HP DV Series Whitelist BIOS hack

LRZRAGE

309 posts in this topic

OK everybody... anybody using the patched F53 Bios for the HP DV9000/6000 (I believe) .. you may have noticed that there is a new one out F.58A. Well I am glad to say that it is successfully patched. With the guidance of kevd_hackins post and the initial doctor j one, I was able to patched the newest one F.58A.. I also added in a nice little mac apple instead of the HP INVENT at the begging of your BIOS. This will allow ANY wireless cards!! I just got my broadcom card today, flashed my bios, saw my nice little apple at boot up and bam i was in OS X with browsin the internet on my new broadcom card. Goodbye 104 Unsupported error message.. lol... anyways.. the linked BIOS contains version F.58A and has a apple logo (if you would like the original HP invent, PM and i can make arrangements).

1. Download the F.58A bios update from HP and go ahead and install.

2. Stop after install and do NOT flash

3. Exit out and go to C:\SwSetup\SP36774. (this sp number will be different for different BIOS)

4. Edit the phlash.ini (either under swinflash(32bit system) or Winphlash64 (64bit system)

4a. Under the [uI].. set hideall=0 and add in Advanced=1.

5. Right click the flash.exe and run as administrator and this will allow you to specify the BIOS (swinflash.exe=32bit and winphlash64.exe=64bit)

6. Choose the patched bios that you downloaded.( .WPH file) (Vista users might have to disable UAC)

7. Flash and let your laptop shutdown

8. After the laptop has shutdown completely, wait a little bit and then hit the power button

9. Boot into OS X and if your card is OS X friendly, you might have to add it in through Network under system prefs.

Enjoy

If you have a DV series laptop and you are having problems with the dreaded 104 unsupported error message. Post here with your bios version, Ven ID, Dev ID, and subsys ID of your original wifi card and I might be able to help you out.

**EDIT** - I have patched the original F.58A bios to bypass the whitelist and left the original HP Invent by request. Enjoy! (Labeled HP 30CCF58A)

**EDIT** - The BIOS F.29 for the DV6000t system(intel) is patched and can be located here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124283

**EDIT** - F.59A is now out. I have done the same patch to it as I did the F.58A. I haven't had a chance to test it out on my system yet. But I don't think it should cause any problems, nothing changed in regards to stopping the whitelist check.

Would there be any way to go about making a patched BIOS for an HP HDX 16?

I would really love it. :censored2:

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i have an HP DV5t 1030el with the F16a insyde bios. I've bought a Broadcom 4311 wifi minipci card but it gaves me "Error 104"... is there any chance to get it work? How can i hack the bios? i've also followed this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75242

but it doesn't work!

these are the original specs of the broadcom card:

pid: 0x1364

vid: 0x103c

pcipid: 0x0008

it seems to be an HP card but it doesn't work...

please help me!

hi,

i have an HP DV5t 1030el with the F16a insyde bios. I've bought a Broadcom 4311 wifi minipci card but it gaves me "Error 104"... is there any chance to get it work? How can i hack the bios? i've also followed this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75242

but it doesn't work!

these are the original specs of the broadcom card:

pid: 0x1364

vid: 0x103c

pcipid: 0x0008

it seems to be an HP card but it doesn't work...

please help me!

The reason your 4311 is being rejected by your HP computer is because that particular card is not on the whitelist for that particular HP model, even after your rebrand operation. It doesn't matter if it's an HP-branded card - the whitelist only allows certain cards depending on your computer model. Read the topic closely. You could try to figure out what the allowed cards in your whitelist are, and then rebrand accordingly if something close to the 4311 is allowed. Search around for how to do that. Do not arbitrarily rebrand your wifi card though...

Also, I believe it's been stated a few times in this forum that the Insyde BIOS you're referring to cannot currently be hacked to disable the whitelist check for wifi cards. Again, read closely.

