HP DV Series Whitelist BIOS hack

LRZRAGE

309 posts in this topic

Hello LRZRAGE.

Please, could you help me? I`m not an expert, but I have a notebook hp pavilon 9740us, and i'm using the F58A bios that i downloaed from thr HP site. I would like to disable shared memory video from my notebbok, because it has 512 od dedicated memory, and form me is not necessary to use ram memory. But the Bios is locked. If i apply this Bios Patched by you, can i change in these settings above like disable shared memory and change some clocks to do a overclock?

Thanks for your help.

Jaime

HELLLLP, I USED mehdymehdy BIOS (F.2B) FOR HP INTEL BASED LAPTOPS (DV2000 SERIES), MINE IS A DV2660BR, AND I GOT AN FU***ED HP BIOS LAPTOP. I'VE ALREADY USED F.2B WHEN WAS RELEASED BY HP. I DONT HAVE USB FLOPPY DRIVE TO RECOVER IT WITH CRISIS DISK. I'VE TRYED USING FLASH DRIVES, USB DVD DRIVE AND INTERNAL DVD DRIVE. NOTHING HAPPENS. ONLY SOMETHIMES IT MAKES ONE BIP AND STOPS, ISTEAD OF STILL BEEPING AS IN OTHER TIMES.

IT MAKES ONE LONG BEEP AND TWO SHORT AFTER I SATART IT ON RECOVERY MODE.

On my lappy, using win key + b makes the same beeps as insert power cord with power button presses up to the chargind led starts blinking. after it pressin' power button, it starts beeping (the first ones is one long two short two short i think and the others are the same one long and two short) and the numlock led is powerd on as quickplay with volume up and down off and power led off. it appears to read cd and flash drives, cause when i start on each modes (win + b or power button), flash drive led are looping in blink once and stop, and after a while blinks once again and stops again. Using the cd it starts reading then stops and nothim more happens.

I'M DESPARETED, PLEASE, HELP ME!!

hi mehdymehdy, when you download the sp39373 file from hp and run it, it extracts to c:\program files\sp39373\, inside there is two folders containing the update files, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. also there is the winflash utility which normally autoruns when you initially execute the downloaded file. What i've been doing, is replacing the .wph file in the \winphlash directory, which is the 32 bit directory (as i am running 32bit vista) and manually run the winphlash utility. i have used this procedure to write stock bios' , and a modded bios on another machine, and i believe this to be the correct procedure. The flash utility appears to perform the flash with no problem, but on reboot the machine just gives me a blank screen and lights on, but nothing else.

The recovery disk also uses the winplash program, but i believe its a 16bit version, and it runs on minidos, which is also on the recovery disk. i will have a try at creating a recovery disk with your file and flashing that way anyway, but probably wont be able to get back to you until tomorrow.

thanks for your efforts, i am keen to get this working also.

maybe this will help to overcome the error which is recieved when trying to open the F.2D bios for the dv2500?

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl...C-MPC%26hl%3Den

i dont fully understand everything as it is a translation but theyve somehow opened the bios in pheonix bios editor :S

Hi, i am new to your forum...i have the HP DV6660EV notebook http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3630234 and i want to install the 4965 mini-pciex wireless card. I already have the F58a bios install and i also downloaded the HP invent hacked bios of yours. I just want to know if the f58a bios that i ve downloaded is compatible with my laptop which mainly sells in Eastern Europe, and secondly where i can find the flash utility.

thanx in advance,

Georgiadis Margaritis

Athens-Greece

• 3 weeks later...

If HP says your system uses the F.58A, then go ahead and use the patched F.58A and then you can use any wifi card you want.

