GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

Well if you allright have the native resoulution, don't!

:(

I only made this patch for the new guys (like me) on the OSX86 who don't want to use complicated commands to have a good resolution!

I tryed in an other machine with an GMAX4500 card and it works!

PS: After the run the patch, if you have a dualboot, to view other boot disks hold the F8 key wille you Boot!

Or del the Quite Boot entry!

on com.apple.Boot.plist

No luck yet. It's a long slow grind disassembling. That's why I hoped to do debugging-- because you can use the debugger to help you understand.

With disassembly, you have only guesses. Also, my knowledge of x86 assembly is very rusty. I'm re-teaching myself, and I'm getting frustrated at the slow pace.

I haven't posted in a long time because I'm ashamed of my lack of progress...

coldequation have any luck yet?

EDITED!! Possible mouse pointer fix found for lenovo/thinkpad/compaq users.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1158001

I assume that you'd have to do the following (I can't test because I don't have the mouse pointer corruption):

1. Download lavender.t's patched AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (in his file x3100.soft_cursor.zip)

2. Backup your existing AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext using the terminal or Finder)

3. Unzip x3100.soft_cursor.zip. You will find a file called AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor

4. Copy or move that file to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

5. rerun the patch4500 script <-- EDITED to add this step

6. Repair permissions.

7. Reboot with -f -v and you should now have a working mouse pointer

What lavender.t did is to hack the framebuffer kext so that you get a software-driven mouse pointer, rather than driven by hardware.

Please post back here if this fixes the mouse pointer problem. I will also cross post this in Tienneke's 4500 thread in the Genius Bar.

-u

Does the x3100FB.kext mod work on Snow Leopard? The other method (With the chameleon resolution) does not work on my HackBook but the x3100 FB mod works fine other than the cursor disappear which I really don't care about that much.

I don't know. I am not yet running SL. Moreover, I don't have the mouse pointer issue.

I'd suggest backing up your x3100FB.kext and trying it. If it doesn't work, then just put back the backup.

Does the x3100FB.kext mod work on Snow Leopard? The other method (With the chameleon resolution) does not work on my HackBook but the x3100 FB mod works fine other than the cursor disappear which I really don't care about that much.

Try my patch file!

That patch, replace the Boot file in the Startup volume.

And it add the entry 1280x800 on the com.apple.Boot.plist

Give it a try, It works for me! :unsure:

If you have any questions, tell me, I'm here for it!

Hey macgeek92 Grrreat Work!

I have DG41MJ MB/w/x4500 vid. I was wondering if you could help me get 1366x768@32

thank-you 4 ur hard work!icon6.gif

Hey macgeek92 Grrreat Work!

I have DG41MJ MB/w/x4500 vid. I was wondering if you could help me get 1660x768@32

thank-you 4 ur hard work!icon6.gif

I'm glad it works for you!

well my laptop only supports 1280x800 res.

Well I will try an new patch!

Any questions! just tell

if you want run iWork 08 without QE/CI I have a patch file too!

The problem may be in the chameleon, if you want the resolution you may have to install an old version of chameleon.!

Thats why you can't boot after the patch! ;)

Actually, chameleon2 RC2 has the patch already. Just adding the graphics mode in com.apple.boot.plist is enough to get it up and running :mellow:

I donno what the hell happened... I was running smoothly on native resolution with my Old bios(F.24),Tienneke's Framebuffer Kext and Chameleon 2 RC1. Then I upgraded ma bios to F.30. It gave me the mouse corruption problem... ;) I have tried updating to chameleon 2 RC2, tried to edit com.apple.Boot.plist... It all gave me 1024x768. :)

Soft cursor is also not helpin me.. :P

I donno what the hell happened... I was running smoothly on native resolution with my Old bios(F.24),Tienneke's Framebuffer Kext and Chameleon 2 RC1. Then I upgraded ma bios to F.30. It gave me the mouse corruption problem... ;) I have tried updating to chameleon 2 RC2, tried to edit com.apple.Boot.plist... It all gave me 1024x768. :)

Soft cursor is also not helpin me.. :P

Is it possible to downgrade your BIOS? That might solve all issues. I know most of the times this is impossible, but you might try it?

