Help Mashugly Get a MacBook Pro

Swad

231 posts in this topic

Please take that image out of your signature so dialup users don't have to wait a year to load this page. No, I don't believe we can help you get it right now, there are others that deserve it more right now.

Then they can disable viewing sig's in their settings. They can choose to use the "Lo-Fi" version of the forums instead of the High-Bandwidth version. Besides, who uses Dial-Up still? DSL is just as cheap as dial-up is now-a-days.

Then they can disable viewing sig's in their settings. They can choose to use the "Lo-Fi" version of the forums instead of the High-Bandwidth version. Besides, who uses Dial-Up still? DSL is just as cheap as dial-up is now-a-days.

It's still against the forum rules. Sampson, if you are unhappy about Mashugly getting what I think he deserves, then leave this thread. Trolling should be a criminal offense. :)

It's still against the forum rules. Sampson, if you are unhappy about Mashugly getting what I think he deserves, then leave this thread. Trolling should be a criminal offense. :hysterical:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...pic=20&hl=rules <-- Im not flaming. Sampson isnt flaming. If anything, by you trying to tell us what to do, when your not a mod or anything, can be considered flaming.

~Zim

AppleLegal, I never said you were flaming, I was just pointing out that Mashugly doesn't like people having images in their signatures. He has mentioned this to other people as well, so I'm just trying to help out. Sampson isn't breaking any rules that I know of, but he has no need to be here, in my opinion. In any of the posts I've made, I haven't told anyone what to do, I'm simply stating the fact that Mashugly did earlier in this thread. As this is becoming off topic, I believe the thread should be closed. I'm sure there are some moderators that can agree with me.

i have just as much reason to be on this board as you do. infact, i've actually contributed to this community quite a few times. search for me on the wiki or my post history in here.

don't tell me where i do and don't belong, you obviously have no f***ing clue what's going on.

cmon guys... lets try to get along here. sampson - you have made quite a few posts about this, and you seem quite upset. would you like to spell out exactly what is upsetting you, and how you think it should be put right?

others - backseat moderation is probably not a good idea, as it will incite flamewars.

we want this forum to be friendly and community-spirited. getting mash his mbp (and i do beleive he will buy one when rev. 2 is out) is just a nice way of giving something back to the founder of the site. nobody, im sure not even mash, is claiming that his contribution eclipses anyone else's. if you can tell us what is bothering you about this, maybe we can sort this out and end this bickering.

how about the fact that mashugly starts his site and hires up a 'staff' to run it for him. rarely is he seen, only asking people in the community to make articles for his site to which he requires everyone to digg and submit to slashdot. he never pays his staff any money he recieves from advertisements nor did he care about the horrible administration of shade.

i fail to see how getting someone who runs a WEBSITE about a development community is going to further the development of osx86 at all. all osx patches are publically posted with changelogs. you don't have to have a macbook to be able to keep 'up to date' on apple stuff.

hell, a lot of the people that do the development don't even USE osx.

you can try and say that it costs a lot of money to run this site but truthfully, it doesn't. having been in the hosting business i know for a fact that it doesn't cost a 'metric f***ton' of money for a site unless you provide streaming content or are popular on the scale of fark or somethingawful.

hi sampson. to address your specific concerns:

how about the fact that mashugly starts his site and hires up a 'staff' to run it for him.

ok... so whats the problem with that? its a big site, and mash has other priorities in his life (his education for example) which means he can't dedicate his entire life to running one website. all the staff members are people who have been active in the community and who voluntarily give their time to help maintain the website.

rarely is he seen, only asking people in the community to make articles for his site to which he requires everyone to digg and submit to slashdot.

i am not aware of any such requirements. many of us have submitted articles for the site, and have never felt under pressure to submit them to digg or slashdot.

he never pays his staff any money he recieves from advertisements nor did he care about the horrible administration of shade.

nobody is asking for any money. if the staff members dont have a problem, then why do you? we're happy to see any ad revenue go towards the upkeep of the site. if there's any left over, well fine. its not like mashugly is getting fat and rich off of it. i cant see him retiring *just* yet... :P

as for the 'shade' question.... forgive my ignorance, but what is shade?

i fail to see how getting someone who runs a WEBSITE about a development community is going to further the development of osx86 at all. all osx patches are publically posted with changelogs.

