running really hot after a while and it's making me paranoid. There have been some posts about it already, around these forums, but no one really has a solution... something vague about speedstep, etc.

it'd be nice to have that a1cntrl app for mac... fixes the HD clicking issue too.

here we go, got the voodoo kernel installed in no time, now activity monitor shows 2 cpus!

save it

sudo -s

(enter password)

if you want to go back to the vanilla kernel, just remove .voodoo from that file, ie, do the steps basically in reverse.

(thanks to this thread too http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132745)

Now to see if this has solved my shutdown issue. Then there's fan control. Anyone get any form of fancontrol going? My laptop is running really hot after a while and it's making me paranoid. There have been some posts about it already, around these forums, but no one really has a solution... something vague about speedstep, etc.

it'd be nice to have that a1cntrl app for mac... fixes the HD clicking issue too.

Thanks for the little guide, and one thing I did that worked well was use the terminal portion from the first part of the guide when doing the install, and I just edited the mach kernel from here as well....

Type in the following command in Terminal Mode:

Sudo vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

System will ask you for your password, you may enter your password

look for "Kernel Flags" and put "cpus=1".

Press i to insert item

Eg.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

Press Esc

Press shift+:wq

When I get to the part with the wq here is what I have done... I hold down the shift key, and then hit wq. This give you a small prompt and you just type in wq here to write the file and then quit.

And from my understanding the Voodoo Kernel can co-exist with Vanilla, you would just need to edit this file when going to make any Apple updates.

~Stephen

And one more quick update....

I did a verbose startup, and when I went to shutdown with the Voodoo Kernel it kicked back a panic with, "A Driver releasing a(n) AppleHDAController has corrupted the registry\n"@Users/user/voodoo/xnu-1228.7.58/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp:241

If you want more info I will try to pull that back up, but any ideas? as this is also what I get with the Vanilla Kernel.

And as a side note...

My AAO now has 1.5 GB RAM, was trying to use a 2 GB stick, did not work, oh well... A 320GB 7200 RPM drive that is nice and quick, boots in about 35 seconds now, and I have a macbook pulled 802.11n mini Pci-e wifi card. I love this little machine...

Hello,

I have been reading this thread for quite some time, long time windows user and admin just giving a test of osx. I have the AAO 150. I love it so far. I ended up putting in the Dell card, that went pretty smoothly. I tried iDeneb about 10x and never could get it to boot, I gave up. I am using the full installation guide and everything works great. I have battery working, wireless, sound. Now I have a nice tiny portable android dev platform.

I do have a few issues from most critical to least. Some have been asked before but I could not seem to find an answer.

* Video mirror just causes video distortion. I really want to output either a 2nd monitor out, or mirror out.

* Short cuts, how can I get copy & paste to work?

* Mouse shortcuts? Is there anyway I can get more mouse buttons to work? I love my intellimouse explorer, I like my side buttons mapped to browse forward and backwards.

Thanks for all the great info.. As a noob, can someone help me understand the Voodoo kernel. If I understand, it will allow better kernel for the atom, and can use both cores? What are the implications to doing updates? What happens if I don't make any changes to the vanilla kernel? Thanks!

dear all,

I have two questions

First)

i have a problem with the MIC , the sound is very low and can not be calibrate with the key "appleHDA" from StickMAC™ .

Second)

I change my wifi card by a dell 1500n broadcom 43xx working fine with Airport but can not be controled with the wificontroller (switch). I didn't install any key to recognise this card.

If i use one time the switch to disable my wifi card i can not enable her again. Airport still disable and impossible to change the status if i click on it.

Do you have any solution for me?

Thanks

save it

sudo -s

(enter password)

You got it....but for running the vanilla kernel for update you don't need to use the terminal to change the /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.....just type in at Darwin boot (where you see the countdown seconds before loading) F8 or enter....when you see the prompt type "mach_kernel cpus=1" (this is the existing vanilla kernel and need cpus=1 to use it...thats why don't rename the mach_kernel.voodoo to mach_kernel.) without the quotes...then you'll log in using vanilla kernel and you can do the update.... When you restart...it will reboot back to the existing voodoo kernel with cpus=2 with all the updates included and your improve performance.

