WORKING BCM57XX DRIVER for OS X

EternalEmpty

155 posts in this topic

i have: 14e4:1693

card gets detected but same prob like all. can give ip and so on, system says i am connected but have no connection and cant ping. mac is zero. doesnt work right now.

If I connect to a usb modem, it's totally working with same config above.

Can you explain ?

Hey, sorry about the late reply

do you meant

your connect the network card to USB modem, it works (1) AND connect to router, it doesn't work(2) ?

or

your computer works with USB modems with USB modem direct connect to your computer's USB port(3) ?

Does anybody know of a working driver for the 1693-version? Ive been searching for two days now, but cant seem to find any...

ACTUALLY, I can't find this particular model around me, and most of them don't sale them as a single card, the VERY ONLY ONE I have found will cost me around $ 150USD, OMGWTF!!!! or shipping from somewhere else, so that is why I am kinda nothing can help you guys with 1693 here...

ANYONE WANT TO PROVIDE ME A 1693 CARD FOR TESTING ??? :)

That's it. I use acer 4920 and it working.

But when i connect to router, it didn't.

USB port kind of series port BUT not quite the same way now, sure they are also communication ports,

but, compare USB PORT & RJ45 PORT/ BASE-T/F,OPT network ports, they are working in different OSI framework layer,

detail please read : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

apart from this,USB and NETWORK CARD also two different matter. almost nothing related! even if you don't install the network card, your USB modem will still work for you, with internet...

I've an acer 5920g using Jas 10.5.4 with the 1693 network device, i've installed your kext, but it doesn't work; i cannot see it in system profiler.

By viewing at system.log, i can see during boot this:

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 start -mapping device memory failed

Any help? Thank you

I've an acer 5920g using Jas 10.5.4 with the 1693 network device, i've installed your kext, but it doesn't work; i cannot see it in system profiler.

By viewing at system.log, i can see during boot this:

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 start -mapping device memory failed

Any help? Thank you

Hey Mik

I think this driver is not working for 1693 yet .. sorry about that ..

it detected the card fine ..and well ..but it just can't ping the internet , some offset address can't be read from 1693 by this particular driver

i have an acer aspire 4720z with the ethernet Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit, do you think that with this, i will be able to use the ethernet??? in this moment i am in the school, but in the night i wil treat it

I am not sure, do you have the DEVICE ID ?

or check it out at the first page .

Tested it with a 14e4:1693 / NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express

Tried with DHCP and manual setting, both gave the same :

Card is detected

System is connected

I can't ping the router but the router see the eth interface with a "unknow port" (no MAC filtering on the router).

Very close to success I guess :)

Tested it with a 14e4:1693 / NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express

Tried with DHCP and manual setting, both gave the same :

Card is detected

System is connected

I can't ping the router but the router see the eth interface with a "unknow port" (no MAC filtering on the router).

Very close to success I guess ;)

As soon as I have the hardward handy, I will start to do another driver for 1693, but for now... I am sorry that I can advice you any further ...

Nice work, man you making our lifes easier ;)

Oh, btw i've got working my 5789 169D (like yours lol) (with kext in Kaly's DVD) don't know how, but that's very cool :D

Ya .. very cool ...I am glad that you enjoy it !! :)

sure for 169d, you can download a HUGE file inside of your OS with BT without Panic screen or halt .... ^^ so you gets all the benefit the solution ..that is good ...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an HP xw8400 workstation with onboard Broadcom 5752 (devID 1600, according to Device Manager in Windows x64)... no luck so far.

I added the 14e4, 1600 string to Info.plist, and it's detected, but it freezes up when I try to select Ethernet in the Network window.

Anybody else have any luck?

Reverse engineer the FreeBSD drivers?

Why?

They're online... I find this site most useful:

FreeBSD:

http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/dev/bge/if_bge.c#L2623

Linux:

http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?v=linux-2....i=ASIC_REV_5787

As you can see at a glance, the 5755, 5787, and 5784 are very similar - 90% so. So you driver would have a good change of working with all three.

