WORKING BCM57XX DRIVER for OS X

EternalEmpty

155 posts in this topic

I tried this on BCM5753M with partial success. I added the corresponding IDs to the plist (16fd), repaired permissions, and after reboot an Ethernet device appeared. ifconfig also listed en0.

And that's all with the success. When I try to change the MAC address it says that the network is down. "Ifconfig en0 up/ifconfig en down" changes nothing.

I entered manual IP and gateway and connected the laptop to a desktop (with host-to-host cable) with manual IPs and there is no ping.

I tried this on BCM5753M with partial success. I added the corresponding IDs to the plist (16fd), repaired permissions, and after reboot an Ethernet device appeared. ifconfig also listed en0.

And that's all with the success. When I try to change the MAC address it says that the network is down. "Ifconfig en0 up/ifconfig en down" changes nothing.

I entered manual IP and gateway and connected the laptop to a desktop (with host-to-host cable) with manual IPs and there is no ping.

for 16fd, you need to change more than just the IDs, because the RAM ADDRESS may( very high possibility) is different, or/and also the chip might no longer compatible, so please refer to

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=4987

and go for А.Д.'s method, you will be fine

thanks for feedback dude.

Well, I'm about to open a new can of worms. Trying to fire up a Proliant ML115 with OSX server to see how it works. Managed to get an OS installed and booted, however configuring the thing is hard, since you need a working net connection in order to get through the server setup.

The machine has an onboard Broadcomm NetExtreme 5722 (yes, 5722) Gigabit adapter. There isn't a reference to it here, however I was able to obtain it's device id as 14E4:165A.

It's totally unrecognized by any default driver. Here's what I've done:

Tried various versions of the 5751 kext.

Hexedited the device id to read "5a 16".

Replaced every instance of that.

Added that dev id to the info.plist file.

Now, it is recognized during boot, however dmesg reports this:

Wakeup - Reset Adapter Failed

Enable - Failed

resetAdapter - FTQ initialization failed

plus a bunch of registers failing.

The device shows in the network manager. the device can be configured, however any config in network manager does not stay. I have to do it manually, including setting the default route. I can give it an IP, the default route, and everything it needs, however the mac address (like others here) is 00:00... and I cannot change it by lladdr as "network is down". 'ifconfig en0 up' just returns the initialization errors.

Kinda at a loss now. I've tried just about everything, including the new Voodoo kernel (which helped stop kernel panics), and the new AppleSMBIOS and SMBIOSEFI.

I can see it. I can ping localhost, and my own IP, but anything else reports network is down - destination unreachable, no route.

Yet, I have added the route manually, and it shows.

Ideas now?

Yes, the RAM address is different, you perhaps want to find a UNIX or BSD driver for that card and find out the detail about that card and then you will have a much clear picture..

I am sorry that I can't help any better ..because I don't have that model with me...

what I can tell you is, the card is actually been looping back to local, in many case, this is just a method for computer to detect the hardware , if that applies,

I am sorry that I missed out your post last time, I hope my answer can be in some way help you to find out some clue.

have fun ..need more help.. anytime.

• 2 weeks later...
for 16fd, you need to change more than just the IDs, because the RAM ADDRESS may( very high possibility) is different, or/and also the chip might no longer compatible, so please refer to

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=4987

and go for А.Д.'s method, you will be fine

thanks for feedback dude.

Hi there, I need some help badly! I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with a BCM 57XX installed onboard ethernet. I can't get it to work no matter what i try, I tried your well done tutorial, however, the eth0 still reports that it is disconnected. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, can you please help, i understand that this is a bother, but ive figured everything else but this. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Tested with 10.5.2 Vanilla kernel for BCM5786. Necessary changes were made off course, because this card is: 169a, so it was 9A 16 that got replaced.

Result: Card works, but causes kernel panic (freeze) after short period of network card usage.

Hi, same card here, but with the attached kexts nothing works.

What changes did you do?

Thanks!

im getting error message when i reboot IONetworkingFamily.kext whas not installed right somnething my card id is 1677 nad i have a desktop pc when  i type in ifconfig she dosent show any en0 anymore and when i go to n etwork settings it frezzes

sorry for my bad english

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eternal,

I have read your above posting. I followed your instruction but i still could not get it to work. Hope you would be able to provide me with some guidance.