**EDIT** - F.59A is now out. I have done the same patch to it as I did the F.58A. I haven't had a chance to test it out on my system yet. But I don't think it should cause any problems, nothing changed in regards to stopping the whitelist check.

Dude, major props... your hacked BIOS and method for F.59A worked perfectly for me on my HP dv9700t - thanks!

The reason your 4311 is being rejected by your HP computer is because that particular card is not on the whitelist for that particular HP model, even after your rebrand operation. It doesn't matter if it's an HP-branded card - the whitelist only allows certain cards depending on your computer model. Read the topic closely. You could try to figure out what the allowed cards in your whitelist are, and then rebrand accordingly if something close to the 4311 is allowed. Search around for how to do that. Do not arbitrarily rebrand your wifi card though...

Also, I believe it's been stated a few times in this forum that the Insyde BIOS you're referring to cannot currently be hacked to disable the whitelist check for wifi cards. Again, read closely.

I know that the 4311 is not allowed, but i thought that a rebrand could be useful for this! I've searched the web deeply but i have not found a list of allowed card for the F16a Insyde Bios. I already know that's impossible to hack that bios, so in fact i've tried the "rebranding" way.

Can you help me in searching the closest compatible wificard model for my laptop?

I know that the 4311 is not allowed, but i thought that a rebrand could be useful for this! I've searched the web deeply but i have not found a list of allowed card for the F16a Insyde Bios. I already know that's impossible to hack that bios, so in fact i've tried the "rebranding" way.

Can you help me in searching the closest compatible wificard model for my laptop?

Your odds are not good. Even if you do find the list of whitelisted adapters for that BIOS it's probable that none of them are OS X compatible. I could be wrong - hopefully someone who knows something about your particular laptop can help... Good luck.

OK everybody... anybody using the patched F53 Bios for the HP DV9000/6000 (I believe) .. you may have noticed that there is a new one out F.58A. Well I am glad to say that it is successfully patched. With the guidance of kevd_hackins post and the initial doctor j one, I was able to patched the newest one F.58A.. I also added in a nice little mac apple instead of the HP INVENT at the begging of your BIOS. This will allow ANY wireless cards!! I just got my broadcom card today, flashed my bios, saw my nice little apple at boot up and bam i was in OS X with browsin the internet on my new broadcom card. Goodbye 104 Unsupported error message.. lol... anyways.. the linked BIOS contains version F.58A and has a apple logo (if you would like the original HP invent, PM and i can make arrangements).

3. Exit out and go to C:\SwSetup\SP36774. (this sp number will be different for different BIOS)

4. Edit the phlash.ini (either under swinflash(32bit system) or Winphlash64 (64bit system)

5. Right click the flash.exe and run as administrator and this will allow you to specify the BIOS (swinflash.exe=32bit and winphlash64.exe=64bit)

6. Choose the patched bios that you downloaded.( .WPH file) (Vista users might have to disable UAC)

8. After the laptop has shutdown completely, wait a little bit and then hit the power button

9. Boot into OS X and if your card is OS X friendly, you might have to add it in through Network under system prefs.

Enjoy

If you have a DV series laptop and you are having problems with the dreaded 104 unsupported error message. Post here with your bios version, Ven ID, Dev ID, and subsys ID of your original wifi card and I might be able to help you out.

**EDIT** - I have patched the original F.58A bios to bypass the whitelist and left the original HP Invent by request. Enjoy! (Labeled HP 30CCF58A)

**EDIT** - The BIOS F.29 for the DV6000t system(intel) is patched and can be located here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124283

I'm using an Intel based DV6000 and I managed to get it working with bios version F.29, however I started having audio issues so I tried upgrading to the patched F.58 and F.59 but the flashing software told me the bios installed was incompatible with either patched bios files. It gave me a -151 error and told me that the original was in AT6 and the one to be installed was AT3. Now I'm using my old wireless card though I hope to get my new broadcom abgn card back working again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Lrzrage,

Can you please help me i want to add Intel N WiFi Link 5300 card on my HP Pavilion dv1660se Laptop currently i have Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Card installed in my notebook.