12989 if (GET_ASIC_REV(tp->pci_chip_rev_id) == ASIC_REV_5755 ||

12990 GET_ASIC_REV(tp->pci_chip_rev_id) == ASIC_REV_5787 ||

12991 GET_ASIC_REV(tp->pci_chip_rev_id) == ASIC_REV_5784 ||

I've got an HP xw8400 workstation with onboard Broadcom 5752 (devID 1600, according to Device Manager in Windows x64)... no luck so far.

I added the 14e4, 1600 string to Info.plist, and it's detected, but it freezes up when I try to select Ethernet in the Network window.

Anybody else have any luck?

I had a Dell Lattitude 820 with one of those, got as far as detecting the MAC and lasting for 5 minutes without crashing. Given the discussions recently about ring buffers and what not, I would say it would be possible to carry this one over the line.

By the look of the Linux drivers

http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?v=linux-2....i=ASIC_REV_5752

It would seem the 5752 is similar to the 5755 and 5787, both of which have been made to work - search the forum...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4987&st=560 should prove revealing.

>10623 if ((GET_ASIC_REV(tp->pci_chip_rev_id) != ASIC_REV_5752) &&

10624 (GET_ASIC_REV(tp->pci_chip_rev_id) != ASIC_REV_5755) &&

10625 (GET_ASIC_REV(tp->pci_chip_rev_id) != ASIC_REV_5787) &&

10626 (GET_ASIC_REV(tp->pci_chip_rev_id) != ASIC_REV_5784) &&

10627 (GET_ASIC_REV(tp->pci_chip_rev_id) != ASIC_REV_5761) &&

10628 (tp->nvram_jedecnum == JEDEC_ST) &&

10629 (nvram_cmd & NVRAM_CMD_FIRST)) {

Reverse engineer the FreeBSD drivers?

Why?

They're online... I find this site most useful:

Why ?

To see how it work for other and so how it should work for me,

They are online, yes, they are, but no necessary my model though, beside that, if I can modify just a little a bit to make it work fine for me, why do I have to do the whole thing from 0 ? quick and easy, you know ..just like ppl in another post , use the file I have uploaded here, and modify a bit, works for them ..they happy, I am happy for them too ..^^ so ..no bad ..right ?

anyway ... if you have time, please make it further by help us write a better driver, I will love it too ...

...just like ppl in another post , use the file I have uploaded here, and modify a bit, works for them ..they happy, I am happy for them too ..^^ so ..no bad ..right ?

anyway ... if you have time, please make it further by help us write a better driver, I will love it too ...

Yeah! Just like me too.

Thanks for your effort, EE!

Now i've my Latitude D620 98% working (Sigmatel audio still not fully working and Intel 3945 WiFi can only scan for networks).

Anyway - I'm happy!

:P

I mean if you can, Wait until someone really NEED good Sound...the ALMOST PERFECT driver will be out .. hahaha

in our case, we REALLY NEED INTERNET ... haha ..internet puppies rocks... :D

and I like to be a DO-er rather than TALK-er , see? we DO-er rocks... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh....

don't you agree that MAKE IT WORK is much better than TALK a LOT ? :P

Yeah! Just like me too.

Thanks for your effort, EE!

Now i've my Latitude D620 98% working (Sigmatel audio still not fully working and Intel 3945 WiFi can only scan for networks).

Anyway - I'm happy!

:|

and I like to be a DO-er rather than TALK-er , see? we DO-er rocks... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh....

don't you agree that MAKE IT WORK is much better than TALK a LOT ? :rolleyes:

Totally agree!

To be honest - it's so much fun to make things work, even if they didn't meant to...

;)

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy,

I have a NetXtreme 5782, Thanks to this driver my card is recognised in 10.5.4 00:00:00:00:00 MAC.

The second I try and change a setting on the care (ie assign an IP manually) i get a kernal panic.

Any ideas ?

EDIT: If i boot with the -x flag, I can go into my Network Prefrences and it says "Connected" It wont get a DHCP IP and When i set it manually it wont ping the router etc.

