Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

FYI, after hours of searching and trying all kind of different things I finally got the network working on 10.4.6 release. Thanks for everyones help.

I used the forcedeth_nock_fixed.zip file posted a couple of pages back and followed to instructions found on the first page.

My mobo is ECS KN1 SLI Lite.

Next is sound, XFX 7600GT, dual monitor, USB mouse!, dual boot with XP x64 on 2 different IDE drives...

This is just the beginning of my adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

First: Thanks for this drivers

Seconds: It wont work :gun:

Okay, I have the same network card (at least forcedeth works sometimes (depends from time to time) on linux), but it wont work. The extenstion loads great, but my ethernet device is already detected by something else and that extension blocks the device for forcedeth. In other words: does anyone know how to disable that extension? I found the following in the system.log file:

Oct 27 16:17:57 laptop kernel[0]: Jettisoning kernel linker.
Oct 27 16:17:57 laptop kernel[0]: Resetting IOCatalogue.
Oct 27 16:17:57 laptop kernel[0]: Matching service count = 2
Oct 27 16:17:57 laptop kernel[0]: Matching service count = 3
Oct 27 16:17:57 laptop kernel[0]: ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v5.8
Oct 27 16:17:57 laptop kernel[0]: IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled
Oct 27 16:17:57 laptop kernel[0]: AirPortPCI_MM: Ethernet address 00:0b:6b:4b:94:00
Oct 27 16:17:49 laptop mDNSResponder-108 (Dec 25 2005 11: 57:53)[51]: starting
Oct 27 16:17:49 laptop memberd[58]: memberd starting up
Oct 27 16:17:50 laptop lookupd[60]: lookupd (version 369.5) starting - Fri Oct 27 16:17:50 2006

I put some other stuff with it, to let you know where it happends

I searched for AirPortPCI_MM, but it is not in /System/Libraries/Extensions

can anyone help? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone tried modifying this driver to enable full support for nForce 590 Tritium boards? I'd love to get LAN fully working on my P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi.

Someone reported that it is partially working (recognized adapter and MAC address), so it might only involve a small modification to the code.

Please, please, pretty please! with pink bows and cherries on top, and lots of fiddly icing :)

not working with my Asus A8N-VM. Not really sure why since its in the same family as the A8N-SLI. Anyone got it working with this board? I tried the method listed in the first post but not really sure where to go from there.

* edit * heres the tail. I used the -nock-fixed version posted a few pages back for this after trying original ones... sorry had to take a screen shot cant even get a text file off my machine :construction:

erroruv3.gif

Hi, I am pleased to report a successful installation of the forcedeth driver (this is being typed in Camino). The mobo I have is a Winfast 6100K8MA with nForce4 LAN (device ID 0269) and previously I had messed about with Tulip with no success at all. However although the forcedeth.kext did not work, the alternative nockd.kext worked first time!

Many thanks to Planetbeing for starting this project and all those others, especially Aien and letni who helped in making it so straightforward. As others have commented a Mac without the net is not much use.

Kudos to all :compress:

its actually working for me with the driver for nforce 410 boards posted earlier in this thread. I also had to uninstall some drivers for a ralink wireless usb stick i had been using. Works well though, occasionally i get a crash at reboot but thats not a big issue really.

{censored}, this driver isn't working for me. I'm using a Marvell 88E1111. The driver detects my chip and sets up the interface, but it doesn't attempt to link or check the link state. In network util, link state shows up as unreported. Anyone have a solution?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx for the driver!!

Here is my setup:

OS X 10.4.8 AMD TEST1

Mobo: Msi K8n Neo4-F (nForce4 chipset)

CPU: Athlon 64 Venice 3200+

Gainward 7300GS video

Forcedeth worked basically out of the box. But with extended usage following things happened: when i disconnect from net (i have DSL with PPPoE) and try to connect again, it hangs. Only reboot helps. And sometimes it would disconnect by itself and then problem as described. And since i download a lot from rapidhsare and have a dynamic IP, it is really uncomfortable. :)

@planetbeing - hey dude, thanks for your work and this forcedeth guide man, f**** awesome. seems the post is a bit old but i'm completely new at this and did about 10 re-install easy these past two weeks.

i had a few problems at first like most ppl in here but once up and running, it's amazing how fast my link is. (my modem can connect via usb too with no setup, but very sluggish and hangs alot).

anyway there is a couple of more steps i did that solved the problem everytime and dunno if ppl are still getting the same problems. lemme know if it helps, otherwise thanks for yer guide.

:star_smile:

okay so at least i'm making some progress but i'm still not there.

I've used Alien's 6100 modified stuff and that's the only thing that's worked so far, but all it's done is got it recognized. It's got the right mac address and everything, the only problem is, it pulls nothing from the dhcp. No 169 no nothing. When I try and force the proper settings on it, nothing works and there's no connection. What could be going on. By the way, the device ID is 0269. Could it be a problem with the router?

Having trouble, this the system.log really doesnt show anything, just the command I execute.

And this is the terminal output I get:

kextload: extension forcedeth.kext appears to be valid

kextload: loading extension forcedeth.kext

kextload: forcedeth.kext loaded successfully

kextload: loading personalities named:

kextload: nForce 4 LAN

kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel

kextload: matching started for forcedeth.kext

Finally, there isnt actually an entry for en0 in ifconfig I dont think at all - Currently running the system in a vmware but the output is from an actual boot.

Thanks in advance ;)

Btw, motherboard is nforce4, with a "mcp51 ethernet controller"