HP DV Series Whitelist BIOS hack

LRZRAGE

309 posts in this topic

Hi There,

Is this DV9000 BIOS patch useable on the AMD Turion Models with System Board 30B9?

It is running HP Bios revision F27, and I am trying to install an Intel 5100 Wifi Link and got the 104-Unsupported error.

Thanks in advance!

OK everybody... anybody using the patched F53 Bios for the HP DV9000/6000 (I believe) .. you may have noticed that there is a new one out F.58A. Well I am glad to say that it is successfully patched. With the guidance of kevd_hackins post and the initial doctor j one, I was able to patched the newest one F.58A.. I also added in a nice little mac apple instead of the HP INVENT at the begging of your BIOS. This will allow ANY wireless cards!! I just got my broadcom card today, flashed my bios, saw my nice little apple at boot up and bam i was in OS X with browsin the internet on my new broadcom card. Goodbye 104 Unsupported error message.. lol... anyways.. the linked BIOS contains version F.58A and has a apple logo (if you would like the original HP invent, PM and i can make arrangements).

1. Download the F.58A bios update from HP and go ahead and install.

2. Stop after install and do NOT flash

3. Exit out and go to C:\SwSetup\SP36774. (this sp number will be different for different BIOS)

4. Edit the phlash.ini (either under swinflash(32bit system) or Winphlash64 (64bit system)

4a. Under the [uI].. set hideall=0 and add in Advanced=1.

5. Right click the flash.exe and run as administrator and this will allow you to specify the BIOS (swinflash.exe=32bit and winphlash64.exe=64bit)

6. Choose the patched bios that you downloaded.( .WPH file) (Vista users might have to disable UAC)

7. Flash and let your laptop shutdown

8. After the laptop has shutdown completely, wait a little bit and then hit the power button

9. Boot into OS X and if your card is OS X friendly, you might have to add it in through Network under system prefs.

Enjoy

If you have a DV series laptop and you are having problems with the dreaded 104 unsupported error message. Post here with your bios version, Ven ID, Dev ID, and subsys ID of your original wifi card and I might be able to help you out.

**EDIT** - I have patched the original F.58A bios to bypass the whitelist and left the original HP Invent by request. Enjoy! (Labeled HP 30CCF58A)

**EDIT** - The BIOS F.29 for the DV6000t system(intel) is patched and can be located here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124283

**EDIT** - F.59A is now out. I have done the same patch to it as I did the F.58A. I haven't had a chance to test it out on my system yet. But I don't think it should cause any problems, nothing changed in regards to stopping the whitelist check.

Here it is not white list:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5NU57UI0

Hi, I have a DV5-1015nr which is almost identical to the model mentioned above, so I tried your modded bios and it finally boots w/o the 104 error, but the orange LED light remains on and both os's (Win7 and Leo) are telling me that I can't connect because the wireless card is turned off. It's strange because the drivers, etc all installed without problems. What am I doing wrong? How can I turn this on?

Any ideas? I have an Atheros 928x card.

Hello, I am the owner of a panasonic toughbook cf-y5 notebook. It has pheonixbios v2.7l11 according to the bios setup page. I was wondering if it would be possible to add my pci information for the airport I purchased to the whitelist or completely remove the whitelist altogether? I understand that there is a risk of bricking my laptop which is ok but I'd appreciate some advice on where to begin. Thanks!

Just want to pop in and let people know that should you need to recover your HP Bios and do not have a Floppy..........

WINCRISIS.zip This Tool will work for Flash Drives.

Add your BIOS.WPH

Only tested with HP DV6871us, reverted to F.58(Patched) from F.59(Patched) with 512MB CF card in a Lexar USB 2.0 Multi-Card reader.

I'm working on >4GB, Flash Drives, but it's not working at this time.

WINCRISIS.zip

I posted a howto for the Insyde bios hack in another thread, link here:

Howto for Insyde BIOS Hack

I'll happily answer replies in this thread, but won't do any hacking myself as I'm too busy to do it myself for everyone. I'll teach you to fish but i can't give everyone a fish myself...

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I've been reading a lot about the DV series BIOS flashing, what about the G5000 series?

I have a G5042ea model with an Intel card:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_1364103C (E41411433C106413)

The card thats giving me the 104 error is Atheros AR5BXB72 (AR5008x):

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0024&SUBSYS_0087106B (8C1624006B108700).

My BIOS is F.24A. I tried, and i opened it in PBEditor, but with some errors...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000/sp35954.exe

And when i try to open the bios.wph file in ADDCC it gives me the "wrong file size" message. Same happens with the most extracted files in the /TEMP folder (with errors extracted bios.wph files )of PBEditor.

Can anyone help, or point me in right direction :) ?

MfG,

dElA

***EDIT: found the whitelist in F.24A, BIOSCOD1.ROM, 11 Intel and 7 Broadcom cards listed...now just to prepare everything for a eventual recovery :D and to flash...

***EDIT: BIOS bricked, laptop dead... :) Crisdisk and wincris not working...tried flashing the bios from cd...not working...will try usb foppy later...

btw, the bios is the same for Compaq C500...

QUOTE (jon55 @ Oct 7 2009, 01:33 PM) post_snapback.gifHere it is not white list:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5NU57UI0

Hi, I have a DV5-1015nr which is almost identical to the model mentioned above, so I tried your modded bios and it finally boots w/o the 104 error, but the orange LED light remains on and both os's (Win7 and Leo) are telling me that I can't connect because the wireless card is turned off. It's strange because the drivers, etc all installed without problems. What am I doing wrong? How can I turn this on?

