[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Greetings, having done a successful 10.5 retail install on my m1530, and installed chameleon efi 1.0.11 then pc efi, the computer would not boot from it and i still needed to boot from the cd but i thought ok no big deal really, so i managed to patch the DSDT.aml and combo updated to 10.5.6, the deleted the DSDT.aml, and all is working but i still need to boot from the cd which only has the darwin x86 bootloader, how to you get rid of chameleon and just boot with darwin x86 straight from the HDD?

Thanks in advance

You need chameleon 1.0.12 and you need pc_efi v9

Thank you for your answer but that is not the case.

As I wrote, I followed the steps for the iPC that you left disabling those things.

I am more aware of something else, I checked the MD5 with two different programs and both of them gave me a different MD5 from the same ISO and was supposed to be 5eb1aaff70d1f5810cd62e9d075d812e I was hopping that was an error from the two programs used and applied the two PPF patches. It is more like this was my problem with iPC.

I wrote at 3.3x, it is the slowest option in Nero.

For now I finally get the sound working, I am not sure with the autojackswitch but I can live with that. I used two vanilla kext that mackirgl posted somewhere, I will update with the link to the post later, I do not remember where it was :wacko:

The video did work but at 1024x768 and it did not get freezed at the gray apple screen.

What I did was more like the same as before (iATKOS v4.1i):

1. Disabled Flash Cache Module under Onboard Devices.

2. Set SATA Operation to ATA.

3. SpeedStep and Dynamic Aceleration left enabled.

4. Setup the partition created going to Disk Utilities, right clic on OSX partition, erase.

5. Selected the partition for OSX to install

6. Customised settings to: Kernel 9.4.0 under Additional Patches -> Kernel, all SATA/IDE and Laptop Battery under Drivers -> System.

7. Installed and for the first boot used -x followed the wizard until login screen apears. There was a thing to recognice my keyboard, did nothing but is not important.

8. Used LeoAHCI.zip from the first post installed with OSx86 Tools, installed Chameleon 1.0.11 with the installer and check Repair Permissions, Set Extension Permissions and Clear Extension cache at OSx86 Tools and ran the process.

9. Rebooted, set SATA Operation to AHCI and Flash Cache Module enabled.

10. Booted again with -x and I used the Dell Laptops Post-Installer v1.3 to install the X3100, Dell Wireless 1395, Sigmatel 9228, Media Keys Enabler, SD Card Reader, AppleSMBIOS -> Macbook. Ran again Repair Permissions, Set Extension Permissions and Clear Extension cache with OSx86 Tool.

11. Then restarted and once again I get 1024x768. I restarted to see if the video would crash again and not but I never got the 1280x800

12. I used the kext FixHDAPlatformDriver.kext and FixHDAController.kext and I got the sound working finally.

For now that is what I had... and I am writing "had" because a friend liked the notebook with OSx and I sold it to him :P well, I am still waiting the payment.

I really wanted one with the Nvidia card so I will get one of those.

Thank you talisman, I did not know that it has an autologin.

With the attempt to update it KP before something else appeared while updating, I restarted and KP, restarted with -v and googled the with the info, for me was easier to reinstall since the video was not working, I did the update in safe mode.

I am going to try with the Nvidia card when I have it, thank you for your help. I am sure that I will be asking again :)

I'm talking about this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

Essentially it lets you avoid placing kexts into /System/Library/Extensions which helps with upgradeability and troubleshooting.

I don't do that for two reasons:

1. Chameleon is going to natively support that very soon
  2. I use only one kext that gets overwritten by updates: AppleHDA. There have been some rumors going around that an alternative kext is being developed that will fix all of the various AppleHDA problems while leaving the original untouched. System maintenance is simply easier for me when there is only one kext that Apple overwrites. It creates a less complicated system and allows me to troubleshoot potential issues faster.

If you want to do that method, I see no reason why it would not work. Just follow the directions.

I don't do that for two reasons:
  1. Chameleon is going to natively support that very soon
  2. I use only one kext that gets overwritten by updates: AppleHDA. There have been some rumors going around that an alternative kext is being developed that will fix all of the various AppleHDA problems while leaving the original untouched. System maintenance is simply easier for me when there is only one kext that Apple overwrites. It creates a less complicated system and allows me to troubleshoot potential issues faster.

