WORKING BCM57XX DRIVER for OS X

EternalEmpty

155 posts in this topic

Do you mind sharing with us what changes have you applied to the original Apple files in order for us to do the same for our cards ? mine for example is a 14E4:1693 ...

mine is:

18:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1693] (rev 02)

detected not working

10:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4312] (rev 02)

detected working

mine is:

18:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1693] (rev 02)

detected not working

1693 again ! ; (

10:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4312] (rev 02)

detected working

Nice ...

I use Dell Dimension 8400 with Broadcom 1677&16E4(disabled at the moment). The thing is i also have Intel PCI Pro card DevID 1299&8086 but it works unstable. Sometimes when i turn Kalyway10.5.2 on and it works but some times it does not so i want to try your BCM57xx.kext with hope that it will work stable. I go to BIOS to turn on my Onboard Broadcom above and the system hang at the startup. Can it run with PCI Intel card at the same time or i have to remove the PCI card before turn Broadcom in BIOS on. Any idea about my system.

It works perfectly with Jas 10.4.8 & Intel PCI card

I use Dell Dimension 8400 with Broadcom 1677&16E4(disabled at the moment). The thing is i also have Intel PCI Pro card DevID 1299&8086 but it works unstable. Sometimes when i turn Kalyway10.5.2 on and it works but some times it does not so i want to try your BCM57xx.kext with hope that it will work stable. I go to BIOS to turn on my Onboard Broadcom above and the system hang at the startup. Can it run with PCI Intel card at the same time or i have to remove the PCI card before turn Broadcom in BIOS on. Any idea about my system.

It works perfectly with Jas 10.4.8 & Intel PCI card

Basically, you can have many network card interface installed on your computer, that is not a problem, unless there is hardware design issue to crash your system, I don't the reason why you can't run your OS X with two or more network cards ..( please don't use same IP, in case you forgot to get a second IP when manually setup)

hi there

thanks for your efforts and for your time

i look to the compatibility list mine is not included i test on my card but no luck

on the boot -v i see my card with a 00.00.00 mac address

but i can't get it on the network option

please do you think that i can get it working this is my config

card type: pci-e, 14e4 1600, this is an Dell D620 laptop

thanks

Sacaman

hi there

thanks for your efforts and for your time

i look to the compatibility list mine is not included i test on my card but no luck

on the boot -v i see my card with a 00.00.00 mac address

but i can't get it on the network option

please do you think that i can get it working this is my config

card type: pci-e, 14e4 1600, this is an Dell D620 laptop

thanks

Sacaman

In this case, it is might be easier by adding 14e4, 1600 as one more line on plist array list, you will find it in the content folder .but be careful, don't use MS word / or other rich text editor .. just use those binary base text editor , like EmEditor/TextMate . e.g.

and you will be able to get the network option ..and then use manually config for your network detail ..

repair the access rights again ... by using disk utilities .

good luck and please let me know if it works or not ...

In this case, it is might be easier by adding 14e4, 1600 as one more line on plist array list, you will find it in the content folder .but be careful, don't use MS word / or other rich text editor .. just use those binary base text editor , like EmEditor/TextMate . e.g.

and you will be able to get the network option ..and then use manually config for your network detail ..

repair the access rights again ... by using disk utilities .

good luck and please let me know if it works or not ...

i add the line with the plisteditpro

i get the card on the network option

i am using PPOE i can't change the mack address network down

i will try when i will be back on the office we have a router there

Sacaman

Winrunr21: I think u shoul look at BigPimpin's driver at www.ohessex.com. He has practically got it working (porting it from the BSD source) that way u don't have to start from scratch and who knows, you might just be able to get rid of the known bugs or heaven be praised finish the porting. We are hoping BigPimpin will continue the development, but nobody has heard from him in a couple of weeks - probably busy with life :-)

Winrunr21: I think u shoul look at BigPimpin's driver at www.ohessex.com. He has practically got it working (porting it from the BSD source) that way u don't have to start from scratch and who knows, you might just be able to get rid of the known bugs or heaven be praised finish the porting. We are hoping BigPimpin will continue the development, but nobody has heard from him in a couple of weeks - probably busy with life :-)

omegax,

Thanks. I had actually already contacted BigPimpin regarding his driver. I have yet to hear a response. The problem with his driver is that he used the FreeBSD sources as the basis for his driver. FreeBSD does not support the BCM590X chipset. The OpenBSD driver does, however. I just need someone to respond otherwise I'm going to have to write the ENTIRE driver from scratch, which will not be fun.

