HP DV Series Whitelist BIOS hack

LRZRAGE

309 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I had been looking for a patch f.59.a bios. Tried yours and it blue screen my computer when it tried to apply. It backed up and then when got to programming it blue screened. Thank god it still boots but scared to try 59a again. Trying 58 next. You think you could test your 59a? Would be great Thanks

OK everybody... anybody using the patched F53 Bios for the HP DV9000/6000 (I believe) .. you may have noticed that there is a new one out F.58A. Well I am glad to say that it is successfully patched. With the guidance of kevd_hackins post and the initial doctor j one, I was able to patched the newest one F.58A.. I also added in a nice little mac apple instead of the HP INVENT at the begging of your BIOS. This will allow ANY wireless cards!! I just got my broadcom card today, flashed my bios, saw my nice little apple at boot up and bam i was in OS X with browsin the internet on my new broadcom card. Goodbye 104 Unsupported error message.. lol... anyways.. the linked BIOS contains version F.58A and has a apple logo (if you would like the original HP invent, PM and i can make arrangements).

1. Download the F.58A bios update from HP and go ahead and install.

2. Stop after install and do NOT flash

3. Exit out and go to C:\SwSetup\SP36774. (this sp number will be different for different BIOS)

4. Edit the phlash.ini (either under swinflash(32bit system) or Winphlash64 (64bit system)

4a. Under the [uI].. set hideall=0 and add in Advanced=1.

5. Right click the flash.exe and run as administrator and this will allow you to specify the BIOS (swinflash.exe=32bit and winphlash64.exe=64bit)

6. Choose the patched bios that you downloaded.( .WPH file) (Vista users might have to disable UAC)

7. Flash and let your laptop shutdown

8. After the laptop has shutdown completely, wait a little bit and then hit the power button

9. Boot into OS X and if your card is OS X friendly, you might have to add it in through Network under system prefs.

Enjoy

If you have a DV series laptop and you are having problems with the dreaded 104 unsupported error message. Post here with your bios version, Ven ID, Dev ID, and subsys ID of your original wifi card and I might be able to help you out.

**EDIT** - I have patched the original F.58A bios to bypass the whitelist and left the original HP Invent by request. Enjoy! (Labeled HP 30CCF58A)

**EDIT** - The BIOS F.29 for the DV6000t system(intel) is patched and can be located here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124283

**EDIT** - F.59A is now out. I have done the same patch to it as I did the F.58A. I haven't had a chance to test it out on my system yet. But I don't think it should cause any problems, nothing changed in regards to stopping the whitelist check.

OK everybody... anybody using the patched F53 Bios for the HP DV9000/6000 (I believe) .. you may have noticed that there is a new one out F.58A. Well I am glad to say that it is successfully patched. With the guidance of kevd_hackins post and the initial doctor j one, I was able to patched the newest one F.58A.. I also added in a nice little mac apple instead of the HP INVENT at the begging of your BIOS. This will allow ANY wireless cards!! I just got my broadcom card today, flashed my bios, saw my nice little apple at boot up and bam i was in OS X with browsin the internet on my new broadcom card. Goodbye 104 Unsupported error message.. lol... anyways.. the linked BIOS contains version F.58A and has a apple logo (if you would like the original HP invent, PM and i can make arrangements).

3. Exit out and go to C:\SwSetup\SP36774. (this sp number will be different for different BIOS)

4. Edit the phlash.ini (either under swinflash(32bit system) or Winphlash64 (64bit system)

5. Right click the flash.exe and run as administrator and this will allow you to specify the BIOS (swinflash.exe=32bit and winphlash64.exe=64bit)

6. Choose the patched bios that you downloaded.( .WPH file) (Vista users might have to disable UAC)

8. After the laptop has shutdown completely, wait a little bit and then hit the power button

9. Boot into OS X and if your card is OS X friendly, you might have to add it in through Network under system prefs.

Enjoy

If you have a DV series laptop and you are having problems with the dreaded 104 unsupported error message. Post here with your bios version, Ven ID, Dev ID, and subsys ID of your original wifi card and I might be able to help you out.

**EDIT** - I have patched the original F.58A bios to bypass the whitelist and left the original HP Invent by request. Enjoy! (Labeled HP 30CCF58A)

**EDIT** - The BIOS F.29 for the DV6000t system(intel) is patched and can be located here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124283

**EDIT** - F.59A is now out. I have done the same patch to it as I did the F.58A. I haven't had a chance to test it out on my system yet. But I don't think it should cause any problems, nothing changed in regards to stopping the whitelist check.

You're GREAT thank you so much my new atheros wireless mini pci e works fine now and my computer now start as well as with its original wireless card under windows vista or leo.