do you really need me to spell this one out? osx86project has become THE place people come to discuss ALL aspects of OS X on Intel processors. a large amount of the work already done by the community has been coordinated via this website (and win2osx.net, god rest its soul). this forum is 'OSX on X86 Central', where stars like Maxxuss, Myzar, JaS, Omni and many others first cut their teeth on OSX. i see that you personally have posted various things (for which im sure the community are glad and appreciative), like your xbox controller kexts, and various ports. if you cant see the value of this website, why did you post your work here?

you don't have to have a macbook to be able to keep 'up to date' on apple stuff.

hell, a lot of the people that do the development don't even USE osx.

quite right, you probably dont. its not essential. but handy.

you can try and say that it costs a lot of money to run this site but truthfully, it doesn't. having been in the hosting business i know for a fact that it doesn't cost a 'metric f***ton' of money for a site unless you provide streaming content or are popular on the scale of fark or somethingawful.

well, some interesting figures for you. i recently did some stats gathering against our database. while we have over 37,000 registered users, some 22,000 of those are still currently active (ie have posted or at least visited since january). i dont care what anyone says, thats a lot of traffic. shard could probably provide a bit more insight into the amount of data flying out from this site.

i cant provide specific data on hosting costs, mainly because i dont have it, but also because its nobody's business but mash's.

apart from doing some more complaining, you havent suggested how you'd like to see these things rectified. please try to be a bit more constructive. if you think something is wrong, please tell us how you think it should be put right. above all, lets all just try to get along. flamewars dont get anyone anywhere, and just leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

hi sampson. to address your specific concerns:

ok... so whats the problem with that? its a big site, and mash has other priorities in his life (his education for example) which means he can't dedicate his entire life to running one website. all the staff members are people who have been active in the community and who voluntarily give their time to help maintain the website.

i am not aware of any such requirements. many of us have submitted articles for the site, and have never felt under pressure to submit them to digg or slashdot.

nobody is asking for any money. if the staff members dont have a problem, then why do you? we're happy to see any ad revenue go towards the upkeep of the site. if there's any left over, well fine. its not like mashugly is getting fat and rich off of it. i cant see him retiring *just* yet... :P

then you must not pay much attention in his irc channel where he pastes digg links constantly begging everyone to digg it. even if they don't have an account, you better register because it needs to be on the front page!!

as for the 'shade' question.... forgive my ignorance, but what is shade?

shad/shade/shadenet whatever the f*** you want to call him. he fired off the entire staff because they were 'expendable'. guess what happened? the quality of this place dropped dramatically and the irc channel became a laughable place to go to because nobody worthwhile is there to help.

do you really need me to spell this one out? osx86project has become THE place people come to discuss ALL aspects of OS X on Intel processors. a large amount of the work already done by the community has been coordinated via this website (and win2osx.net, god rest its soul). this forum is 'OSX on X86 Central', where stars like Maxxuss, Myzar, JaS, Omni and many others first cut their teeth on OSX. i see that you personally have posted various things (for which im sure the community are glad and appreciative), like your xbox controller kexts, and various ports. if you cant see the value of this website, why did you post your work here?

sure, it's a great site. that's not the point

quite right, you probably dont. its not essential. but handy.

handy in what way? give me 1 real reason how you getting a macbook improves this site. this just seems like a great way to make your users get you something for little-to-nothing. it seems more like a personal agenda then one that pertains to the osx86 community at all.

well, some interesting figures for you. i recently did some stats gathering against our database. while we have over 37,000 registered users, some 22,000 of those are still currently active (ie have posted or at least visited since january. i dont care what anyone says, thats a lot of traffic. shard could probably provide a bit more insight into the amount of data flying out from this site.

i cant provide specific data on hosting costs, mainly because i dont have it, but also because its nobody's business but mash's.

ok 37k users, on average alexa says 9 million page views a day. we'll say each page is 4k due to image caching. according to my calculations, at 9 million page views the bandwidth consumed is at around 1.05GB. His site is hosted off of servermatrix. The cheapest dedi box is $99 a month and can easily handle the site load for this place. 9 million page views from adsense, well that's quite a lot of money.