If you want to do that method, I see no reason why it would not work. Just follow the directions.

I second that... with the way M1330/M1530 are set up there is very little that is overwritten on a update. In my system too it is only the HDA kext, and I built this system out of an iatkos v4i and then updated. The only utility I see in that method is to keep the Original and additional kexts separate. I guess a different folder like the /extra is a much better idea than a separate partiotion, unless you want to do it for aesthetic reasons.

Hi to all.

I have an XPS M1530 and I'd install Leopard on it.

I write to ask some questions and I hope someone can help me.

What is the best solution, make a retail installation or use the iDeneb version??

I read somethings about a lot of problems without resolution.

What are the problems??

I need to make a dual boot, XP // Leopard.

How I can proceed?? Thx for all.

Hi to all.

I have an XPS M1530 and I'd install on it Leopard.

I post to ask some questions and I hope in ur help.

What is the best solution, make a retail installation or use the iDeneb version??

I read somethings about a lot of problems without resolution.

What are the problems??

I need to make a dual boot, XP // Leopard.

How I can proceed?? Thx for all.

What will not work:

1. Ethernet

2. Intel Wireless Card. (Dell Truemobile works)

3. Shutdown and Reboot

4. Internal Mic

5. Mirror mode with two screens

If you can live without these go ahead. Retail installation is always the best option, although I took the iatkos v4i upgraded to 10.5.6 path....

@Talisman Thx for reply

The errors u have writed is important for me.

Without ethernet and wireless I can surf on the web. For example.

And plus, I use my laptop with a Dell lcd display. :)

So do u think that the best way can be the Retail installation??

Or other??

Today I have try to install iDeneb.

Before, I have maked a new partition with Acronis.

The new partition havent system. So, no FAT32 or other.

But when I restart my laptop to start with my installation I recived this error message.

ebios read error.

Can u help me to fix it?? Thx so much and sorry for my english.

EDIT: About ebios read error probabily its because a bad dvd burn!

@Talisman Thx for reply

The errors u have writed is important for me.

Without ethernet and wireless I can surf on the web. For example.

And plus, I use my laptop with a Dell lcd display. :)

So do u think that the best way can be the Retail installation??

Or other??

Today I have try to install iDeneb.

Before, I have maked a new partition with Acronis.

The new partition havent system. So, no FAT32 or other.

But when I restart my laptop to start with my installation I recived this error message.

ebios read error.

Can u help me to fix it?? Thx so much and sorry for my english.

EDIT: About ebios read error probabily its because a bad dvd burn!

It might be a DVD burn error. You have to burn these DVD really slowly... I mean REALLY slowly.

Once you are into the installation DVD you can use the Disk Utility in the Tools (or something) menu to format the partition you want to install mac in as hfs+ extended journaled.

I would suggest you buy a Dell truemobile 1490 or something. They come quite cheap. Then install it in the WWAN slot next to your intel wireless card. You will have internet.

Thx again Talisman.

I have installed iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 on my XPS.

After, when the istallation is finished my laptop dont start.

I dont know If i need to select some drives during the iDeneb installlation or I need to leave all blank.

Can u help me??? Do u know what I need to make?

Another problem is that I cant start XP.

I recived boot error even I delete the partition where I have installed iDeneb

I have read in varius post install this o this driver but the question is:

how can I install driver if I can start my pc??

Tomorrow I'll try a retail installation. Do u think that I can use it whitou problem and update it until 10,5.6??

Thx so much for u great help.

Thx again Talisman.

I have installed iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 on my XPS.

After, when the istallation is finished my laptop dont start.

I dont know If i need to select some drives during the iDeneb installlation or I need to leave all blank.

Can u help me??? Do u know what I need to make?

Another problem is that I cant start XP.

I recived boot error even I delete the partition where I have installed iDeneb

I have read in varius post install this o this driver but the question is:

how can I install driver if I can start my pc??

Tomorrow I'll try a retail installation. Do u think that I can use it whitou problem and update it until 10,5.6??

Thx so much for u great help.

I have never used ideneb so I will not be able to tell you the options.

When you boot the machine does it go to the place where you can choose OS (the chameleon screen). If it does try booting with the -v option where it says "boot:" and post the error messages (anything in yellow or anything marked as error).