Hi, i am new to your forum...i have the HP DV6660EV notebook http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3630234 and i want to install the 4965 mini-pciex wireless card. I already have the F58a bios install and i also downloaded the HP invent hacked bios of yours. I just want to know if the f58a bios that i ve downloaded is compatible with my laptop which mainly sells in Eastern Europe, and secondly where i can find the flash utility.

thanx in advance,

Georgiadis Margaritis

Athens-Greece

I have an HP DV8320US with F.24 bios

Currently the machine has the stock Intel WM3945ABG which has a number of issues. In attempting to swap it out for a Apple MacBook A1181 13.3" Wireless WIFI Card AR5BXB6 I got the dreaded error message at boot. I'd like to use this apple macbook card instead but I'm in need of a replacement bios. I love the fact that you did the custom boot image, I wouldnt mind having that as well.

Can you please cook one up for me LRZRAGE?

Attached is my stock F.24 bios file.

-abstrakONE

Bios.zip

• 3 weeks later...

LRZRAGE, thank you for all of the effort you have put into your various threads with these HP notebooks.

I have an HP dv9233cl, which is currently using F.29 BIOS (HP 38012). Before this notebook's motherboard died a couple of weeks ago, I was using a hacked F.14 BIOS. I sent the notebook back to HP for repair but not before pulling my Dell 1390 out and putting back the stock HP mini-PCI card.

I see you have a hacked F.29 available, but wanted to know if it will work with my notebook before taking the chance to flash it. My dv9233cl is Intel-based, core-duo. I have not tried simply putting the card in to see if it works, so I will do that after I send this post.

I really appreciate your help in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, found you guys through Google by googling "error in RLS Module 3"

Just wanted to correct something....mukole said he tried a BIOS to test if RLS module 3 error unpackaged the bios incorrectly, therefore building a faulty BIOS...he said no, he was mistaken, it does create a faulty BIOS.

I'm editing the BIOS for other reasons, trying to O/C my video card through the BIOS (software overclock is not posible on nvidia drivers after 169.04), unfortunately, these damn DV2500T bioses have that RLS module 3 error making it unsuccessful. DV6000 and DV9000 users are perfectly fine though.

Anyways, I've been through 3 different crisis recovery's now, so I tried a few different things, but this last time I opened the F.2D bios with Phoenix BIOS Editor Pro 2.2.0.1 and got the RLS Module 3, so all I did was rename 'CDROM' to 'CDROM1' then back to 'CDROM' so I could build the BIOS, said build was successful.. Flashed that BIOS, and hello Black screen.

So yeah, until a new BIOS comes out which unpackages correctly (which I doubt) or a newer version of Phoenix Bios Editor fixes this problem, I guess we're SOL =(

P.S. FWIW, I also tried another situation where I unpackaged the BIOS, got the RLS error, built the BIOS, then when I REOPENED it in Phoenix Bios Editor, NO MORE RLS Module 3 error! You can imagine I was pretty excited, however, when I went to go Build it, I got the following 3 errors:

error : FI240D : 'BIOS.FFV' : unable to read input firmware volume

error : FI2402 : '_BUILD' : unable to read build options file in input firmware volume '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'

error : FI2408 : could not find boot firmware volume

Maybe we can try and fix this together, take care.

I came across this posting as part of searching on google for the frustrating "104 Unsupported ... " message.

I have a HP 510 notebook, http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quicksp...v/12634_div.PDF. I tried to replace the Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG card with a Atheros AR5008 based Gigabyte Mini PCI Card(PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0023&SUBSYS_0087106B) when I hit the above dead end message with HP BIOS. The current BIOS on my notebook is at F.08 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...EnvOID=1093#120

Has any one modified the BIOS for this notebook type to whitelist use of other miniPCI wifi cards? If so I would be grateful if I can pointed to a modifed BIOS that I can use on a HP510 notebook to accept other miniPCI wifi cards.

Prior to coming across to this site, I tried the following but had no success.( http://richud.com/HP-Pavilion-104-Bios-Fix/ )

1. Extracted the latest bios from sp36615 using winrar.

2. Along with the HPQFlash utility there was a ROM.cab file among the extracted files.

3. Extracting the ROM.cab file with winrar yields 2 files -- ROM.bin & ROM.sig

4. Using a hex editor I was able to loccate my current WiFi (Intel 2200BG) card Hex strings in the ROM.bin file.

5. I replaced this with the relevant HEX values corresponding to the Gigabyte miniPCI card.

6. I played around with the CRC to ensure that the modifed & orginal BIn file were of same checksum.

7. However on assembling back the update ROM.bin into a .cab file, and executing with HPQFlash utility, it refuses to execute it quoting that the digital signature of rom image was invalid or the rom image was corrupted.

