Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

I tried to get my brother's Nforce 4 PC up and going with OSx yesterday and ran into an issue not only with forcedeth, but with other drivers (Azalia Audio, etc) as well.

I kept getting something to the effect of:

IONetworkingFamily version 1.0.5 used in driver does not match the loaded version, could not load kext.

When looking at the verbose mode on boot, I got the same error about IOPCIFamily (or whatever the PCI driver is, etc..)

I loaded up his system using Uphuck's v1.3 universal.

Do I have to revert to an older ionetworkingfamily/iopcifamily/etc version? If so, what version ? (10.4.5, 10.4.6, 10.4.7) ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ECS C19-A SLI

Nforce4 Intel SLI XE chipset

Uses Marvell 88E1115 Gigabit LAN

I installed colonel's forcedeth-nockd.kext WITHOUT modifying.

When I first installed, log shows massive amounts of posts.

Ethernet is recognized by the OS but could not get an IP or connect to router.

This is what fixed it for me:

I powered off....

unplugged power from computer...

unplugged ethernet cable...

took a {censored} (approximately two minutes)...

plugged POWER ONLY in...

booted OS X...

plugged in ethernet cable... (still no signs of life)...

followed install steps from post 1, except changed commands for colonel's forcedeth-nockd.kext...

Internet is a GO.

hope this helps.

Hi, this is my first post. And as I see I am not the only one with the nforce4 MCP61 (device ID 03EF) network driver problem. I will tell what I discovered so far and the way I solved this to get the network card work like a charm. First of all the version I used of the OS is 10.4.10. Well, first of all is of course download the file with the driver from Linux, windows becausse It is needed to edit the .plist file and the MacOSX itself consider read only that file (even as root) so It is much easier to use a windows or a linux. Also If you use a Windows you better will need an editor with support for unix files (like freeware notepad++). Next is open the info.plist file inside "forcedeth\build\Release\forcedeth-nockd.kext\Contents" directory and go to the longest line of the file where the cards IDs are (0x003710DE, etc) under the "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" key section, and change one of them to the ID of MCP61 (03EF) for example the last one changing only the second 2 digits of it (0x037310DE) this way it will be 0x03EF10DE. Next is to copy it to anywhere you can then read from MacOSX (usb pendrive, partition, cd, etc) and copy it to the desktop (easiest place) and run the proper commands from the first post but using the forcedeth-nockd.kext of course. It will detect the card and telling it is not supported but it will continue to load and it will work. And the last thing is to go to system preferences and the network configuration and create a new location in case you use static IPs. One thing I did and I am not sure if it's mandatory is change the advanced configuration section of the card where you change manually the network speed and so on (i use the manual system). Try that if doesn't work on automatic mode.

I hope this helps all the people with same card as me with no luck using the forcedeth driver. :P

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember to use ONLY the forcedeth-nockd.kext version becausse is the only one working with this network card, all the others detect it but it doesn't work.

Working here!!! I'm typing from Safari.

-OSX 10.4.9

-mobo: ASROCK K8NF6G-VSTA

-PHY RTL8201CL (MCP61). Id's: 0x10de:0x03ef / SubId's: 0x1849:0x03ef

I've used forcedeth-nockd.kext. Raw forcedeth.kext doesn't work. Also, when i try to load forcedeth-nock.kext, the console throws this message:

Can't add Kernel extension forcedeth-nock.kext (not a bundle) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

With -t I've got the same error message.

Thank you Planetbeing for your efforts.

Regards.

Working here!!! I'm typing from Safari.

-OSX 10.4.9

-mobo: ASROCK K8NF6G-VSTA

-PHY RTL8201CL (MCP61). Id's: 0x10de:0x03ef / SubId's: 0x1849:0x03ef

I've used forcedeth-nockd.kext. Raw forcedeth.kext doesn't work. Also, when i try to load forcedeth-nock.kext, the console throws this message:

Can't add Kernel extension forcedeth-nock.kext (not a bundle) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

With -t I've got the same error message.

Thank you Planetbeing for your efforts.

Regards.

I had that error once, after i had installed and uninstalled the .kext or modified it or something, i just redownloaded it and installed it without error.

I discover some weird behaviour since I got working the mcp61 lan, sometimes it says it is connected but really it doesn't work, but those times if i reboot (or poweroff) the computer and boot from a linux distribution (sysrescd for example) and configure the LAN and use it (just a ping to google) and then reboot directly to the MACOSX ALWAYS works. So people with similar problem about the 03ef LAN take care of this. :)

Success report!

Hi, this is my first post. -_-

Athlon64 3500 2.2Ghz

nForce 430 (ID0269)

mobo: GA-K8N51GMF-9

Tubgirl 10.4.10 AMD SSE3 Test1

worked with forcedeth-nockd.kext posted in the middle of this thread (the one with 6100 in the name). After initial install ethernet card was identified and active but I couldn't connect. Only after unplugging the power cable for 30 secs and powering back, internet connected. :D Yay!

A big thanks to all who made this possible!

Anyone wanna help me with getting my internet to work in Tiger...?

Im totaly new at mac, just installd the jas 10.4.8 amd thingy and everything seems to be working, but not the internet/network.

My Mobo is a Abit K9 with Nvidia gigabyte built-in network card.

Ive been reading for lite 10 hours on this site about how to get it to work but i gess im totally stupid :(.

My computer.

Amd processor x2 64 3600+

Abit k9s

2 gig ram

Geforce 7600

soundblaster superdisaster

I gess the problem with my network is my tiger os, when its booting up it cant "find" PHY when it comes to loading the Forcedeth. I tried writing sudo -s, then, loadkext -v .....forcedeth.kext but it said i didnt have permission-??