Enjoy

Worked great. Vista froze twice (reason for switching over). Thrid time update the bios and now I have a fully functioning Mac in a HP shell! Thanks to all!

Stratox

Can anyone help, i have tried to patch the bios with no success and i am really struggling with my dv2530ea.

My Bios is the following:-

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3425138

-bios ver.F.2E

-Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 abg

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_10058086&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_10058086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&CC_0280

New Wifi adapter:

8086 4235 5300AGN Intel® WiFi Link 5300 AGN

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4235&SUBSYS_10018086&REV_00

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4235&SUBSYS_10018086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4235&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4235&CC_0280

I have an HP dv6 series laptop, with an Intel 5100 wifi chip. I tried replacing it with a Broadcom 4311 chip, but got the 104 error.

Trying to follow the tutorial isn't possible as there isn't a .phlash file in the folder. Instead there is a file with the extension .fd.

This the latest BIOS F41.A for HP dv6.

How can I proceed to edit the whitelist?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

MaestroX1

I was wondering if it is possible to un-whitelist a dv2000 series laptop, particullary the dv2130ea. I ve tried changing the id-s of the new card, and tried to edit the bios, which bricked the laptop. No version of Phoenix bios editor was able to open it without the "Error in RLS module 3!" error. I am kind of stuck. Any input in this thread or on pm is apriciated.

I installed and have working 10.6.2 (the snow leo hazard release).

I have a Dell 1490 on it's way.

My laptop is an HP DV9500 CTO (dv9000 series).

Before reading this I had already updated the bios to the latest 59A from HP's web site as I had read that it was recommended for installing snow leopard.

My questions are:

Can I flash the bios with the patched bios after already flashing it with 59A?

and

in C:\swsetup I have the following subfolders

SP36292

SP36812

SP36881

SP36971

SP38171

SP38161

SP39222

SP41966

sp42153

sw_ver

My last question is where do I place the "30CCF59(patched).WPH" file, and does it need to be renamed to: "30CCF59.WPH" before completing the update?

Thanks!

I believe I found the correct subfolder under swsetup\sp42153

Before attempting the reflash with the patched bios I just wanted to see if anyone would suggest that I don't do this after already putting HP's 59A on here first.

Thanks again.

I installed and have working 10.6.2 (the snow leo hazard release).

I have a Dell 1490 on it's way.

My laptop is an HP DV9500 CTO (dv9000 series).

Before reading this I had already updated the bios to the latest 59A from HP's web site as I had read that it was recommended for installing snow leopard.

My questions are:

Can I flash the bios with the patched bios after already flashing it with 59A?

and

in C:\swsetup I have the following subfolders

SP36292

SP36812

SP36881

SP36971

SP38171

SP38161

SP39222

SP41966

sp42153

sw_ver

My last question is where do I place the "30CCF59(patched).WPH" file, and does it need to be renamed to: "30CCF59.WPH" before completing the update?

Thanks!

I believe I found the correct subfolder under swsetup\sp42153

Before attempting the reflash with the patched bios I just wanted to see if anyone would suggest that I don't do this after already putting HP's 59A on here first.

Thanks again.

I ran the update anyway, and it seems to have taken. I'll wait until I get the new card and have installed it to confirm if it works or not.

So far the only noticeable difference is it seems my fan is on constantly now whereas before it wouldn't be after fully booted up. Is this something else that was changed by the patched bios?

I guys, I have a HP 2530p with builtin wifi 5100 AGN not working on osx.. I have a airport compatible miniPCI card but when I install it the note does not boot anymore because of the bios lock.. is there a way to get my note to boot with the new wifi card? :D do I have to patch the bios? I did google to find something specific for my laptop but with no success...

please help thanx

I ran the update anyway, and it seems to have taken. I'll wait until I get the new card and have installed it to confirm if it works or not.

So far the only noticeable difference is it seems my fan is on constantly now whereas before it wouldn't be after fully booted up. Is this something else that was changed by the patched bios?

I noticed the samething, my fan is on alot more often!!!! Even when its just turned on, and cold, the fan is on full blast...

• 2 weeks later...
Whats interesting is I have been using f.59 since it came out,

this flash changed the fan profile, its on alot more often and faster

even when its completely cold.

hi guys, I have one question for you, hope you can help.