Any help / pointers on how to progress this? OR has anyone modified the BIOS of this model of HP notebook, let me know if there is a modified BIOS that I can use.

Thanks in advance.

samtk

Hello

please help me someone :hysterical:

i have bought HP Pavilion dv5-1199ev (Bios Version F.11 A)

this model have installed Intel 5100AGN and now i want replace with Gigabyte GN-WI01GT

please explain me how i can edit my bios :D ?

i got the same problem with the same bios and i am wondering the same quesiton. plz any help would be appreciated.

i got the same problem with the same bios and i am wondering the same quesiton. plz any help would be appreciated.

if that is a Phoenix bios, then u have a little hope with Phoenix bios editor. but if that is the new bios, then i dont think anybody has found a way to edit it yet

Successfully replaced the whitelisted Intel 2200bg card with Gigabyte WI03N bgn card in HP dv1000 by modifying the bios using much of the fantastic information on this forum and elsewhere.

Find device id for original wifi card

Intel 2200bg codes are

ven 168C

dev 4220

subsys 12F5103C

To obtain codes for the new card a hot swap was necessary to avoid the 104 error.

1. Turn off computer remove power cord and battery.

2. Remove Intel card.

3. Replace battery and restart computer.

4. After it has started put it in standby or hibernate mode.

5. Insert new wifi card

6. Wake computer and find new hardware.

7. Copy the codes for the newly inserted card

Gigabyte

ven 168C

dev 0023

subsys E9141458

Modify dv1000 bios

1. Download F23A bios (sp32588.exe) from hp website.

2. Download and install Phoenix Bios editor.

3. Download and install a Hex editor.

4. Start sp32588.exe but stop before installing the bios.

5. Locate 3080F23.wph file extracted when sp32588.exe.

6. Open wph file from Phoenix Bios Editor, ignore all errors.

7. Locate BIOSCOD1.ROM and open with hex editor.

8. At offset 2555 replace 86 80 20 24 with 8C 16 23 00

9. At offset 2575 replace 3C 10 F5 12 with 58 14 14 E9

10. Save modified BIOSCOD1.ROM in original location.

11. Enable Phoenix Bios Editor Build Bios... command by changing any text in the any file window. You can then change it back to the original text.

12. File Build Bios...

13. Save rebuilt bios in original location and with the original file name, 3080F23.wph

14. Complete the flash bios command.

15. Reboot and load Gigabyte drivers.

Oh yes. I am not responsible if anything goes wrong. Otherwise, enjoy!

dstriker000

I have a DV2839TX laptop (DV2000 series written on the screen bezel, and DV2700 series written on the bottom of the laptop).

I tried to edit F.2D bios with the IDs of my new card, and bricked my laptop. The usual Crisis Recovery method didnt work, but i figured out hw to recover anyway.. check out http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1035155 for details.

Ive since noticed HP has a new F.2E BIOS for DV2000 series.. but i think it will be even harder to hack up.. ill take a look shortly, and see what i can find.. in F.2D the whitelist was in MOD_5100.ROM but i get the RLS error while decompressing the BIOS..

Lets hope F.2E (although i very much doubt it) works better.

Hello,

first of all sory for disturbing you, but realy i need help.

i have buy a notebook hp pavilion in may 2007 with OS Vista home premium in Germany. In the Jul of 2008 i have put OS XP proffesional and it works normaly. One night my notebook it shutdown by it self. Since i dont have HP center here in my country i have send it to one technician who tells me that under keyboard are two ribbon cables and they are damaged by current. He also fix (in one way) those cables (but he tells me to buy those cables on HP center or by internet ebay ) and notebook works against normaly, and then one night i update my bios from (i dont remember) to F.3D version, and than , tomorrow when i press power button my computer start and shutdown after 4 sec. neither bios doesnt start. Then i send again to technician and he say to me that i have to buy emmediatly those ribbons cables, and i buy in ebay. Now for the moment the nootebook is working good, but the LAN cable network and the wireless lan network is not working. The windows RECOGNIZE the Internet Network Controller, but when i put the latest driver than open a window with this message: a problem ocured during instalation, the device might not work properly, The device cannot start (code 10).