If you mean this post, I certainly did respond to it the very next day. The FreeBSD page that describes the bge driver is at odds with the code itself, which has the BCM5901 and the BCM5903M in the "supported device" table. However, just because they're in that table doesn't mean code is actually present in the driver to control them. The only code path I was able to test and debug after porting it was the BCM5751 path.

It turns out the other chips that the bge driver supports are not as compatible with the 5751 as I had hoped and without the actual hardware it becomes a guessing game. When I debugged the 5751 I was making and testing about 10 changes to the code every day for about 2 weeks straight until I got it right. Going through that process long-distance one change at a time with other people doing the actual testing would take forever. So I appreciate the offers I've had from many people willing to help test it out, but in the end I just don't have the time to continue with it. My driver project has come to an end.

If you have a BCM5751 then my driver will work. If you have anything else then it probably will not.

Eternal, did you write this driver yourself or is it a modified version of an Apple one? If you have the source, would you be interested in sharing it so that I may try and get the Broadcom BCM59xx ethernet cards working?

Hi, buddy

it is a modified version.

Hi, Ive read your post and appreciate your effort, EternalEmpty :P

But still no luck with solving the problems with 14E4:1693, right? Do you think you will be able to solve it?

Either way, keep up the good work contributing to the community :P

Guest BuildSmart

Well this driver definitely has issues, how about posting the source in the first post so that someone else can take a crack at fixing it?

Well this driver definitely has issues, how about posting the source in the first post so that someone else can take a crack at fixing it?

Yes, known issue: mac zero... ( already mentioned in front post)

except from MAC 00:00:00 .. nothing wrong with it for me, will definitely work perfectly for 169D,

I have use it to download BT files for more than 30GBs now .. all big files ..never crash my machine...

Hi, Ive read your post and appreciate your effort, EternalEmpty :)

But still no luck with solving the problems with 14E4:1693, right? Do you think you will be able to solve it?

Either way, keep up the good work contributing to the community :)

ya, it has issue for 1693, that is why I took it off from the test list, sorry mate... sad that it doesn't work for you.

Hi Eternal,

sincerely I find strange your attitude about source sharing.

You never answer to direct requests to share source code.

Why? Where is the problem? Everyone here shares source code, so it is possible to grow as a community.

I hope you will decide to share.

Thanks, t.

Hi Eternal,

sincerely I find strange your attitude about source sharing.

You never answer to direct requests to share source code.

Why? Where is the problem? Everyone here shares source code, so it is possible to grow as a community.

I hope you will decide to share.

Thanks, t.

Yes, there is a problem, I don't even use any source code, how can I provide you a source code ???

Reversing engineering is what I have done, nothing fancy... every programmer can do.

I have already answered : THIS IS A MODIFIED VERSION !!! INCLUDING HARDWARE WISE, I HAVE TO MODIFIED MY HARDWARE TO MAKE THINGS WORK BEFORE I DECIDED WHAT TO MODIFY, I really can't do much about it. I am sorry.

sure I won't be able to give you a lot of explanations why, all I can tell you is that I enjoy to keep up and online and answer to those problem and Q/A that I can help without losing my job. get it ???

whilst I understand you might find it very annoy to see one of your card is not working, but please also understand that no even Jesus can do much to help to stop wars on the planet

( in fact maybe worst).

for people really concern about the MAC 00:00 problem

I would like to suggest 3 solutions to you:

1, create a BASH script, with ifconfig enx (mac address) as a file and run it on your StartupItems BOTH System, Libaray folders

2, if you really keen to move this kext further, you might want to create a thread to get all the data stream from this kext, and wrap it up, create another layer with dynamic MAC address header, and then push back to TCP/IP stucker, but look closely about the data buffer size, nothing fits all, you have to find our own way to get your buffer size for your particular model (network card), also this is one of the reason for most of people to give up doing for second model.

3, or even better, just pick up one of the openBSD/freeBSD driver, provided with your card model has already been supported, reversing engineer the driver and use Xcode to recompile it, of course, you need to know a bit about Xcode kext writing skill. a lot of book on google, just google it if you want.

example patch http://freebsd.monkey.org/freebsd-bugs/200712/msg00241.html

and the DIFF file http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/bcm5906.diff4

Guest BuildSmart

He has source code and for whatever reason isn't sharing it and this prevents anyone else from fixing or correcting issues or advancing support.

