PC EFI vs. Chameleon EFI

23 posts in this topic

so obviously chameleon is the winner. Where do you go to obtain it? or is it somewhat of a closed source thing that teams put into their images.

Do a google and look for the address with a .hu extension on it. I would post the link, but the administrator is blocking it.

* Provides the same (fake) EFI features as PC_EFI

* device-properties string in the com.apple.Boot.plist can have line-breaks, tabs, spaces. With PC_EFI you must keep the whole string in one single line - which is hard to maintain.

* Unified boot0/boot1h for MBR/GUID partitioned disks - PC_EFI uses a separate boot0/boot1h for GUID disks which makes DVD builders and users work harder.

* boot0 can even pick-up unactivated primary HFS+ partitions - PC_EFI can’t.

* cdboot is also available (works now with JMicron connected IDE DVD drives) - you can’t get cdboot with PC_EFI. DVD builders would be happy with that, it makes their - and our - life easy.

* Can boot from software RAID configs - PC_EFI can’t.

* Don’t need to hassle with startupfiletool anymore to embed the stage2 boot onto your partition, instead just copy the ‘boot’ file to your root folder as a single file. boot1h is still compatibile with the old startupfile loading method.

* Installation takes only 3 steps:

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

1. Install boot0 to the MBR: fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

2. Install boot1h to the partition’s bootsector: dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=2

3. Install boot to the partition’s root directory: cp boot /

* Supports more CPUs (AMD, Intel SSE2) - PC_EFI only supports Intel CPUs.

* As a bonus we’re providing a Vista friendly fdisk which won’t break your current Vista installation in case of dual-booting scenarios.

* Chameleon is an opensource (APSL) and open-minded project - how about PC_EFI?

Original Link: http://######.com/blog/?p=171

You've sold me on Chameleon, but my first foray was disappointing. I did my normal procedure: installed from a retail disk, installed 10.5.3, installed the needed kexts. However, when I got to the EFI step, instead of Netkas PC EFI, I just ran the Chameleon installer that was in a DMG on their website. Didn't work. My computer can't see anything to boot from. It just skips right over that disk, even if I use F10 an explicitly specify that disk at boot time, so it's definitely something wrong with the install. Something I'm missing?

You've sold me on Chameleon, but my first foray was disappointing. I did my normal procedure: installed from a retail disk, installed 10.5.3, installed the needed kexts. However, when I got to the EFI step, instead of Netkas PC EFI, I just ran the Chameleon installer that was in a DMG on their website. Didn't work. My computer can't see anything to boot from. It just skips right over that disk, even if I use F10 an explicitly specify that disk at boot time, so it's definitely something wrong with the install. Something I'm missing?

I used installer many times no problem.

Chameleon_1.0.11_installer.dmg.zip

im curioushow the software raid support will compare to my rocketraid 2300 i am running right now (3 750gb seagate sata booting os x)

i get pretty good scores on xbench, but my boot times suck. on the grey apple screen with spinning wheel i have @ 25 spins of the wheel before it boots, where as a single hd with my setup spins like 4-6 times and its booted up.

All right, got it! The Chameleon installer doesn't work for my computer. :unsure: Anyway, I installed it used pcwiz's OSX86 tools, and it all works great! My computer would do a Windows-style hang for around 15 seconds after boot with PC EFI, no more with Chameleon!!

me == happy

I installed it the other day, added bootstrings for my video and life is good. I grabbed their ppf for the kalyway 10.5.2 for when i install my son's hackintosh next month. I love that it's opensource, which means it's just going to get better.

According to this chameleon is definitely better, but is there a reason to install it on my working Desktop ( AMD )?

Since I don't want to fix what's not broken for no reason :unsure:

I wouldn't. I'm a neat freak, so I reinstall Mac OS X with each point update. I just used Chameleon this time instead of PC EFI. Chameleon seems nicer.

Whooaa. I'm gonna try chamaleon then.

-I got anCore 2 duo laptop. Do you think it would be still better than chamaleon?

-Can anyone show me some links about the efi strings thing? It sounds better than installing kexts for audio and things like that, but I have no idea of what is and how to install efi strings...

-Can anyoneplease send me links where somene explains how to add kexts or chamaleon to the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd? I didn't know it was possible!

Thanks

Hi I have to say that I'm thouroughly impressed with the chameleon EFI. I have not once been able to install a vanilla version of leopard on my core 2 duo E6300 with the iATKOS 1.0ir2 or 2.0i versions....I'm going to install the Kalyway 10.5.2 for tpb. I selected the absolute bare minimums....ie. no patches except for the netkas smbios and 1 lan, 1 audio driver and the 9.2 vanilla kernel....Bingo....booted up perfect Marvel lan worked oob and same with audio realtek alc883 on my GUID partition!!! Installed my Nvidia drivers with NVinstaller 0.41 and now everything I need is configured...dual screen worked straight away Nvidia 8800gts 320.....now since I have the vanilla kernel I'm performing an update and hope that will upgrade it from Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.4 in one 560mb software update....tried it and no luck just kp...might have to keep looking for a good 10.5.4 upgrade guide.

Whooaa. I'm gonna try chamaleon then.

-I got anCore 2 duo laptop. Do you think it would be still better than chamaleon?

-Can anyone show me some links about the efi strings thing? It sounds better than installing kexts for audio and things like that, but I have no idea of what is and how to install efi strings...

-Can anyoneplease send me links where somene explains how to add kexts or chamaleon to the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd? I didn't know it was possible!

Thanks

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html