WORKING BCM57XX DRIVER for OS X

EternalEmpty

155 posts in this topic

Thanks for your efford, but this driver (kext) no works for me.

My computer: Acer Aspire 4320 with BCM5787M 14e4:1693.

Card is detected in system profile with zeros mac and this present same failures that other has been posted here, in adition i get a kernel panic after some seconds.

Regards.

Hi, same BCM5787M (14e4-1693)

As soon as I can, I´ll test package. A couple of days. I´ll report.

My box: Acer Aspire 5920, the X3100 one. Kalyway 10.5.2, vanilla. No updates yet.

It will be nice to have Eth support! ... Thanks in advance, EthernetEmpty! :) (...seriously, great work! )

more:

post-165597-1216001623_thumb.jpg

@EternalEmpty

I'm trying to get a 14e4:1693 working...

Can you explain, why your package contains IONetworkFamily with a BCM kext AND additionally a separate BCM driver kext? The device ID seems to be activated in both corresponding Info.plist files and therefor I would expect both different drivers to react on the same hardware detection. Shouldn't that lead to some kind of conflict?

I just experimented with my vanilla installation 10.5.4 (did not install your kexts) and got the card to be recognized by the 5751 driver, even with the "new card found window". Sadly, I couldn't set the MAC, because ifconfig reports Network is down every time and if I tail -f /var/log/system.log you can see, that the driver fails every time trying to set the parameters. So it seems that the card doesn't react as the driver expexts.

Did you somehow modify the driver source to get it to work? And might it be possible just to exchange the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext in the existing IONetworkfamily.kext plugin folder?

@EternalEmpty

I'm trying to get a 14e4:1693 working...

Can you explain, why your package contains IONetworkFamily with a BCM kext AND additionally a separate BCM driver kext? The device ID seems to be activated in both corresponding Info.plist files and therefor I would expect both different drivers to react on the same hardware detection. Shouldn't that lead to some kind of conflict?

I just experimented with my vanilla installation 10.5.4 (did not install your kexts) and got the card to be recognized by the 5751 driver, even with the "new card found window". Sadly, I couldn't set the MAC, because ifconfig reports Network is down every time and if I tail -f /var/log/system.log you can see, that the driver fails every time trying to set the parameters. So it seems that the card doesn't react as the driver expexts.

Did you somehow modify the driver source to get it to work? And might it be possible just to exchange the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext in the existing IONetworkfamily.kext plugin folder?

Hi, I do modified something on my card first (14e4, 169d) to make it work stable, most of them on ROM, .and test it based on those drivers ..and I also tested those drivers on different card....

actually.. I have discovered that most of the card will work without modification on the ROM and those kexts, as long as the installation steps carefully follow my test case, as after recompile them ... I do a lot of change on the driver I am currently use on my machine ..but most of them ..just base on the original driver .. thanks to those source code ppl ..

both those kext in both folder is actually one for system to load and another one ...just for referencing ... however, exchange those two files or replace it ..the result should be the same .. it is on my case ...

I have tired to make the driver to read the offset address on BCM card, but it just won't get the IO right ..always return nulls ...

so.. I basically give up to get the MAC out ..as I have it works well on few models .. but some model become a bit difficult for me to test on as I don't have them with me all the time ...

as I have said .. some of those card when they are shipped as OEM product to another motherboard maker ..they might have been slightly changed ... it results nothing quite same anymore ..

example, VIA HD sound card offical driver from VIA arean won't work on those VIA HD sound card when under some LINUX versions. but it works fine under windows ... system, Shuttle, Nforce 570MP, VIA HDA . anyway ... SHUTTLE IS A BLOODY GOOD COMPUTER ...

My box: Acer Aspire 5920, the X3100 one. Kalyway 10.5.2, vanilla. No updates yet.

It will be nice to have Eth support! ... Thanks in advance, EthernetEmpty! :blink: (...seriously, great work! )

more:

Hey, THANKYOU VERY MUCH for feedback...

I am just trying my bit to help those who has the same problem with me ... so ..you cool .. man

It will be nice to have Eth support! ... Thanks in advance, EthernetEmpty! :blink: (...seriously, great work! )

more:

Totally same config hardware and os but doesnt work for me? :D

doesn't work on my BCM5787M (14e4:1693)

no network detected

when i go to preference and choose network

preference window not responding , with apple colorful cursor wheel rotating forever

whenever i start MAC i keep getting error on IOnetworkingfamily.text & appleBCM5751.kext

doesn't work on my BCM5787M (14e4:1693)

no network detected

when i go to preference and choose network

preference window not responding , with apple colorful cursor wheel rotating forever

whenever i start MAC i keep getting error on IOnetworkingfamily.text & appleBCM5751.kext

I had the same problem.

Run disk utility and correct permission on the hard drive, then preferences will work.

But my Broadcom 5787M has not worked.

I've got a 5755 (Dev: 167B ) and I was able to get it working slightly...

I had to take your driver and add my DevID to your Info.plist as well as do a hex search/replace for the "66 81 FA 77 16" with "66 81 FA 7B 16".

It then shows up in the device list with the 00:00:00:00:00:00 MAC and I can successfully replace it with it's burnt-in MAC without crashing the system.

I get some interesting startup messages.

