Retail install guide for GA-P35-DS4 with chameleon EFI

tseug

303 posts in this topic

Hi Tseug,

It seems that I spoke to quickly !

the DSDT.aml file makes my PCI ethernet (Realtek 8139) card not recognised anymore. how to solve that ?

Cheers,

TheBigLebow

The DSDT file is there to fix sleep. More precisely, the file makes it possible to load the problematic AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext which apparently is required for sleep to work on 10.5.8.

First of all, try reinstalling Chameleon. Then run the kextcache command mentioned in the guide before restart.

At this point, the AppleIntelCPU.. kext is no longer loaded. Check to see if the card works. If not, delete the DSDT file, restart, and check again.

If it works and you want sleep functionality there is another fix. As long as the AppleIntelCPU... is not loaded you can use the kernel from 10.5.7. That is, overwrite /mach_kernel with the 10.5.7 version (you should of course backup the current one). This has the added benefit of not raising your CPU temperature.

Ok, I have got a SATA DVDRW and the installation ran great, however, when I did the upgrade to OSX 10.5.8, I clicked the 'restart' button at the end of the installation, my computer rebooted twice, and now all I get is this screen.

Any ideas?

post-304148-1250174920_thumb.jpg

Ok, I have got a SATA DVDRW and the installation ran great, however, when I did the upgrade to OSX 10.5.8, I clicked the 'restart' button at the end of the installation, my computer rebooted twice, and now all I get is this screen.

Any ideas?

What kind of graphics card do you have?

Pista7 has created a better sleep fix. This means your CPU temperature will be unaffected.

I've updated the guide and the Essentials pack. If you've already upgraded, you need to reinstall chameleon and then install the new Essentials pack.

It's a Radeon HD3650. It appears to happen whenever I try installing the driver.

OK. I guess that is the problem. There might be a solution somewhere on the site. A quick google gave me this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=151744

I would suggest upgrading to 10.5.8 and then installing the extensions before restarting. This means that you should only add ethernet in EFIStudio.

Good luck ;)

OK. I guess that is the problem. There might be a solution somewhere on the site. A quick google gave me this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=151744

I would suggest upgrading to 10.5.8 and then installing the extensions before restarting. This means that you should only add ethernet in EFIStudio.

Good luck ;)

Thanks, so would I update to 10.5.8 before deleting existing drivers or after?

Thanks

Thanks, so would I update to 10.5.8 before deleting existing drivers or after?

Thanks

I would suggest update to 10.5.8. Don't restart. Delete the driver you've already installed and install the new one. Then restart. Make sure to use "-v" when booting up.

You're pretty much on your own here as I have a different graphics card ;)

I would suggest update to 10.5.8. Don't restart. Delete the driver you've already installed and install the new one. Then restart. Make sure to use "-v" when booting up.

You're pretty much on your own here as I have a different graphics card :shock:

Thank you, sooooooooo much. I have now got this working, with your advice :rolleyes:

@tseug

I destoryed my previous install with the update to 10.5.8, but using you guide I'm up and running again with all features! Thank you so much and really, really great work! You´ve created one of the best guides for the P35-DS4 by far. A shame this thread isn't sticky. :(

Thanks a lot, my hack is still operationnal now.

It's ok, after some changes in my system...

Chaniging the setting in the bios, delete a DSDT.aml in the root ( i'm a newbee).

Not util for me to add the network in the com.apple.Boot.plist

Whithout you, my hack still in hell since 1 week... whith 30 installs uncessfull with iDeneb 10.5.7, iAtkos V7, retail + updates, always fail.

Nice Job, thanks a lot too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I haven't seen reports of updates to 10.6 on the DS4 yet around here - but I did find this post which seems to have success using a custom DSDT patch, etc for our mobo [link]

I'm working on it ;) I've already upgraded to SL and it's working great. I'm building an installer at the moment. DSDT is, as you mention, necessary, which means I have to do some more scripting in order to do it automatically.

I'll probably put it up today or tomorrow. I'll make sure there's a link in this thread, so stay posted :D

Note that upgrading to SL with this installer will require an already running OS X.

Tseug,

Just used your essentials and fix to follow the above to update my system. It updated and I'm using it now, but my HD icons are still orange, which means I missed something, but I'm not sure what. Anyone know?

also temps are running way hotter than before, anyone know how to fix that? Seems like in the past I did some kind of hack, removed some kext's or something. Maybe they got put back? I heard there is a sleep fix of some kind that cools things down too, is that in here already?

Anyway, about those orange icons?

I got rid of orange icons by installing LS8's pack manually. Tseug, please update your guide in the section for updating, and indicate the manual alternative to using your Essentials and Fix pkg's. I don't really know what they do and they weren't right for me. Running LS8v17 sh script manually I got things working right, but actually right now I understand you have this DSDT.aml thing installed now, something I am not sure I want, how it works or what it does. I prefer vanilla. My system is running considerably hotter now, so I'd like to understand why.

I got rid of orange icons by installing LS8's pack manually. Tseug, please update your guide in the section for updating, and indicate the manual alternative to using your Essentials and Fix pkg's. I don't really know what they do and they weren't right for me. Running LS8v17 sh script manually I got things working right, but actually right now I understand you have this DSDT.aml thing installed now, something I am not sure I want, how it works or what it does. I prefer vanilla. My system is running considerably hotter now, so I'd like to understand why.

The essentials pack removes dsmos.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and adds dsmos.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, and SleepEnabler.kext to /Extra/Extensions. It also removes IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions as its functions is duplicated by the Disabler.kext in Chameleon RC2. Chameleon RC2 also adds other kexts to /Extra/extensions, among them the kext fix for making internal drives appear internal.

In addition, the essentials pack generates a Extensions.mkext in /Extra and generates a patched DSDT (more on this later)

The fixes pack adds AppleHDA.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, HDAEnabler.kext and RealtekR1000.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

The DSDT.aml is basically another way of describing hardware devices. It was needed earlier in this configuration because sleep would fail if AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext wasn't loaded, and this kext would crash the system without the patched DSDT. Unfortunately, loading AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext had the side effect of the CPU running hotter. Before 10.5.8, Disabler.kext and IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext made sure that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext would not load. After 10.5.8, this still worked, but the machine would not sleep.

The SleepEnabler.kext enabled sleep again without having to load the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. I still kept the code generating the DSDT.aml, because there didn't seem to be any reason not to, but it isn't really used once the Disabler kext could be put back in place. This meant that the "old" approach of using Disabler.kext or IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext could again be used and that the CPU returned to normal temps.

I cannot update my update my update section because it worked for me, and I don't know what went wrong in yours. It does seem that the Extensions included in the Chameleon RC 2 installer were never added to your system. Alternatively, the update was done in the wrong order as the kextcache command must be run after all kexts have been added to /Extra/Extensions. This is done by the Essentials Pack installer. To run in manually, cd to /Extra/ and type sudo kextcache -a i386 -m Extensions.mkext Extensions

I've upgraded to Snow Leopard (guide here) so I won't be maintaining this method anymore. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them in this thread or PM me.

• 1 month later...

I had to restore from a time machine backup and now anytime I try and install chameleon it kill my installed. Well on rc2 does, rc1 just spins the wheel forever, I even tried to go back to chameleon 1.o with no success, on rc1 and 1.o i can boot to the 132 disk no prob but when i install rc2 i cant ever boot from 132. Any ideas??

Now that I have upgraded to 10.5.8 I have lost my azal sound? I have redone the efi studio and it still doesnt work, I have run the fixes and essientals and everything I know to do any ideas???

Everything works perfect except the boot loader and sound =[