GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

Guest fanculo

Hi, I tried the Consono method and I finally got the 1366x768 resolution on my dell,

this works well with Chameleon 2 RC1, but doesn't work anymore on RC2 and RC3.

Is there any solution?

Ok I can see you guys have been sweating blood over getting this 4500 display fixed ... I have a couple of questions...

1) I have successfully installed Iatkos 10.5.7 on a dell e5400 which has an Intel® GMA 4500MHD display adapter, Is this the same display as the x4500 you guys refer too?

I have tried following the whole thread but being I am considerably less knowledgable that you guys I am struggling with a lot of the posts so I used macgeeks method of copying the installer patch into a terminal window and rebooting .... no good just screwed up my installation ... by 1st loosing the Chameleon boot loader ... just goes straight to a white /grey apple boot screen & stops ... tried a verbose startup ... all the drivers whiz pass the screen goes to another and hangs after tons of line messages regarding failures. so i tried the suggested edit of com.apple boot file. Still no good

2) Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the best steps to take to get a 1280 res on this dell as it stands at the mo ... as I am really unsure which methods to try next ... plus I dont fancy a reinstall ever time the install does belly up.

PS I am not dual booting .. should I dual with ubuntu and use the grub loader?

Cheers

Woohoo!!!!! /Me likes this!! (Also the first time I get native resolution :D )

My current kexts are attached to this post, so you can try them.. They've been edited to work with the X4500MHD (Device ID=0x2A42), so those who have that device ID can run in safe mode using the native resolution (Or if you're just happy with native resolution and won't be fiddling around just don't install the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, only AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext)

Just had an idea, can we try using the injectors used for GMAX3100 before, and also change the device ID's so it loads for our GMAX4500?

It works!!! Thanks for the higher resolution!

hi all

I've installded ubuntu on top of windows xp and hackintosh - only to fix res. problem.

After messing up with ubuntu, I succeed to set up 1280x800 res. on my lenovo t500 and it's working on my computer for couple of months now.

Today I loaded ubuntu for the first time after these couple of months , and pressed updated using update manager (278 updates).

The result was:

1. grub.cfg was reseted and Hackintosh option was deleted - I had to get it back from my backup again - very easy to fix.

2. Ubuntu res. was no more 1280x800 but 960x600.

3. Finally, Hackintosh resolution seems now better, and the animation goes faster.

Hackintosh still recognize intel 4500 card as VESA 31mb, but now it's write intel next to it and everything goes smoother.

Also - It seems that the icons, fonts, and even the res. is smaller - although hackintosh says it's still 1280x800. So - the update is necessary to whom that wants the best result.

Amazing work you guys.

I finally have native resolution! :)

My only problem is that the mouse shows up as a group of smeared green lines. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you so much again

Edit: Also video is not working for me as well as a few others that have posted

Again thanks for the great work, it's great seeing this setup nice and.... crisp!

BUt I have tried the boot command;

-v "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32@60Hz" also and still got nada, in terms of proper resolution, its still at 768, leaving that extra bar at the bottom of the screen that repeats stuff from the top (like repeating wallpaper). Any suggestions if anyone else has seen this?

Also I have tried editing thecom.apple.Boot.plist wit various commands i've ound for 1280x800 and varations of its input method to no avail. I'm seeing a lot of display resolutions but NONE at 1280x800 (or like 1600x1050). Any suggestions?

I don't know. I am not yet running SL. Moreover, I don't have the mouse pointer issue.

I'd suggest backing up your x3100FB.kext and trying it. If it doesn't work, then just put back the backup.

yes, the mod works with snow leopard however there still is no QE or CI

In the attach you'll have these files.

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext (1.5.44.13)

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (1.5.18.7)

The FB was patched to have no mouse artifacts & support native resolution & with id 2E12.

Both files will load and will appear in the Extensions at System Profiler.

I'm hoping that someone figure it out how to enable QE/CI.

Greets!

GMA4500_2E12.zip

I just tried them, but unfortunately, I still have the black screen. Below is the lspci output for my video card if it will help:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

It it matters, I am running Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.8 on a Dell Latitude E4300 (Intel GMA 4500MHD Integratred Video). Again, thanks for all your assistance!

Mark

I've read that some people with your problem have video connecting a CRT monitor thru the VGA port. Do you have the possibility to do this? cause maybe the problem is that the driver take as primary the VGA port and second the LCD. Another thing to check is in the Laptop setup and search if you can fix what is the primary display. Also tell me what Kernel are you using?

Hope this helps.

thanks for your kindness, unfortunately I still get the same problem

My card is x4500mhd 2a42

I am using Acer aspire one 4736, 10.5.8

My display is not totally blank though, the brightness is so powerless that sucks my eyes

thanks

Have you check inside System Profiler - Extensions if both kext are loaded?

Maybe you could try to connect a CRT monitor thru the VGA port and see if you could change some of the LCD from the Display Panel.

What kernel are you using?

I've read that some people with your problem have video connecting a CRT monitor thru the VGA port. Do you have the possibility to do this? cause maybe the problem is that the driver take as primary the VGA port and second the LCD. Another thing to check is in the Laptop setup and search if you can fix what is the primary display. Also tell me what Kernel are you using?

Hope this helps.