What does this mean, this means that it's the end of this project, without any source or someone who is actively developing there is little chance that your hardware will be supported.

My recommendations, find someone who has the hardware and is a competent programmer, beg, borrow or steal the current source code and have them finish the project.

I write drivers for companies from time to time, time is expensive, hardware is expensive, without the hardware you cannot efficiently develop a driver in a reasonable amount of time and any work done for a company under contract cannot be distributed by me so yes, I have driver solutions for all kinds of hardware (a working BCM5914 driver is a good example) but I can't release the software regardless of what anyone thinks or wishes because I don't own the software in question but this wouldn't prevent me from contributing a piece of code here or there to fix someone else's project.

Writing drivers for the OSx86 community is usually done in my spare time cause the OSx86 community does not pay my salary, I write drivers for the hardware I have or hardware that is provided, I wont develop a driver for hardware I don't have (THIS is not meant to offend anyone) because I cannot rely on intelligent people to provide the proper feedback because the people who usually have this hardware know jack about anything.

So, I guess it ends for most of you, at least those who have the bcm5751 have a working driver or as much of a working driver as needed for your experimental Mac OS X exploration as you test-drive the OS while you decide if you are going to buy a real Mac.

Does anybody know of a working driver for the 1693-version? Ive been searching for two days now, but cant seem to find any...

No supported now, please try other version of kext.

He has source code and for whatever reason isn't sharing it and this prevents anyone else from fixing or correcting issues or advancing support.

What does this mean, this means that it's the end of this project, without any source or someone who is actively developing there is little chance that your hardware will be supported.

My recommendations, find someone who has the hardware and is a competent programmer, beg, borrow or steal the current source code and have them finish the project.

I write drivers for companies from time to time, time is expensive, hardware is expensive, without the hardware you cannot efficiently develop a driver in a reasonable amount of time and any work done for a company under contract cannot be distributed by me so yes, I have driver solutions for all kinds of hardware (a working BCM5914 driver is a good example) but I can't release the software regardless of what anyone thinks or wishes because I don't own the software in question but this wouldn't prevent me from contributing a piece of code here or there to fix someone else's project.

Writing drivers for the OSx86 community is usually done in my spare time cause the OSx86 community does not pay my salary, I write drivers for the hardware I have or hardware that is provided, I wont develop a driver for hardware I don't have (THIS is not meant to offend anyone) because I cannot rely on intelligent people to provide the proper feedback because the people who usually have this hardware know jack about anything.

So, I guess it ends for most of you, at least those who have the bcm5751 have a working driver or as much of a working driver as needed for your experimental Mac OS X exploration as you test-drive the OS while you decide if you are going to buy a real Mac.

"My recommendations, find someone who has the hardware and is a competent programmer, beg, borrow or steal the current source code and have them finish the project. ...."

ok, I can tell you that use freeBSD driver to write another code is faster,

by the way ..do you know 1693 and some other models are different in hardware wise? hints!!! if you want to do more on it

thanks working fine with my 14e4, 169d card, also after copyin IONetworkingFamily.kext it broke my wireless internet so i had to copy the old one back now its working fine with 00:00:00:00:00:00 as my MAC. here are the screenshots. btw the i think you havn't developed this driver, you just copied the same file from this thread lol as it has the same MAC being 00 problem!!!

post-12346-1218501257_thumb.png

post-12346-1218501261_thumb.png

EDIT : found this batch file edit it to your MAC-address and place it in /Library/StartupItems ENJOY!!!

SetMAC.zip

thanks working fine with my 14e4, 169d card, also after copyin IONetworkingFamily.kext it broke my wireless internet so i had to copy the old one back now its working fine with 00:00:00:00:00:00 as my MAC. here are the screenshots. btw the i think you havn't developed this driver, you just copied the same file from this thread lol as it has the same MAC being 00 problem!!!

post-12346-1218501257_thumb.png

post-12346-1218501261_thumb.png

EDIT : found this batch file edit it to your MAC-address and place it in /Library/StartupItems ENJOY!!!

SetMAC.zip

which post are you referring to ??? because I have post on this first, then create a new thread here...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...987&st=520#

POST #530

good idea for attaching SetMac.zip though

and, I don't Develope it, I MOD it, all credit will still credit to the original driver writer

i have: 14e4:1693

card gets detected but same prob like all. can give ip and so on, system says i am connected but have no connection and cant ping. mac is zero. doesnt work right now.

If I connect to a usb modem, it's totally working with same config above.

Can you explain ?