Hmmmm.....

am i close ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm closed to make the BCM5784M card work, it is now recognised and i can configure the ethernet connection in network prefrences but can not connect yet (if unplug it stays recognised as connect), there is a problem with the mac adress (00 00 etc...) and i can not change it with terminal (says network is down).

Before installing the kexts I edited the two AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext adding device ID "14e4, 1698"

The installation crashed wifi (BCM43XX) so I can not use it anymore but it is still recognised, and i can not reinstall airport with mcsmart trick...

What can i do ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Howdy,

I have a NetXtreme 5782, Thanks to this driver my card is recognised in 10.5.4 00:00:00:00:00 MAC.

The second I try and change a setting on the care (ie assign an IP manually) i get a kernal panic.

Any ideas ?

EDIT: If i boot with the -x flag, I can go into my Network Prefrences and it says "Connected" It wont get a DHCP IP and When i set it manually it wont ping the router etc.

Hmmmm.....

am i close ?

Hey ..mate

I think you are VERY CLOSE

can you tell me the DEVICE ID ?

sorry about late reply, I was so OFFLINE for my project finals ..

anyway, try to put your DEVICE ID here .and see how we can help ..

cheers

EE

Hi,

I'm closed to make the BCM5784M card work, it is now recognised and i can configure the ethernet connection in network prefrences but can not connect yet (if unplug it stays recognised as connect), there is a problem with the mac adress (00 00 etc...) and i can not change it with terminal (says card is down).

Before installing the kexts I edited the two AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext adding device ID "14e4, 1698"

The installation crashed wifi (BCM43XX) so I can not use it anymore but it is still recognised, and i can not reinstall airport with mcsmart trick...

What can i do ?

Thanks in advance for your help

how are Boomberg

Please restore your last kext for your wifi first, and then follow another post that posted

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry966268

and follow А.Д.'s method .. your card will work .. for now .. the card is just inter-looped that is why it stays connected ..but it was not .. try his method. your card will work ( finger cross)

good luck

again, sorry for late reply

I was busy

have fun

EE

Thank you for the reply,

I did manage to make the BCM5784M work hexediting noob1X BCM5787M kext, it's not perfect because we have to run a script or let terminal opened to get connect so i will have a look to AA thread to try a better method,

Here the working kext :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=963461

Thanks

Thank you for the reply,

I did manage to make the BCM5784M work hexediting noob1X BCM5787M kext, it's not perfect because we have to run a script or let terminal opened to get connect so i will have a look to AA thread to try a better method,

Here the working kext :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=963461

Thanks

as long as you have fun ..^^

sorry for not been able to make a FIT-ALL kext for you guys .. it is not I don't want to do it ..... it is because impossible for one medicine heal all illness ..

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm about to open a new can of worms. Trying to fire up a Proliant ML115 with OSX server to see how it works. Managed to get an OS installed and booted, however configuring the thing is hard, since you need a working net connection in order to get through the server setup.

The machine has an onboard Broadcomm NetExtreme 5722 (yes, 5722) Gigabit adapter. There isn't a reference to it here, however I was able to obtain it's device id as 14E4:165A.

It's totally unrecognized by any default driver. Here's what I've done:

Tried various versions of the 5751 kext.

Hexedited the device id to read "5a 16".

Replaced every instance of that.

Added that dev id to the info.plist file.

Now, it is recognized during boot, however dmesg reports this:

Wakeup - Reset Adapter Failed

Enable - Failed

resetAdapter - FTQ initialization failed

plus a bunch of registers failing.

The device shows in the network manager. the device can be configured, however any config in network manager does not stay. I have to do it manually, including setting the default route. I can give it an IP, the default route, and everything it needs, however the mac address (like others here) is 00:00... and I cannot change it by lladdr as "network is down". 'ifconfig en0 up' just returns the initialization errors.

Kinda at a loss now. I've tried just about everything, including the new Voodoo kernel (which helped stop kernel panics), and the new AppleSMBIOS and SMBIOSEFI.

I can see it. I can ping localhost, and my own IP, but anything else reports network is down - destination unreachable, no route.

Yet, I have added the route manually, and it shows.

Ideas now?