As a test, I was able to connect a monitor to my laptop and had video - it was a 15" tube so the best I could get was 1280x1024. I tried switching back to the notebook's LCD panel (Fn F8), but the video was unrecognizable - looks like an interlacing issue. I hit Fn F8 again and the got the same unrecognizable video on the tube.

I looked in the BIOS, and could not see how to change the primary display.

I am running the Voodoo kernel V1.0 Rev A - base install was Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.8 using the default bootloader. Thanks!

Mark

As a test, I was able to connect a monitor to my laptop and had video - it was a 15" tube so the best I could get was 1280x1024. I tried switching back to the notebook's LCD panel (Fn F8), but the video was unrecognizable - looks like an interlacing issue. I hit Fn F8 again and the got the same unrecognizable video on the tube.

I looked in the BIOS, and could not see how to change the primary display.

I am running the Voodoo kernel V1.0 Rev A - base install was Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.8 using the default bootloader. Thanks!

Mark

It seems to be a problem of resolution. To fix the startup resolution and try to see if you have video on LCD do these steps:

1. Open com.apple.Boot.plist (if you're using Chamaleon boot loader RC2 o RC3 you'll have in the Extra folder located in the root or else you'll have in Library - Preferences - SystemConfiguration)

Maybe you'll have to copy this file to desktop to avoid security problems and once modify copy back.

2. Add these lines modifing the resolution you want in your LCD:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

3. Reboot and see if you have video. Then if you're successfull change the resolution as you want.

Hope it helps!

PD: I recommend to try the AnV 9.8.0 kernel.. it works very well!

It seems to be a problem of resolution. To fix the startup resolution and try to see if you have video on LCD do these steps:

1. Open com.apple.Boot.plist (if you're using Chamaleon boot loader RC2 o RC3 you'll have in the Extra folder located in the root or else you'll have in Library - Preferences - SystemConfiguration)

Maybe you'll have to copy this file to desktop to avoid security problems and once modify copy back.

2. Add these lines modifing the resolution you want in your LCD:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

3. Reboot and see if you have video. Then if you're successfull change the resolution as you want.

Hope it helps!

PD: I recommend to try the AnV 9.8.0 kernel.. it works very well!

With the modified 2a42 kexts, I still encountered the same issues (no laptop panel display and messed up graphics with external monitor when switching between displays).

As a test, I added the Graphics Mode key to my com.apple.Boot.plist file using the default kexts. When I rebooted, I now have 1280x800 video. I don't have Quartz Extreme, but its still better than the 1024x768 I had.

Looks like the new kexts still aren't ready for my Dell E4300. All I can do is hope ;)

Thanks!

Mark

With the modified 2a42 kexts, I still encountered the same issues (no laptop panel display and messed up graphics with external monitor when switching between displays).

As a test, I added the Graphics Mode key to my com.apple.Boot.plist file using the default kexts. When I rebooted, I now have 1280x800 video. I don't have Quartz Extreme, but its still better than the 1024x768 I had.

Looks like the new kexts still aren't ready for my Dell E4300. All I can do is hope ;)

Thanks!

Mark

Maybe but i'm using the modified kext (2E12) in a Dell Optiflex 960 and everything is fine. My kernel is AnV 9.8.0, my AppleSMBIOS.kext (1.4) and i've configured a smbios.plist in my extra folder to inject the option of an apple bios.

I recommend you, to try to be equal than me in your config. Also try the modified kext with the modification in com.apple.Boot.plist to support your resolution. Then it'll be video in the LCD.

Try to detect displays if you have another monitor connected to have the differents resolution for both.

Hope it helps.

I've been folowing this forum in big lines now for two days and by the this look it seems the QE/CI is the main problem here. I'm not a great programmer so correct me if I'm wrong.

You guys(girls if any) got the visual on the screen by looking at an linux driver.

Could it be possible to add the QE/CI support not by looking to linux but at an other great working kext from an other graphic card that is already fully suported for mac?

regards.

I would wager that there are probably no graphic card drivers written for OSX outside of Apple and ATI/nVidia. Natit is an injector. That is, it injects information about the graphics card so that it can use an existing OSX driver.

As the X4500 has never been supported by a native OSX driver, there is no way to tell OSX how to use it.

Patrick

Hope this helps.

Have you check inside System Profiler - Extensions if both kext are loaded?

Maybe you could try to connect a CRT monitor thru the VGA port and see if you could change some of the LCD from the Display Panel.

What kernel are you using?

unfortunately, I still get the brightness issue

only x3100 loaded

I tried to connect to crt monitor, but both displays scratched and I had to force rebooting my hack

my kernel is voodoo 9.7, chameleon 2 rc3

adding "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" also changes nothing

can anyone help? :)

The driver worked for me, i get the right resolution on my MSI laptop (1280x800), but when i enable quart GL with the OSx86 Tools, after restart i get a strange colors pattern on the screen, and there's nothing i can do except a hard boot.

here's an example:

photo1hz.th.jpg

Any opinions? or solution?

thanks.

Working on a dell studio 1737 with GMA 4500MHD 0x2a42 trying to get this video card working. I'm on a iDeneb 10.5.7 patched the GMAX3100 kexts. Got native resolution but have vertical lines which makes the display useless. Fixed the mouse tears with software mouse trick but still have the stupid lines. What I found is when I connect an external display, everything is perferct. No lines, no tears, native resolution. So I'm confused, why do I have the stupid lines with the laptop display?