I am using 14E4 169D, which should be the same as the one that you have work with.

What i did is that

1) I installed iatkos v1.0i. (During installation i did not select any driver for network.)

2) When I booked into leopard, I followed your instruction exactly. After reparing permission, i reboot my system.

The issue is that I did not see any messages that states that the netword card is detected upon reboot.

Hope you could help me out with this.

Best Regards,

Soulz

When I click in System Preferenmces > Network it shows me an Ethernet (en0), but says that is not Connected.

is the network card recognized?

I can't get my network working.

Acer 5920

Broadcom Netlink BCM5787M

i am sorry , my ipcosx 10.5.6 is successfully installed , but there is no ethernet device shown , it seams to be nothing . here can i apply this kext to my osx ?

i had follow the procedure that you though me to do , but after i reboot , the kernal attempt to be panic . =-=

Hi there, I need some help badly! I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with a BCM 57XX installed onboard ethernet. I can't get it to work no matter what i try, I tried your well done tutorial, however, the eth0 still reports that it is disconnected. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, can you please help, i understand that this is a bother, but ive figured everything else but this. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

hey ..man ..can you tell me what is your DEVICE ID ? I really need to know that before I know how to help you ..thanks

sorry for late reply..I was busy ..Like Hell ..and then on holiday Drink like Hell too ..so ..didn't com and check email ..sorry

hey i get a error (IONetworkingFamily.kext whas not installed right something) how do i fix this i have the 1677 version

sorry for double post intenet {censored}t up

I haven't try on 1677 before .I am sorry , but have you try to modify your HEX to "77 16" ? well ..this is a very bad hack too, but I am not sure that will help or not,

if it freezing on you, that means the card has been readed, but the buffer address is different, in that case it could be trouble a bit.

since I don't have the card with me, you may want to try other solution until I have the card with me, then I can test it for you. but not sure when I can get the card though ... :)

Hi Eternal,

I have read your above posting. I followed your instruction but i still could not get it to work. Hope you would be able to provide me with some guidance.

I am using 14E4 169D, which should be the same as the one that you have work with.

What i did is that

1) I installed iatkos v1.0i. (During installation i did not select any driver for network.)

2) When I booked into leopard, I followed your instruction exactly. After reparing permission, i reboot my system.

The issue is that I did not see any messages that states that the netword card is detected upon reboot.

Hope you could help me out with this.

Best Regards,

Soulz

Hey .Soulz

if you are using 169D, I am sure you will have not problem with the kext, before it tell you it has new card detected, you should click to open the NETWORK icon, of coz if you have already tried, then it must be something wrong with your kext didn't load correctly ,,

try to remove the installed kext, and repair permission and then reboot, with flag -f and then install the kext again, repair again, and boot with -f one more time

I hope it works for you

something I need to point out, I never try on 10.5.0 if that is what you refer to, somehow I just didn't, personally, I think the best version I have try on Iatkos IS 10.5.4 (4i) not even 5i, you should try that version , Iatkos 5i wasn't a good build for me, I have try like many times, but fail as many time as I tried ..

have fun .I am sure you can enjoy the os x with this kext very much ... try it again and make your new year a bit poshing .. :)

When I click in System Preferenmces > Network it shows me an Ethernet (en0), but says that is not Connected.

is the network card recognized?

I can't get my network working.

Acer 5920

Broadcom Netlink BCM5787M

Hi there..

I am not sure .. can you tell me Device ID first ?

i am sorry , my ipcosx 10.5.6 is successfully installed , but there is no ethernet device shown , it seams to be nothing . here can i apply this kext to my osx ?

i had follow the procedure that you though me to do , but after i reboot , the kernal attempt to be panic . =-=

I am using this ketxt on the same version of OS X as you have, and I am now using it to reply your post, so maybe you want to tell me what is your device id ...^^

This is my hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1693&SUBSYS_01211025&REV_02

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1693&SUBSYS_01211025

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1693&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1693&CC_0200

This is my matching vendor Id:

pci\ven_14e4&dev_1693&subsys_01211025

acer aspire 5920g:

this is my device id ,

i keep tried the method in the readme , after i apply to the osx , it totally freeze my screen , and whenever i do -v -x -s it still in kernal panic.

first of all is there any way to go in the terminal and recover the file , since i already backup the extension folder . For now , i had to keep reinstall the osx >.< .

