[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

critus,

You should be able to update directly to 10.5.5 if you are doing retail. Also, for your X3100, try http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1784&st=460

I'm able to update to 10.5.5 fine with retail, but when I install Chameleon (using OSX86 tools 1.0.149) so I can boot from the hard drive, upon reboot of installing Chameleon I always get a Kernel Panic. I then delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as I've seen in some other posts. That causes my retail install to stay at the grey screen with the spinning circle. I have another iATKOS install that works fine (minus sound) right now and I may just clone that using CCC to test updating to latest versions.

I'm able to update to 10.5.5 fine with retail, but when I install Chameleon (using OSX86 tools 1.0.149) so I can boot from the hard drive, upon reboot of installing Chameleon I always get a Kernel Panic. I then delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as I've seen in some other posts. That causes my retail install to stay at the grey screen with the spinning circle. I have another iATKOS install that works fine (minus sound) right now and I may just clone that using CCC to test updating to latest versions.

ُTry to boot in safe mode (-X) and then install all the kexts you need, I had the same problem and doing this, solved the problem..

By needed kexts, I mean the kexts in the Wingrunr21's My Boot CD and others like nvinject from macgirl and EHCISleepEnabler from superhai...

Install all and you will be able to boot up normally with chameleon without Disc.

Greetings, I've been reading much from this thread and macgrl's the past few days.  I am attempting to run 10.5.5 or 10.5.4 retail.The machine: Dell xps m1330 2.4ghz running 10.5.2 retail (I managed to install a stable 10.5 from retail DVD and performed the 10.52 update with success and 10.5.5 without.)  I installed macgrl's nvinject kext through 86tools on the 10.50 and could not boot.  although, after further reading, perhaps that kext was for only 10.5.2 and up.  Either way, I don't want to install it again and cause a panic, because I am not sure how to return it to a stable running environment without a fresh dvd install.  I have backed up my kernel and extensions, but I would rather wait and see if this is a suitable video solution.

I have also attempted multiple installs of Chameleon EFI through OSX86tools, followed by fdisk, and still not able to boot from HD.  only successful startups have been from bootloader CD, but there must be a way to allow HDD boot.  I formatted the disk pre-install w/ DiskUtility into multiple partitions.. could this affect the EFI bootloader?  All I manage is a flashing underscore when booting from HDD.  The drive has 4 partitions GUID table.

any help on the HDD booting would be much appreciated.

Greetings, I've been reading much from this thread and macgrl's the past few days. I am attempting to run 10.5.5 or 10.5.4 retail.The machine: Dell xps m1330 2.4ghz running 10.5.2 retail (I managed to install a stable 10.5 from retail DVD and performed the 10.52 update with success and 10.5.5 without.) I installed macgrl's nvinject kext through 86tools on the 10.50 and could not boot. although, after further reading, perhaps that kext was for only 10.5.2 and up. Either way, I don't want to install it again and cause a panic, because I am not sure how to return it to a stable running environment without a fresh dvd install. I have backed up my kernel and extensions, but I would rather wait and see if this is a suitable video solution.

I have also attempted multiple installs of Chameleon EFI through OSX86tools, followed by fdisk, and still not able to boot from HD. only successful startups have been from bootloader CD, but there must be a way to allow HDD boot. I formatted the disk pre-install w/ DiskUtility into multiple partitions.. could this affect the EFI bootloader? All I manage is a flashing underscore when booting from HDD. The drive has 4 partitions GUID table.

any help on the HDD booting would be much appreciated.

Boot one more time from CD and install Chameleon_V_1.0.11.pkg on the right drive.

You'll be able to boot from HDD.

Chameleon_V_1.0.11.pkg.zip

Another option is to go to http://chameleon .osx86.hu and download the chameleon installer. Run that and reboot.

As for kernel panics upon the installation of NVInject, when you reach the chameleon boot prompt, enter Single User Mode via the -s flag. From there you can mount your hard disk and navigate to the kext directory. From there delete the NVInject kext. Reboot and at the chameleon prompt enter the -f flag. This will clear the kext cache and allow you to boot again.

OSx still will not load even with the Chameleon installer targeted at my osx drive.  although, i have advanced beyond the blinking underscore.  four lines, I forget all, but the last: " Boot : Done " or something as such and then it just hangs forever. I'm stumped. Can I have a separate partition that just contains a bootloader, which I could target as the startup disk and then it could start the osx partition?also, i have a osx installed on an external usb drive, is there a way to boot the m1330 from that external disk, so that i could perform maintenance on the system disk?

hi wingrunr and thx for the guide

a have a lithe question, i download a leopard retail 10.5.4 build 9E25 but When I try boot from your iso read the DVD of leopard but he load the dvd in an eternal loop of an error in a block that is because your iso to miss this boot alone with leopard 10.5.1 or is that bad burn dvd of leopard

thx for you awnser and sorry for my english XD

I get this error when booting from HDD.  I have run Chameleon several times to no avail.  Still booting from the cd on this guide.

System config file '/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry I haven't replied in awhile. For some reason this particular thread never e-mails me of replies despite it being set to do so.

hi wingrunr and thx for the guide

a have a lithe question, i download a leopard retail 10.5.4 build 9E25 but When I try boot from your iso read the DVD of leopard but he load the dvd in an eternal loop of an error in a block that is because your iso to miss this boot alone with leopard 10.5.1 or is that bad burn dvd of leopard

thx for you awnser and sorry for my english XD

Sounds like a bad burn. I have not, however, tested it with a 10.5.4 Leo build but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

I get this error when booting from HDD. I have run Chameleon several times to no avail. Still booting from the cd on this guide.

