GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

Well people... I hav a compaq CQ40-425 lap bought about one week ago.. and its 3 days ago It became a Mac book pro.. I am lucky i have got all the drivers except 4500MHD's (2a42).

Now I have Tripleboot ma system with Win7(7077)+Ubuntu(8.10) along with GRUB1.Got a Native Resolution with Tienneke's Framebuffer Kext.

Wow i hav moved ma entire Web development jobs from windows to Leopard.. :)

I am kinda reaserching all dese days in forums to the forbidden Quartz Extreme...

And ofcourse its a gr8 pleasure that all of you people are working hard on this... Thanks everybody

And I am sure it would be enlighting all of our 4500's within a week... :)

One more thing... I am getting a bluescreen with the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext...:)

You won't regret it. I have an old G4 iMac and it's still going strong. My refurbished MacBook Pro is okay-- but I'm allergic to the aluminum or nickel in the finish, so I'm not using it. That's why I'm in the world of hacks...

fare thee well,

-u

Guy finely i solve my problems

QE working!!!!

I bought a real MacBook!!

Thanks. That was in the days when we thought the problem was the framebuffer.

Right now I'm trying to install 10.5.7 on the 4500 machine, so I can start debugging. But it's not going well... :angel:

-u

Hi coldequation,

Hope this helps you out. I saw in the thread you was looking for the AppleSampleFramebuffer, but never seen anyone post it for you. I'm Surprised I even found the original Dev. disc.

See The attached File.

OMN-- thanks for asking, but no (at least not yet).

I made some progress today-- after a hideous detour through Windows 7, Windows 7 system images (which are virtual PC VHD files), partition problems (OSX won't install in a primary that follows right after an extended partition), Vista not mounting VHD backups, etc, yada yada :D basically many hours lost!

Anyway, I now have 10.5.7 installed on a 4500MHD, with full resolution using patch4500. I don't have any network interfaces up yet, so I can't begin debugging. I'm hoping to have the card in and configured by Monday.

So some progress!

-u

Would there be anything else you would need from the Developers Disc?

Anyway, I now have 10.5.7 installed on a 4500MHD, with full resolution using patch4500. I don't have any network interfaces up yet, so I can't begin debugging. I'm hoping to have the card in and configured by Monday.

So some progress!

-u

please post your machine full specs so we can help to get it fully working (except for gma4500 of course) :)

Guy finely i solve my problems

QE working!!!!

I bought a real MacBook!!

That's my intention also.

Was bitten by the OS X bug when I had a quadcore desktop that fully supported OS X.

Only regret is that I sold that PC, so will be going from a 22" LCD down to the 13.3" of the macbook Pro.

Well, it's not my machine. That's why I had to go to some much trouble getting triple-booting to work. I ended up screwing up his Windows 7 installation, so I have to reinstall that and load files from the VHD backup. (Win 7 repair refused to load the VHD from the same drive claiming that it needs to format the drive, but the next step (which it wouldn't let me get to) allows you to not reformat/repartition the drive. And Vista x64 won't load the VHD file using VHDMount due to some weird error. I hate working on Windows-- shudder.)

Anyway, Leo appears to be mostly working (with the exception of the network-- which I need for debugging). The machine's a Gateway MD7818u, Core 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache), 4GB 667MHz DDR2, 500GB SATA drive, 15.6" 1366 x 768 WXGA, Gateway webcam (works) using iAtkos 7i.

PS/2 Keyboard, Synaptics Trackpad - works, using VoodooPS2

Conexant HighDef Smart Audio 221 - works with VoodooHDA

Marvell Yukon 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet - doesn't work

Intel 5100 Wifi - doesn't work

I have a Gigabyte PCI-e card that will work with Leopard/Airport that I need to install. Hope to get to that Monday or Tuesday (once I finish the Win 7 :hysterical: work).

Thanks for volunteering to help-- you let me vent about Windows, which I badly needed to do!

-u

please post your machine full specs so we can help to get it fully working (except for gma4500 of course) :)

Some setbacks. 10.5.7 was panicing often. I traced it down to VoodooHDA, so now working without sound. But I still have to resolve the Windows 7 situation. Vista boots okay, but 7 is hosed. So although I was hoping to setup the debug kernel today that won't happen. I have to get Win 7 back up, first (first, do no harm...).

Then I need to concentrate on things that bring in $. So I may get to debugging by the end of the week. I am providing updates so you know that I haven't forgotten all of you. :P

-u

Some setbacks. 10.5.7 was panicing often. I traced it down to VoodooHDA, so now working without sound. But I still have to resolve the Windows 7 situation. Vista boots okay, but 7 is hosed. So although I was hoping to setup the debug kernel today that won't happen. I have to get Win 7 back up, first (first, do no harm...).

Then I need to concentrate on things that bring in $. So I may get to debugging by the end of the week. I am providing updates so you know that I haven't forgotten all of you. :D

-u

Great! Nice to get your news :)

Btw, I thought I read somewhere that real time debugging required firewire, but you're gonna use network? (btw, better use cabled network than airport, since airport doesn't always get started at boot I think.. In my experience my airport wasn't started automatically when loading X3100.kext.. Don't know why..)

I can do IP based debugging with gdb. Ddb only works over a serial line (which would mean I'd have to get the modem working, which I don't want to bother with).

Apple recommends that the debugging not be over wireless, but I don't have any choice as the machine has an unsupported Yukon ethernet card. I do have a spare router, so I'm thinking I will set up a dedicated subnet, to isolate myself from any issues that might crop up.

Also, I don't plan to load the kext at startup. There's an option to kextload that will let me load it, and have it wait for a debugger to attach. I'll start with that and see where it leads me.

Great! Nice to get your news :wacko:

Btw, I thought I read somewhere that real time debugging required firewire, but you're gonna use network? (btw, better use cabled network than airport, since airport doesn't always get started at boot I think.. In my experience my airport wasn't started automatically when loading X3100.kext.. Don't know why..)

Well, so much with trying to debug in two easier ways. I first tried to get the kernel to generate a core dump. But no luck there. I then thought I'd try loading up the 2AAppleIntelGMAX3100.kext after booting, but it loads fine. It shows up in ioreg and all (see the attached ioreg), but since I obviously have a working display (as far as Leopard is concerned) it doesn't try to start or associate the kext with the display.

Which I guess was a stupid idea on my part. So I gotta do this the hard way. And I suspect it's going to take a while. It's been many years since I did any assembly-language work, so i suspect I will be stumbling around for a few weeks at least.

-u

ioreg_gfx_whitestar.txt

I found the driver for gma 4500!!!!!!!!!!!

I will upload it now! It will give you all resolutions

Read Me First!!!!!!!! in the download

it's stuck on the blue screen, i can't see the login form, and it end up with broken display

i'm using 10.5.7, any clue?

it's stuck on the blue screen, i can't see the login form, and it end up with broken display

i'm using 10.5.7, any clue?

I'm sure your problem occurs because you have the modified X3100.kext & X3100FB.kext

If so, try to delete the modified X3100.kext and test again!

Otherwise, I think it's better & faster to use the OS X without this patched version of X3100 because of the mouse pointer issue and because it didn't give any improvement.

To do that, just modify com.apple.Boot.plist adding:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@60</string>

Or wherever your resolution is...

See ya! ;)