Intel 845/855/865 Integrated Graphics Poll

242 posts in this topic

and enabling qe required you to change the 25828086 to your device code which is of course 3582 in appleintelintegratedgraphics.kext, and then into appleintel 830 kext switch your code from the 830 region to the 915 load region

sudo chmod

sudo chown

this was a tutorial presented by the mr. famous Unstable Connection.

However for somereason 830 on my computer refused to load. But i just realized it was because they were replaced by a separate version of the rewritten kext before i edited and loaded them

how silly of me...

Hi Unstable Connection,

can you tell me, that QE can work on 10.4.6, or do you think, it is impossible? I am really hot, to get it work... :blink:

Goofy

Hi, I've recently graduated college, got a programming job. I would like to contribute. What would be the best way to get up to speed? IOkit? Maybe I could write some modules. Maybe you are doing it all yourself. Regardless, I'm happy to see activity with this driver.

Hi Guys, I was looking in the Driver Compatibilty List on Wikipedia someone wrote on 10.4.6 about 855gm

"Works out-of-the-box with default VESA driver. No nice features, though VLC with the SDL drivers works brilliantly."

Does someone knows what SDL drivers are??? I have no idea what kind of drivers this are...

GOOFY

Hi Guys, I was looking in the Driver Compatibilty List on Wikipedia someone wrote on 10.4.6 about 855gm

"Works out-of-the-box with default VESA driver. No nice features, though VLC with the SDL drivers works brilliantly."

Does someone knows what SDL drivers are??? I have no idea what kind of drivers this are...

GOOFY

http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

I know this is not exactly a real driver, but there are apps out there for Linux that let you change the video bios modes so we could at least use VESA. I don't know what that poster is talking about w/ 855 working perfectly, as I can only get 800x600x8 on my D400 w/ 10.4.6 and it's unusable :)

Here is a link to one app: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/apoirier/

And another:http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@xfree86.org/msg02247.html

If someone could compile these to load before the kernel (or patch the kernel!) we could enable the proper video modes and at least get decent VESA going. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge :D

I haven't seen any other news on this thread about drivers for this platform (855) so forgive me if it's suddenly working and I missed it ;-)

Ok i just talked to Karthik, his exams finish on 13 th May.

(Mine finished today wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

He hasnt made any progress after the last release (which incidentally didnt work, so dont bother)

BTW i am also doing a RHCE 4.0 Course (Redhat Certified Engineer) So i guess ill also be able to help him more. Anyway, hes not too keen on sharing his code.

As they say for Duke Nukem 3D -> it ll be done, when its done

UC,

I got to thinking; maybe the quickest route here is to integrate that 855 patch into a modified Darwin bootloader that we could use. It's basic C stuff that accesses the video registers to get the memory allocated and other video modes available.

If you have the ability to compile drivers, I assume you can do the bootloader as well, so maybe you can integrate one of them pretty easily. I don't know if the system calls are the same, but one would hope that Darwin provides similar access to the hardware in some fashion ;)

Alternately, (and I don't know enough about the boot process here) possibly just compiling it into a small app that runs after the kernel and before graphics mode starts would work as well. Again, a simple porting effort would probably suffice.

Do you think you might be willing to try it? I'd be willing to test the results ;)

(This again refers to the patches I just posted at the top of page 9).

Thanks!!

See what it does is that it patches the bios to forcefully/in the ram, to make it support higher resolutions.

But our 855's already support 1280*800. But because we dont have the driver support, it doesnt read the video bios/cached video bios. Thus even though it does support it on the hardware level, it doesnt on the driver level.

Right, this would be to get it working "driverless", using the VESA modes. It may not be as high performance as having a driver, but easier to get working :blink:

why cant the driver from 10.4.1 get ported over to work with 10.4.6 , the foundation is there..

im not a programmer or a pro.. so ...........

any ideas?

700m with gm 855 graphics, 10.4.6 works great but no graphics support

Thts i wht he is trying, arenared. But there are no source codes for it. Apple removed it. So now he is reverse engineering it, and trying to get it to work. He hasnt got much time as exams an all were there, but just have patience.

motaman, without drivers, OSX doesnot read the BIOS. IT DOESNT CARE IF UR CARD SUPPORTS IT OR NOT.

For proof boot in Linux, check wht video res ur card supports, using the util. U will clearly see 1280x800.

Now while booting OSX press F8 and type ?video. There is no 1280x800. WHY????

Cause IT DOESNT READ OR CARE WHAT YOUR VIDEO CARD SUPPORTS. THE GENERIC DRIVER SUPPORTS ONLY 1024x768

C'mon guys, read the thread...

1. As of right now, there's no patch for 845/55/65 Intel chipsets.

2. The drivers that shipped with 10.4.1 will ONLY work on 10.4.1. Even then, CI was basically impossible, and QE had to be finaggled.

3. Apple pulled the source code for those drivers. THAT MEANS WE HAVE TO REVERSE ENGINEER THEM TO WORK ON NEWER BUILDS. This is no cakewalk.

4. The people doing this are busy, and have lives. Don't push them.

ok i understand above.

another think i what to know is the technical info.

On Windows, 855 does good smooth dvd playback using Hardware DirectX or PowerDVD's decoder.

but on MacOSX what do it use? CI or QE ?

And from now we know CI will not be on 855.

Could there be any ways to let VLC use the same extension of Hardware DirectX?

If not, Can we make the fake driver to emulate CI using CPU's power like PowerDVD's decoder ?

I've got new idea.

What if we collect fixes of Centrino and Sonoma.

And combine it to packgage for those two common platform.

It would be "Centrino patch" and "Sonoma patch" ??

I think this because many people are using this hardware set

855GME,950GMA + Intel Wireless2200BG.

ok i understand above.

another think i what to know is the technical info.

On Windows, 855 does good smooth dvd playback using Hardware DirectX or PowerDVD's decoder.

but on MacOSX what do it use? CI or QE ?

And from now we know CI will not be on 855.

Could there be any ways to let VLC use the same extension of Hardware DirectX?

If not, Can we make the fake driver to emulate CI using CPU's power like PowerDVD's decoder ?

Sorry to be sounding like a jerk. If you have no idea wtf is going on here (which seems that you do) then, PLEASE, do not make this topic a hell to browse and search for information. I consider myself clueless but what I see here is just meaningless trash that will go nowhere. If you do not have anything to contribute and don't know how to help then just leave it to Karthik Ramgopal which seems to be the only person that does the real work (thanks).

I'll try to explain this really fast. We need driver with basic video acceleration. QE will do because CI is mostly intended for 3D related stuff. Windows can't do any magic without drivers too, try using it without them, even moving windows will result in visible redraws. It's the same case with Linux. Hope this helps. Try googling or searching this forums in the future.

Hi all!

I have an idea, but I'm not sure that it would work.

Thing is that quartz extreme technology is a part of quartz-wm (windows manager used in Mac OS X) features. So theoretically it will work at other X11-system, for examle XFree86. It supports i8xx video cards in i810 module. I think that is possible to:

1) download and install Xcode 2.2.1 (~850 Mb). It includes C-compiler.

2) download XFree86 sources (from xfre86.org or using fink.sf.net).

3) compile X-server with support of i8xx videos.

4) replace native mac's X-server with compiled one.

5) use quartz-wm as windows manager for our XFree86 server.

Correct me if I'm wrong.