apart from doing some more complaining, you havent suggested how you'd like to see these things rectified. please try to be a bit more constructive. if you think something is wrong, please tell us how you think it should be put right. above all, lets all just try to get along. flamewars dont get anyone anywhere, and just leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

how about rather than abusing your influence on the community you come up with real suggestions that will promote it further? i have never once made a cent off anything i've ever done and never intend to. it's {censored} like this that gives hobbyist communities a bad name because of some greedy f***s. this is not 'giving back to the makers' at all. if that were true you would have suggested helping out some of the people that really deserve one like omni or anyone else that does actual work. instead you and mash decided to do this for yourself and won't allow anyone else the ability to spam their own macbook referrals on this site. truthfully i can't wait until after you finish your macbook because this place will be full of OMG GIVE ME A REFERRAL posts. it will be quite lol if you ask me.

instead you and mash decided to do this for yourself and won't allow anyone else the ability to spam their own macbook referrals on this site.

Yeah, that's how it gets done. If everyone pulled for referrals at once no one would ever finish and a LOT of money would go wasted.

truthfully i can't wait until after you finish your macbook because this place will be full of OMG GIVE ME A REFERRAL posts. it will be quite lol if you ask me.

You still haven't answered how this personally affects you? Who cares if the place gets overrun by fire ants? Does it really require you pulling anger from the depths of Keanu Reeves soul?

You act like your taking out some previous wrongdoing here, as a form of therapy or something. It's not a big deal, and certainly isn't harming you at all.

Relax and let it go.

Sampson it seems like you are jealous of the fact that mashugly is getting a macbook pro for nothing and you think you are more deserving because you contribute kexts etc.

Well there's nothing stopping you putting up your own referal thread sampson - the only ones that have been removed to date are those posted by people who have otherwise not contributed to the forum and have only signed up to beg or referals.

I don't see what the problem is with Mashugly asking users to promote the site, and can't really see the relevence of who/whatever shade is - nobody is being fired and i think if you speak to any of the staff you'll find that this is one of the most community oriented sites they've worked with.

no, i'm upset that he did such a thing. you would never see me do something as low. i've been offered tons of free hardware over the course of my life in development and i've turned it all down. it's about the actual software. not freebies.

it's one thing to ask people to digg a submission and it's another to make people register to a site they don't even visit to promote your web page. that's called SPAM.

look at most any respected development community and you won't see their site plastered in ads with their admins begging you to give out their site. they have a paypal donate link where anyone can freely donate money towards the cost of the hosting required.

then you must not pay much attention in his irc channel where he pastes digg links constantly begging everyone to digg it. even if they don't have an account, you better register because it needs to be on the front page!!

due to my various other commitments, i dont spend time in the IRC channel. I am a moderator on the forum, not an IRC op.

shad/shade/shadenet whatever the f*** you want to call him. he fired off the entire staff because they were 'expendable'. guess what happened? the quality of this place dropped dramatically and the irc channel became a laughable place to go to because nobody worthwhile is there to help.

are you talking about Shard? if so, I guess you'd have to take that up with him.

sure, it's a great site. that's not the point

right. so.... what IS the point?

handy in what way? give me 1 real reason how you getting a macbook improves this site. this just seems like a great way to make your users get you something for little-to-nothing. it seems more like a personal agenda then one that pertains to the osx86 community at all.

from a personal point of view, yes, i would like to have a macbook. there, i've said it. however, I also am keen to contribute to the EFI effort and am keen to attempt to hack a real macintel to try to get EFI working on my D945 mobo. for this, the EFI team (within which i would like to include myself) require a real macintel. evidence of my contribution to the EFI efforts so far:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=115377

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=113541

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=113709

ok 37k users, on average alexa says 9 million page views a day. we'll say each page is 4k due to image caching. according to my calculations, at 9 million page views the bandwidth consumed is at around 1.05GB. His site is hosted off of servermatrix. The cheapest dedi box is $99 a month and can easily handle the site load for this place. 9 million page views from adsense, well that's quite a lot of money.

as i said before, i have no idea how much this site costs to run or how much it makes in ad revenue. none of the staff members are upset at not being paid (which seemed to be your original gripe), so whats the issue?

how about rather than abusing your influence on the community you come up with real suggestions that will promote it further?

i have been an active member of this community since day one - i was there in those very early sessions when we were all still trying to figure out how things work - i was there contributing ideas, suggestions, and files from my powerbook. over the past year, i feel like i have helped a great many people solve a great many problems - perhaps not to the level of writing device drivers, ok fair enough, but help is needed at all levels, and i've always done my best to help wherever i can, by helping people troubleshoot problems, and sharing my experiences with getting various stuff to work.