Actually, chameleon2 RC2 has the patch already. Just adding the graphics mode in com.apple.boot.plist is enough to get it up and running :)

Ups sorry, my bad!

I'm running earlier versions of chameleon, and after the patch, my res is great!

Now whats is missing is QE/CI Support!

Without QE/CI I can't play games. (but we steal improving)!

Is it possible to downgrade your BIOS? That might solve all issues. I know most of the times this is impossible, but you might try it?

Sorry Tienneke... I am an optimist.. I don't like backout a step behind..Bios degrading is possible for me,I don't wanna try it, And I don't wanna Native resolution with downgrading ma bios.. :D:P

With all you people and all your support I have confidence that I can fix this issue.. .. :):D

By the way I think the software mouse driver has written for 3100.. What values in AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor I have to change in hexeditor as well as Info.plist of AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (The actual GMAX3100 v.1.5.18) to convert it for 4500?

You need to rerun patch4500. Once I get confirmation that it works, I'll redo the script.

BTW, I edited my original post to include rerunning patch4500.

I hav installed AppleIntelGMAX3100FB soft-cursor patched version. I have patched the file as u said... but it aint workin.. I am getting a blue screen at startup.. just like the the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext loaded. And Im sure i have only loaded GMAX3100FB.kext

Plz tell me a good and small dissassembler for OSX like OllyDbg in windows..

Jasim-- my instructions were faulty. It turns out that lavender.t distributed only the binary file in his zip file.

So you need to:

1. open terminal

2. sudo -s

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions

4. cp -R AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.orig

5. mv <path-to>/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB

6. <path-to>/patch4500 -rf 2A42

7. reboot with -f

We have two reports in Tienneke's genius bar thread (topic is GMA 4500 under Genius Bar) that this does fix the cursor problem by giving you a software, not hardware cursor. We have one report that it does not work. We are trying to find out why it works for some and not all. Stay tuned, and stay patient :(

-u

I hav installed AppleIntelGMAX3100FB soft-cursor patched version. I have patched the file as u said... but it aint workin.. I am getting a blue screen at startup.. just like the the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext loaded. And Im sure i have only loaded GMAX3100FB.kext

Plz tell me a good and small dissassembler for OSX like OllyDbg in windows..

Jasim-- my instructions were faulty. It turns out that lavender.t distributed only the binary file in his zip file.

So you need to:

1. open terminal

2. sudo -s

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions

4. cp -R AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.orig

5. mv <path-to>/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB

6. <path-to>/patch4500 -rf 2A42

7. reboot with -f

We have two reports in Tienneke's genius bar thread (topic is GMA 4500 under Genius Bar) that this does fix the cursor problem by giving you a software, not hardware cursor. We have one report that it does not work. We are trying to find out why it works for some and not all. Stay tuned, and stay patient ;)

-u

I have already done that.. Results the bluescreen... :(

Sorry Tienneke... I am an optimist.. I don't like backout a step behind..Bios degrading is possible for me,I don't wanna try it, And I don't wanna Native resolution with downgrading ma bios.. :D:P

With all you people and all your support I have confidence that I can fix this issue.. .. :unsure:;)

By the way I think the software mouse driver has written for 3100.. What values in AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor I have to change in hexeditor as well as Info.plist of AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (The actual GMAX3100 v.1.5.18) to convert it for 4500?

tried reverting to the old F.24 bios on my compaq cq40-152tu like you said. no difference whatsoever. using both original 3100FB and 3100FB.softcursor

I dont see why not considering mac os x is running on top of unix......

Well may be mac osx is running on top of unix..but y don't u consider they have enough patented technologies...???

Read below.. if u would like more...

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/difference-be...-apple-mac-osx/

http://www.scl.utah.edu/computers/mac/help/x11/

and one more thing.. the Aqua and Quartz Extreme is not implemented in any other unix systems... ;):D