2nd any solution for my ethernet card ? could anyone help me to create a new kext ? i will try my best to help you test it .

How can I know if my card is been recognized by the OSx86?

In System Preferences\Networks it shows me?

Ethernet (en0) Not Connected

Cable Unplugged

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACER 5920

Broadcom Netlink BCM5787M Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1693] (rev 02)

iAtkos 5i

How can I know if my card is been recognized by the OSx86?

In System Preferences\Networks it shows me?

Ethernet (en0) Not Connected

Cable Unplugged

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACER 5920

Broadcom Netlink BCM5787M Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1693] (rev 02)

iAtkos 5i

Sorry man ... this kext is not working for 1693

I was not able to get a 1693 card with me to test it.

This is my hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1693&SUBSYS_01211025&REV_02

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1693&SUBSYS_01211025

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1693&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1693&CC_0200

This is my matching vendor Id:

pci\ven_14e4&dev_1693&subsys_01211025

acer aspire 5920g:

this is my device id ,

i keep tried the method in the readme , after i apply to the osx , it totally freeze my screen , and whenever i do -v -x -s it still in kernal panic.

first of all is there any way to go in the terminal and recover the file , since i already backup the extension folder . For now , i had to keep reinstall the osx >.< .

2nd any solution for my ethernet card ? could anyone help me to create a new kext ? i will try my best to help you test it .

ya ..this kext is not working for the 1693

AND you can remove the kext by using your CD to boot, and on the first GUI screen.. start the Terminal , and us "rm" to remove the kext you just have installed .. and repair the permission reboot. you should be fine

It Work!!!!!

I have installed this

PCCard.10.5.2.Beta2.pkg.zip and then i have installed the driver.

ACER 5920 - Ethernet Working (BCM5787M Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1693])

Thanks Benny134!!

First I installed this kext : Broadcom5787M.zip

More info here HERE

Then I installed this pack : PCCard.10.5.2.Beta2.pkg.zip

Now my Ethernet Card started to be recognized by the system.

Then I used this comand line: tcpdump -i en0

That´s it!!! It´s working now!!

BCM5787M working in iAtkos 5i.

Hi Eternal,

I have a:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M_2
Gigabit Ethernet [14e4:165e] (rev 03)

on a Dell XPS M170. Just wanted to let you know, it does indeed work. You have likely works in your tutorial. No perf tests yet, but I was able to connect.

Thanks so much!

Hi Eternal,

I have a:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M_2
Gigabit Ethernet [14e4:165e] (rev 03)

on a Dell XPS M170. Just wanted to let you know, it does indeed work. You have likely works in your tutorial. No perf tests yet, but I was able to connect.

Thanks so much!

o..great ... that is a good news ....^^

Would this also work for the 5764M (id=1684)? I am having a hard time finding anything on this nic and I need to find something to make networking possible.

wow .. this is new to me .. never try this model before,

I tell you what, how about you backup your extensions folder first ..and then follow the tutorial at the first page ..and try to see if it works or not .. if not .. you just use your DVD boot into Terminal, and remove the installed kext .. you will still be fine ...

give it a go if you want

Ok, I have tried installing, but no luck.

Following the tutorial, nothing happened.

Then I added the device id to both kexts, repaired permissions again, updated kext cache.

Rebooted with -v, and saw it tried to load, but failed with "mapping device memory failed"

Any suggestions as to how to fix? (if this is fixable)

Driver should be ok, as the drivers on the broadcom site for the 5751 and 5764 are the same family/package.

Ok, I have tried installing, but no luck.

Following the tutorial, nothing happened.

Then I added the device id to both kexts, repaired permissions again, updated kext cache.

Rebooted with -v, and saw it tried to load, but failed with "mapping device memory failed"

Any suggestions as to how to fix? (if this is fixable)

Driver should be ok, as the drivers on the broadcom site for the 5751 and 5764 are the same family/package.

I will say you will find a lot of trouble from that then , because the most important fact here is the kext can't read your card's memory address, so I will say you go to search linux drivers for this particular model that you have and 5789, and compare different btw 5789 driver and 5764/5751, and then make step to see how you want to do next ..

good luck