Product: Hp Pavilion dv1000

Sub Series: dv1660 Special Edition

s/n: CNF6141MS9

p/n: ET732UA#ABA

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=1845126

Bios Type: Phoenix (07/31/06)

Bios Vendor: Hewlett-Packard

Bios Version: F.12

I have uploaded the bios (sp33570.exe version F.12)

This is the most latest or updated version of BIOS specific for my HP Notebook Pc (HP DV1660SE) available on HP website.

Stock Card: Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG

Hardware ID: PCIVEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_135B103C&REV_02

Vendor ID: 8086

Device ID: 4222

Subsys ID: 135B103C

New Card: Intel N WiFi Link 5350

Right now i don't know my new Intel N Wifi Link 5350 card Vendor/Device and Subsys ID because its still in the post as soon as it arrived i will let you know these IDS.

Thanks,

arif :)

sp33570.exe

Greetings, No WiFi

I have an HP DV3510nr that has "INSYDE BIOS" not pheonix with the infamous "104-unsupported" error when i try to change the intel-wifi card for a broadcom card. Does anyone know how to change the "insyde bios"?

Peace,

Here you go, off to the whitelist:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I9NO3W3I

To use flash from windows vista and windows 7 and run as admin InsydeFlash.exe.

If anyone wants to put more laptop model but is Insyde bios, phoenix no change.

• 2 weeks later...
does someone have the file for the patched f.59 a? the files in the link seem to be corrupted... i get an error message in winrar every time "unexpected end of archive.

Thanks!

had the same issue, extracted with 7zip, works fine then

had the same issue, extracted with 7zip, works fine then

I take it back, file extracted but is still currupted, could someone please upload the patched f.59a again please, I really need this.

Cheers

I take it back, file extracted but is still currupted, could someone please upload the patched f.59a again please, I really need this.

Cheers

Solved, just used safari to download, thanks anyway

Enjoy

Wanted to give a shout out to LRZRAGE for the F.59A patch. I flashed the BIOS with the patch and I no longer get the '104 - unsupported wireless network device detected error'.

This allowed me to upgrade my DV6000 from using the standard Intel 4965agn wifi card that came with it, to the newer 5300 wifi card. This card now supports the 40Mhz wide channel spectrum so that I can now connect to my D-Link DIR-655 N-Router at speeds up to 300Mbps!!! :( Using the 4965, I could only connect up to 130Mbps since it only supports 20Mhz channel width.

I must admit that I was reluctant to flash the BIOS, but I really wanted to get faster wifi connect speeds. I followed the instructions, held my breath and waited to see the outcome. Needless to say, the flashing process went thru flawlessly. Great work LRZRAGE!!!! Keep up the fantastic work.

Hi,

can somebody to help me with HP 550 Notebook BIOS?

I have "error 104.."

Its work only with intel and broadcom card

BIOS is here http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...EnvOID=1093#120

I want to use my Gigabyte card with Atheros chip. Originaly the notebook come with Broadcom.

Gygabyte GN-WI01GT PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_E9131458&REV_01\4&29E2C51B&0&00E1

Best regards

Please, someone knows how to remove the white list of a compaq c700 series?

I have tried, but not how to edit the file. FD

The BIOS: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41001-41500/sp41279.exe

Regards

Here it is not whitelisted and slic 2.1:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1EFMRSDH

Hi,

can somebody to help me with HP 550 Notebook BIOS?

I have "error 104.."

Its work only with intel and broadcom card

BIOS is here http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...EnvOID=1093#120

I want to use my Gigabyte card with Atheros chip. Originaly the notebook come with Broadcom.

Gygabyte GN-WI01GT PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_E9131458&REV_01\4&29E2C51B&0&00E1

Best regards

This can not sorry