i have never once made a cent off anything i've ever done and never intend to.

well done, thats a very laudable attitude.

it's {censored} like this that gives hobbyist communities a bad name because of some greedy f***s. this is not 'giving back to the makers' at all. if that were true you would have suggested helping out some of the people that really deserve one like omni or anyone else that does actual work.

have a look here: http://omni.starchaser.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35#35

as you can see, i fully admit that others have done more for the community. i also dont appreciate being called a greedy f**k.

instead you and mash decided to do this for yourself and won't allow anyone else the ability to spam their own macbook referrals on this site. truthfully i can't wait until after you finish your macbook because this place will be full of OMG GIVE ME A REFERRAL posts. it will be quite lol if you ask me.

it blows my mind that you can make such statements without checking whether they are, yknow, actually true. anyone who has been an active member of this community is free to start a referrals thread in The Marketplace. NOBODY is preventing any *active* member of the community from doing this. we have removed a couple of posts by people looking for referrals - but these were people who registered on the site with the sole intention of getting referrals. they are not interested in mac os x on intel. we feel it would be unfair for our site to support them in this way. doesn't that seem fair to you?

we have also chastised people (though, importantly, we did not delete their posts) for trying to hijack other people's referral threads. to me, this falls under the heading 'good netiquette'. again, does that not seem perfectly reasonable to you?

sorry you never saw the irc channel because that was my primary access point. it WAS where all the developers hung out and swapped info on porting to intel arch. it was completely destroyed by shad because of his insane administration. there were *a lot* of digg referrals that mash pushed constantly in the channel. yeah, it's not on the forum but he's still representing osx86project in the irc channel and it still makes a bad name for him.

if you had read my posts on your efi sub-forum you'd notice that we already tried what you're doing. there's no point in getting it to work, you would need the actual EFI code because you have to rebuild an entire EFI image and the intel EFI bootdisk doesn't have EFI fully implemented. on top of that once you remove efi from the kernel it's not needed. the reason the new kernels can't be used is because they have no acpi code in them. not because of efi. even if you could get them to run it wouldn't work because well, we don't have the same power management as core duo.

well, the EFI project is very forward-looking - for example to a time where we are running Core processors, which should have compatability with the latest kernels. EFI is still an important step to getting complete compatability. you dont think so, thats fine - everyone is entitled to an opinion, and i thank you for sharing your experiences. in fact i had read that post, i just didnt put two and two together that the helpful sampson in the EFI thread might be the dude who is determined to keep this flamewar going... (dont go mad.. im joking!! :D)

i can be quite helpful when needed, i'm not a fan of people cashing out on a community. if you read that post you quoted about omni you'll see he turned down the idea of a mbp. he suggested some other things but it was purely a joke.

i can be quite helpful when needed, i'm not a fan of people cashing out on a community. if you read that post you quoted about omni you'll see he turned down the idea of a mbp. he suggested some other things but it was purely a joke.

Speaking as one of your exploited people you keep citing in your examples. This didn't cost me a dime. Munky paid me back for every cent I put toward helping him out. I don't mind, or feel "cashed out" at all. You disagree? That's fine, but stop your freakin trolling already.

His motives for this don't have to be site-related at all. Dude wants a Mac, I can understand that, I chose to help him out. That's the bottom line.

Seriously, it's NOT a big deal.

thats fine, thats omni's choice.

all we've asked for from the community is volunteers to help. we've refunded all expenses people have incurred for doing these offers, so nobody is out of pocket. in fact, many folks have gained some nice freebies as a result of these offers, including winning cash from the poker sites.

nobody is required to help. if people dont like the look of the referrals site, or dont like the offers, (or just plain dont trust us to pay them back) they are free to opt out at any time.

additionally, anyone in the community is free to start up a referrals thread in The Marketplace. nobody is stopping them.

so, in summary:

- people are free to choose to help if they want to

- it costs them nothing

- it gains them things - free trials, cash winnings, etc

- they are all free to start referrals threads of their own

the purpose of trying to secure real macintels for the osx86project has been stated again and again. we're trying to break away from the 'hackintosh-only' scene, and build our image as THE premier site for ALL things osx-on-intel.

but you've made your point - you dont like the idea. thats fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

i consider this debate over.