Does your com.apple.Boot.plist exist? Are the permissions set correctly?

I am stumped. I already get stuck during the boot from DVD. :)

I have an

XPS M1330

Core 2 Duo T7500 2,2 GHz

3 GB RAM

250 GB ATA Drive (with Vista Ultimate on it)

8400M GS

I tried booting with iDeneb 1.3 and iAtkos 5. With both I get to the apple with this "spinning wheel" progress indicator but not more. I did let sit the computer there for a couple of minutes without any change.

When I use -v with iDeneb the last three lines on the screen are:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

Using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

With iAtkos I get one more line:

Extension com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi; use only one common stile

Switching off all the CPU stuff in the BIOS and also switching to ATA does not seem to make a difference.

I also upgraded to the newest BIOS (A14). No change.

Did I miss something? Do I have to patch the ISO images?

I had the impression that at least booting into the installer should kind of work out of the box.

I am stumped. I already get stuck during the boot from DVD. :(

I have an

XPS M1330

Core 2 Duo T7500 2,2 GHz

3 GB RAM

250 GB ATA Drive (with Vista Ultimate on it)

8400M GS

I tried booting with iDeneb 1.3 and iAtkos 5. With both I get to the apple with this "spinning wheel" progress indicator but not more. I did let sit the computer there for a couple of minutes without any change.

When I use -v with iDeneb the last three lines on the screen are:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

Using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

With iAtkos I get one more line:

Extension com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi; use only one common stile

Switching off all the CPU stuff in the BIOS and also switching to ATA does not seem to make a difference.

I also upgraded to the newest BIOS (A14). No change.

Did I miss something? Do I have to patch the ISO images?

I had the impression that at least booting into the installer should kind of work out of the box.

Almost sounds like a bad burn or some schmutz on the lens of your DVD drive, what speed did you burn the images to disk at?

For IOAPCI errors... for me the fix was setting the BIOS back to defaults (or ejecting the DVD and waiting 20 seconds, when it would resume the boot... and I would insert the DVD).

I have chameleon 1.0.11, I went to the website and I couldn't find 1.0.12. Do you know if .12 was released?

Also, how can I check my PC EFI version?

Thanks

I did burn with 2,4x (the slowest speed my burning software supports) with verify afterwards.

Also I did download the torrent of iDeneb again and burnt it to another media. No change.

So I do not think it is a bad burn or a problem with my drive.

Ejecting the DVD and inserting it again after a while also did not help. The drive just did spin up but there did not seem to be any reading activity.

Interestingly, before ejecting the DVD there seems to be some reading activity for about 30 seconds after

shows on the screen. Then suddenly nothing anymore and eventually the drive stops.

I have chameleon 1.0.11, I went to the website and I couldn't find 1.0.12. Do you know if .12 was released?

Also, how can I check my PC EFI version?

That version that comes up is your EFI version (1.0.11). As for where .12 is, you need to read the 10.5.6 part of the guide again. I specifically state that you need to go to netkas's blog to get the updated version. I then tell you exactly how to install it.

I had this error when I was first starting out and I couldn't ever get it to work. My solution was to download a different distribution. I'm sorry if that's not much help but I don't know of a fix.

it isn't displayed in Finder and when I click the reject button, it says me I'd have no drives.

this all happened after Sonotone's Package...

I still need more information. What did you install in Sonotone's package? Check the /DellLaptops/Backup folder and let me know what kexts are in there. What about sleep doesn't work? Is ffscroll loading?

I installed the CPU=1, and the SleepEnabler Option. After that both cores and sleep worked, but USB, WLAN, trackpad, sound and my optical drive didn't.

Now I reinstalled all what's in the backup folder, so I got usb, wlan and the trackpad working. My sound was working just now, I don't know why, suddenly worked no longer.

In my backup folder are the following files:

- (folder) AppleAirportBrcm411

- ApplePS2Controller.kext

- ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

- com.apple.Boot.plist

- com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist

- dsmos.kext

- EHCISleepEnabler.kext

- IOUSBFamily.kext

- mach_kernel

- Natit.kext

... and some NVInject files.

When I click on the sleep button, it falls asleep and wakes up directly.

How can I check if FFScroll is loading? I think it isn't because I can't click by tapping on the pad and scrolling also doesn't work...

EDIT: I fixed FFScroll by reinstalling...

EDIT2: Audio works now. It's like I'd reinstall the whole system ^^

Great Job on this Guide!!

Is it possible to get a boot CD you provide but one that alos has a Util on it as iATKOS Install DVD in safe mode where you can reinstall Darwin Bootloader by executing "darwin" once booted in at the safe prompt.

It would be such a great CD to have.

I have already used the iTAKOS 5i 4 times already but there is a bug when startuptool looks for the bootefi file its looking for boot-efi instead of either bootefi or bootefi9. ALl I didi is just manullly execute that script with the correct name and it works.

Anyway to make one myself a guide or do you have one available?

Thanks!!

Yeah, that's fine, but my computer doesn't detect the drive. E. g. I press F12 in the BIOS, there's only the harddrive displayed.

I wrote an e-mail to Dell, because I don't think it is concerned with a missing driver in OS X...

Then it is defect drive or loose cable