I have contacted one technician in HP support center, he says to me to update bios and he send me a link (but i already have do this before 6 months maybe) and one other link with latest driver for LAN adapter, which it doesnt work.

When i go to the device manager, windows Recognize nForce networking adapter but is with a yellow MARK (like this ! ), see this link: http://driveragent.com/driveragent_results...apiuh6sqbmuk9d6

in the begining i belive that is a hardware problem, but next to the LAN i have MODEM cable (both intergrated) , and when i put my telephone cable on the modem i can call everyone, so for the moment i dont belive that is a hardware problem, JUST IF THE LAN NETWORKING ADAPTER IS CONECTED WITH THOSE TWO RIBBONS CABLES AND WHEN THOSE CABLES ARE DAMAGED , THE ADAPTER DAMAGE TOO.

I try to download your bios F.58A hacked, but i dont know how, i dowload, and i dont know how to open, when i click twice, it open a window that say: please choose a program to open this file.

I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME IN THIS CASE.

name of notebook : hp pavilion dv6316eu

processor: amd

nvidia graphic

system bios: Phoenix version F.3D

OS XP proffesional

p.s. i hope you can understand me (because of my english) thank you.

Best Regards

jimmy

OK everybody... anybody using the patched F53 Bios for the HP DV9000/6000 (I believe) .. you may have noticed that there is a new one out F.58A. Well I am glad to say that it is successfully patched. With the guidance of kevd_hackins post and the initial doctor j one, I was able to patched the newest one F.58A.. I also added in a nice little mac apple instead of the HP INVENT at the begging of your BIOS. This will allow ANY wireless cards!! I just got my broadcom card today, flashed my bios, saw my nice little apple at boot up and bam i was in OS X with browsin the internet on my new broadcom card. Goodbye 104 Unsupported error message.. lol... anyways.. the linked BIOS contains version F.58A and has a apple logo (if you would like the original HP invent, PM and i can make arrangements).

1. Download the F.58A bios update from HP and go ahead and install.

2. Stop after install and do NOT flash

3. Exit out and go to C:\SwSetup\SP36774. (this sp number will be different for different BIOS)

4. Edit the phlash.ini (either under swinflash(32bit system) or Winphlash64 (64bit system)

4a. Under the [uI].. set hideall=0 and add in Advanced=1.

5. Right click the flash.exe and run as administrator and this will allow you to specify the BIOS (swinflash.exe=32bit and winphlash64.exe=64bit)

6. Choose the patched bios that you downloaded.( .WPH file) (Vista users might have to disable UAC)

7. Flash and let your laptop shutdown

8. After the laptop has shutdown completely, wait a little bit and then hit the power button

9. Boot into OS X and if your card is OS X friendly, you might have to add it in through Network under system prefs.

Enjoy

If you have a DV series laptop and you are having problems with the dreaded 104 unsupported error message. Post here with your bios version, Ven ID, Dev ID, and subsys ID of your original wifi card and I might be able to help you out.

**EDIT** - I have patched the original F.58A bios to bypass the whitelist and left the original HP Invent by request. Enjoy! (Labeled HP 30CCF58A)

**EDIT** - The BIOS F.29 for the DV6000t system(intel) is patched and can be located here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124283

Hello there is something i don't understand

You say we must to dld the F.58A bios update from HP so we must to go on HP site to dld it?

So the files uploaded:

30CCF58.rar is the patch with new apple logo on startup and

HP 30CCF58A.rar is the patch with HP logo?

F59A is out ....

You can use this?

or just F58A?