I think the retail installation can update without any problems. But you do need the dsdt.aml to update to 10.5.6.

Read the first post of this thread.... it has it all...

Hi Talisman, u are a good friend. Thx so much for ur patience

Well, I have reinstalled Xp because after the iDeneb installation (I dont what happen)

I never can use my note. Everytime boot:0 error message.

I have repair all because I use ghost image disk too. Now all is ok.

Now I'll try to use a retail installation.

What I dont know is, what I need to do during the first time installation?

Mmmm, I know there is a Dell Post Installation package but, to have a good installation

what I need to selection in the options section??

I cant use the Dell Post Installation if I can start OSX :(

I dont know MacOSX system and I dont know how match my hardware with the Kext.

There is a guide o a thread where I can read the options that I need to use??

Can u help me in this phase?? Thx again and when U need that is the time to dont reply to me, :rolleyes: no problem

Hi Talisman, u are a good friend. Thx so much for ur patience

Well, I have reinstalled Xp because after the iDeneb installation (I dont what happen)

I never can use my note. Everytime boot:0 error message.

I have repair all because I use ghost image disk too. Now all is ok.

Now I'll try to use a retail installation.

What I dont know is, what I need to do during the first time installation?

Mmmm, I know there is a Dell Post Installation package but, to have a good installation

what I need to selection in the options section??

I cant use the Dell Post Installation if I can start OSX ^_^

I dont know MacOSX system and I dont know how match my hardware with the Kext.

There is a guide o a thread where I can read the options that I need to use??

Can u help me in this phase?? Thx again and when U need that is the time to dont reply to me, :( no problem

I have not done a retail install too. The entire procedure for a retail install is there on the first post of this thread.

I also have not done a XP OS X dual boot. But the instructions can be found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=279742

I have not even used the recent post installers. But what you will need after finally booting into OSX are these

AppleHDA.kext for sound: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1010970

Nvinject for video: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=930144

VoodooPower for speedstep: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1021550

Superhai's Sleep Enabler: http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

If you want the media keys working then you will need the post installer or edit Butler yourself.

The internal card reader also works with SD cards and that you can find in the first post of this thread.

Keep a usb keyboard and mouse with you. If something goes wrong with PS2 you will need it.... Best of luck

Thx so much.

Tomorrow I'll try to install the retail Leopard.

Only the last question.

I suppose that or the version retail that the version iDeneb has the same options

so, what Chipset and Kernel I need to flag??

And, where I can find the Chipset kext for XPS?

Hi All,

I am newbie on this forum and have installed Vanilla Retail Leopard 10.5.4 (upgraded to 10.5.6 now) on XPS M1330.

I have done as per the instruction provided on this posting, but I am not able to boot from hard disk.

I am able to boot from an USB flash drive though....

I have installed the latest Chameleon and then copied the boot file on the root of the booting disk and done the necessary permission repairs.

But when I boot from hdd, the OSX boots up, but I am not able to use the trackpad or the keyboard.

Also my 6 cell battery works only for 2 hours.

Does anyone have a similar problem / solution for this issue.

I am also eagerly waiting for the Intel wireless driver(I bought a usb network adapter from ebay after reading on this forum and it works fine) and mic to work.

Thanks to everyone on this forum to make all this happen.

Cheers!!!!!!

Copy the PS2 kexts off of my boot cd and install them. That should restore mouse and keyboard (you will obviously need a USB keyboard/mouse for this).

Did you install SpeedStep for your CPU? I get about 4 on my 9 cell so 2 hours may be about right for a 6 cell.

Great :)

It BOOTS now....from hdd.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Is there any way to improve the battery life (sorry but I am lost in all these forum postings and i m newbie )

I m keeping the track on the inbuilt wireless driver, Mic (sound problem) and trying to optimize the performance of OSX on XPS M1330.

Cheers!!!!!

Great :D

It BOOTS now....from hdd.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Is there any way to improve the battery life (sorry but I am lost in all these forum postings and i m newbie )

I m keeping the track on the inbuilt wireless driver, Mic (sound problem) and trying to optimize the performance of OSX on XPS M1330.

Cheers!!!!!

As far as battery life is concerned, have you tried Superhai's VoodooPower.kext? It'll give you around an extra 30-45 minutes, but battery life is still much better under XP/Vista/7 by around 20-30%3