In my AAO, I only use the vanilla kernel for updates (manual to login and use the voodoo with cpus=2 or you can removed it completely for multithreading for everyday use)...but its up to you what you want in your default kernel (default boot) :)

few questions: i'm getting the same errors with shutdown. ah well, was getting it with the vanilla kernel as well. it's nice to have 2 cpus enabled.

the other thing, though... is there any way to get speedstep enabled here, or is that a kernel modification that has to be done to this new voodoo release? i heard speedstep gets the aao running cooler, because now it seems to be running pretty damn hot, and since no one has found a fan control solution, it'd be nice to have.

i'd really kill for that a1cntrl on osx, it'd solve this hard drive clicking problem too, but again that doesn't seem possible on osx at the moment. anyone found a good fan control yet?

ah, another problem i had was with wireless upload: all my uploads would stall at 99% or somewhere around there, because of some TCP setting. i have to run a terminal script at startup that changes something, but it's a sudo command so i have to put in my password every time. kind of annoying, but not sure exactly how to get around it.

i have a problem with the MIC , the sound is very low and can not be calibrate with the key "appleHDA" from StickMAC™ .

Second)

I change my wifi card by a dell 1500n broadcom 43xx working fine with Airport but can not be controled with the wificontroller (switch). I didn't install any key to recognise this card.

If i use one time the switch to disable my wifi card i can not enable her again. Airport still disable and impossible to change the status if i click on it.

I also have no input control for the internal microphone.

And on the subject the Airport Driver...perhaps it may be related to the sleep issue as well? I honestly have no idea but here's why I am wondering:

After installing SuperHai's EHCI Sleeper, my AAO will enter sleep mode. Then when waking the computer I can see the kernal panic log (when I boot into VooDoo kernel this is displayed)

Here's the comprensable portion of the backtrace:

"Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx(361.9.5)@0x3464d000->0x3478cfff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(214.1)@0x2a35f000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x2467d000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.NetworkingFamily(1.6.1)@0x2a24e000

Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Voodoo; RC1 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386"

So it looks like perhaps this airport driver might be partially to blame for sleep failure??? There's probably much more too it than that (and yeah I tried turning Airport off before sleeping and that didn't work either) I just thought of throwing this out there in case someone is poking around for a solution and by some miracle chance that this info may be helpful to someone out there.

few questions: i'm getting the same errors with shutdown. ah well, was getting it with the vanilla kernel as well. it's nice to have 2 cpus enabled.

same here encountered an error using Voodoo Kernel on shutdown, you have to remove the AppleACPIBattery.kext for the Voodoo to work

its up to u if you want the 2 CPU working with battery meter but no shutdown or remove battery meter instead.

I still havent tried the JMACRO card reader hehehe is there any feedback ?

same here encountered an error using Voodoo Kernel on shutdown, you have to remove the AppleACPIBattery.kext for the Voodoo to work

its up to u if you want the 2 CPU working with battery meter but no shutdown or remove battery meter instead.

I'm running the new voodoo kernel, but i started messing around with the apple ACPIbattery and now i've lost my battery monitor. i installed two different powermanagement packages and then re-installed the AppleACPIBattery kext (from the forum on here, the one that has about 5 updates to it) and i still have no battery meter.

Any ideas? I'd much prefer screwy shutdown and the ACPIBattery, especially since it's a kind of power management that apparently doesn't make the computer run as hot, or so I read in the forum...

Anyone else notice how hot this thing runs after a bit? I was using google reader the other night (with the newest voodoo kernel) and i felt like i'd burned my stomach after a bit. I'm gonna have to go back to XP if this keeps up, it's making me paranoid about the AAO itself.

I'm running the new voodoo kernel, but i started messing around with the apple ACPIbattery and now i've lost my battery monitor. i installed two different powermanagement packages and then re-installed the AppleACPIBattery kext (from the forum on here, the one that has about 5 updates to it) and i still have no battery meter.

Any ideas? I'd much prefer screwy shutdown and the ACPIBattery, especially since it's a kind of power management that apparently doesn't make the computer run as hot, or so I read in the forum...

Anyone else notice how hot this thing runs after a bit? I was using google reader the other night (with the newest voodoo kernel) and i felt like i'd burned my stomach after a bit. I'm gonna have to go back to XP if this keeps up, it's making me paranoid about the AAO itself.

As per voodoo kernel's documentation, It is suggested to use the following kext:

"Suggested kexts

• We recommend using ChunNan/Eureka's SMBIOSEFI.kext along with stock

SMBIOS.kext.

• We recommend using stock System.kext from Leopard 10.5.5

• We recommend def's NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to avoid kernel panics

related to Apple's power management kext."

I have'nt experienced kernel panics as of this time and my battery meter works as per the instructions on this thread. I'm using AppleDecrypt.kext instead of dmos.kext. Try using these kext...It may solve the problem.

I am using the power management bundle from post #187 (on page 11) for a battery meter and have not experienced any problems shutting down with the Voodoo Kernel.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...9774&st=186

Also, I have not yet noticed my Aspire One getting hot at all as some have reported. :):D

Even when I had it on for about 8 hours yesterday - not hot at all.. :):P maybe I just got lucky :D on that one! ;)