I have a eeepc901 and a HP 2530p, both running 10.6.2 hazard. I have a bcm dell 1390 wifi card. If I install it in the eeepc901, it works out of the box with osx, and it is recognized as an airport card.

if I insert it in the 2530p, the note can not boot. but, if I insert it after the bios check, let's say at the chameleon boot prompt, then the laptop can boot and I see the card in lspci correctly (bcm device and vendor ID etc etc).

but still it seems leopard does not see it (no icon in the menu bar, no new device in system preferences - network).. do you know why? :rolleyes:

could not be that easy.. right? :angel:

thanks bye

hi guys, rly good work going on here:)

I am the proud owner of a hp pavilion dv9780ed.(currently running official F59a)

I just bought an intel wireless link 5100 card and am getting the dreaded 104 error.

My question is: Can i flash the F59a BIOS that has been modified and is supplied in this thread to remove the whitelist and get my card working.

I'm kind of anxious on flashing a modded BIOS so I would rather be sure. better be safe then sorry right:)

Hello, I am new to this forum and recently bought a Intel mini pci-e wifi card 4965GN MM2 and followed instructions on how to open the latest F37 bios in a windows XP virtual machine but the phoenix editor gave me all kind of errors and I can't get the roms to read. Also I don't have a sparelaptop to read the vendor id etc of the intel card. my original broadcom card works good on my dv9580ED hp laptop but i really would like to get N network working. can you help me out? I searched the forum but am not able to find a solution. Also am new to this stuf so a bit n00bish and afraid to break my laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Well today i got my hands on a USB floppy drive i borrowed from a colleague, just to make sure i could get it back to life if i killed it :P

Anyway the flash went fine the first time around and im now happy running my intel 5100 N card in my dv9780ed.

thank you very much, you guys do awesome work here :D

Just a heads up for those of you who have the DV7 series or an Insyde bios. That's the one with the .fd extension and no phlash file I was successful in hacking my Insyde bios by directly editing an open bios file in memory, then saving it out using insyde's bios tool.

Score:

HP's BS "Pay us now" whitelist in the INSYDE bios on a dv7-1270us: 0

bluesbro's hex editing skills: 1

You'll need the .FD file from the bios flasher - usually its in a tempfile somewhere after you run the flash utility from HP. COPY this .FD file and ONLY work off the copy.

*****Be sure you know and understand insyde's "bricked bios" recovery procedure (BIOS on FAT16 USB stick, named a certain way, need to press key combo at startup while inserting the ac adaptor or something - there's a link around here somewhere)*****

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU BRICKING YOUR BOX. THIS IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND NO WARRANTY IS IMPLIED WITH THESE PROCEDURES.....

If anyone's interested, I'll post a method. The easiest way is to just do this in windows with the ezH2O.exe program from insyde running. then open up winhex or any other hex editor that can directly edit the contents of machine ram. Open the "primary memory" of the insyde process in winhex after you've opened the bios in the insyde program.

For the F2C BIOS (latest as of now), find the hex for your CURRENT card's PCI id and vendor ID. You'll also need the subsystem id (8 hex digits), but I didn't search for them. The bios is little-endian, so you'll have to swap byte order (e.g. if you have an intel 5100AGN like factory, with vendor / device ID's of 8086 and 4237, you'll need to search for hex 86803742

you should come up with no more than about 4 hits on the search. I got 4 hits and the one in the whitelist was the 3rd one in, offset ended in C34 - your mileage may vary. the one you want is clustered with a few other similar looking strings (e.g. 86 80 35 42 and 86 80 32 42). it will ALSO be close to the strings denoting the broadcom's vendor / device ID (look for E4 14 28 43 in hex). it will be slightly AFTER the text representation of the infamous 104 error message. There are OTHER instances of this string early on in the bios which seem to control whether the "antenna power

button" works on that card. i didn't change them and my new card works fine, as does the switch.

Find also the subsystem ID's for your old and new cards and look for those close by to where you find the vendor ID's. you'll want to probably keep the "stock" wifi entry in the whitelist just in case you sell the machine, and overwrite one of the older, crappy broadcom entries with your information. I forget what order it is in (whether it wants subsystem first or vendor/device first), but you'll see it when you look at the hex for your old card.

Save your changes in winhex by hitting the disk - this will directly write to the insyde program's working RAM memory, then go to the insyde ezh2o flash tool and "save as" something differently named from the original bios. use winflash/insydeflash to flash the new image to the bios and BAM - HP's whitelist can stick it, and you'll have a bona-fide airport card in your system. My Atheros 5008 does packet injection, et al quite nicely :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone still willing to edit a bios?

DV2800 F.2E

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-67384-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2100&product=3719651

Current Card Intel 4965

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_11008086&REV_61

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_11008086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&CC_0280

Replacement Card Intel 5300

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4236&SUBSYS_10118086&REV_00

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4236&SUBSYS_10118086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4236&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4236&CC_0280

That is my information. . .

Thanks in advance