Jul 23 11:04:04 localhost kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId=

Jul 23 11:04:04 bousquet-mac configd[14]: setting hostname to "bousquet-mac.local"

Jul 23 11:04:04 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: BCM5751Enet: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00

Jul 23 11:04:04 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId=

Jul 23 11:04:04 bousquet-mac securityd[37]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Jul 23 11:04:04 bousquet-mac com.apple.launchd[1] (com.openssh.sshd): Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

Jul 23 11:04:04 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId=

Jul 23 11:04:04 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751::selectMedium - 100mbit, full duplex, flow control disabled

Jul 23 11:04:06 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751Ethernet - en2 link active, 100-Mbit, full duplex, flow control disabled

Jul 23 11:04:09 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751Ethernet: a 0 interruptOccurred - Not my interrupt

Jul 23 11:05:04 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId=

Jul 23 11:05:04 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId=

Jul 23 11:05:04 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId=

Jul 23 11:05:05 bousquet-mac /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/MacOS/ManagedClient[114]: ODUEthernetAddress(): GetEthernetAddress()== 5

Jul 23 11:05:07 bousquet-mac kernel[0]: AppleBCM5751Ethernet - en2 link active, 100-Mbit, full duplex, flow control disabled

Jul 23 11:05:12 bousquet-mac com.apple.loginwindow[50]: ODUEthernetAddress(): GetEthernetAddress()== 5

Jul 23 11:05:17 bousquet-mac /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/MacOS/ManagedClient[166]: ODUEthernetAddress(): GetEthernetAddress()== 5

Jul 23 11:05:17 bousquet-mac com.apple.loginwindow[50]: ODUEthernetAddress(): GetEthernetAddress()== 5

I can then get DHCP or do static IP addressing. I can ping and be pinged without issue. I can NSLOOKUP without issue.

BUT after random lengths of time the system with either hang or give me the greyed out you must reboot screen.

What do you guys think?

i have: [14e4:1693] (rev 02) installed with how-to.

card gets detected but same prob like all. can give ip and so on, system says i am connected but have no connection and cant ping. mac is zero. doesnt work right now

Sorry, no luck for 1673, I use your driver and add my DevID 1673 to the Info.plist as well as do a hex search/replace for the "66 81 FA 77 16" with "66 81 FA 73 16". then manually set the mac address use ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, then I can access the internet, but only for 30 or less seconds, then the system halt.

Why I type "cd /System/Library/" as per the instructions I get an error saying No such file or directory.

I know the folder is there, why wont it change to it? Im a total noob to this but I am running OS x 10.5.2 thanks.

Hi.

System: acer 5220

Kext: AppleBCM5751Ethernet

have mac-address 00:00: ...

Must specify manually. When running ifconfig en0 ether 11:22:66: AA: BB: FF, the system is frozen.

What other way is on the orders manually mac-address.

Sorry for bad English. I hope I wrote understandable

EternalEmpty, thanks for all the effort.

Sadly my 167A is not working. I modified all the 167d in both info.plist to 167a, "new card" message appeared on reboot but says "cable is disconnected". also "network is down" when trying to change mac addr.

Why I type "cd /System/Library/" as per the instructions I get an error saying No such file or directory.

I know the folder is there, why wont it change to it? Im a total noob to this but I am running OS x 10.5.2 thanks.

CD (space) /System/Libaray/

Hi.

System: acer 5220

Kext: AppleBCM5751Ethernet

have mac-address 00:00: ...

Must specify manually. When running ifconfig en0 ether 11:22:66: AA: BB: FF, the system is frozen.

What other way is on the orders manually mac-address.

Sorry for bad English. I hope I wrote understandable

Just leave the MAC be 00:00:00 ....

BUT manually config your IP details/ DNS/ Gateway/

EternalEmpty, thanks for all the effort.

Sadly my 167A is not working. I modified all the 167d in both info.plist to 167a, "new card" message appeared on reboot but says "cable is disconnected". also "network is down" when trying to change mac addr.

It is very likely to work on your case, try two more times on install .. remove all your caches...... and backup the original kext first ..then delete them in extension file ..

and do it again .. I have faith on your case

When I open a browser to get online, my system is frozen in loading pages.

The same happens when I use IM client, but after more time.

In any case, when working with Ethernet online system crashes.

Maybe it is because overfill memory Ethernet or something like that.

Seeking solutions to change the mac-address. Maybe it will solve the problem, if possible.

When I open a browser to get online, my system is frozen in loading pages.

The same happens when I use IM client, but after more time.

In any case, when working with Ethernet online system crashes.

Maybe it is because overfill memory Ethernet or something like that.

Seeking solutions to change the mac-address. Maybe it will solve the problem, if possible.

nothing really to do with the Mac about the frozen, just that driver itself is not perfect.. that is all ... but you can try to change the model to FULL Duplex or Half Duplex, the driver didn't actually design for that ..so sometimes it has been turn on/off somehow.

and most of the frozen problem is something to do with the Kernel version...

Tested with 10.5.2 Vanilla kernel for BCM5786. Necessary changes were made off course, because this card is: 169a, so it was 9A 16 that got replaced.

Result: Card works, but causes kernel panic (freeze) after short period of network card usage.

I have also found generic BSD drivers bge(4) that support this card, but I have no idea if they will work if compiled (I have no Xcode here). However it may help point someone more skilled than me in right direction.

Do you mind sharing with us what changes have you applied to the original Apple files in order for us to do the same for our cards ? mine for example is a 14E4:1693 ...

Maybe a tutorial like that would be more appropriate for this board