I have an HP dv5-1010ef.

I have the same problem with a Broadcom 4321 a/g/n.

Can you help us.

Thanks.

*Sorry for my bad english, I'm french*

If you have a DV series laptop and you are having problems with the dreaded 104 unsupported error message. Post here with your bios version, Ven ID, Dev ID, and subsys ID of your original wifi card and I might be able to help you out.

Season's greetings! If your offer stands I'll be thankful and faster with a Broadcom @ 270 Mb/s :) ...

BIOS F.42 03/09/2009

VEN ID= 14E4 DEV ID= 4311 SUBSYS ID= 1363103C

If by any chance you need the info for the new Broadcom, I can get it by "hot swapping" the wifi card, (I did it twice and it works great but once I restart I get the freaking message again).

Guys,

I've spent 6 hours on this, now 5.11am...

I can't get it to work and my laptop won't boot anymore. I need to run that BIOS recovery thing to get back to square one.

I'd really appriciate some help as I have no idea where I've gone wrong...

I've updated the BIOS, but still got the same error message.

Cheers,

Phil.

Philwebman,

Check the previous posts, there is the recovery procedure.

Can you give more details about your laptop ?

And Merry Christmas to everybody...

DcaMan

Hi...

It's a 6525em. (AMD). It had a broadcom card in it, and I want to use an Intel 5300. Broadcom

VEN 14E4 DEV 4311 SUBSYS 1375103C

Intel

VEN 8086 DEV 4235 SUBSYS 10018086

I tried using several hacked BIOSs from this site, but the majority of them still gave me the same error. I kept trying F28, F29, F30, F31 and F32, but still no joy. It must have been something I was doing wrong...

Anyway... Now laptop won't boot at all. Don't get HP splash screen. I've tried using Phoenix Recovery and also the CRISDISK alternative. They both run through and make all the right bleeps, but still no boot once it's completed?

It's my girlfriend's laptop that she wanted to be upgraded to stream movies, so I need to get it fixed before she takes my DV6799 (SE) with 5100!!

If I can't fix it, I'll have to get a broken unit off ebay and make one working unit.

Please help...

Merry Christmas!!! (kinda?)

• 2 weeks later...
quote name='LRZRAGE' date='Aug 9 2008, 12:15 PM' post='850459'

Season's greetings! If your offer stands I'll be thankful and faster with a Broadcom @ 270 Mb/s :) ...

BIOS F.42 03/09/2009

VEN ID= 14E4 DEV ID= 4311 SUBSYS ID= 1363103C

If by any chance you need the info for the new Broadcom, I can get it by "hot swapping" the wifi card, (I did it twice and it works great but once I restart I get the freaking message again).

Well, I have been able to edit the BIOS and flash it, but for some reason I still get the freaking unsupported device error. Anyone care to shine a light?

dv9410us AMD running xp, baught the mobo off ebay to make a frankenstein out of a dv9005us that died. actual BIOS is F.42 and the original wifi card is Broadcom as well as the new one. The new card info is: ven id 14E4 Dev id 432B subsys id 137F103C. Went in and found the original card ven, dev and subsys and left it alone, moved further down and found the last one with the same vendor id and edited that one, no good, went in again and edited the one prior to the last one, no success. Any idea what could I be missing here??? I own a dv6625us AMD, Vista, and the "N" Broadcom card works great in it. I flashed the original HP BIOS for that one and that's all it took for it to work!

I'm using a DV 9700t with the f.59 bios on it right now. I'm planning on getting a new wireless card soon and thought I'd go ahead and patch my bios. Just so I'm 100% clear and so I dont screw up my laptops bios, I just need to download the patched bios in this post, then follow your directions in the first post?

Hello,

do I need something like this with my HP Pavilion DV7-1196EG ?

I want to replace my Wifi Card with this one:

Broadcom BCM94312MCG

It seems to work with OSX... but if there is a better one (as cheap as this one) it would be better.. if it works with my hp..

I'm using a DV 9700t with the f.59 bios on it right now. I'm planning on getting a new wireless card soon and thought I'd go ahead and patch my bios. Just so I'm 100% clear and so I dont screw up my laptops bios, I just need to download the patched bios in this post, then follow your directions in the first post?

Yes Steven,

That the way.

I used it on 2 differents HP laptop without problems...

Regard DcaMan

and Happy new year of course

Looking for some assistance on a whitelist mod. OK, this is what I have...

DV 2100 CTO (even though it has dv2000 on the front :D ) currently running win 7 64 bit.

Current BIOS: F.39 LINK @ HP

What I have ...

Stock HP

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_135B103C&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_135B103C

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&CC_0280

... & what I'm trying to put in...

Broadcom

Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_1366103C&REV_03

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_1366103C

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&CC_0280

I've tried both substituting the vendor, dev, & subsys in MOD_5100.ROM as well as the F8 white list kill in the BIOS files. Every time I try to upload my new bios file the laptop blue screens "system_service_exception" and does a dump. I've done some searches but they relate to the video driver and my current driver is running fine.

Anyone have any insight or has someone already done the whitelist bios mod for this unit that I can try their file to see if it isn't my hacked file? Is what I'm attempting even possible with the broadcom card?

Side note, when doing the Crisis disk by floppy, how do you know if it's successful? I've tried a few times to test and it does the beeps and reads the disk. I comeback in a few mins and the beeping and the floppy has stopped but the fan is still going. I power cycled and it booted fine back into the current os. I've even tried downgrading the bios (F.26) but it still does the same as above and the bios still shows as the newer version (F.39)

Thanks in advance.