Please help me get my tiger connected to the internet :angel:

Im really starting to get :D at my First and maybe only mac.....

i got my nforce4 lan up.. but it can't get an IP from my DSL Modem (my isp is on pure dhcp).. i always get an invalid IP (169.254.x.x).. any workarounds? thanks in advance.. :)

Same thing happens on my nForce lan... same IP address prefix too o.O another thing I saw was my mac address was totally backwards...

edit: actually it looks more like it rearranged the mac address to sort large -> small....

windows mac: 00-1B-24-90-7A-E6

forcedeth mac: e6:90:7a:24:1b:00

this just seems wrong o.O

Hello all!This is my first post and I`m happy to report that with a little modification I got forcedeth to work on my onboard ethernet.I was having a problem that my MAC address was appearing inverted (I think other people had this problem too). So I made a small modification to forcedeth to un-invert the MAC address.So, if you have a nNvidia MCP 61 card (device id 03EF) AND are getting inverted MAC address (type "ifconfig" in the terminal to check, then compare in windows - the command in windows is "ipconfig /all" or something like that).I am uploading only forcedeth.kext, because it`s the only thing I changed.I`m typing this on Safari :-))Motherboard: ASRock 939NF6GAthlon 64 X2 4200+ (oc@2.85)GeForce 8600GT (the next step in tweaking my hackintosh)Good luck you all and above all, thanks to the guys who made this possible PlanetBeing, and Alandor who inspired me to tweak the files...

Same thing happens on my nForce lan... same IP address prefix too o.O another thing I saw was my mac address was totally backwards...edit: actually it looks more like it rearranged the mac address to sort large -> small....windows mac: 00-1B-24-90-7A-E6forcedeth mac: e6:90:7a:24:1b:00 this just seems wrong o.O
Hi.Try my forcedeth.kext below. Hope it helps, it certainly did for me :DD.

forcedeth.kext.zip

Have you guys tried using the forcedeth drivers? They're specifically for nForce LAN. The drivers work great for me and I'm getting speeds that I never even achieved on windows. Especially for upload.

heh, this thread is all about forcedeth :D unfortunately it doesn't cooperate with my nForce MCP67 card :D (0x054C, anyone? eh?)

heh, this thread is all about forcedeth :D unfortunately it doesn't cooperate with my nForce MCP67 card :D (0x054C, anyone? eh?)

ObsidianX: Have you tried my forcedeth.kext? I understand from your previous post that planetbeing's forcedeth loaded successfully on your system, but the MAC address was backwards. It just so happens that in my computer the MAC address was also backwards so I modified planetbeing's driver and recompiled it making the MAC address correct and it finally worked on my computer.

You'll have to add your device ID to the plist.info file inside the 'forcedeth.kext/Contents' folder.

Please, give it a try and let me know the result.

D.

ObsidianX: Have you tried my forcedeth.kext? I understand from your previous post that planetbeing's forcedeth loaded successfully on your system, but the MAC address was backwards. It just so happens that in my computer the MAC address was also backwards so I modified planetbeing's driver and recompiled it making the MAC address correct and it finally worked on my computer.

You'll have to add your device ID to the plist.info file inside the 'forcedeth.kext/Contents' folder.

Please, give it a try and let me know the result.

D.

Well holy {censored}! How did I miss your earlier post?! It works beautifully! Thank you! :D

yeah im gunna open a new thread with all my working hardware+driver combos once i get the sound and (hopefully) video working

but for the sake of this thread:

HP Pavilion dv6605us (dv6500us)

MCP67 hardware

Ethernet - dev 0x054C vend 0x10de (obviously :P)

I tried the new driver and my MAC is still backwards. Any ideas?

This is an Asus M2N-E with

PCI 0x0373

8ender: If you had your MAC backwards with the old driver, it must be correct with my driver because I hardcoded the inversion in the MAC address.

So, if you had the old driver installed, don't forget to 'kextunload' it and ideally delete any files from the old kext (don't forget the extensions folder).

Finally, I forgot to mention that all instructions in the original post apply to my driver.

Good luck.

D.

8ender: If you had your MAC backwards with the old driver, it must be correct with my driver because I hardcoded the inversion in the MAC address.

So, if you had the old driver installed, don't forget to 'kextunload' it and ideally delete any files from the old kext (don't forget the extensions folder).

Finally, I forgot to mention that all instructions in the original post apply to my driver.

Good luck.

D.

Which files do I put my PCI ID into inside the kext? I notice that my ID is in the noCK and noCK debug kexts but not the two others. I edited them to add my PCI ID. I'll try reinstalling the driver tonight.

Try my forcedeth.kext below. Hope it helps, it certainly did for me :DD.

Thanks for this, great timing :(

Its works with my Asrock AliveNF6G-DVI board (mcp61p - lan 03ef).

I have to do cold start (power off / on) to see the network.

Before this I changed my mac in hardver to reverse order :D with a dos util

http://www.asrock.com/support/Download/K7V...K7VM3%20MAC.asp

Now I can use without this trick with original mac :)

Hi, for those who, like me, got an mcp61 eth (0x03EF/0x10DE) and can't get it to work, i've patched the original forcedeth source code to correctly grep mac address from the card. Also, i've changed some code in order to get the eth working without cold/soft boot, re-boot in linux, windows etc. I'm sure this WORK on an ASRock 939NF6G-VSTA motherboard.

In the attachment there is the source code and in the Build/Debug/ you should find the forcedeth-nockd.kext ready for use (well, you should change ownership and permission, but that is common routine :P )

Note: code is a real mess ;) . Clean-up & update to the latest version is needed.

Regards, Domenico.

forcedeth.zip